• Published 31st Jul 2014
  • 501 Views, 10 Comments

The cases of Mystery Mare - Mystery Mare42



the stories of an earth pony detective

  • ...
22
 10
 501

The Lullaby part 1

It was getting late tonight I was getting ready for bed. I just untied my black ribbon that was always in my greyish silver mane. I set it down on my dresser when I heard the bell go off down stairs, meaning somepony had entered. Even if my office has no official closing time, I do send my only official employee my butler out before I lock my doors. I walk down the stairs from my room with Nancy by my side, when I get there to my surprise it was a dark blue alicorn with pink hooves, she had a long brown mane blue highlights by her side was a light pink bunny. She speaks first, her voice was quiet at first but sounded sweet. “Sorry to barge in, Miss Mare. I just came back into town.”

I nodded as I took note of the saddlebags she wore. “It’s fine, have a seat Miss…”

“Musicnotes but everypony calls me Music for short.” She smiled and took a seat on the couch. Our pets were sniffing each other. I chuckled at that.

I head toward the kitchen. “Would you like some tea, Miss Music?”

She nods and looks around, her eyes settled on the bookshelves. “I would love some, thank you. You have several books here, I love to read and I try to when I can.”

I spent a few minutes in the kitchen and came back out with two cups of tea, I placed them in front of us. “Thank you, its nice to see another pony who loves books. Now then you are here for a reason correct?”

Miss Music sips her tea and nods. “Yes, for the past few days I have been in Canterlot and while I was there, I lost something. It is a purple covered book.”

“And why can’t you just go buy another book or go to the library?” I ask her as her bunny and Nancy were playing with a ball of yarn, they became fast friends.

She frowned and sighed. “It is a special book, the only one of it’s kind. It was one of the first clues I got to start my quest.”

“A quest?” I raised an eyebrow.

She nodded. “I’m sure you noticed, the horn and wings. I’m an alicorn and I’m searching for some ponies. I just need you to find the book,its important to me, haven’t you ever wanted to find something that seems hidden from you? That book is the first of me finding the truth about many things but mainly the truth about myself.”

I nodded knowing the feeling of wanting to find certain answers to things that were just out of reach. I thought of the scraps of paper I found and how that was one puzzle I have been trying to solve. I sip my tea. “I have, I will take the case Miss Music, please make sure to drop off a list of where you went when you were in Canterlot.”

She smiled and stood up as she shook my hoof. “Thank you so much Miss Mare.” She looked over to her bunny that was now covered in yarn, Nancy pawed at it. The alicorn’s horn glowed blue for a second flickering as she used her magic to lift up the bunny and get it out of the yarn. The flickering of her horn seemed strange to me, it was as if her magic wasn’t that strong. “Come on Bubble.” She said in her sweet voice and heads to the door. As soon as she leaves I start thinking about her. The one thing I needed to do was in the morning I would need to speak with one of my contacts to see if they could get me some information on this mare. I can understand losing a book but I wondered why there was only one copy of this book. I yawn and figured I would get it to it in the morning. I climbed back up the stairs and went to my room and fell asleep.

The next morning I had gotten up early, I left a note for Mr. Bubblegum Burst as I usually do, letting him know I got a case and was off to see a contact. In the pile of mail on the ground I notice the list of places Miss Music had remembered to drop off. I slip it into my saddle bags as I grab them and I went off to Mr. Lance’s home. He was a contact I had who offered to do whatever he could to help me, like getting information or working with electronics. I enter his house several minutes later. “Hello Mr. Lance, I have a job for you.” I look over to the yellow pony with the three four leaf clovers for a cutie mark.

He smiled. “Oh? What is it?”

"I need you to get me some info on a client for a new case. Do you think you could find me any articles on her?" I told him.

“I can do my best for you. What's her name?”

"Musicnotes." I answered. Mr. Lance nods and searches for a few minutes, looking in his archives for "Musicnotes" and finds four articles. He hands them to me and I start reading them.

“Hmm..very interesting.” I said to myself as I was reading. One of the articles was an old one from a city called New Saddle, it spoke about a foal who was left on a farm. The owners of the farm tried to find the parents but nopony came forward and instead of sending the foal to an orphanage, they kept her. The article went on saying that the princesses said that at the time there was only three alicorns and all of them were princesses. They said it was impossible and it was probably a rumor of that a baby alicorn was found. I check the date seeing this was the point in time before Twilight became a princess.

“Anything else you need while you're here?” Mr. Lance asked me.

"No but thank you sir. I will come if I need any more." I nodded and headed out the door. I had my nose in the papers as I read them. The other articles were about a talent show she was in as a filly and a music shop she opened to help finance her quest as she said to the papers. The store wasn’t opened often and when it was she sold instruments and gave lessons. It wasn’t much background info but it was enough for me.