• Published 10th Aug 2014
  • 527 Views, 7 Comments

Writing Future Pages - River Road



Future Pages is a wandering chronicler, talking to everypony he meets to write down their stories.

  • ...
 7
 527

Book 4: Docket Deeds

“Mister Pages?” The brown earth pony mare with the yellow and white mane trotted up to the small table of the café. She was wearing a purple suit and a red tie, as well as a black sash around the waist.

Pages smiled at her and held out a hoof. “Indeed. Miss Deeds, I presume? It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

Docket Deeds gave a curt nod and a small smile as she shook the offered hoof. “I’ll admit, I was surprised when you asked to meet me for your new book. After Manehattan Affairs, I didn’t expect you to return that soon.”

“Oh, so you’ve read my books, then? Wonderful, wonderful.” Pages grinned and sat down, motioning for her to take a seat across from him. “Yes, it hasn’t been all that long since I was here the last time, but I couldn’t just make a ‘Tour De Equestria’ without one of the most important and diverse town in the country, now could I? Frankly, I think the only place that might have more stories to offer is a little village south of Canterlot.”

“Really? I think I know what village you’re talking about.” Docket let out a small, controlled chuckle and shook her head. “And I’m afraid I haven’t actually bought any of your works yet. I got your latest book as a gift when I graduated. But I’ll admit that it helped me in more than one case so far.”

“Always glad to hear that.” Pages grinned and waved over a waitress. “I’d like a cup of mint tea, please.” He turned back to Docket. “Please, order whatever you’d like. I invited you here, after all.”

Docket gave a short nod. “Thank you. I’ll take an espresso, please.”

“Ahh, coffee…” Pages chuckled as the waitress left to get their beverages. “I usually stay clear of that stuff. Can’t really afford to be twitchy.”

“I can imagine.” Docket gave another small smile. “It must be interesting, travelling as much as you do.”

“Oh, I’m sure it’s not any more interesting than what you do. I can only imagine the stories you’ve heard and experienced in your job.” He waved off, then leaned closer. “Which brings me back on topic… I’d like to know a bit about your own story. Anything that comes to mind, really.”

“Anything that comes to mind, yes?” Docket tilted her head, then glanced down at the sash around her waist. “Well, maybe… You might have heard that I am in a Hoof Fu school. Not half bad at it, either. I’m good enough to teach classes on occasion, at least.”

“Interesting, yes.” Pages nodded and scribbled a few notes.

“Well, the reason my parents gave me for enrolling me there was that I had too much excess energy…” She giggled, more freely than the previous times. “I’ll admit, I was maybe a little hyper at times. But I don’t think that was the main reason. Have you heard about the Diamond Diggers?”

“The group of Diamond Dogs who executed their heists through an underground cave system?” He raised an eyebrow.

“The same.” Docket nodded and frowned. “My cousin Peach is from a rather wealthy family, and apparently the necklace she was always wearing was shiny enough to catch their attention. Before we knew it a couple Diamond Dogs had ripped the necklace from her and I… I wasn’t strong enough to do anything about it.” She sighed. “I know, I was just a little filly, but it still gnaws at me from time to time. My dad caught them, in the end, but I just felt so weak and helpless on that day…”

Pages nodded and took up his tea cup. “And that’s when they suggested you learn martial arts?”

“Yes. It was either Hoof Fu, or Tae-Pon-Do… I chose the more offensive one.” Docket shrugged. “I’ve never regretted it, either. Probably saved my life more than once. Either way, it was another good reason for me to become a Defense Attorney.”

“And that’s a good thing, right?” Pages laughed as he got another small smile out of the mare.
“A good story, I like it.” He took another sip of his tea. “You’re an amazing mare and a role model, Miss Deeds, and I’ll do my best to do you justice in my books. Now, I’d love to hear some more stories about your work as an attorney.”