• Published 4th Aug 2014
  • 6,727 Views, 78 Comments

Pinkie Doesn't Like Needles - Starlitomega



Like, at all. Unfortunately, she has to get her immunizations to continue working at Sugarcube Corner. With the help of a friend, she might just make it through.

  • ...
8
 78
 6,727

A Little Help From A Friend.

Pinkie hovered around Mrs. Cake anxiously. They had just received a letter, and an unusual one at that.

“What does it say?” Pinkie asked.

“Just a moment, dear.“ Mrs. Cake cleared her throat.

To whom it may concern,

It has come to our attention that your establishment has been providing food and entertainment services to foals in violation of health regulations. In order to safeguard the health and safety of the ponies of Equestria, it is required that any establishment that provides services to foals in groups of seven or larger have their employees vaccinated against the standard range of foalhood diseases. Included is a list of employee(s) that must have their immunizations, or immunization records updated to continue working at the establishment.

Sincerely,

Healing Hooves,

Health Services of Equestria.

Mrs. Cake took the other paper out of the envelope and folded it open. It featured prominently a picture of Pinkie Pie sticking her tongue out toward the camera, her name, and information beneath the photo.

“Pinkie Pie, You haven’t had your vaccines?” The elder mare asked.

Pinkie tilted her head. “Vaccines? I don’t think I’ve ever eaten one of those.”

“No, no, dear. Vaccines are shots that are given to ponies so you don’t catch and spread disease.”

Pinkie’s eyes widened and she took a few shaky steps back. “D-did you say, shots?”

Mrs. Cake nodded. “Of course. They’re given to foals s-”

“Gotta go, bye!”

Pinkie took off in a blur. Mrs. Cake heard Pinkie's bedroom door slam shut. She climbed upstairs and softly knocked on Pinkie's door.

"Pinkie Pie, come on out. It's not that bad. "

"You're right! It's not bad, it's terrible!"

Mrs. Cake nearly stumbled backwards by the sheer volume in the distressed mare's voice. "But, if you don't get the shot, you won't be able to throw parties for the little ponies anymore. I'm sure you don't want that."

"I don't care! I hate shots! I'm never getting another one ever again!"

Mrs. Cake sighed. An idea popped into her head. She knew one pony in particular that could help her with this sort of situation.


Fluttershy hovered through Ponyville on a lazy breeze. It had been such a beautiful day out and she fully intended to enjoy it.

And she would have had it not been for Mrs. Cake's visit. Any chances of a calm and peaceful day flew out the window. She vowed to help her friend through this terrible situation... despite not having any clue of how exactly she would do that.

It doesn't matter. I have to help Pinkie Pie!"

The pegasus took advantage of her natural abilities and swooped over to Pinkie's bedroom window. She looked in to see what she would be facing.

Pinkie laid sprawled out on the bed, her head underneath a pillow, shaking like a leaf on a tree. Fluttershy quietly lifted the window and climbed in.

The pink mare was none the wiser. Fluttershy decided to play it safe and lock the window behind her in case Pinkie tried to escape. Finally, ready for a true battle, she cleared her throat.

"Hi, Pinkie Pie."

Pinkie shrieked from beneath her pillow sending it flying. Her eyes darted about, filled with fear.

"No! Not you too! You can't make me go!"

Fluttershy approached the distressed mare while slowly opening one of her wings. "I'm not here to make you do anything. I'm just here to help you make the right choice."

Pinkie, still shaking, allowed Fluttershy to get closer. "But... what if I don't want to get a shot?"

Fluttershy sighed. "You don't have to... but you should think about what will happen if you don't."

"B-but what exactly w-will happen?" Pinkie stuttered.

Fluttershy walked over and placed her hoof on Pinkie's. "Well, the guards will come and force you to leave. You won't be able to stay here anymore, and you probably won't be allowed to throw any more parties."

Pinkie's eyes grew wide in terror. "No, more parties? No more helping the Cakes? That's terrible!" Pinkie wailed as tears appeared at the corner of her eyes.

Fluttershy nodded solemnly. "It is. But, if you just get this shot, you'll be able to keep doing all the things you love to do. Doesn't seem so bad now, does it?"

"Why do I have to get a shot in the first place?" Pinkie asked as tears started falling down her cheeks.

"It's for you and the other ponies' protection. You see, you can carry nasty icky stuff and make them sick. You might be carrying the germs, even if you aren't sick. So, to keep diseases from spreading, they want ponies to get shots whenever they can. You'd feel really bad if Scootaloo, Apple bloom, or Sweetie Belle caught something you had and got sick, wouldn't you?"

Pinkie nodded, staring sadly into Fluttershy's eyes.

"Well, then you really should just get it then. Besides. It doesn't rea—"

"Don't tell me it doesn't hurt! I've had one before and I know it does!" Pinkie yelled.

Fluttershy calmly shook her head. "Pinkamena Diane Pie. I wouldn't lie to you. I was going to say it doesn't really hurt that much, especially when you consider what you'll be missing out on if you don't get one."

Pinkie hung her head in defeat. "You're right. I just remember the last time I got one as a teeny tiny filly, and boy did it hurt a lot. I guess I just have to pony up and get it though."

Fluttershy smiled. "You can do it, Pinkie. You always were the bravest one of us."

"Can I ask a favor, please?" Pinkie stared up at her hopefully.

"Of course."

"Can you go with me?"

Fluttershy wrapped her wing around the shaken earth pony. "Sure I can. It's the least I can do for a friend like you."

"Yes! Thank you so much! At least I'll have a good friend there with me."

"You'll see, Pinkie. This won't be so bad."


Pinkie and Fluttershy walked into the Ponyville Clinic. It was just afternoon, so there weren't any patients waiting. The whole place smelled of medicine and sterile cleaner.

They walked up to a window and stood patiently, waiting for the pony doing paperwork to notice them. Normally, this would be the point where Pinkie Pie and her open nature would be the one to catch the pony's attention, but given the way she was nervously glancing around, Fluttershy decided to gather her courage instead.

"Ummm, excuse me..."

The nurse lowered her pen and looked up to them with a smile. "Good day, Fluttershy... oh, and Pinkie Pie too! I hope your day is going well."

"It isn't! It really isn't!" Pinkie wailed. Fluttershy gently patted her distressed friend.

"Don't mind her. She's just a little nervous. We're here so she can get her immunizations."

The nurse nodded with a knowing smile and brushed her bangs out of her face. "That's alright. We'll have it over in no time. Since there's no pony else waiting, I can give it real quick if you like."

"That'd be great." Fluttershy smiled.

The nurse rolled her chair to a set of filing cabinets and plucked a folder out. "Okay, I have your records right here. If you will, enter the door to your right when you're ready," the nurse said as she disappeared into the hallway behind the glass.

Fluttershy took a step towards the door. Suddenly, a strong hoof wrapped around her.

"Do we have to do this today?" Pinkie pleaded with her, tears forming at the corner of her eyes.

"Pinkie, if we put it off, it will just hang over your head like a dark cloud. You don't want that do you?"

The pink mare bit her lip and reluctantly shook her head.

"Then let's go."

Fluttershy marched forward through the door while Pinkie hid in her tail. The nurse motioned for them to follow. All three ponies walked into a small doctor's office with a stool, an elevated bed, a chair, and several medical posters on the walls. The nurse wasted no time in pulling out a vial and syringe from one of the cabinets.

"Fortunately for you, Pinkie Pie, recent technologies have allowed us to put the primary immunizations in one needle, rather than three like in the old days," the nurse said as she drew the liquid into the needle.

"You hear that, Pinkie? Just one shot! That's good, isn't it?" Fluttershy smiled broadly at her friend.

"I wish it was no shots," Pinkie pouted.

The nurse patted on the bed in the middle of the room. "We haven't come quite that far. If you'll please hop up here, we'll have it done in no time."

Pinkie did as she was asked. Sitting on her rump, she held out her hoof and clenched her eyes shut. "Okay, let's get this over with!"

The nurse clicked her tongue. "I'm afraid there's been another change to the shots over the years..."

Pinkie and Fluttershy both turned to her quickly.

"There's no easy way to say this, but this one has to go in your flank."

Pinkie squealed and grabbed her rump. "But, but, but..."

"I think that's exactly the point," Fluttershy giggled. Pinkie shot her a nasty look. "Sorry."

"Fluttershy, I've never had one there! Won't it hurt even worse?"

The pegasus shook her head. "Actually, it doesn't. You'll see."

The nurse cleared her throat. "I hate to point out the obvious, but you'll need to reposition yourself before I can give this."

Pinkie nodded and turned to where her belly was beneath her. She moved her head until she faced Fluttershy straight on.

"Fluttershy... you've been a great friend and I hate to ask, but..."

"It's alright, Pinkie, go ahead."

Tears pooled in the earth pony's eyes. "Can you hug me while I'm getting it?"

Fluttershy smiled and held out her arms. "I'd be glad to."

Pinkie threw her arms around Fluttershy, gratefully accepting her embrace. Much to Fluttershy's dismay, the earth pony was practically shaking like jello in her arms. Out of the corner of her eyes, Fluttershy saw the nurse close in with the needle.

An idea quickly popped into the pegasus' head. She coughed a couple times to clear her throat.

Softly and gently, Fluttershy started humming a tune. She patted Pinkie's poofy mane, trying to comfort the shaking mare. Fluttershy closed her eyes as she knew what was going to happen next.

The needle found it's mark. Pinkie Pie cried out and sobbed into Fluttershy's mane, shaking even harder.

"Shhhh. It's alright. It's almost over," Fluttershy said, patting and squeezing her friend tighter.

"All done!" The nurse announced, turning to throw the old syringe away.

Pinkie released her grip on the pegasus, tears still falling from her eyes. The nurse turned around, this time with two lollipops. "I think you both deserve these."

Pinkie wiped away her tears. Shakily, she took and unwrapped the lollipop, and slowly put the tasty treat in her mouth. "Strawberry... My Favorite," Pinkie said, smiling through her tears.


"And that's why Fluttershy is one of the best and most awesome friends I've ever had," Pinkie announced proudly.

Twilight, Applejack, and Rarity sat at a table outside of a cafe, listening to Pinkie's story in rapt fascination.

"Well, that was just plain thoughtful of ya, sugarcube," Applejack said to Fluttershy. The pegasus simply blushed.

"Well, it wasn't much really. I just remembered what Rarity said whenever everypony realized I had been singing in the Ponytones."

Rarity laughed nervously. "Eh heh heh... of course... that. You might need to remind me. It has been awhile."

"Well, you said that I had lived through my worst fear, and you asked if it really was that bad. It sure seemed awful at the time, but now it isn't so bad."

Pinkie rubbed a band-aid which had been placed on her flank. "Yeah. It did hurt, and it still does, but now I can keep planning parties for ponies of all ages." Pinkie scooped Fluttershy into a massive crushing hug. "And that's why you're one of my best pony friends ever!"

Fluttershy smiled, a crimson blush shining on her face. "It was nothing, really."

Author's Note:

Quick friendshipping idea I had. Hope it was good.

Comments ( 75 )
Dan

sorry

4796352
I don't suppose I could get you to change the c-word bit, could I? I'm not usually that sensitive to that sort of thing, but this is a story rated for everyone...

4796352
There is no word appropriate enough to describe the people who screw up their children in such a horrible way. The idiots who choose to put their children's lives at risk by not getting them vaccinated because they saw a youtube video, or read a crappy article are less important than the mushrooms that would grow on their rotting corpse.

Just to be clear though, are you referring to Meghan McCarthy? The writer for mlp?:rainbowhuh:

Dan
Dan #4 · Aug 4th, 2014 · · ·

4796555

No. Jenny McCarthy. But forget I said anything. This aint the place for that kind of politicized stuff.

I will now keep this fic in mind whenever I go in for shots. I'm just as scared of them as Pinkie is:pinkiesmile:

4796637
I'm afraid of them too. Not crying out loud scared, but I'm scared nonetheless.
And they ALWAYS hurt. I always got so mad when they told me it didn't hurt. :pinkiesad2:

4796688 Needles are eeeeeeevil.:fluttercry:

"I wish it was no shots," Pinkie pouted.

The nurse patted on the bed in the middle of the room. "We haven't come quite that far. If you'll please hop up here, we'll have it done in no time."

Well actually, some vaccines can now be adminsitired nasaly, but the shots tend to have better results. There's also butterfly needles for blood smaples. Those help to ease the pain. :eeyup:

This was so cute!

Injection needles scary? It's the removal needles that are scary. (I think that actually has to do with my fear of blood, more than a fear of needles.)

Cute though, and Fluttershy is best pony.

4797273 I put up a fight when I had a butterfly needle put in my arm. The nasal spray I still have yet to try with the flu vaccine

It's alright, Pinkie, I've been there before. :applecry: I remember the first time I got a shot, it hurt like hell and I couldn't stop crying. And when I had to have one off the flu at school, I really wasn't looking forward to it. But when they finally gave it to me, I just looked around and said ".....That's it?" It just felt like a little prick this time and not like a sword stabbing me. :pinkiesmile:

I have a friend with a needle phobia. I haven't been with her to clinics or anything, but I've heard the tales. Kind of feel bad for those who are afraid of needles, because they're a mandatory evil in that regard.

But for the mane six, the one who I would imagine having a needle phobia the most is Pinkie. I can't place it, but it just feels like Pinkie; the usually quirky and active mare is afraid of needles. And then she acts just how you wrote her here: Sort of like a whimpering child.

The friendship scales went through the roof. The way Fluttershy acted here was perfect in comforting Pinkie. Very cute.

It was good enough for a like though it seemed a bit description bare, particularly in regards to the sense of touch as well as what the characters are feeling emotionally. (Though as a one-shot you needn't worry about this too much.)

Additionally, humor me this:

Softly and gently, Fluttershy started humming a gentle tune. She patted Pinkie's poofy mane, trying to comfort the shaking mare. Fluttershy closed her eyes as she knew what was going to happen next.

Words highlighted in yellow may be redundant. To get the same information flow without getting the "padded" feeling, try avoiding needless repetition, or at the very least, using the same words/more context clues than necessary.

With either instance of "gentle" we know what to expect of Fluttershy's humming. With the same word and the head-patting, a reader can infer that she is trying to comfort Pinkie, therefore, with a little structure revising, we can git rid of one "gentle" and " trying to comfort the shaking mare".

The extra space can be used for description or thoughts. For example:

Fluttershy hummed a gentle tune; patting Pinkie's poofy mane, listening to her shallow breaths as they translated into quick, warm puffs of air against her neck. Fluttershy closed her eyes. She knew what was going to happen next.

Excellent job with getting this out by the way, Star, it came as a nice surprise. Finding something that is both good grammatically and not another tasteless clopfic is hard these days.

While I myself am not afraid of shots, I can understand why some people are. This was a really cute story about overcoming your fears, I enjoyed it immensely! :pinkiehappy:

well before i used to hate em alot since it hurts but after a while when i wasnt thinking of the needle poking yah it didnt hurt so much tho i due to my condition (Diabetes type 1) i sorta gotten used to it since im stabbing myself with insulin shots since my body cant produce insulin anymore :pinkiesad2: when i wake up in the morning and before i eat

still dont like shots tho

What an amazing story. I was never afraid of shots but still I wish I had had this when I got my shots for the dust alergy treatment.
1every week at the start and then 1 every month for a year...:ajbemused:

That was a really cute story. Fluttershy is such a good friend.

I remember when I had to get a series of three shots, spread out over about two months, that are supposed to prevent cervical cancer. It was a huge needle that is is injected directly into your muscle. :raritycry: The good that came out of it though, is that after that I can barely even feel an average flu shot anymore.

Reads title...


NEITHER DO I

T'was most cute, verily.

Once, I had to go to the allergist and get tested, which meant 30-odd needles in both arms. Then they decided they hadn't done it deep enough, so they put all the needles in again, only deeper. :fluttercry:

4798578
Agreed. Stupid thick blood and hidden veins. Five pokes for one shot.

4799104 It wasn't intentional. They apologized and gave me animal crackers and everything.

I don't mind shots but I refuse to poke holes in my fingertips to take blood samples. The nurses at my checkups say I'm the only patient they know who actually prefers taking a needle in the arm.

The story was fine, if a bit fluffy.

I had to get two shots (one in each arm) every week, FOR A YEAR. :fluttercry:

The story was adorable though :yay:

I was in the hospital once, and they had to do blood tests. One time, they couldn't get blood from my arm, so they did it from the back of my hand. Hurt like a bitch, but now I can actually do shots without much pain at all.

I'm Pinkie in this story, except that you have to hold me down and I scream the whole time. :twilightblush:

Somehow the butterfly needles always hurt way more than the normal (with me)
I didnt like shots blood samples and vaccines both, but when i had to give blood samples for 2 years every half year i got over it
just dont think about the poking needle...:pinkiehappy:

btw what i wanted to say since i started reading
:heart: the story

I'm currently under the period of the dreaded HPV shots. They hurt worse than regular ones. But withdrawls such as blood tests are the worst. You sit there for what feels like hours with a needle sucking your blood out like a slurpee. Medical technology can really suck.
My comforts, Pinkie Pie.:pinkiesad2:

I don't like them and get all worked up beforehand... maybe i tear up a bit while waiting.... but i am fine when they do it. I just really wish they wouldn't tell me when they stick it in. :ajbemused:

I like that you didn't make it not hurt at all because it does, maybe not the needle itself but the stuff they stick in you burns.....:raritydespair:

"Okay Pinkie, it's just going to be a tiny jab."
37.media.tumblr.com/a8fc7dbb26b8eceb84c61c759e5488cc/tumblr_mm7h4pAVGb1qimrito1_500.png

... I am so sorry I did that.


Anyway, I can't say I fully sympathize. I just went to a blood drive today, and the worst part about it was that it was a little boring. That being said, I can't stand any form of self inflicted injury. You could chop my arm off and it would just make me angry, but I can't even watch someone take a blood sugar test.

hi hi

This is good stuff. Sometimes life can be tough, but sometimes the tough things are worth doing anyways. :)

I know someone who literally passes out when they get blood drawn. It is certainly easier for some than for others, but it doesn't make any sense to hold that against them. Unless holding something against them means giving them a hug. :yay:

I was expecting the needle to pop the balloons in her cutie mark. Because Pinkie Pie.

Dan

There's a history of diabetes in my family, so growing up I had to have regular blood tests taken.

I used to be terrified and freak out and had to have nurses hold me down. By my mid teens, I had toughened up enough to take it without complaint and even watch as they stuck it in.

Then, a clumsy nurse stuck the needle right through the vein and my entire arm was black and blue and sore for a week or two.

Wow, I post this before I go to bed, go to work, come home and find this somehow got featured!
Time to address all the wonderful people in the comments.
4798055
I don't NEED to humor you on anything...
Because you're one hundred percent right! :twilightblush: I have to admit, like the last story I published, I didn't have high hopes for this story, so it didn't get the love it REALLY needed, and yet it made it into the featured box. :facehoof: I'll definitely fix that section you highlighted, and I'll look into fixing more of the description in the story. Thanks for pointing that out and I'm glad you enjoyed despite the obvious flaws. :pinkiehappy:
4797273
I don't like the butterfly needles actually. It feels like there's more pressure in my arm.:fluttershbad:
4797502
I don't like either needle actually. There was one shot I got that felt like it was burning in my arm, but I don't remember what it was. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the story!
4797813
I agree! They hurt!
4797950
I originally started this as a shipping story, but I couldn't get it in there without shoe-horning it in and i had yet to write a friendshipping story.
And yeah, when the idea of one of the ponies being afraid of needles, it had to be the one with balloons on her flank.
4798376
I'm glad you enjoyed it! The funny thing is, I've been injured in ways that makes a shot ridiculous, but they still terrify me.
4798466
You deserve a Pinkie Pie hug for your bravery. Stay in good health, friend. :pinkiehappy:
4798473
I went through the allergy shot thing too. It sucked so hard and I feel your pain.
4798555
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it, and I feel for you on the cervical cancer needles. I don't know what it's like, but I did get a shot in the heart, so I'm betting it's somewhere in that neighborhood of omg.
4798887
I had near about the same exact experience. They had to go back and do most of them over again, and the worst thing was, I was allergic to ALL but two things they injected me with! Oh, and this was way back in the day, so it was alot more shots.
4799365
You say fluffy as if it were a bad thing. :rainbowwild:
4799667
Oh god, that's horrible! I'm glad it's over for you though, and thanks for the kind words!
4799986
Poor thing. :fluttershysad:
4799989
I agree with you on the butterfly needles. They seem to hurt worse and put pressure on my arm. I'm glad you liked the story. :pinkiehappy:
4800084
I hope it's over for you soon. :pinkiesad2:
4800133
It always hurts in some way. To me, even the needle hurts, and I don't like it when people say it doesn't hurt.
4800234
Evil. :derpytongue2:
4800726

it doesn't make any sense to hold that against them. Unless holding something against them means giving them a hug.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :pinkiehappy:
4800857
I considered that for a brief moment, or having the nurse poke her there, but it would have ruined the mood.
4801113
That's always the worst. I always make sure the nurse knows the correct time to insert the needle. If not, I ask for a different nurse.

4801455 Wow, that must've sucked. :twilightoops:

i have a very strong phobia of needles.

4801455

Weeeell, by fluffy I mean... uh, trying to think of a nicer word than "pointless" here. :twilightsheepish:

Basically, even for a short cute story, I like there to be some kind of message or poignancy. This fic is pleasant and all, but it's just Pinkie getting a shot in the flank because she has to. It doesn't tell us why she's afraid of needles, doesn't teach her not to be afraid of needles, and doesn't really tell us anything we didn't already know going in.

Fluttershy did get a bit of a moral in there at the end, but it would probably have been more effective if she said that to Pinkie before the shot. In fact, you could have drawn some nice parallells between this one specific fear of Pinkie's and Fluttershy who has to deal with fear and anxiety all the time.

4801596
Well, I never thought this fic would take off at all. I wrote it expecting it to get like 30 likes and fade into obscurity.
Came as a complete shock to me when it hit the feature box. With this I really wanted to give Fluttershy a chance to shine as I am usually down on her most of the time, and I could totally see this happening in the show. Didn't really need more than that, but I am sorry it wasn't quite as much as you were expecting. Like I said, it blindsided me too. :twilightoops:

4799279

Oh well...

People make mistakes. :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

This story was kind of awkward, like the characters were reading from a script. felt like I was watching a PSA for getting vaccines.:twilightsheepish:
Still a cute story though, good job.:twilightsmile:

4799365

I know that feeling. Fingers are sensitive! And they touch everything, all the time, you don't want to poke holes in them!

4801645

Happens all the time - you never quite know which story is going to be a hit. That's why I always try to go all out with my own fics. :twilightsmile:

Again, I don't dislike this one all, I just think it had more potential.

Needles are fun!

The pain is... intoxicating!

I await with bated breath for the Red Cross to tell me I can give blood again!

Sometimes I just volunteer for medical experiments so I can get lots of needles shoved into me!

*shivers and licks his lips* So much blissful agony!

:pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy:

I used to have a sacred terror of needles, just liek Pinkie Pie.

Then I've had my blood drew.

From that moment on, my brain short-circuited, and now.... well, let's say that young female nurses (and the occasional candustripe) are a bit weirded out, when I start to mumble ( with little control) about "obelisks to obscenity."

Login or register to comment