• Published 3rd Aug 2014
  • 1,045 Views, 7 Comments

Cooking with Twilight - Hardline Potato

  • ...
3
 7
 1,045

Cooking with Twilight

Cooking with Twilight


Twilight trotted into the kitchen with a cookbook in her hoof, preparing to make some breakfast, “I hope that I can make some pancakes with no problem at all.” She flipped through the pages until a page titled Pancakes 101.

A sizzling sound woke Spike up from his morning nap as he wobbled down the stairs. I hope that Twilight is not making pancakes again, Spike thought, he knew that Twilight would have burned the entire kitchen if he was still asleep.

“Twilight, you’re not trying to make pancakes again are you?” Spike tiredly said, rubbing his eyes.

“It’s only this one time, Spike. Not like I’m going to set the kitchen ablaze!” Twilight lectured the young dragon and followed the instructions in the cookbook.

Twilight took a small square of butter from the refrigerator, sliding the butter on the pan. The butter sizzled against the pan as the heat melted the butter in the center of pan while she added a dash of flour and milk into the mix.

“I’m sure that’s not how you make pancakes.” Spike’s eyes peered into the pan.

“Nonsense, Spike. All I have to do is flip them over.” Twilight clenched a metal spatula between her teeth and flipped the pancakes. Smoke and soot rose out of the pan only to reveal a burned stack of pancakes in the pan.

“Told you, I’m going to go ask Rarity to help you.” Spike walked out of the kitchen and to the door, going down a dirt road to the Carousel Boutique.


The two of them arrived at Carousel Boutique and knocked upon the front door, waiting for Rarity to answer.

“Coming!” Rarity’s elegant voice echoed from the room before a blue magical aura turned the knob, and once the door opened, Rarity appeared with a smile upon her face. “Twilight! Spike! I didn’t expect you be here, come in darlings.”

Rarity moved aside from the door so the two of them could enter. Upon entering, the entire room was a mess, covered with unfinished designs, fabric, scissors, and papers. “Sorry for the mess, darling, I’ve had a very busy week.”

“N-No problem, Rarity.” Spike said, blushing a little as he walked towards the unicorn mare. “But, we really need your help. You see, Twilight was going to make us breakfast, but apparently, she doesn’t even know how to flip a pancake right. So, we came here so you can help us.”

Rarity’s pupils went small and she started to giggle. “Wait a minute, Spikey-Wikey, you’re telling me that Twilight doesn’t know how to make a single pancake, but she makes breakfast for you and herself everyday! Right?”

Spike’s eyes lowered, annoyed before pointing a claw to his chest. “Nope, I make breakfast for the both of us, so yep, Twilight is so lazy that she doesn’t even bother to make breakfast for herself.”

Twilight glared at her assistant and smacked the back of his head with her hoof. Spike then rubbed his head and looked at Twilight with annoyance before facing Rarity once again. “So can you help us?” Spike asked.

“Of course, Spikey-Wikey. Anything for you.” The unicorn replied, rubbing the dragon’s forehead playfully before leading the two of them into the kitchen.


Rarity scrunched her nose at the burning smell in the kitchen. “What is that horrible smell?”

“The result of Twilight’s ‘cooking’.” Spike took the burned pan off of the stove, sitting it down on the hardwood floor.

“I’m going to require: two eggs, flour, butter and pancake batter.” Rarity waited as Spike grabbed all the required ingredients at a fast pace. He set the eggs, flour, butter and pancake batter on the wooden counter next to the stove.

“I can always count on you, Spikey-poo.” Rarity batted her eyelashes at Spike, his cheeks lit up like a red Hearth’s Warming Eve tree light. She always believed in Spike when it came to tasks like these, because she can always count on him to help.

Rarity’s horn grabbed a wide, silver pan in her magic from the cabinets. She poured the pancake batter into the pan until the pan was filled completely to the brim, all of the creamy, light brown batter was extracted from the batter mix box. She banged the egg shells gently against the wooden counter and cracked the shells open, the seamstress let the yolk of the eggs drop down into a black frying pan.

The warm heat against the yolk caused it to sizzle until an outer layer of the yolk turned white and fluffy, surrounding the center of the yellow yolk, “Looks like we’re getting closer to finishing.” Rarity cheered with delight at her concoction.


“At least it’s better than Twilight’s disaster earlier,” Spike commented, which made Twilight groan from behind the pair. The pancakes continued to cook as the three of them waited, and as soon as they were done, Rarity levitated a silver spatula with her magic and removed the food from the pan.

The pancake was golden brown and the smell was all around the room as Spike and Rarity took a deep breath and let it out, sighing at the delicious smell of the pancakes.

“Mmm, those looks so… delicious..” Spike said as a small sight of drool appeared on the side of his mouth, his eyes were huge as his stomach growled.

“They do indeed, Spikey-poo, but we should wait for it to cool off, but in the meantime, we can make some more.” Rarity said, rubbing Spike’s head playfully before pouring another batch of pancake batter into the pan. As soon as the second pancake was done, Rarity continued the cycle.

“Second verse better than the first. I don’t think I can handle anymore!” Spike opened his mouth wide, a river of drool flowed out of the roof of his mouth and a fish flopped out of the river.

“Where did the fish come from?” Rarity shooed the dying fish away, continuing to poor the third and final batch of pancake batter into the pan.

“You don’t want to know, how’s the last pancake coming along?” Spike rushed to Rarity’s side and his eyes locked directly on the pancake as Rarity flipped the pancake over to add butter and some syrup.

The syrup flowed along the pancakes as it covered them in its path and butter melted on top of it. “They are ready!”

“Oh, good. I’m starving!” Spike said, taking a few good sniffs on the pancakes. “They smell so good, Rarity.”

“Thank you, Spikey-Wikey. I appreciate that very much, darling. Wanna have the first bite, Twilight?”

“I’d love to, though you did criticize my cooking,” Twilight jabbed a fork into the pancake, ripped a medium sized piece from it, and put the piece in her mouth. She felt the sweet taste of the pancake tickle her tongue and taste buds, smiling after the pancake made its way down her throat. “That was amazing!”


“I really appreciate that you said that, Twilight.” Rarity giggled and smiled at Twilight, as she enjoyed the rest of her pancake.

“You could learn a thing or two about cooking,” Spike scooped a clawful of his pancake into his mouth and chewed the massive piece with his sharp teeth.

“Oh, Spike.” Twilight rolled her eyes at Spike, her ears perked at the sound of a fire alarm, “Is something burning?”

Smoke reached the smell sensors on the fire alarm from the leftover pancake batter in the pan as the batter lit on fire soon after, “That’s just great,” Twilight sighed when the sprinklers on the ceiling soaked herself, Spike, and Rarity.

That’s all folks!

THE END

Comments ( 7 )

My first comment! Yay! Great story, love the (not so) twist ending! I would give the signature mustache but I'm not sure on how to use Pony Emoticons... Ah we'll here's a smiley for ya till I figure out how.

Good.
Improve.
I will await further developments.

4792558

Thanks, but you really have to credit Chaotic Lightning for that ending! :pinkiehappy:

I am quite curious where the fish came from. Perhaps one of Twilight's previous attempts at making breakfast.:derpytongue2:

Fish?? Fry up some hush puppies; batter it up & flop it in the pan.:raritystarry::moustache::facehoof:

Fanfic idea: Spike should teach Sweetie Belle how to cook which leads to kitchen loving.

Nice little story!

Only error I found was...

continuing to poor the third and final batch of pancake batter into the pan.

Should be "pour"

Login or register to comment