• Published 30th Jul 2014
  • 582 Views, 28 Comments

A Broken Land - sbloom85



A librarian discovers a strange book, a book that will take him to another world.

  • ...
16
 28
 582

A Day In Ponyville

With the book to Ponyville in possession, I made my way to the library and up to Twilight's prison. I opened it up and was greeted by the unicorn. “Hey, Twilight.”

She gave me a confused look. “Shouldn't you be in Ponyville?”

I nodded. “I ran into Jaxxon.” She winced. “The man is crazy. He was going to burn this book.”

Good thing she was sitting down, otherwise she would have fell. “He wouldn't! That's where he came to Equestria.”

I shrugged. “He had a lighter and told me he'd rather see Ponyville burn.”

She started crying. “Oh, Jaxxon. What has gotten into you? I'm guessing he's still obsessed with saving Lyra.”

I nodded. “Yeah. He won't be threatening to burn any more books any time soon.” I held the lighter so she could see it.

She wiped some tears and gave me a weak smile. “I'm glad to hear that.”

It was my turn to smile. “I'm off to Ponyville. What should I be looking for when I get to the library?”

She rolled her eyes back in thought. “I think we called it the 'English to Ponese Encyclopedia'.”

I nodded. “Thanks, Twilight. I'll get on it right away.” I slowly closed her book. I looked around and saw an empty desk. I made my way over to it and set down the other and opened it. “Well... here goes nothing.” I placed my hand on the page and felt the same energy flow into it.

My eyes widened as I realized something, I forgot to ask about the book to bring me back.


I suddenly found myself in a dark forest. Great, how am I supposed to know where to go? I looked on the ground to find any sticks. I picked up a good-sized one, pulled out the lighter and lit the end. It wasn't the best torch, but it worked well enough. I quickly found the dirt path Twilight mentioned and followed it.

I knew I was getting close to leaving this forest as it was getting brighter the further I went. Finally, it got bright enough that I didn't need my makeshift torch, so I put it out on the path.

I finally left the forest and in the distance looked like a village. It was probably Ponyville. The windmill in the distance resembled the one on the island I just left. It had to be Ponyville.

I got closer to the town and when the first pony saw me, it started screaming and ran off. Not long after that I was met with by rainbow blur that knocked me down and had me pinned to the ground. After getting my senses together, I looked up and saw a rainbow-maned pegasus with a glare that would rival Twilight's when she first saw me.

The pegasus huffed. “What the hay are you doing here?! Where's Twilight?” She hovered off of me and her glare hardened. “Go back and tell Jaxxon to grow a spine and come back himself.”

I scoot back and sat up. “Wait a second! I'm here on Twilight's behalf. I'm here to save you.” It did not look like she believed me. “I also spoke to Princess Celestia, they both know what I'm doing.” I patted down my pants, looking for the lighter and I pulled it out.

Her eyes softened and she raised an eyebrow. “That's Jaxxon's lighter. How did you get it?”

I slowly stood up and put the lighter back in my pocket. “I got it after I stopped him from burning the book you're trapped in.”

She landed, folded her wings and dug at the ground. “Really? Why are you in Ponyville?”

I dusted off my clothes. “Well, I'm looking for Twilight's guide. I need it to translate the books Jaxxon wrote.”

She nodded and resumed hovering. “I'll show you to the library.”

She flew at a slow pace, which made it easier for me to keep up with her. “How long has your world been like this?”

She shrugged. “I lost count after the fifth year and that feels like ages ago.” She flew in front of me, turning around as she did and began to fly backwards while extending a hoof. “Name's Rainbow Dash.”

I extended my arm to shake her hoof. “Pleased to meet you, Rainbow Dash.” She spun around and returned to my side. “I have a question.”

She looked at me with a smirk. “Shoot.”

“How do I get out of here after I get the guide?”

She nodded. “There's an ancient castle where Princesses Celestia and Luna lived. He put the return book there.”

I looked at her and raised an eyebrow. “Why can't any of you leave?”

She let out a heavy sigh. “Believe me, if we could, we would. The guy wrote in a barrier surrounding the castle that pushes ponies away. We can't even get close.”

I hung my head and slowly shook it. “I'm sorry, Rainbow Dash. Once I get back there, I'll find a way to fix this mess.”

She gave me a tight hug and laughed. “You rock!”

We made our way to Twilight's library. Rainbow Dash opened the door and fluttered inside with me close by. “I'm thinking she hid it in the basement. I'll check it out.”

While she searched the basement, I scanned one of the bookshelves. I pulled a book that stuck out and looked at it. Stupid me, expecting to be able to read this stuff when- something fell out of the book. “Hello... what have we got here?” I picked up the object and it was an envelope. There was a seal on the back, it looked like the same insignia that was on Princess Celestia's prison book.

Rainbow Dash emerged from the basement with what looked like a massive encyclopedia. “Found it!” She fluttered to a nearby desk and set it down. “Stupid thing was almost too heavy for me to fly up with.”

I grimaced. “Sorry, Rainbow Dash. I should've helped you.”

She shrugged. “No worries. Looks like you found something, too.”

I flipped over the envelope. “Yeah, it's got the same symbol as Princess Celestia's prison book.”

I showed it to her and she smiled. “That's her cutie mark. I wonder if Jaxxon left it here.”

I snapped my finger. “That's something that's been bugging me. Why would he write everything in your language, rather than his own?”

She rubbed the back of her neck in thought. “I remember him saying that Ponese was easier to write than English.”

I flipped open the door-stopper and groaned. “This is going to take a while.” I looked at her with hopelessness. “Please tell me Twilight has some spare paper.”

She nodded, flew over to another desk and pointed a hoof. “Lots of parchment, quills and unopened inkwells right here.”

I'd kill for a box of Bic pens and a one-thousand page notebook instead of this antiquated mess, but beggars can't be choosy. “Thanks, Rainbow Dash.” I put the envelope into the encyclopedia and closed it, then I walked to the other desk and grabbed a scroll, some quills and an inkwell before taking the guide. “You said the exit was at the Princesses' former castle, right?” She nodded. “Right. Well... I'm off.”

She flew in front of me, quickly, but with melancholy. “Before you go, you should check out Lyra's old place.”

We left the library and I followed her to Lyra's house. We approached the front door and she fluttered to the side. “Nopony's been here since the incident, they didn't want to ruin her memory, you know?”

I nodded. “Is the door unlocked?” She nodded. I looked at the doorknob and shook my head. In a world full of quadrupeds, why would he write in doorknobs? I gripped the knob, turned it, opened the door and walked inside. Rainbow Dash flew off, leaving me to wander this abandoned home.

I walked over to a table and set down the stuff I gathered, then walked over to the mantle. On it sat a series of dusty picture frames. Jaxxon and Lyra were in all of them. In one, the two were kissing; another had the two holding each other tightly while smiling at the camera; in the next one, he was holding a newborn foal and he and Lyra were snuggling. In the next photos, their small family grew larger with a second foal followed by twin foals and a fifth. Jesus... they sure had fun, didn't they? I wonder what happened to those kids.

I found a staircase leading up, glanced into each room until I found one with the largest bed. It had to be their room. I saw a desk on the far side with yet another book on it. I walked up to it and there was a picture of a lyre on it. I opened it up, sure enough, the language inside wasn't English. At first, I was hesitant about touching the paper, considering I ended up here because I touched the inside of a book, but I put a finger on it and nothing happened. I gripped the pages and quickly flipped them. To my relief, nothing happened. This might be Lyra's diary. I could really use a backpack right now.

I turned around and saw a closet. Maybe there was one in there. I opened it up and saw a lot of human clothes hanging. I turned my gaze to the floor and, miraculously, there was a duffel bag on the floor. “Today must be my lucky day.”

I picked up the duffel bag, dropped it on the bed and zipped it open. “What the-?” I reached inside and pulled out an empty ammo clip. I set it to the side and reached back in, pulling out a Book of Mormon. “Figures.” I set that on the bed as well. I wasn't a big fan of organized religion, or any religion for that matter, I could live without it. That doesn't mean I'm an atheist though, if there was a God, he or she was probably disinterested in what we did.

I lifted the bag, walked back to what I assumed was Lyra's diary and set it inside. I looked around the room one more time, imagining Jaxxon and Lyra cuddling on the bed while the sounds of childrens' laughter and screams filled the air. I shook my head and walked out.

I reached the table where I put everything else on and put the items in the bag. I shouldered the bag's strap and headed to the front door. I opened it and was greeted by Rainbow Dash.

She gave me a weak smile. “Hey, thanks again for trying to help us.”

I walked out and closed the door behind me. “I'm actually glad I'm able to. It was getting quite dull at the library.” She raised an eyebrow. “I work at a library. That's how I found Jaxxon's initial book.”

She chuckled. “You an egghead too?”

I started walking and gave a smile. “You could say that.”

She hovered by my side as we made it through Ponyville. “Twilight hates it when I call her an egghead.”

I smiled and shook my head. “But you do it anyway.” She smiled and nodded. “I promise to do everything in my power to put your world back together.”

We made it to the outskirts of the town and she stopped. “Well, this is where I stop. Good luck.”

I extended my arm and we shook. “Thanks, Rainbow Dash, but I think it's going to take more than luck to fix this mess.”

She fluttered closer, hugged me and started crying. “You get him and bring back my egghead!”

I patted her on the head. “I will. Don't wait up.” She let me go and I re-entered the Everfree Forest. It was time for me to return to the island.

I really hope I can fix this...