• Published 10th Aug 2014
  • 521 Views, 7 Comments

Writing Future Pages - River Road



Future Pages is a wandering chronicler, talking to everypony he meets to write down their stories.

  • ...
 7
 521

Book 4: Moxie

“And you do this every year, for the whole forest?” Pages set down his tea cup to give a respectful look at the other pony.

“Twice a year, actually. I get Spring Paint and Fall Paint from the Princess.” Sitting across the table was a young, yellow pegasus mare with a green and brown mane and gray feathers secured behind her ears and at the base of her tail. Right next to her a tiny orange fox pup was sitting on the floor, curiously looking between pages and the mare.

The pegasus took another sip from her tea. “Nopony wants to wrap up winter in the Everfree Forest. That’s why I’m here. It’s not a real Winter-Wrap-Up, but the unicorn paint helps enough to get the plants in and out of winter.”

Pages nodded and took another note. “And why exactly did you decide to live here, Miss Fuchsfeder?” He looked around at the freshly-built treehouse that was located a good ways into the Everfree. “Surely you could just fly down from Canterlot twice a year. Or maybe live in that small town at the edge of the forest, in Ponyville?”

Moxie Fuchsfeder just smiled and shook her head, leaning down to scratch her pet fox behind the ears. The little fox pup responded by happily rubbing his head against her hoof. “I moved here because of Forest. He grew up in the Everfree and I couldn’t just rip him from his home. He wouldn’t have been happy in Canterlot, or any other town.”

“Well, that’s understandable, of course. He really is adorable, and I’m sure he is a good friend and a fierce guard against the dangers of this forest.” Pages chuckled and leaned down until he was close to being on eye level with the pup. “Isn’t that right, little guy?”

Forest looked up at him for a second, then pounced forward and jumped onto Pages’ head to bite one of his ears. The chronicler let out a surprised yelp and stood up again, trying to shake off the growling fox on his head.

“Forest, stop that! I’m really sorry, he doesn’t usually do that with ponies… too often.” Moxie quickly stepped forward to grab Forest before he could do any more harm. The fox indeed paused at hearing her voice, looking up at her with part of Pages’ left ear still between his teeth.

Pages chuckled, wincing just a little. “It’s okay, Miss. It doesn’t hurt much, and it still has a certain kind of cuteness to it. I assume that’s how he shows his affection?”

Moxie gave him an innocent smile. “Oh, I’m glad you aren’t mad… No, he just likes to bite every stallion that comes close to me. Or talks to me in general.” She scratched her fox under the chin until he let go of the ear, then scooped him up in her arms.

“O…kay? Sounds like he’s protective of you, at least.” Pages laughed and rubbed his ear. “Well, I guess that’s my sign to leave, then. It was a very nice conversation with you. I hope I’ll see you again someday.” He smiled and offered her a hoof.

The mare smiled and shook it, then gasped. “Oh, I know! Give me a second.” Before Pages could say anything, she had dashed over to a closet, coming back with a large bucket she dragged across the floor.

Pages watched curiously as she carefully opened the bucket and dipped one feather of her wing into the green liquid inside. “This is the Spring Paint I told you about. If I use just a little bit of this on you, you’ll get out of the Everfree a lot easier.” She stepped up to Pages and smeared the small drop of paint on his back.

The chronicler gasped as a wave of energy washed through his whole body. Moxie just smiled and closed the bucket again. “You’ll feel stronger and more energetic for a while, an hour maybe. It was only a little bit, so you should only feel a bit wobbly when it wears off.”

“Wow… I feel like I could win the Running of the Leaves.” Pages grinned and cantered in place. “In fact, I think I’ll do that now. I wish you the best of luck with your life in this place.”

Moxie waved as he jumped down the ramp to the treehouse and galloped off into the forest.

~~~~~

After about a minute of running, he had gotten used enough to the magic high that he could slow down and start paying attention to his surroundings again. It didn’t take him long to notice the sounds of metal and splintering wood just off the path. Following the sounds, Pages trotted around a large tree to find a pegasus stallion quickly dissecting a group of timberwolves with his wingblades.

Pages watched as the timberwolves were cut to pieces one by one, almost as fast as they could resurrect. They kept attacking the pegasus for a while until they finally had enough and turned tail, growling as they retreated. He waited a few seconds longer, then walked up to the other pony. “Are you alright? That was quite a show you put on, there.”

The pegasus shook out his bladed wings and folded them again before he turned to Pages, grinning. “Nothing I can’t handle. Name’s Flux.” He held out a hoof.

Pages shook it, smiling. “Future Pages. I take it that wasn’t your first run-in with timberwolves, then?”

Flux shrugged. “Eh, I had worse. Though if you know how to get out of this forest the fastest, that’d be just swell. I’m trying to get to Ponyville.”

“Sure, it’s…” Pages paused, then tilted his head and looked around. “Actually, I’m on the way to Canterlot myself, so that’s pretty much the opposite direction. But if you need directions, just a couple minutes down that path is somepony I’m sure can show you the best way to town.” He pointed towards the treehouse he had just left.

Flux nodded and looked in the direction, shielding his eyes with a wing. “Sounds good. I’ll give it a try.” He started walking, raising a wing for goodbye. “Good luck getting out of this forest yourself!”

Pages looked after him, then nodded to himself and turned back around to make his own way back to Canterlot, humming to himself.

He could have just given the pony the direction for Ponyville, but he had a feeling that sending Flux to meet Moxie was the right thing to do.