• Published 7th Aug 2014
  • 477 Views, 1 Comments

The Order of the Moon - Thunder Quill



Long ago, far before Celestia and Luna came to power, there was an order that worshiped the moon. When Luna gained control over the moon, they worshiped her as a goddess. When she became Nightmare, they learnt dark magic to combat this new threat.

  • ...
3
 1
 477

Chapter 1

Twilight Sparkle slammed the door shut to her room in Ponyville Library. Today she was supposed to research how to prevent Nightmare Moon from escaping, and all she had done was get roped into an overly huge breakfast, tackled by an egomaniac Pegasus who got her soaking wet, then tried to dry her off, only to mess up her mane. A prissy Unicorn then tried to change her whole look, and an overly shy pegasus who tackled her to get to her Dragon assistant, Spike.

Twilight sighed, this was not how this day was supposed to go. She gazed up at the moon, which held the image of the Mare In the Moon. “You know, moping over things like this never really get anything done.” A voice from behind Twilight said, a loud crack ringing out.

Twilight whipped around to see two of the strangest creatures she had ever seen, standing around a table with six holes and covered with green felt. They were both bipedal, like A minotaur, but that was where the similarities ended. One of them was really tall, who wore a black cloak with silver lines, mostly centered around the shoulders. Under the cloak was some armor. The chest plate had a silver moon, with the palm of a hand in the middle, black lines spreading from the center of the marking to the edge which was beginning to crumble. He wore boots that were as black as a moonless night, and his face was covered with a metal mask which covered the upper portion of his face. The mask was silver and at the corner of his eyes there was a engraving, colored midnight blue and extended to the bottom of his mask which stopped at the bottom of his nose.

The other one was shorter than the first, but he was still taller than Twilight. He wore a midnight blue cloak with a hawk design on the hood, he wore full plate armor that seemed to glow with an ethereal light. On his hip was a sword, but slightly different than a normal sword. The blade was straight, but then it curved in a crescent moon like shape. In his left hand was a shield that looked like a full moon with a design exactly the same as the Mare in the Moon. Showing underneath his cloak was a recurve bow. He wore a kind smile on his face, but his hazel-blue eyes gleamed with cold intelligence.

Twilight was shocked silent for a moment, before shaking her head rapidly. “What the hay are you?!”

The tall creature in the mask snorted, “That is not important at the time, you will learn, all in due time. For now we have a message, there will be a great evil in this festival, from there you will know what to do, but note, there will be trials ahead on the broken road, leading to desecrated grounds.”

The being with the hawk cloak sighed, “Way to sound less creepy bro, we’re trying to warn her, not scare her half to death.” He turned to Twilight, “Sorry about him, he takes creepy lessons from a master. In non-creepy language, something bad, really bad is going to happen after the Summer Sun Celebration, and only you and five others can save Equestria.”

The masked being slapped the smaller one behind the head. “For starters that is hurtful and way to kill the mood man. Do you have to always kill all my fun!?”

The smaller one rubbed the back of his head, “Watch your bucking strength mate, that really bloody hurt. The Order doesn’t creep people on purpose, we help.”

“Sorry man, still trying to get used to it-wait, someone is coming.”

The masked being and the man in the hawk cloak disappeared in a flash as the door opened, “Hey Twilight, the ceremony is going to start soon, we should get going.” Spike said, entering the room.

Twilight’s head whipped around, trying to locate where the strange creatures went. “Wha-?” She shook her head, “Nevermind. Let’s go Spike.” Twilight levitated Spike onto her back and trotted out of her room.

The main room of the library, previously covered with tables, snacks, games and party decorations was now spick and span, not a particle of dust was anywhere in the Library. “Yeah, Pinkie Pie cleaned up really well,” Spike explained, noticing Twilight’s flabbergasted look, “She wanted to clean the entire library, but everypony else convinced her otherwise.”

Twilight shook her head, for what seemed to be the millionth time that night before walking out the door. Everypony was congregating towards Ponyville Town Hall, where Princess Celestia was supposed to give a speech before she raised the sun and lowered the moon. As they waited for Mayor Mare to finish her speech, Twilight’s mind couldn’t release what the strange creatures had told her, there will be a great evil in this festival? She thought to herself, What great evil… She shuddered as she realized what they meant. Do they mean?

“Where is the Princess?!” A voice shouted out, tearing Twilight from her thoughts. Her head whipped up to where the Princess should be, only to find that she was indeed gone! Oh no… Twilight thought to herself as a dark blue mist coalesced around the podium.

The mist slowly began to take shape, forming a black Alicorn, with midnight blue armor and ethereal hair, slitted teal blue eyes underneath her helm, gleaming with malicious intent. “Oh, my beloved subjects. It's been so long since I've seen your precious, little sun-loving faces.” The evil looking Alicorn spoke.

Rainbow Dash, the Pegasus pony who had gotten Twilight soaked before, charged at the Alicorn, “What did you do to our Princess?” She was yanked backwards by Applejack, owner of Sweet Apple Acres.

Applejack had grabbed Rainbow Dash’s tail in her mouth, “Whoa there nelly,”

The Alicorn chuckled darkly, “Why, am I not royal enough for you? Don’t you know who I am?”

Pinkie Pie, so called party pony of Ponyville, hopped around excitedly, “OHH OHH! More guessing games! Um, Hokey Smokes! How about, Queen Meanie! NO! Black Snootie, Black Snootie-!” She kept making muffled noises as Applejack stuck a hoof in her mouth, Rainbow Dash having settled down enough for AJ to let go of her.

The Alicorn was visibly angry at this point, “Does my crown no longer count now that I have been imprisoned for a thousand years? Did you not recall the legend? Did you not see the signs?” She hissed the last part.

Twilight, not being sure if it was bravery or stupidity that made her do this, stood up and called out, “I did. And I know who you are. You're the Mare in the Moon – Nightmare Moon!”

The assembled ponies gasped loudly as this fact was made known as Nightmare Moon laughed a bit, “Well well well, somepony who remembers me. Then you also know why I'm here.” She glared at Twilight.

Twilight shrunk at the harsh gaze of the Nightmare goddess, “You're here to... to…” She gulped audibly, not able to finish her sentence.

Nightmare Moon chuckled again, “Remember this day, little ponies, for it was your last. From this moment forth, the night will last forever!” She gave a highly evil laugh as lightning flashed and thunder roared. Nightmare dissipated into black mist and floated away.

The entire crowd was shocked, until one pony screamed, causing everypony else to start panicking, rushing around and screaming, “WE’RE ALL GONNA DIIIIIEEE!!!!

Twilight rushed back to the library, Spike also panicking on her back. “Uh, we gotta stop Nightmare!” He began hyperventilating, before Twilight’s horn glowed slightly, causing Spike to begin snoring.

Twilight rushed into the Golden Oaks Library ran up the stairs to their room. “You've been up all night, Spike. You are a baby dragon after all.” She said softly as she placed him gently in his basket, before running back down stairs. “Elements, elements, elements... Ugh!” She exclaimed as she tried to find information, any information about the Elements of Harmony, the most powerful magic known to ponydom. The Elements were used to seal away Nightmare moon over 1000 years ago. “How can I stop Nightmare Moon without the Elements of Harmony?” She cried, holding her hooves to her head.

“Look under E.” A familiar voice said.

Twilight whipped around again to see the two strange creatures from earlier leaning against one of the book cases. “What?” She asked, not even fazed with the strange creatures anymore.

“Look under E, Elements of Harmony, land sakes, you’re Celestia’s prize Student, show some damn common sense!” The one with the hood berated her. Twilight lowered her head in embarrassment.

The taller one slapped him again, “You know I am the only one that berates people, you're the voice of wisdom to everyone, you should know that every second wasted is a second lost!”

The smaller male glared at his friend, “Again, WATCH YOUR DAMN STRENGTH! You nearly took my bloody head off with that one. She’s the smartest Unicorn in Ponyville, if not Equestria, she should have some bloody common sense.” He sighed, “Sorry, we’re just a bit short on time, you were at Town Hall, you saw who has risen.” Hood said.

Mask snarled a bit, “The fate of all Equestria rest on the Elements of Harmony, find them as fast you can.”

They disappeared as the door swung open with a bang. Rainbow Dash charged in, an angry look on her face, “And just what are the Elements of Harmony? And how did you know about Nightmare Moon, huh? Are you a spy?” Her rant was cut off as AJ grabbed her tail again, dragging her back, “Whoa!” Rainbow yelped as she fell on her flank.

AJ glared at her friend, “Simmer down, Sally. She ain't no spy.” She turned her head to the lavender Unicorn, “But she sure knows what's going on. Don't you, Twilight?”

Twilight nodded, “I read all about the prediction of Nightmare Moon. Some mysterious objects called the Elements of Harmony are the only things that can stop her, but I don't know what they are, where to find them; I don't even know what they do!”

Pinkie bounced over, a book balanced on her nose, “The Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide.”

Twilight grabbed the book, opening it quickly, “There are six Elements of Harmony, but only five are known: Kindness, Laughter, Generosity, Honesty and Loyalty. The sixth is a complete mystery. It is said, the last known location of the five elements was in the ancient castle of the royal pony sisters. It is located in what is now--”


“The Everfree Forest!”

Everypony looked up in fear at the imposing forest. Well, all except for Pinkie, “Whee! Let's go!” She giggled, bouncing in place.

Twilight sighed, “Not so fast. Look, I appreciate the offer, but I'd really rather do this on my own.” She began to walk forwards, only to be outpaced by Applejack.

“No can do, sugarcube. We sure ain't lettin' any friend of ours go into that creepy place alone. We're stickin' to you like caramel on a candy apple.” She said with a finality that brooked no argument.

Everypony hmphed in agreement, except for Pinkie Pie, “[i[Especially if there's candy apples in there.” She gained a blank stare from Twilight, who sighed and walked after the rest of them, “What? Those things are good.”

The group walked in silence for a while, before somepony broke it, “So, none of you have been in here before?” Twilight asked as they walked across a steep cliff face.

Rarity, the prissy fashionista who had tried to dye Twilight’s fur another color made a sound of disgust, “Ugh, Heavens no! Just look at it - it's dreadful!”

Applejack gave Rarity a look, “And it ain't natural. Folk say it don't work the same as Equestria.”

Twilight gave the farmpony a confused look, “What's that supposed to mean?”

Rainbow flew away silently, seeing a good opportunity to play a prank, despite the urgency of the situation. “Nopony knows. You know why?” Her disembodied voice echoed throughout the cliff face,

Applejack gave a stern glare towards the source of the sound, “Rainbow, quit it.”

Rainbow floated in front of the visible light, her face being lit in a scary way. “'cause every pony who's ever come in, has never come out!” She said in a spooky voice.

All of a sudden, the cliff face started to crumble. Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash managed to get out of the danger zone, but Applejack and Twilight began to slip down the falling stone. Somehow, the stone stopped moving, but the sudden stop caused Twilight to lose her balance. She began to fall, but Applejack managed to grab onto her hooves at the last moment.

Twilight’s face began to calm, “Thanks Applejack, can you pull me up?”

Applejack’s muscles were strained just holding Twilight up, “Ah, Ah can’t sugarcube.”

Twilight’s face began to panic again, “Wh-what do I do?”

Applejack was struggling to remain calm, until she saw something that relieved her immensely, “Let go.”

Twilight stared at the farmpony, “Are you bucking crazy!?” She screamed.

Applejack gave her a stern look, “No cursing, and no ah ain’t. Ah promise you’ll be safe.”

Twilight was began to freak out, “No I won’t! There’s an 200 hoof high cliff!” She screamed, writhing in AJ’s hooves.

Applejack gripped Twilight’s hooves tighter, “Now listen here, ah’m telling you the honest truth, you will be fine.” She stared at Twilight with a kind look.

Twilight gazed back, nodding before letting go with an ear piercing scream, “AHHHHHHHH!” She continued screaming even after Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash caught her.

Rainbow’s ears flicked in annoyance, “Can you stop that? I kind of need my hearing.”

Twilight’s mouth froze midscream, a red blush staining her cheeks, “Heh, sorry.” She mumbled sheepishly.

Rainbow rolled her eyes and smiled as Applejack jumped up off the rock, which fell down the cliff face, “It’s cool. Did you see how I caught you? That was so cool! And then I” Rainbow kept on bragging about her heroic exploits, not realizing that they were being watched.


Two creatures in armor and cloaks sat in a tree, the one in a hawk hood leaning back, the one in the mask crouching alertly. “Well, that went well.” Hood said. When Mask didn’t respond, Hood sighed, “What’s got your armor in a bunch? That Applejack didn’t tell Twilight that Rainbow and Fluttershy were going to catch her?”

Mask turned to face his friend, “That is not the problem, the problem is that the cliff crumbling could not have been natural, I felt the ground beneath them move, Meaning we have a spector here, or Nightmare Moon.”

Hood sighed, “No shit it was Nightmare Moon, we already knew she was going to try to stop them, this is probably just the first obstacle.”

Mask turned back towards the group of ponies, “ There on the move again, lets roll.”


The group continued walking in silence, until a ear shattering roar filled the air. “A Manticore!” Twilight gasped, as the manticore roared again.

The manticore blocked the path forwards, and a sudden crashing noise made it known that the path backwards had been blocked with rubble. “We have to get past it!” Twilight yelled, as Rainbow Dash charged the beast, only to be swatted back.

Rarity was the next to try to take down the beast, with the same result, “AIEEE! MY MANE!” She screamed, fainting dramatically.

AJ pulled a lasso out of hammerspace and tied up the manticore slightly, “All yours pardner.” She said as Rainbow rushed past her.

“I’m on it!” She growled, before yelping in pain as the manticore pinned her to the ground.

“RAINBOW!” Twilight screeched, drawing the attention of the beast, who growled. Twilight snorted and changed her stance, her horn glowing.

“WAIT!” Came the yell from the most unlikely of ponies. Fluttershy, the shy animal caretaker strode up to the beast, who, now that the ponies took a look, seemed to be in pain. Fluttershy moved the beasts massive paw around, revealing a giant thorn. “Aww… You poor little baby,” She cooed, rocking the paw back in forth.

“LITTLE!?” The rest of them yelled.

Fluttershy ignored them, giving the manticore a motherly look. “Now, this might hurt just a bit.” She pulled out the thorn quickly, causing the Manticore to roar.

“Fluttershy!” Everypony yelled, only for their jaws to drop. The manticore was now licking Fluttershy, much like a cat would. “Awww… you're just a little ol' baby kitty.” She giggled, the manticore bounding away.

Everypony was shocked to say the least. “How did you know about the thorn?” Twilight asked her.

Fluttershy simply smiled, “I didn’t, sometimes you just have to show a little kindness.”


Hood’s mouth also hung loose, “How in the holy hell did she bloody manage that!?” He exclaimed.

Mask shook his head, “That should not be possible, that manticore should not have gotten the thorn that big plus it turned to blueish smoke meaning…”

“Nightmare Moon used the thorn to make the manticore rampage.” Hood finished, shaking his head. “She’s getting stronger, a thorn isn’t that much, but it’s creating living matter, that takes a hell of a lot of energy!”

Mask nodded, “There they go again, lets go and can we just forget about the manticore acting like a kitten?”

Hood nodded, “Please.”


The group continued walking, until Rarity suddenly stopped trotting, “No. My eyes need a rest from all this icky muck.” As if on command, fog began to seep in from everywhere. “Well, I didn't mean that literally.”

Twilight sighed, “That ancient ruin could be right in front of our faces and we wouldn't even know it.” She groaned, before yelping as something bumped into her.

“Oh sorry darling, I just didn’t see you there.” Rarity said apologetically.

Rainbow bumped into something soft, “Right there… guh…” Her face turned bright red as she realized what she bumped into.

Applejack took her right fore hoof off the ground. “Ah think ah stepped in somethin’.” Suddenly, Fluttershy let out a screech. “Don’t worry, it’s just mud.” The tree next to her growled, causing AJ to yelp and jump back.

Soon enough the group was surrounded by scary looking trees, and all the mares were screaming. Well, all except one. “Bleh, ooo!” Pinkie Pie dissolved into laughter.

“Pinkie, what are you doing!? Run!” Twilight screamed.


Once again, Hood’s jaw was loose, “How in the holy balls is that even possible!?”

Mask shook his head in disbelief, “What? The fact that Pinkie Pie did that or the fact that Nightmare Moon is getting stronger to cause faces to appear on the trees?”

“Mostly Pinkie, but that wasn't a normal Illusion spell, that was a high level fear spell.” Hood explained, “We’re a mile away, and I still felt the affects of it.”

Mask nodded, “I’m used to that stuff,” He paused as he looked towards the group, “There they go again, let’s go.” He began to leap from tree to tree.

Hood followed his friend, humming giggle at the ghostly.

Mask glared at Hood, “You're one step away from a one way trip down the mountain”

Hood instantly shut up.


The group came to a great river, too wild to even dream of crossing it manually.

Everypony looked around for something they could use to cross, to no avail, “How are we gonna cross this?” Pinkie asked, still moving around at a near invisible speed. A loud sobbing noise emanated from below the surface.

A purple serpent-like creature exploded up from below. As he landed, he caused a massive wave of water, soaking the group of mares. Twilight shivered due to the combination of the water and the cold air, before casting a spell that dried them off. The serpent had gleaming purple scales, well manicured claws, and a orange mane and mustache, well, half a mustache. It had seemed to be cut off at the base on the right side. He writhed along the surface of the river, sobbing uncontrollably. “What a world, what a world!” The serpent sobbed.

The group had no idea of what to do. Then Rainbow pushed Twilight forward, grabbing the serpents attention. Twilight shot an angry glare at Rainbow, who laughed nervously, before turning back to the still sobbing serpent. “Ex-excuse me sir?” She stuttered out, clearly afraid of the serpent who could eviscerate her with ease, “Wh-why are you crying?”

The serpent gave Twilight a disbelieving look, gesturing towards his torn mustache, “Well, I don't know. I was just sitting here, minding my own business, when this tacky little cloud of purple smoke just whisked past me and tore half of my beloved mustache clean off, and now I look simply horrid!” He dissolved into wails again.

Rainbow rolled her eyes in disbelief, “Oh, give me a break.” She groaned.

Applejack was also in disbelief, “That’s what this is all about?”

Rarity stepped forward, giving them a disapproving look, “Why, of course it is!” She gestured towards the sobbing serpent. “How can you be so insensitive? Oh, just look at him. Such lovely luminescent scales!”

The serpent sniffed, “I know.”

“And your expertly coiffed mane!” She praised, gazing at it.

The serpent placed his hand on his head dramatically, “Oh, I know, I know!” He cried.

“Your fabulous manicure!” Rarity said dramatically.

The serpent gasped, “ It's so true!” He said, admiring his claws.

“All ruined without your beautiful mustache!” Rarity cried.

The serpent began to break down again, “It's true, I'm hideous!” He sobbed, crying bowling ball sized tears.

Rarity harrumphed, “I simply cannot let such a crime against fabulosity go uncorrected.”

She strode towards the serpent and yanked out one of his scales, causing him to yelp, “Whatever did you do that for?”

Twilight stared at Rarity, who held the scale in her mouth, “Rarity, what are you-” She stopped suddenly as Rarity swung her head, slicing off her tail, which was levitated in a light blue magical aura.

The tail moved towards the serpent, before attaching itself to his mustache, repairing it. The serpent moaned in delight, “Oh-hohohoho! My mustache. How wonderful.” He cried out in joy.”

Rarity looked at him with a keen eye, “You look smashing.”

As the serpent writhed about in joy, Twilight turned to Rarity, “Oh, Rarity, your beautiful tail…”

Rarity dismissed her concern with a simple wave of her hoof, “Oh. It's fine, my dear. Short tails are in this season. Besides, it'll grow back.”

“So would the mustache.” Rainbow whispered to Applejack.

Twilight gave them a look, before smiling at the now calm river, “We can cross now. Let's go!” She let out a yelp as the serpent lifted them up, “Ah!”

The serpent smiled, clearly overjoyed, “Allow me.” He placed them gently on the other side.


Hood shook his head. “That was, unexpected… The serpents mustache would grow back… Rarity really didn’t need to do that…”

Mask nodded, “I am still shocked with that, mares don’t give up their hair easily.”

Hood grumbled, “It was really generous, but really stupid. She didn't need to do that at all.”

Mask sighed, “And they now get closer to the ruins. Lets catch up at the front door.”

Hood nodded. “We can keep an eye on them, from there, that rope bridge is a hazard to everything.”


The group raced towards the castle, which was now in sight, “There it is, the ruin that holds The Elements of Harmony. We made it!” Twilight cried, racing ahead of everypony else.

Applejack reached out with a hoof, “Twilight, wait for us!” She cried.

Twilight looked back, “We’re almost there!” She cried, before yelping as she suddenly encountered another cliff, “Whoa!” She screamed as she began to fall, only to be caught by Rainbow.

Rainbow snorted as she pulled Twilight back on to less shaky ground. “What’s with you and falling off cliffs today?”

Pinkie sighed sadly, “Now what?” Rainbow gave her a blank stare, pointing at the other side. A rope bridge had snapped on the other side, making travel easy to fix. “Oh yeah!” Pinkie exclaimed, back to her excited demeanor.

Rainbow shook her head and flew over to the other side, grabbing the broken sides of the rope along the way. She began to tie the ropes, when an ethereal voice called out, “Rainbow…”

The Pegasus in question looked around, “Who’s there?”

The voice called out again, “Rainbow…”

The prismatic Pegasus glared around, “I ain’t scared of you! Show yourself!”

The fog started to gather around the path forward, and three Pegasi dressed in purple and black outfits with a gold lightning bolt along the neck and knees trotted forwards. “We have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of the best flyer in Equestria.” The one in the middle said softly, a mare with dark pale blue hair, clearly the leader.

Rainbow looked a bit put out, “Who’s that?”

The leader chuckled softly, “Why, you of course.”

Rainbow perked up again, “Really?” She said, highly surprised, before remembering her boasts, “ I mean... Oh yeah, me. Hey, uh, you wouldn't mind telling the Wonderbolts that, would ya? 'cause I've been trying to get into that group for like, ever.”

The leader laughed softly again, “No, Rainbow Dash. We want you to join us, The Shadowbolts.” She gestured towards the other two Pegasi, “We're the greatest aerial team in the Everfree Forest, and soon we will be the greatest in all Equestria, but first, we need a captain. The most magnificent-”

“Yep,” Rainbow said proudly.

“Swiftest,” The leader continued.

“Yes,” Rainbow puffed out her chest.

“Bravest flyer in all the land.” The leader finished, still speaking in a soft tone.

Rainbow chucked, “Yes, it’s all true.”

The mare began circling Rainbow Dash, “We need... you” She whispered.

Rainbow cheered in excitement, “WOOHOO! Sign me up. Just let me tie this bridge real quick and then we have a deal.” She began to turn back to the rope bridge.

“NO!” The mare yelled, the first time her voice had changed from the soft tone, “It's them or us!” She hissed.

Rainbow looked back and forth between her friends and her dreams. Twilight called back from the other side, “Rainbow, what's taking so long?” She gasped as she saw the Shadowbolts, “Oh no! Rainbow! Don’t listen to them!” She managed to say as fog appeared across the chasm, cutting of all communication.

Rainbow glared at the Shadowbolt leader, who looked at her expectantly. “Well?”

Rainbow snorted and tied the knot on the bridge, “No, thanks for the offer, but my friends need me.” She dashed across the chasm as the Shadowbolts flew away angrily.

The group cheered as Rainbow’s speed cleared the fog, “ See? I'd never leave my friends hangin'.” She said as the group walked across the bridge.


Hood nodded proudly, “Not surprised that Rainbow did that, she doesn't seem the type to abandon her friends.” He said as him and mask sat in front of the entrance to the castle.

Mask nodded in agreement, “That helps her in the long run.”

Hood smirked, “Here they come, I can’t wait to see their faces when they see mysterious creatures.”

Mask sighed, “It’s showtime, lets go for it, hand me that rock so I can sharpen my sword.”

Hood nodded, levitating the rock and giving it to Mask.


Twilight and the rest of the group approached the entrance to the castle, as they heard a twanging noise, along with a repeating shing noise. “What in tarnation is that?” Applejack asked.

Twilight was just as confused as AJ. “I don’t know, but it seems to be close…” She trailed off as she saw who was making the noise. The males in the hood and the mask were in front of the castle, the one with the mask sharpening a bastard sword, the one with the hood firing arrows into a tree. The entire group stared at them in shock.

Hood raised his head and noticed the ponies staring in shock at them, “Oi, Spyro, they’re here.”

Spyro looked up from his blade, “Well nice to meet you I’m Spyro and this here is Thunder.” Spyro said, throwing the rock up in the air and sliced it clean down the middle.

“Hi, nice to meet you, Twilight, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, nice job on the obstacles. Oh, and Pinks?” Thunder directed the last part directly towards the hyperactive pink ball of fluff, whose ears perked. “Giggle at the ghostly.” He whispered.

Pinkie instantly began humming the song, causing Rainbow Dash to stare at Thunder, “Just who the hay are you?”

Thunder was about to respond, but a loud explosion rang out from behind the mares, creating a swarm of fog. “This can’t be good…” Thunder muttered, drawing his bow and aiming it towards the fog.

The mist began to swirl, turning a dark blue and coalescing into Nightmare moon. “Ahh, you troublesome ponies, who have overcome every obstacle I have laid.”

Thunder’s face, usually wearing a kind expression, was morphed into a picture of pure rage and hatred. “False goddess, corrupter of the Pure, destroyer of the serene, you shall be struck down this day.” He snarled, firing an arrow at Nightmare, who deflected it instantly.

Spyro glared at the Nightmare, “Evil spirit, you shall be purged. When I’m done with that, I’ll hunt down your spirit and inflict torment on it for all eternity for corrupting our goddess.” He growled as he formed a black sphere, crackling with dark energy and tossed it at her.

Nightmare blocked the spell, albeit with some difficulty. “The way you dare speak to me, who are you?” She snarled, her eyes narrowing dangerously.

Thunder growled, throwing off his cloak and showing the emblem on his breastplate, a crescent moon surrounded by a black cloudy sky. “We are The Order of the Moon. And we shall bring back the proper Princess of the Night, the calm guardian of peaceful dreams and destroyer of nightmares.”

Spyro snarled at Nightmare, “We shall bring you to the deepest pit in hell that I can throw you into” He roared as he became surrounded by darkness and when it cleared the cloak and mask was gone and a glow was appearing on the shoulders, knee caps, and back of his neck showing the same symbol from the breastplate.

Nightmare’s eyes widened in fear, “You were destroyed centuries ago.” She breathed in disbelief.

Thunder smirked, “Our reputation was tarnished, our master made the unfortunate decision for everyone to learn Dark Magic to combat you. Spyro and I were around, those many centuries ago, experiencing the hatred and fear that you caused our Order, we were the guardians of the realm, and now we are believed to be the Nightmare’s most fiercest followers. For that, you shall pay dearly.” He turned to Twilight, go, get the Elements, we’ll hold off Nightmare over here. Comeon Spyro, this bitch needs to pay.” He yelled, drawing his sword and shield and charging the Nightmare. Twilight nodded and the group raced inside.

Spyro laughed, “HAHAHA! This’ll be fun.” He cackled, charging at nightmare behind his brother.

Thunder reached nightmare in a second, his blade glowing with a black light. “Midnight Strike!” He yelled, swinging his blade in an overhead strike. As it reached the peak of the arc, the sword expanded, slamming into Nightmare’s shield, cracking it.

Spyro reached Nightmare next, his body glowing pure dark energy and pure white eyes, increasing his attack, while his sword started to glow black. The blade of the sword started to twist, and when he struck, the sword twisted around nightmares defence and sliced her left hind leg a bit. “Shadow sneak! You have to love it!” Spyro yelled.

Nightmare’s left hind leg buckled, sending her to the ground slightly. Her eyes glowed dangerously, “This has gone on long enough!” She roared, a wave of magic smashing into Spyro and Thunder, sending them to the ground, before vines grabbed their limbs, immobilizing them. “The order always was weak.” Nightmare spat, before dissipating into black smoke and flying towards the tower.

Thunder struggled against the vines, “Damn it!” He snarled, his right hand lighting up with a dark light. The vines were disintegrated instantly. “We need to get going, need any help bro?” He asked his brother.

Spyro then looked to his left and his eyes widened “How about you keep those things away as I get out?”

Thunder looked towards the location that Spyro was staring at. A horde of zombie like ponies, gryphons and other creatures rose out of the ground. “Darkspawn.” Thunder hissed, drawing his bow. He shoot a couple of arrows at the beasts, doing nothing at all. He swore in an unfamiliar language, “Barzul knular!” He nocked another arrow and raised his bow to the sky. The arrow began to glow a bright white as the Darkspawn lurched closer. As the arrow became blinding white, Thunder released it. “STARFALL!!!” He roared as the arrow pierced the heavens. A couple of seconds passed, in which Thunder quickly put up a shield around him and Spyro. Bright lights began to fall from the sky, each destroying a couple of Darkspawn in the direct hit, and much more in the area of effect blast. For 30 seconds, the stars continued to fall, and in that time all of the Darkspawn were taken out. Thunder swayed where he stood, releasing the shield. “Haven’t done that move in a while.” He groaned.

Spyro finally got out of the vines and looked at the area that the darkspawn where at “You go on ahead to Twilight and the others, I sense more of them coming.” Spyro said as an zombie dragon rose out of a pile of rubble. Thunder nodded, dashing into the castle. Spyro looked at where his brother disappeared, before turning back to the dragon and charging.

Thunder dashed through the castle, slashing any Darkspawn that rose in his path. “Where the hell did they get the bodies to do this!?” He growled as he toppled a Minotaur darkspawn. He continued through the hordes towards the tower that contained the Elements. The castle shook suddenly, almost causing Thunder to fall down the stairs. “That can’t be good.” He muttered, dashing up the final steps into the chamber.

What he saw horrified him. Twilight, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy were wearing the Elements, which was great. What was bad was that Nightmare Moon was holding them in her dark magical aura by their necks. Twilight had already passed out, and the others were on their way. Snarling, Thunder drew his bow and nocked another arrow. Drawing it back to it’s full capacity, it began to glow with a blueish white light. “OI, NIGHTMARE!!!” He yelled, drawing her attention, “SEARING MOON!” Thunder yelled, releasing the arrow. The arrow smashed into Nightmare, exploding with the force of a Dragon. Nightmare was forced back onto her flank. Her concentration was broken, dropping the Element bearers. Thunder rushed forwards, stopping at Applejack. “You OK?” He asked as he drew his sword and shield.

Applejack nodded weakly, “Y-yeah… Give us a couple of minutes.”

Thunder nodded, “Wake up Twilight, the Elements of Harmony are the only things that can stop Nightmare.” He said, charging at Nightmare, who barely had enough time to raise a magical shield.

Nightmare was shocked. Not only had the six mares barely out of fillyhood managed to get past her obstacles, two members of an order long dead were managing to push her to her power limits. She narrowed her eyes, “You want a fight?” She yelled, pushing the male back a bit, “A fight you shall have!” She created a giant sword out of dark energy and swung it at him.

Thunder raised his shield and blocked the blow with difficulty. She’s getting stronger. He thought to himself, I hope Twilight wakes up soon. He glanced back to the group of mares, who were still trying to wake up the Element of Magic. He turned back just in time to duck under another slash from Nightmare. “Big sword, compensating for something?” He mocked.

Nightmare snorted at him, “That insult does not apply to me. It only works for males.” She grinned, showing sharpened teeth and slashing downwards at his head.

Thunder dashed to the side, avoiding the slash, only for a rock to slam into the side of his head. He stumbled, dazed, falling onto his ass. “Ugh…” He muttered.

Nightmare stood over him, a triumphant look on her face. “So much for the last of the Order of the moon.” She taunted, raising her sword. “After I finish your brother, the order will be completely gone.” She began to slash downwards, only to be slammed by a rainbow beam of energy. It hit her so quickly she didn’t have time to react. The beam consumed her, creating a rainbow tornado. The tornado grew in both size and power, before it suddenly vanished, leaving no trace of Nightmare moon.

Twilight and her friends rushed towards Thunder, who was still sitting dazed on the floor. “Thunder, are you OK?” Twilight asked in concern.

Thunder groaned again, shaking his head, “Wha? Yeah, I’m good.” He said, getting up slowly. “Is it over? Did we win?”

“That it is, Protector of The Order of the Moon.” A voice said from behind the group. Everyone turned around to see Celestia, Solar monarch standing a couple of feet away from them, a kind smile on her face.

Everypony bowed, save Twilight, who rushed up and hugged her mentor. “Hello Celestia.” Thunder said, who was the only one not bowing. “Did it work?” He asked, looking at the location where Nightmare Moon disappeared.

Celestia nodded, her horn glowing slightly. The air shimmered slightly, and a small, blue Alicorn mare stood there, a scared look on her face. She wore a black crown and regalia. Her cutie mark was a crescent moon, surrounded by black clouds. Celestia strode towards the blue Alicorn, who was getting more scared by the second. “It has been a thousand years since I have seen you like this, Luna.” Celestia said softly, looking the blue Alicorn over, “ It is time to put our differences behind us. We were meant to rule together, little sister.”

Everypony gasped, “Sister!?” Thunder gave them a glare, which quieted them down.

Celestia smiled at her sister, “Will you accept my friendship?”

Luna was silent, before bursting into tears, “I'm so sorry! I missed you so much, big sister!” She cried, wrapping her hooves around her sister in a hug.

*BOOM!*

A explosion emanated outside the castle, causing everyone to rush outside. When they got there, they saw Spyro in a small crater and a small mound of darkspawn bodies. “Hey guys how did the fight go?” He said as he got out. Multiple cuts criss-crossed across his body and countless nicks in the once shining armor.

Thunder smiled, “Spyro, we did it, our goddess is free.” He gestured towards Princess Luna, before bowing before her, “Milady, it is an honor to see you again after these many long centuries.”

Luna was shocked as she recognized them, “Art thou…”

Thunder nodded, “Aye, we are the last protectors of The Order of the Moon, and my brother and I were the ones who protected you those many years ago.”

Spyro walked forwards, “He is right." Spyro let out a huge yawn, "if you need me I am going to sleep.” He said as he fell over.

Everypony rushed over to him, “Don’t worry about him, when he uses that move he always needs to sleep. It uses almost as much energy as my Starfall attack.” Thunder explained, before looking around, “We should probably get back to Ponyville, diffuse the crisis.” Thunder said, before Pinkie jumped in front of him.

She beamed, “Hey, you know what this calls for?”


“A PARTY!”

Ponyville was overjoyed. Not only did they have the Solar Diarch back, they had the Lunar Diarch back as well. Spyro was still sleeping off his final attack, and Thunder was striding around town. The town had originally freaked out when they saw them, but after Celestia explained who they were, the town welcomed them with open arms. The Element bearers were up on a stage with the Princesses, and all were overjoyed, all save one. “Why so glum, my faithful student?” Celestia asked Twilight, “Are you not happy that your quest is complete and you can return to your studies in Canterlot?”

Twilight sniffed, “That's just it. Just when I learned how wonderful it is to have friends, I have to leave them.” She looked towards her new friends, “I don’t want to leave them.”

Celestia simply gave a smile, “Spike, take a note, please.” Spike saluted and pulled a quill and a piece of parchment out of hammerspace, “I, Princess Celestia, hereby decree that the unicorn Twilight Sparkle shall take on a new mission for Equestria. She must continue to study the magic of friendship. She must report to me her findings from her new home in Ponyville.


Everypony cheered and Twilight was the loudest, “Oh thank you, Princess Celestia! I'll study harder than ever before.”

Everypony laughed, and the party continued well into the night, Thunder and Spyro were given a plot of land on the edge of the Everfree to build a house, since all the houses in Ponyville were too small for them. Everypony was happy, not realising the danger that was yet to come.

Comments ( 1 )

Intresting......

Login or register to comment