• Published 6th Aug 2014
  • 1,935 Views, 136 Comments

The Royal Apples: Into the Land of Neverwere - Radical Gopher



Mac finds himself uncertain as to his role as the new Prince of Equestria.

  • ...
3
 136
 1,935

Chapter 18

Author's Note:

No apologies... no excuses... it's just life. Enjoy and comment.

Babs looked at Rarity and Trixie. “How’d she find us?”

“Pathetic,” grumbled Chrysalis. “How could I not find you, especially after gaining access to the castle’s library?” At a gesture from their queen the drones spread out, encircling the ponies.

“What do we do now?” whispered Fluttershy.

“I don’t know about you,” threatened Rainbow. “But this Bee-itch needs to be scratched... HARD!” She rose up tensing for a charge even as Rarity put a hoof across her shoulders.

“No... We can’t split up... not now!” the fashionista breathed softly.

“So what do we do?”

“Maybe if we could find Prince Macintosh, he’d know,” Fluttershy replied softly.

“He’s in the throne room; but I think he’s trapped somehow.” Spike murmured.

Trixie nodded to herself. “Well, at least it’s a part of the castle I’m familiar with,” she said in an undertone. “Everypony stay close. I use this trick a lot in my act.”

She hoofed a set of glass pellets from the inside of her cape then locked eyes with the queen. “BEHOLD... THE AWESOME MAGIC OF THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE!”

She hurled the pellets against the stone floor causing them to rupture and flash into an instant smoke cloud. The unicorn focused, wrapping the others in her aura, then counted down from five. When she hit three her horn flared and the entire group, Spike included, vanished.

Surprised by the misdirection of the count-down, the queen’s hastily summoned a magical blast that bounced harmlessly off a nearby wall. The queen snarled, sweeping her foreleg across the room. “All of you... Spread out... Search the castle. I want them found, and I want them found NOW!”

The six mares abruptly found themselves back in the throne room. The sudden blast of air made by the teleport caused the two changelings still on guard to whirl away from the door. Seeing the ponies they both leapt into the air in an effort to escape. They found their path blocked by Rainbow and Babs. The minions hissed and charged towards the two ‘alicorns, only to find themselves catapulting back into the room and skidding across the floor, stunned.

“Wow! First time Ay ever did a flyin’ buck like that. If Ay could do that on a daily basis Ay’d have the whole precinct cleaned up in no time.”

“I’ve done that move plenty of times,” boasted Rainbow. “But being able to kick as hard as an earth pony? That makes the move that much cooler.”

“Girls... we need to focus,” called Trixie. “It won’t be long before Chrysalis finds us here, and we’ve got to be ready.”

“I thought we needed to find Prince Macintosh?” asked Fluttershy.

Spike pointed to a translucent block of crystal. “There he is.” The others turned and let out a collective gasp.

“Oh my,” muttered Rarity. “He looks quite a bit like a fly trapped in amber. How do we get him out of that?”

“Maybe we could do some rock bucking, like back on my family’s rock farm,” suggested Pinkie Pie. “My sister Maude could do a wicked jack-hammer move that could bust up any kind of rock you would want.”

“Think youse could copy that?” asked Babs.

“I could try. Maude said it was just a matter of hitting it with your hooves at the right angle, and looking for the cracks.”

Even as she spoke Big Mac’s horn began glowing softly. It spread across the interior of his prison, gaining strength until the outer layer began displaying stress fractures. These spread rapidly until there were so many the figure within could no longer be clearly seen. A high pitched whine filled the room.

“Every pony get back,” yelled Trixie as she skittered away from the chrystal. Moments later it shattered, falling away from the alicorn stallion like a curtain.

Big Mac staggered slightly, the effort having drained him more than a little.

“You okay, big guy?” asked Rainbow.

“Eeeyup.” He shook his head to clear it then looked at the others. “Looks like y’all found the elements... Though Applejack didn’t describe them as turnin’ ya into alicorns.”

“It might be a difference between our world and yours,” Trixie offered. “How did she describe the effect?”

“Kinda like a giant rainbow that jumped out of ‘em and washed over whoever or whatever they was fightin.’”

“Hey guys! Looky over here!” Everyone turned in Pinkie’s direction to see her standing next to a display case filled with what appeared to be snow globes. Smooshing her muzzle up against the glass her eyes tracked back and forth like maniacal pinballs. It’s a petrified pony parade.”

“Darling... how can it be a parade if none of them are moving?” Rarity asked, “though I must admit the craftsmanship is incredibly detailed.”

“Best be careful... Them there ponies is still alive,” Big Mac cautioned.

“Alive?” repeated Rainbow Dash. “But how? Why?”

“Magic,” Trixie replied. “As to why, I’d guess it’s exactly what it appears to be... a prison, filled with every pony Chrysalis ever overcame.”

“But why keep it here?”

“Ay’m bettin’ it’s like the old saying, ‘keep yer friends close and yer enemies closer.’” observed Babs. “Well, these here are Chrysalis’ enemies, so she doesn’t want them getting free any time soon.”

“Hey guys... look here! It’s HIM!” The other ponies quickly gathered around Pinkie, mouths dropping open,

Big Mac nodded. “Ah saw that too. Looks like ‘He who shall not be named’ is as much a part o’ the Bug Queen’s collection as every pony else.”

“But... How?” asked Rainbow.

“Wrong question. What ya got ta ask yerself is who?

“Meaning who’d be powerful enough to trap him like this?” asked Rarity.

The alicorn nodded.

“Well, it can’t be Chrysalis... she doesn’t have enough power herself to pull this off,” observed Trixie.

“So it has to be someone at least as powerful.” Trixie scratched her head briefly. “Another god of Chaos?”

Big Mac shook his head. “Eeeyup an’ nope. It’s somethin’ Ah learned from Arual. There cain’t be two o’ a kind on any o’ the 11 world’s o’ Harmony. Ah can be here cause o’ an accidental wish and because there ain’t another me here. Astral spirits can visit here, but they cain’t take physical form if there’s another one o’ them here.”

“So a god of Chaos can peek in on this world, but can’t manifest,” explained Trixie, “Not unless the god of Chaos for the other world is dead.”

“OH! OH! Or unless they take over the body of somepony who died... You know, like a zombie queen! WHOOOO!” chimed in Pinkie in the most ghostly voice she could create.

“On my world, the princesses used the Elements o’ Harmony ta trap Dis.. er, He who shall not be named, within a stone statue. Ah’m guessin’ somethin’ similar happened here, only it was Nightmare’s rule and the chaos it created that freed him. He then overthrew the Night, and was in turn overthrown by this other entity.”

“Impressive theory, darling, but just who is this entity?”

“If it’s a Chaos entity, wouldn’t that make them a dragonesque like who know who?” Trixie asked.

“Maybe... maybe not,” the alicorn prince responded. “Ah do get the feelin’ that it may be a female, rather than a male entity. It seems quite comfortable in its current body.”

“Which body is that?” asked Spike.

“Chrysalis,” Big Mac replied. “Ah think this entity took over the queen in order to gain control of her hive.”

“Youse can’t be serious. None of them changelings would put up with a fake ruler for a Manehatten minute,” Babs pointed out.

Rarity shook her head. “I don’t think they know, darling.”

“Well, then they need to find out, the sooner the better,” asserted Rainbow Dash.

“Good luck convincing a hive with about 10,000 worker drones,” replied Trixie. “They’re not known for being able to keep more than a thought or two in their heads at one time.”

“Ah don’t think we’ll have ta worry ‘bout that. If we drive whatever’s possessin’ Chrysalis out o’ her body, it’ll change everything.” The six ponies and one dragon looked expectantly at the alicorn prince.

“Youse got something in mind, cousin?”

“Ah just might...”

**********

It didn’t take long for word to reach Queen Chrysalis of the battle raging in the throne room. The scout drones who had seen the ponies had summoned three full changeling squads who immediately attacked. Though under-powered in terms of magic, they were so desperate to avoid being punished by their queen that they were fighting like fanatics.

Even as she made her way toward the throne room, she worried less about the fight in progress than that her ‘collection’ might suffer some damage. It wasn’t as if any of the figures could be destroyed or freed, but the cabinets were rather expensive. She’d hate having to commission a new set, especially considering how difficult it was to obtain enough unicorn horn to carve a decent frame for the polished crystal exterior. At least, she mused, if it became necessary she could start with the horn of an alicorn princeling.

Two more squads raced passed her, slamming headlong into the great oaken doors that marked one of several entrances into the throne room. They shuddered, but held, causing the rear of the formation to pile up against those in the front.

“Pathetic,” muttered Chrysalis. Under normal circumstances, the doors would have been shattered to splinters, but these were being reinforced by an active, magic spell. The changeling squad leader should have recognized it.

Groaning and hissing, the drones pulled themselves back to their hooves trying to distinguish between the stars painted on the walls and the ones in their heads.

“Stand back,”

Scrambling, the changelings complied. Chrysalis charged her horn and fired a green bolt of energy at the door. The wood split wide open as the protection spell was neutralized and within seconds the two squads charged into the room. The queen strolled calmly in and surveyed the scene before her. Over a hundred and fifty drones were circling the dais in a counter-clockwise spiral, desperately trying to overwhelm the six ponies and one dragon standing before her.

Magical energy pulsed across the room and colorful beams of light swept back and forth, blasting at any changeling that got too close. For his part, the dragon was alternately blasting out great, greenish gouts of fire which enveloped one or two drones at a time, causing them to vanish, and tossing vials of magical potion. One struck a drone and he froze in place, glued to the floor like a fly trapped in honey.

Watching the fight, the queen couldn’t help but smile. The ponies were not putting they’re all into the battle. They were holding back, trying to both win and not kill any of their attackers. Even the ones immolated by dragon breath were still alive, transported rather than cooked within their own chitin. It was a losing strategy. For every drone they took out, another replaced it.

A couple of energy beams glanced off the ceiling and struck the floor near her trophy cabinets. Confident the battle would soon be hers, Chrysalis trotted over to them and threw up a protective barrier around herself and the cabinets even as she quickly examined them for damage. Finding none, she looked around and spotted the alicorn prince right where she had left him. Reaching out with her telekinesis, she picked up the amber prison in which he was encased and brought, it too, within the protective bubble. After all, it wouldn’t do to have somepony accidentally set him free. He might not be as ‘restrained’ as the others.

Returning her attention to the fight, she noticed that the blue unicorn was lying unconscious on the dais. A dozen drones lay unmoving around her as the other ponies shifted to cover the hole now in their defenses. Her magical appendages had faded, causing those of the others to flicker slightly. The spiral surrounding them tightened, making it difficult for the queen to see what was happening.

Chrysalis took two steps forward, placing herself now between the battle and the alicorn. Two more vials soared across the room. One hit a changeling commander, shrinking him down to the size of a mouse. His squeaking protest caused the queen to momentarily forget herself and laugh. The battle had become a thing of pure chaos, and she was loving it. The second vial arched high in her direction. A quick blast of green energy caused it to vanish, leaving behind a small cloud of blue pollen that settled on three drones. They instantly lost all sense of direction, crashing head first into several of their fellows. The resulting pile-up of changelings left a number of gaps in the sphere enveloping the ponies.

Chrysalis couldn’t help herself. She laughed once more, drinking in the delicious sense of victory. Too late, she became aware of movement next to her. The queen whirled, just in time to feel a green, glowing hoof make contact with the side of her head.

“T’TORBI ARAF!”

It felt as if the word echoed not only across the vaulted chamber of the throne room, but through time itself, screaming out of the past and into the future, creating its own Doppler shift. Chrysalis collapsed like a sack of flower, her head... no... her consciousness spinning wildly out of control. She didn’t pass out, but she felt horribly sick, as if she’d gorged herself on every emotion there was a dozen times over.

The changelings broke off their attack on the five remaining ponies. They flared high into the sky before diving, en mass, towards the new threat to their queen, towards Big Mac.

“Look out!” screamed Fluttershy, surprising every pony who heard her. To her amazement, Prince Macintosh simply smiled. His horn glowed a brilliant green, sending out a swath of magic that enveloped the drones. They immediately stopped flying, then slowly settled to the ground before curling up and going to sleep. The effect spread beyond the room, ending the drones' efforts to reinforce their brotheren.

Chrysalis looked about her, confusion running through her mind. She stood, her legs wobbling under her even as the alicorn prince helped her stand. The queen looked at Big Mac. “Who the heck are you?” Her head swiveled as she took in her surroundings. “Where in Tartarus am I? What have you done to my minions? WHAT’S GOING ON HERE!?”

Big Mac pointed across the room to a far wall where a deep purple cloud of sparkling magic began coalescing. “Ah think SHE may have some answers for us.”

As everypony watched, the cloud began to solidify into a long, slender serpentine form. It had the legs of a dragon, the cloven hooves of a goat, the body of a lizard, two arms that became griffon talons, and the head of a pony. From its back sprouted two small, vestal bat wings. Along its spine ran a twin row of triangular spikes. A pair of donkey ears dangled from its head and two spiral unicorn horns grew out of its forehead. The creature was lavender in color, except for its hair, which was a deep indigo. The hair sported two stripes, one dark pink, the other a dark purple that seemed almost invisible against the indigo. It had thin, purple eyebrows and both eyes were red within a yellow sclera.

Big Mac looked at the creature, his eyes open with more than a little surprise. Not only was it symmetrical, a characteristic he had not expected in a draconequus, but it had a cutie mark on its hip, one that he recognized. The creature slowly stood and glared at the alicorn.

“Do you have any idea of what you’ve done?” it asked slowly, its rage barely suppressed.

“Uh... Nope. Cain’t say as Ah do...... Twilight.”

To Be Continued...