• Published 6th Aug 2014
  • 3,639 Views, 57 Comments

Truth or Dare - Alexandrite Ward



Truth or Dare between "just-friends" radio co-hosts Vinyl and Octavia, what could go wrong?

  • ...
13
 57
 3,639

Truth or Dare Anyone?

The whole thing was Derpy’s fault, naturally. How she got to be station manager in the first place is beyond Vinyl’s comprehension, considering she’s the weirdest mare Vinyl has ever met, and she doesn’t even care if the DJs show up on time and doesn’t bother to dress appropriately even for important meetings with big shot executives. And of all the different station managers that Vinyl and Octavia have worked for together, Derpy has the strangest ideas of how to run the station and what makes for good programming.

But somehow Derpy’s dumb idea of entertainment seems to work, because The Pon3 Mix is the most popular morning show in Canterlot. So when Octavia announces in her soft voice that they’re playing Truth or Dare with callers today, the switchboard starts lighting up immediately.

Octavia switches off their mics as the next song in rotation starts to play and turns to Vinyl who is staring at her grumpily. “What is it?” she asks patiently, taking hold of the coffee the intern, Colgate, had brought her this morning and raising it to her parted lips.

“What do you think?” Vinyl asks, rolling her eyes. “We’re really doing the Truth or Dare thing like a bunch of middle school fillies?”

Octavia shrugs one shoulder in that infuriatingly nonchalant way of her. “Why not? I think it’s endearing that our listeners care enough about us to want to know more about our lives outside of the show.”

“That’s not the part I’m worried about.” Vinyl gestures accusingly at Octavia. “We’ll see how much you like it when they’re daring you to go out into the street dressed only in socks” She raises her eyebrows pointedly at Octavia over the brim of her own coffee cup as she takes a swig.

Octavia’ brow furrows and her mouth curves downwards into a frown. “I hadn’t thought of that.”

Vinyl snorts. Her friend’s innocence would be adorable if it wasn’t so irritating. “What, you never played Truth or Dare as a filly, Octavia? Running around in nothing but stripped socks, kissing the pony you like in front of all your friends, putting a raw egg in your hair? You never did any of that?”

Octavia shakes her head, her lips pursing in that disapproving way she has that says ‘You such a filly, Vinyl’, usually reserved for when Vinyl leaves her dirty dishes all over the house they own together, or forgets to do said dishes for the fourth day in a row, or has really loud, enthusiastic sex with some random mare or occasional stallion she picked up in a bar, the sounds of which keep Octavia up all night.

“You know I didn’t have what you would consider a normal childhood, Vinyl,” Octavia chides her, because yeah, that’s right, Octavia had the strictest upbringing imaginable and was forced to go to boarding school like a good little rich filly. And she didn’t even do the things that naughty prep school fillies are supposed to do; she actually studied.

Too bad for Octavia’ stuck up totalitarian parents that she'd dropped them like a hot potato when they’d tried to get her to become a professional musician like the rest of her family, taking an English major instead. And she’d given all that up, too, when her parents cut her off, and switched to Broadcasting in order to get a decent job in a hurry. She hadn’t expected to like it though, and she hadn’t expected to befriend Vinyl, firmly sealing her fate as the Black Sheep of the family.

“Well, take my word for it,” Vinyl says, “and stick with Truth.” That’s her plan and she might get in trouble for it later when the show ends up being incredibly boring, but at least with Truth she can just lie; no one will even know the difference. Vinyl’s not proud of it, but she’s pretty good at lying.

Okay, so maybe she is a little bit proud.

The song comes to a close and Vinyl flicks on her mic. “That was the new song from Imagine Dragons, and you’re listening to The Octavia and Vinyl Show. I’m Vinyl, and me and my friend Octavia are playing-” she glares at her co-host before continuing brightly- “Truth or Dare!”

“Right now we’ve got our first caller on the line,” Octavia continues seamlessly. “Hello Hoity Toity, are you there?”

A stallion’s nasally voice comes over the line. “Yes, good morning. I want to dare Vinyl-”

“Hey, hang on,” Vinyl interrupts quickly. “I haven’t played Truth or Dare since I was a filly but last I remember it was askee’s choice.” Octavia glares at Vinyl who grins back and shrugs at her as if to say whatcha gonna do?

The stallion on the line sighs and says “All right, fine. Truth or Dare?”

“Truth,” Vinyl replies smugly.

“Of course,” the stallion sneers, and they can almost hear the eye roll. “Before you became a radio DJ, what was your dream job?”

“Really, I’ve always wanted to do something with music, but if I could chose, it would have been a club DJ,” Vinyl answers easily, stretching out in her seat and lacing her hooves behind her head. “Definitely a club DJ, those party nights are awesome.”

Octavia leans into her mic, her eyes narrowed and a little smirk on her lips as she looks sidelong at Vinyl. “Yes, Vinyl here always imagined herself something of a genius when it comes to mixing music,” she mocks, ignoring Vinyl’s indignant gasp. “Her ‘wubs’ never did go over well though.”

Colgate’s laugh echoes from the desk outside the studio.

“Hey, you’re one to talk, Ms. Literature,” Vinyl shoots back at Octavia. Her mouth curves into a wicked grin. “All Octavia ever wanted was to have a PhD in Lit. Never did get it, though.” She laughs and winks salaciously at her co-host.

Octavia rolls her eyes. “Very funny, Vinyl.” She hits a button to transfer Hoity Toity back out to Colgate and another to pick up the next line. “Next caller.”

The calls keep coming and they both stick to Truth after Octavia goes against Vinyl’s advice and gives Dare a try. She ends up singing “The Itsy-Bitsy Spider” live on air in a deadpan voice while Vinyl practically rolls out of her seat, howling with laughter, hoof over her mic to dull the sounds. Then they are asked who their celebrity crushes are (Vinyl’s is Luna (because she’s badass) and Octavia says (obviously) Celestia) and Vinyl’s shocked to discover that she’s actually having a lot of fun.

Vinyl’s still chuckling over Octavia’ last answers (“How do you take your coffee?” “Caffeinated”) when she picks up the next call. “Hi, The Pon3 Mix?”
“Hi Vinyl,” the chipper, sure, female voice comes through the line. Vinyl grins over at Octavia, whose lip is twitching in amusement. She waves one slender hoof as if to say go ahead.

“What’s your name, sweetheart?” Vinyl purrs over the line and she’s rewarded when Octavia has to purse her lips together to stifle her laugh.

Vinyl thinks that half the reason she does this - flirting ridiculously with the female callers - is to make Octavia laugh.

“Lyra,” the caller says succinctly.

“Hi Lyra,” she answers, letting her voice drop into a softer range. “You have a question for me and my friend Octavia, here?”

“Yes,” she says immediately, and then goes straight into “are you and Octavia secretly married?”

Vinyl’s speechless. This isn’t the first time someone has wondered if she and Octavia are together, but normally the calls don’t get through to the air. This must be - yep, there’s Colgate, peering in the window at them, practically dancing with glee at Vinyl’s discomfort. This must be payback for when she hid the nerd’s Magic cards last week.

She doesn’t have a sarcastic retort or even an immature innuendo to offer, and her mouth gapes open and closed like a goldfish before she finally manages to stutter out “N-no.”

“What about dating?” Lyra asks.

Octavia turns her head towards her co-host expectantly, her eyebrows raised as she waits in amused silence for Vinyl’s reply.

Finally Vinyl manages to squeak out “No, not dating either. We’re just friends.”

“So let me get this straight. You went to school together, you work together, you moved across the country together and you have a house that you own together? And you’re just friends?” She scoffs, the disbelief evident in her voice even over the phone. “Yeah, right.”

Okay, that all might be true, but only because Vinyl and Octavia make very good radio together. When Ponyville FM had changed hooves and the new management decided to go a different direction with their programming, they’d been let go and forced to move to find work. They ended up having to move several times over the years, bouncing from town to town, place to place, going where the work was - at least until Vinyl’s father had gotten sick and she’d decided to move back home to help him. Octavia could’ve stayed; the station they had been working at in Manehatten at the time had offered to let her keep her job and just replace her co-host, but she’d quit and moved home with Vinyl without a second thought, and Vinyl can’t even think about that too hard because of how much it meant that her best friend was there when she needed her. From there, it only made sense for them to buy a house together instead of continuing to rent, and they needed jobs to pay for the house. And that’s when they’d met Derpy and the rest is history.

But Vinyl can’t say any of that, because it doesn’t actually contradict anything Lyra’s saying, and she knows it. “Octavia, wanna help me out, here?” she asks desperately.

Octavia clears her throat, and there’s a tiny, smug smile playing on her lips, damn her. “Hi Lyra, this is Octavia. Vinyl’s telling you the truth, we’re not married or dating. We’re just good friends.” She pauses to take a sip of her coffee and Vinyl thinks she’s safe so she shoves about half a doughnut in her face like the classy individual she is.

But then Octavia - the traitor - is turning back to the mic and she says, to Vinyl’s complete and utter horror, “But we have slept together.”
Vinyl chokes on her doughnut.

It was chaos. “I KNEW IT!” Lyra crows triumphantly over the line, and Colgate screams a muffled “WHAT?” through the glass, her eyes bugging out as she stares back and forth between Octavia and Vinyl. Vinyl panics and hits the button to play their show title and then segue into the next song, hoping that the transition at least sounds somewhat purposeful and not like damage control, which it absolutely one hundred percent was.

“What the buck, Octavia?!” Vinyl wheezes around the chunks of doughnut still lodged in her throat. Octavia reaches over to casually thump her on the back.

“The game is called Truth or Dare, Vinyl,” the smug mare says, blinking innocently as if she hadn’t just dropped the biggest bombshell of FM radio in - like - ever.

“That’s not even what she asked!” Vinyl feels faint. “You realize you just outed us both on air to thousands of ponies, probably including everyone we know?”

Octavia blinks at her. “So? It’s not a secret, is it?”

“Well, now it certainly isn’t,” Vinyl grumbles. “Is this payback for me spilling cider on your book last week? I said I was sorry, it was an accident-”

“Vinyl,” Octavia interrupts, and Vinyl stutters to a halt. “Relax. If it upsets you so much, I’ll tell all our friends that it was a joke. We can even use the book as an excuse, if you want. I just,” she turns her head, diverting her eyes to squint up at one of the lights, “didn’t know it was such a big deal to you.”

It’s not a big deal. It’s not. But only because Vinyl has spent three years aggressively not thinking about the night that she and Octavia had a little too much cider while watching a marathon of the The Lord of the Rings trilogy and ended up on the couch. It was slow and sloppy and probably the dumbest thing Vinyl’s ever done, but it was still, to this day, the best sex of her entire life. But she doesn’t think about it. Ever.
Except now it’s all she can think about besides the fact that their boss had heard, and oh Celestia, her dad, not to mention half the city, and she’s torn between mortification and fear and being pissed off at Octavia for saying that on the air without even consulting her first and yeah, maybe she’s a little aroused at the suppressed memories that are coming flooding back full force and totally without her permission.

“Whatever, it’s cool,” she mumbles, but she can’t meet Octavia's eyes.

The rest of their shift is subdued, and they cut the game short in favor of some dull conversation about a controversial news story, and Colgate is stuck fielding the calls which serves her right for starting this mess in the first place.

Derpy stops them on the way out of the station, slinging a scrawny hoof around each of them and pulling them to her sides. “Congratulations! I’m so happy for you! You mares make the cutest couple.”

Vinyl casts a pleading look around the back of Derpy’s head at Octavia, who rolls her eyes.

“Derpy, Vinyl would like me to clarify that we’re not together,” Octavia says. “It was one time, many years ago, and I shouldn’t have said it on air.” Her purple eyes slide back to meet Vinyl’s. “It was nothing.”

“Aw, that’s too bad,” Derpy says, giving them each a conciliatory pat after releasing them, and she gets out of there before Vinyl can protest that they don’t need consolation because they’re not in a relationship for Celestia’s sake, and why does no one believe them?!

Ok, so maybe Vinyl knows why no one believes them, but it doesn't mean she had to admit it to herself. To bad for Vinyl though, thoughts about today's Truth or Dare followed her all the way to bed, and into her dreams. She was so screwed.

Author's Note:

Edited: 12/18/14
The idea wouldn't leave me alone so I had to write it and this is what happened. Enjoy!