• Published 6th Aug 2014
  • 2,079 Views, 74 Comments

For The One We Love - bahatumay



Little Fritter has brought much happiness to newlyweds Fluttershy and Big Macintosh. Too bad 'happily ever after' is only in stories...

  • ...
14
 74
 2,079

Chapter 2

First-time mothers are often nearly overwhelmed by the amount of advice they are given, and Fluttershy was no exception. Her gentle demeanor meant that anypony and everypony felt comfortable dispensing advice on anything and everything from names to what she should eat to how long she should sleep to what music she should listen to; so much so that she'd gotten very stressed at receiving conflicting advice nearly every hour of every day. It had gotten so bad that Mac had decided to pay Scootaloo to run her weekly errands for her so she didn't have to leave her house anymore.

Which, to be perfectly honest, wasn't entirely a bad thing. Her animal friends had really stepped it up to help her out, and even Angel Bunny had toned down his demands somewhat.

Today was one of those delivery days, and Fluttershy was sitting on the newly-installed porch swing and waiting. It wasn't long until a small dust cloud appeared on the horizon, and she continued watching the it grow larger and larger as Scootaloo approached.

She soon arrived over the bridge and skidded to a stop, spraying dirt and gravel as she did. “Hey, Fluttershy! Got your stuff for you!” Scootaloo said cheerfully.

“Thank you, Scootaloo.” Fluttershy grunted and used her wings to help lessen her weight as she got down off the swing, and she walked down the slope to greet her.

Well, technically, it was more of a waddle; but nopony was about to say that to her face.

Fluttershy paused as she neared. “Isn't that your old scooter?” she asked, cocking her head slightly.

Yeah,” Scootaloo said with a tiny frown, twisting the handlebars a bit. They squeaked as she did. “Broke the base of my new one doing a trick yesterday, and I haven't gotten around to asking Apple Bloom if she can fix it yet.” Her smile quickly returned. “But it was so cool I'm not even upset.”

Fluttershy smiled a knowing smile. “Was Rainbow there to see it?”

“She sure was!” Scootaloo said as she began loading up and carrying groceries inside. “She's the greatest not-sister sister ever!”

Fluttershy smiled. “That's gr-” She clutched at her side and groaned.

Scootaloo paused. “Fluttershy? You ok?”

“I'm fine,” Fluttershy said through gritted teeth. “Just a contraction. I've been having them more often recently, nothing to worry about.”

“Uh, Fluttershy? You sure you're ok?”

“Yes; why?”

Scootaloo pointed a timid hoof, and Fluttershy turned. She was startled to see a small puddle of clear liquid forming behind her. Her ears pinned back at the sight.

Scootaloo squirmed uncomfortably and stepped back onto her scooter. “I'll just… go, then?” she said, trying to spare Fluttershy some embarrassment. “Same time next week?”

“That's… that's my water,” Fluttershy whispered in shock. Her wings clamped against her sides and her breathing rate increased. “My water broke.”

Scootaloo bit her lower lip, unfamiliar with this phrase. “Do I need to go grab you some tape or something?” she asked.

Fluttershy’s shock suddenly shifted, and she snapped into action. “No. I need you to take me to the hospital! Tell Mac the foal is coming! Tell Applejack, too! Let Granny Smith know…” Her worried ramblings were cut short by another pained grimace as another contraction hit. “And my parents…”

“You're having your foal?!” Scootaloo finally understood.

“Sooner than I expected,” Fluttershy confirmed with a whimper.

Scootaloo slapped her helmet back onto her head. This was something she could work with. “Then let's go!” She got underneath Fluttershy and by straining and flapping her little wings as hard as she could, managed to somewhat roll Fluttershy into her wagon. She tried to place one of her spare helmets on Fluttershy, but her head was too large; so she abandoned that idea and decided she would just take it a bit slower.


Nurse Redheart sat absentmindedly staring at a stack of paperwork that she had absolutely zero desire to do when suddenly there came what sounded like an explosion. She looked up to see an airborne Scootaloo sailing through the air, having burst through the double doors on her scooter. Redheart could only stare dumbstruck as Scootaloo glided through the air and landed smoothly, skidding to a stop and leaving black marks on the recently-cleaned tile.

Scootaloo looked around and giggled triumphantly. “That was so awesome!” she crowed. “I have got to do that again!” She looked back over her shoulder. “What did you think, Fluttershy?”

In answer, Fluttershy rolled over to the edge of the wagon, pulled her head up and over the lip, and threw up.

Scootaloo winced. “Right.” She looked back up at Redheart. “So, she's kindof having a foal; and also her water broke, so you might want to get that patched up, too.”

Redheart's training kicked in. “Tenderheart! Gurney, now!” she ordered. She vaulted over the desk and grabbed Fluttershy by the shoulders to steady her. “Breathe, Fluttershy. We'll take care of you.”

Scootaloo looked on as the hospital ponies rushed in and helped load her onto a bed. Fluttershy looked back. “Get Rainbow,” she pleaded. “Have her get my parents! Get Mac here, too!” If she wanted anypony else, she couldn't say; she could only curl up and groan as another powerful contraction hit her.

Scootaloo saluted and sped off, scattering paperwork in her wake.


Delivery rooms are fairly chaotic. Ponies rush around, monitoring everything, and it's relatively stressful for everypony involved, especially a new mother. Fluttershy squeezed her eyes closed and curled up as best she could.

Luckily, Mac soon arrived, and she clenched his hoof tightly as increasingly severe pain racked her body.

The medical chatter continued.

“I think she's crowning,” one said.

“Give her more aurora.”

“I'm trying. It's not going in.”

“What do you mean it's not going in? You did put the epidural in right, right?”

A pause. “I thought you put it in.”

“Did we forget to put in the epidural?”

Redheart shook her head. “She’d be screaming in pain without it by now.”

Tenderheart pulled the line and realized that the needle was still capped and unplaced. She looked at Fluttershy with newfound respect in her eyes (as well as horror that this had gone unnoticed for so long). “Sit tight. We'll get you something.”

Fluttershy squeezed Mac's hoof harder.


Earth ponies have a saying that goes something like, 'growing is hard, but the harvest is worth it'. It refers to the hard work that goes into growing crops compared to the joy that comes from eating the fruits of your labors.

It is also used to refer to childbirth. Pregnancy itself is hard, but that magical moment when the nurse gives the mother her new foal, and the magic sparks and she knows the young pony's name, it makes it all seem worth it.

Fluttershy took her foal and brought him in close, and lifted him and touched their foreheads together, so gently that he didn't even wake, and gave him a kiss on the nose. Then she brought him in close, kissed him again, and protectively nuzzled him. Macintosh stood nearby, looking in awe at his wife and foal, and feeling so proud he thought he might literally explode.

“Welcome to the world, little Apple Fritter,” Fluttershy whispered.