• Published 6th Aug 2014
  • 1,938 Views, 136 Comments

The Royal Apples: Into the Land of Neverwere - Radical Gopher



Mac finds himself uncertain as to his role as the new Prince of Equestria.

  • ...
3
 136
 1,938

Chapter 07

Everypony stared unbelieving at the statue as it slowly moved across the room to stand next to Spike. “I must seem strange to you of flesh and blood. But I have heart, though now I’m stone and mud.” Zecora placed a friendly hoof across the dragon’s shoulder. “If you all wonder why I can move still, tis thanks to this young dragon’s mystic skill. His magic spells have cured what madness wrought, undoing what HE planned to be my lot."

“Was this HIS doing, the chaos worm?” asked Rarity.

The zebra nodded. “HE cursed me when I would not bow to HIM, thought truth be told HE did it on a whim.” She looked over at the unicorn. “Capricious is HIS mood when HE begins to brood.”

“Helping Zecora was the least I could do,” the dragon explained. “She took me in and raised me after... after Twilight died.”

“Ah’m sorry,” Big Mac replied. “She was a real decent pony.”

“If the truth you tell, did you know her well?”

“Sort of...”

Spike scratched his head briefly. “What do you mean... sort of?”

“He means,” Rainbow interrupted, “that the Twilight he knows is from another place... or time if you get me.”

“Another time?” the dragon asked skeptically.

“Yes,” Trixie responded. “A time and place made different by his existence. You see, on our world he was never born. On his world, he’s an alicorn.” The unicorn put a hoof to her mouth. “Did I just rhyme?”

Zecora smiled and looked at the other ponies, then back to Big Mac, her head turning ponderously. “By all that ticks and tocks... We have a paradox. The world from which you came, is ours...but not the same.”

“Eeeyup.”

“He wants to go home, but before he can he’s got to help us straighten things out here,” Babs added.

Spike looked back and forth between the ponies. “Let me guess, you came here because you thought we could help you?”

“Well...um...not so much you, but Zecora. In ma world, she’s a well-respected sage and shaman,” the stallion explained.

“The same’s true here. That’s why you-know-who put a curse on her when she wouldn’t join his chaos legion.”

“So how may I now aid in this great quest you’ve made?”

“We have a map that shows us how to get to the castle of the pony sisters,” explained Rarity. “Unfortunately, it’s more than a little out of date and doesn’t show us the kind of dangers we might encounter.”

“Yeah,” Rainbow said, interrupting the fashionista. “We were kind of hoping that you’d be able to guide us to the castle.” Rarity gave the pegasus an annoyed, sideways glance.

Zecora let out a sigh that sounded like wind whistling through rocks. “Though true I know which path to trod, our journey’d be a long, slow plod. My hooves of stone would hold you back, for speed is something that I lack.”

“Well,” replied Babs, “if youse can’t come, how’re we gonna figure out how to avoid those threats in the Everfree that the map doesn’t show.”

“Yes,” added Trixie. “The last time they went into the forest blind it almost swallowed them completely. Therefore a guide is essential to our success.”

“And what do you seek in the forest so deep?”

“The same thing we were searching for the first time,” said Rarity. “The Elements of Harmony.”

Zecora pursed her stone lips for a moment. “While it is quite true, I can’t go with you. I can send my protégé. He is quick, and knows the way.”

“Me?” replied the startled dragon. “But I’ve only been there once; that time I was out looking for some thistle-root. The only reason I found the castle was because I could smell the plants from a mile away.”

“But if you found it once,” Rarity said, “you should be able to remember the way.”

“Eeeyup,” nodded Big Mac.

“Yeah, and living out here with Zecora gives you a better idea of the kind of beasties we might run into,” Rainbow asserted.

Spike looked over at the shaman. “You can’t be serious. I don’t know the Everfree as well as you...”

“But you do know it well enough to help them if things get rough.” Zecora reassured him.

“I can’t go,” the dragon said looking at the zebra. “If anything were to happen to me there’d be no pony around to help you. You’d be all alone out here, and the potion I brew for you would eventually wear off. You’d be trapped in stone again.”

Zecora reached up with a hoof and enfolded the dragon with her foreleg. “I understand and feel your fear. Our chance to break HIS power’s near. The aid you give these pony folk may twist HIS curse into a joke.”

“But...”

The zebra moved her hoof under Spike’s chin which she lifted so she could see his face. “The time is now when you must rise and face the world with your own eyes. You’ll lead them to where they must go to learn the secrets they must know.”

The dragon responded by wrapping his arms around Zecora. “Okay...If you want me to go with them, I will. But I’m not doing it for them, or for Equestria. I’m doing it for you. I already lost one big sister. I don’t want to lose you as well.”

The shaman returned his hug, then sent him off to pack what he would need for the journey. While he was gone, she turned to face Big Mac. “This task of yours, succeed it must, for in you we have placed our trust.”

“Ah’ll do what Ah can,” the stallion replied.

Zecora smiled. ”I think that you may do much more. This journey tries you to the core.”

Turning, she walked over to a nearby shelf and picked up a satchel in her mouth. This she deposited at the feet of Trixie. The blue-furred unicorn looked down at it then back at the zebra.

“What is this for?” she asked

“This bag is what I take with me when ere I walk beneath the trees. The potions now contained inside should help you fight or run or hide.”

“But why me?” asked Trixie. “My magic is confined to illusion and theatrical tricks. I can’t even teleport more than a couple of yards.”

“Pony feathers,” laughed Pinkie Pie. “I’ve seen your act, and while you may not want to admit it, there’s more magic about you than legerdemain. You’re the closest pony we have to the Element of Magic.”

“But I’m not a mage. I never went to Celestia’s school the way most unicorns did.”

“Neither have I, darling,” replied Rarity. “Lack of formal schooling isn’t what’s important. Practice and study is.”

“Yeah,” Pinkie asserted. “And I’ve seen the library you keep in your dressing room at the theatre. You have enough books to equal at least a doctorate in Thinkology, or whatever kind of degree they give magicians.”

Trixie looked down at the satchel, then used her magic to levitate it open and examine its contents. “At least you have this stuff labeled,” she muttered to Zecora. “Though I don’t know if it’s a good idea to carry a vile of Grab Grass seed in the same bag as Poison Joke or Dogwood Bark.”

“Everything in there is a powder, and will not mix until you add water.”

“Good to know,” the blue-furred unicorn said as she closed the satchel and settled it across her shoulder.

It wasn’t long until Spike... or Quisque, returned. He had exchanged his shirt for a tan canvas vest filled with pockets. Two knives were strapped to a simple belt, one long, one short. Several pouches hung from the belt as well. He looked at the ponies assembled before him. “Well, I’m ready anytime you are.”

“Then we should leave ASAP,” said Rainbow.

“ASAP?” asked the dragon.

“As Speedily As Pegasi,” she explained, flipping her multi-hued tail jauntily.

“That’s not what I was told it meant,” said Fluttershy quietly.

Pinkie chuckled, looking over at Rarity, Trixie and Babs. “I always suspected she was A Sap, but I never thought I’d hear her admit it.”

Rainbow simply grumbled in response and headed for the door, the others following. Big Mac turned to follow when he felt a hoof touch one wing. He looked back to see Zecora.

“I know that your quest is true and that your best is what you’ll do. But please, bring Spike back home to me. He is my only family.”

The stallion looked at the shaman and nodded once. “Eeeyup.”

**********

They traveled for about three hours before the weather abruptly changed and it began raining. Thankfully, it was normal rainwater and not some odd combination of yogurt and candied yams.

“Where Ah’m from, HE normally made it rain chocolate milk... and sometimes whiskey and soda.” Big Mac offered.

“I don’t think I’d disapprove of the latter, so much darling. Especially after a particularly trying day,” Rarity said with a smile. “But after having survived the cheese storms of two years ago, I never want to see another fondue as long as I live.”

“Youse got that right, sister,” muttered Babs. “It took the Manehatten PD a month to get the patrol wagons back into service. Especially after all that cheese got hard and rancid.”

“I don’t know if any pony’s considered this... but what happens when you find the elements and put... you know who... back wherever he came from?”

The others paused and looked at Spike.

“Well... think about it. All his spells are going to melt away and evaporate like ice on a hot griddle. That means the Nightmare Queen will be released to bring back eternal night.”

“I suppose we’ll just have to deal with her in the same way,” offered Rarity. She looked over at Big Mac. “Didn’t you say the Elements were first used to get rid of her?”

“Ma sister...” the stallion paused for a second, “...told me the Elements cleansed Nightmare Moon from Princess Luna. But that was a couple of years before they were used again ta trap... Uh... HIM.”

“Who’s Princess Luna?” asked Spike

“Celestia’s younger sister,” the alicorn said. “She was possessed by the mare you call the Nightmare Queen and banished ta the moon fer a thousand years. The Elements o’ ma world managed ta break her hold on the princess and reunite the two sisters.”

“I think I remember Twilight saying something about the banishment and all, but nothing about her being Celestia’s sister,” said Rarity.

“Eeeyup... T’were a kinda surprise ta us as well, but it all worked out. The same way it will here.”

“I’m glad somepony thinks so,” said Trixie. She held out a hoof and caught several raindrops. “It’s starting to come down heavier. Maybe we should find shelter.”

Spike pointed ahead of them. “There’s a small cave only about ten minutes farther along this trail. We can hold up there if need be.”

Following the adolescent dragon, it wasn’t long before the cave was found and they were all hunched over a small but warm fire conjured by Trixie. The stage-magician took a couple of minutes to check Zecora’s satchel and make sure its contents were dry. Fluttershy used the campfire to brew a pot of tea for everypony.

The rain outside increased in strength darkening the forest. It continued for about two hours before coming to an abrupt stop. The clouds scattered as rapidly as they had gathered, revealing a nighttime sky. This was in spite of the fact it should have been a couple hours before sunset.

Trixie took advantage of the opportunity to sit on a convient rock to work on her leg brace. It came off easily. She removed a small vial of oil from her saddlebags and applied to several joints. The metallic squeaking was reduced significantly. With nothing else to do, Spike came over and sat down watching her. He noticed that the fur on the withered leg had been shaved off and replaced with a skin tight stocking that matched the unicorn’s fur color.

“You’re the first pony I’ve met with something like that,” he said pointing to the brace. “How’d you ding up your leg.”

Rarity, who was sitting nearby gave the dragon a disapproving look. “That’s rather a crude question to ask.”

Spike shrugged. “I was curious. Twilight always taught me to ask questions when I wanted to know something.”

“Well... there’s asking questions and there’s making a polite inquiry. You should learn the difference.”

“That’s alright,” Trixie said. “The simple truth is that I ran afoul of an Ursa Minor while performing in Las Pegasus a few years back. The creature busted up my act, the casino and me, in that order.”

“That must have been awful,” Spike said.

“I don’t really remember too many details about the incident itself. I know HE happened to be in the audience and decided to liven things up by flooding the town with chocolate. I distracted HIM by challenging HIM to a magic duel. I lost the moment he summoned the Ursa. I’m not really the hero type, but I was pissed about my show being ruined and I couldn’t bring myself to run until the audience had a chance to escape.”

“Did it hurt?”

“Getting swatted by an ursa isn’t pleasant. It can ruin your whole day,” she said with a rueful smile. “I will say this... there’s nothing like spending half a year in a body cast to help one re-imagine their life.”

“And your leg never healed?”

Trixie’s smile vanished and she pursed her lips. “It did, until HE sent his minion, King Sombra, to make a sympathy call on the day I was discharged. That worm didn’t like the fact I’d become a minor hero for standing up to HIM. Sombra ‘chastised’ me with a spell that withered my leg. I suppose I should be grateful he didn’t make me a quadriplegic.

“So you and Zecora have something in common.”

“A lot of ponies have HIM in common. Given a chance, most would gladly give him a quick buck in his tenders... if they could get away with it.” Trixie returned to working on her leg brace.

The adolescent dragon sat quietly for a while, then looked around at the other ponies in their group. “I know I’m somewhat of an outsider, having hidden in the Everfree for the last few years, but I don’t understand. If HE’s such a bad thing for Equestria, then why hasn’t anypony stood up to HIM before now.”

“He’s chaos incarnate,” Rarity explained. “No one has the power to take him on, except perhaps Celestia.”

“So it takes power then...” Spike observed

“Power and somepony to lead the way,” the unicorn said.. “None of us would have dared to go after the Elements if not for you sister, Twilight, the first time and now our big, red alicorn friend over there.” She nodded quickly towards Big Mac.

“Who is he anyway?” the dragon asked.

“He says he’s from another world, just like this one, only there, Twilight didn’t... uh fail to get the elements...”

“You mean die,” Spike corrected her.

“I was trying to be sensitive. She was your sister after all.”

“You don’t have to worry about that around me. I’m a dragon... I’m tough and I can take it.”

“But don’t you miss her?” asked Rainbow who’d been sitting nearby listening.

“Of course I do,” Spike replied. “I miss her every day, and I’ll never say that losing her didn’t hurt, but she’s gone and Zecora’s my new responsibility. It’s easier to get along by focusing on that.”

Rarity nodded quietly to herself. Few stallions she knew could handle loss in such a mature way. Her estimation of the young dragon went up a few points. He was going to grow into a lady killer if he continued to develop along such lines. For a brief moment, she wondered what it would be like to have a dragon as a special somepony, but banished the thought from her head... or at least tried, though it took some effort.

Big Mac decided that staying in the cave until daylight, whenever that happened, would be a good idea. Everypony rested and along about midnight the sun slowly rose in the south, then hovered about a third of the way across the morning sky. That was something the alicorn silently wondered about as they all packed their saddlebags and began their trek once more. How would they restore the normal cycle of the sun and moon once Discord was dethroned? He hoped having Celestia and Luna back in charge would solve that problem. He knew for a fact that there wasn’t anything he could do. Certainly, he had raw magic, but such power was dangerous and best left untapped if the pony wielding it was untrained. He was brought out of his reverie by a scream of terror.

Whirling, Big Mac’s jaw dropped open in both surprise and fear. There before him towered the largest scorpion he’d ever seen. It stood at least two ponies high with a tail as thick as a year old sapling. Its reddish-black stinger glistened with poison. The monster clicked its pincers together loudly and hissed as it examined the prey scattering before it. Focusing on the largest, and potentially most filling morsel, it charged towards the alicorn with a hiss.