• Published 31st Aug 2014
  • 1,417 Views, 79 Comments

A New World, An Old Haunt - Professor Frogenshtein



'A New World, A New Way' spinoff - Dante Amaranth is determined to become the world's greatest ghost-type pokemon trainer, but an unplanned change in scenery leaves him feeling not quite himself...

  • ...
12
 79
 1,417

Ch 4: Making Friends on the Other Side

Deep in the Everfree Forest, the ruins of a time long past lay silent, waiting for a brave adventurer to plumb its depths and discover its secrets-

"Whoops!"
SMACK

Yeah who am I kidding, I'm totally lost. Ancient drink recipes should NOT be this hard to find.

Groaning from a face plant on a hard marble platform, a unicorn pushed himself to his hooves. Readjusting the goggles on his face, the stallion checked himself over- white lab coat over chartreuse fur, purple boots with gold buckles, light grey mane and tail with a fancy black moustache, lightly whimsical purple bow tie and top hat, and a cutie mark displaying a foaming tankard being circled by 3 ghostly wisps. Nodding, he looked at the ground behind him.

"What manner of object dares to impede the progress of Professor Frothing Stein, Master of Spirits?" A gleaming silver platter lay on the ground. "Ooh, something shiny!"

Frothing picked up the shining--

Please, call me Stein. Or Professor.

Stein was met with silence as the narrative seemed to glare at him.

Oh, sorry. Please, continue the story.

...Stein picked up the round, shining silver plate in an aura of purple magic, examining it as he turned it over.

Actually this looks more like platinum. And judging by the markings on the other side, I'd say this is a mask, not a plate.

The stallion's head jerked to the side as he was smacked across the face by an invisible force.

Alright, alright, you don't have to be rude about it!

However, as strands of darkness coalesced into being, snatching the platinum mask out if his magical grasp, Frothing Stein realized that it was not the narrative who had slapped him.

"Insolent mortal!" Came a voice from the ethereal creature before him, "Touch not the face of Queen Banafrit, Empress of a Thousand Lifetimes!"

Stein was, for his part, rubbing the spot on his cheek where he'd been slapped, staring wide-eyed at the shadowy being. "Zounds," he said, readjusting his crooked goggles, "a revenant! A specter! A phantom! A... What's the word..."

"Did you not hear me?! I have powers from beyond the grave that you cannot hope to comprehend! Bow before me or--"

"I'm sorry, Ms. Ghost, but I cannot understand a word you're saying." Stein held up a hoof as his horn began to glow. "Give me a moment, I know a translator spell." There was a brief flash and an audible *ding* as the spell was cast. "Now, you were saying?"

The ghost seemed to have switched emotions from 'outraged' to 'confused'. "As I said, I am Queen Banafrit," she intoned, still with some confidence. "What sort of pokémon are you?"

"Well it's quite obvious; I am the BEST sort of pokémon."

A pause.

"Actually, what exactly is a pokémon?"

And, as a long series of explanations began, a pair of red eyes darted away into the forest unseen.


Lucius was very excited as he rushed back to our group; he'd found some of the locals, and they seemed primed for questioning.

"Let's get there quick, I think they're still talking!"

We swerved through the forest and arrived at the ruins just in time to hear the tail end of a sentence.

"...but you should know all of this; pokémon are prevalent all throughout Earth, unless times have changed drastically since my awakening..."

I decided that now would be as good a time as any to interject. "I beg your pardon," I called as I floated into the open, "my comerades and I are lost." The others took this as their cue to reveal their presence as well. "Could one of you please tell us where we are?"

Both individuals turned to look at me; the first one looked to be some sort of... Mutant rapidash perhaps? Maybe it was an undiscovered species of pokémon. It garnered my full attention as it started to speak.

"Good heavens," it said, and I guessed from the voice that it was male, "another spirit! And a shade! And a gremlin! And... A pumpkin?"

"My good sir," I interrupted, "those directions, please?"

"Of course." At this he faltered, and put a hoof to his chin. "Well I was just about to tell the lady spirit here that the short-lived city-kingdom of Earth dissolved centuries ago, almost right after it was founded, and I have never heard anything about 'pokémon' in relation to it."

I tilted my head, confused by his words. "She probably meant Earth the planet, not the... Whatever you said."

This seemed to confuse the strange not-rapidash even further. "This is the planet Equus."

Now, learning that one has not only died, but also been sent to another planet, would cause many people and pokémon alike to worry, if not panic. Before I could decide if I was one of them, however, I found myself wrapped in another enthusiastic hug.

"Dan, buddy! We're aliens!"


That was half an hour ago. In the time since, the so-called 'pony' had introduced himself as Professor Frothing Stein, and that we should please call him 'Stein' or 'Professor'. I had been completely focused on him as he went on to explain that we were in the land of equestria, ruled by the two princesses that controlled the sun and moon, and yes of course he was serious, and yes he'd been drinking recently, he was a brewmaster, but that didn't have anything to do with their conversation, and yes he did have a magnificent moustache, thank you for noticing.

It was only when he realized that oh, how rude of him, he forgot to introduce the lady spirit, that I remembered the other yamask I had barely taken notice of.

"I believe her name was Banana Fritter?"

"I am QUEEN BANAFRIT, not banana fritter!"

The yamask turned to me and-- oh.

Oh my.

She had the most beautiful face I had ever laid eyes on, its perfection only magnified by the shine of the platinum in which it was set. Even now I cannot find words to describe her beauty, and no painting or sketch could ever hope to emulate her divine beauty.

Oh mighty Arceus, I thought, Oh gracious Cresselia, a thousand blessings to your names, for you have delivered unto me an angel!

In a word, she was right purty.

"And who might you be?" She asked, eyeing me with an unreadable expression.

I steeled my resolve, I had to make a good first impression.

"Hi." I said.

Right, I'm terrible with people. That's why I live in a haunted house surrounded by the undead.

Thankfully, Lucius and Durendal werethere to help. "What his highness means to say is that he is the Grand Duke Dante Amaranth, master of ghost-types." Durendal made a grand sweeping motion towards me.

"The prince of poltergeists," added Lucius, "the pharao of phantasms, the sultan of spooks! And he's also single."

Queen Banafrit raised an eyebrow. "You are royalty as well?" She asked, seemingly intrigued.

"Indeed," replied Durendal, "and I am Sir Durendal, Knight of the Vorpal Order."

Lucius moved to introduce the rest of the group. "This is Jack, chief of celebratory affairs, and Ravid, our um... Treasurer." He gestured to himself. "And I am Lucius, his excellency's advisor and his personal shadow. I mean that last part literally." He sank into my shadow as if to prove his point.

"Well then,Grand Duke," said the queen, floating up to me with a seductive smile on her face, "you may call me Bunny." She ran a ghostly finger down the side of my mask and winked at me.

For a dead man, my heart was beating remarkably fast.

I was almost grateful when Frothing Stein reminded us of his presence. "If I may," he spoke, gesturing toward the horizon, "the sun is rising; we'd best get going now if we want to make it through the Everfree Forest and to the nearest town."

Author's Note:

And Lo, our heroes didst find themselves accompanied by a most peculiar new ally from this strange world upon which they had awoken. And what of this queen? Dost she seeketh only an alliance, or something more... Intimate?

Also, does it feel like I'm rushing through this?