• Published 2nd Aug 2014
  • 1,145 Views, 85 Comments

Kingdom of Friendship Part 2 - SkyFlare



Princess Twilight thought that the Heartless were a thing of the past with the defeat of King Sombra. She was wrong. A new villain arises and seeks out the only pon that he knows can stand in his way.

  • ...
2
 85
 1,145

Chapter 4 - Clash

“Thank you Zecora.” Grey glanced over her shoulder at her heavily bandaged wings. “I have to go though; I have a bad feeling about Canterlot.”

“I’d stay off that wing if I was you, otherwise you might think that you have déjà vu.” the zebra stated.

Grey could only assume that the zebra meant that she’d have to make a return trip to the small hut if she tried to fly. The bat pony nodded before turning back around and heading out the door.

The Everfree Forest seemed just as menacing as before, the problem was that now she didn’t have a quick way out. No flying meant that if something attacked her, she’d be screwed. Luckily there weren’t a terribly large number of attacks reported from the forest, but on the other hoof, there weren’t terribly many ponies that roamed them.

The pony quickly trotted down the marked path of the forest, making her way out as fast as she could. She stumbled forward as a root caught her hoof. Instead of taking it for what it was though, her mind immediately jumped to a possible worst case scenario. She feared that it was a Fissure and she raised her front right hoof, spinning around quickly to make sure that nothing was attacking her. Once she assured herself that she was alone, she placed her hoof back on the ground for a second before continuing.

Twilight’s eyes stopped on a phrase as she read it for the twelfth time in a row. She had to be certain. “The Overlord is gone.” That was all that it said. It was a journal that had nothing else written on any of the pages. Three pages past the middle of the journal were those four words. Something about the way the words were written seemed oddly familiar to her, like she’d seen something similar before.

The alicorn placed the book on her side, holding it in place with her wing. She then galloped to the entrance of the library before looking back one last time. Everything was in order, possibly in better order than it had been when she’d first entered.

“Did you find what you needed, Princess?” the guard at the entrance asked.

“Yes. Do you know where Princess Celestia is?” Twilight asked, her words flying out at an almost indiscernible rate.

“No, I’m sorry. Perhaps if you go speak with that one pony who I heard has been standing outside the throne room all day he could tell you.” the guard suggested.

Twilight nodded back before teleporting away. She appeared outside the large double doors to the throne room, and saw a single pony leaning against the doors. All she could see were his bright green eyes and a brown unicorn horn jutting out from his forehead.

“Um, excuse me? Sir?” Twilight tried to get his attention.

The pony silently looked to the alicorn before bowing his head slightly.

“Oh… um…” Twilight wasn’t used to the whole bowing thing yet, it made her feel uncomfortable. “Do you know where Princess Celestia is?”

“She should be in the dining hall.” the stallion’s voice was crisp but soft at the same time. He felt familiar to her, but she couldn’t quite figure out why.

“Thank you.” Twilight nodded as she teleported once more, intending to see Celestia this time.

She peered through a window in the door, trying to see if the white alicorn was sitting at the table. Twilight was somewhat glad to see that she was, the reason that she wasn’t overly excited was she still didn’t know how to go about her question. There wasn’t time to waste though; she had to find out about the Overlord as soon as she could.

“Ah, Twilight, I was beginning to wonder where you were hiding.” Celestia smiled as she saw the alicorn walk into the room.

“I need to ask you something.” Twilight stated.

“All right then ask aw…” Celestia’s voice dropped off as her eyes fell upon the book that Twilight pulled from beneath her wing. A book that Celestia had prayed that she would never see again. “Where… where did you find that?”

“The library. I was following some advice. To understand your decision about banishing the Fissure, I’d need to look at it from your point of view. I had to find out what you knew about the Overlord, even if you weren’t going to tell me.” Twilight explained, using her alicorn magic to set the journal on the dining table.

“This journal will do little to reveal what I know about the Overlord.” Celestia explained, taking another bite of food.

“I know, there are only four words. ‘The Overlord is gone.’ That’s all it says.” Twilight replied, her face scrunching slightly.

“Those words don’t appear near the start of the book, do they?”

“No. It’s been bothering me though, why aren’t they on the first page?” Twilight opened the book to the page containing the words.

“Those words were the last one’s written in the journal, true, but they are far from the first. Use the spell that I taught you, the one that allowed for you to look into the past.”

Twilight thought for a second before recalling the spell. She’d used it when Luna had her imprisoned to find a way out, and she used it to see what Sombra had done in the past, to see him killing the ponies. Her horn flared as she cast the spell once more and the pages of the journal turned in a flurry. She was now looking at the first page.

“She is learning quickly.” Celestia read off from her memory, not even glancing toward the book. “Soon she will have the ability to do what her destiny has in store for her. The younger sister is doing excellent as well, but she seems to become jealous too easily. I will have to make sure to speak with her privately at a later date.”

Twilight heard what Celestia said and it registered, but she was unable to tear her eyes away from the name on the inside cover. “Star Swirl” was written in a dark blue ink.

“This was…” Twilight started. “Star Swirl the Bearded!”

“Yes, it was his journal. It starts with the great unicorn teaching my sister and I how to use our powers. I never fought the Overlord; I am just following in his hoofsteps. That was how he was able to defeat the Overlord, and so that I how I intend to fight him.” Celestia explained.

Twilight sat there, dumbstruck. She didn’t know what to think. She’d hoped that finding this journal would help her understand, but now she felt more lost than ever. Star Swirl the Bearded knew the Overlord and they’d fought. That much Twilight was certain of now, but the question remained, how did they know each other?

“Read through his journal. Perhaps you will find an alternative strategy, until then however, the plan will still be to send him away.” Celestia dismissed Twilight and returned to her meal.

Twilight slowly walked down the halls of the castle, unsure of anything. As she walked, she skimmed through the journal. She noticed that every page was limited to one entry and that every entry was fairly short. There was nothing left to do but to read the book. Before she knew it, the pony had left the castle and was out by a paved path.

The lavender alicorn planted her haunches on a bench that was in the shade of a tree. She flipped the book back to the first page and stared at the name for a few minutes. “Star Swirl… what do you have to teach me?” the pony muttered under her breath.

“Bored!” shouted a stallion as he paced angrily. “Raid! You can’t just hold a grudge!”

Raid shook her head and leaned over in her seat. She stared out the window, trying to figure out what her brother would do if he was still there. Simply thinking about him was almost enough to bring her to tears. Their parents had passed away a few years back and they were all that each other had. She felt so alone in the world that she couldn’t stand it.

“Twister, could you please make him shut up?” Raid whispered.

“Yes ma’am.” Twister sighed.

The pegasus trotted down between the separate train cars. As she passed through the car that held the five ponies and single dragon, she was bombarded with questions. She did her best to quell the various worries. Her main goal though, was to get through so that she could talk with Rogue. There were so many questions that she had and only he would know the answers.

“Rogue.” Twister nodded as she stepped into the last train car. “Raid wants me to tell you to be quiet, but I have some questions.”

Rogue glanced over at his comrade before flopping over onto the floor with a sigh. “Yes?”

“Cocoon. He acts strange, like, raving paranoia strange.” Twister smiled uncomfortably.

“Not very questiony for a question.” he rolled his eyes.

“Why?” Twister almost shouted, frustrated.

“I honestly don’t know him. I met with somepony who I thought might be able to help us, but all I could get out of him is that he hates me.” Rogue laughed quietly.

“I don’t blame him.” Twister joked. “You’re an obnoxious jerk.”

“Thanks, I do my best.” Rogue climbed to his hooves. “How’s Raid taking it? Last time I saw her, she was pretty upset.”

“He was her brother. She’s taking it as well as anypony would.” Twister shook her head, her voice was soft.

“She’s been crying a lot, hasn’t she?” Rogue sighed as he walked up to the front of the car.

“Yeah.” Twister swallowed hard. “So they’re the Elements of Harmony?” she tried to change the subject.

“Yup, that they are.” Rogue answered as he opened the door.

“What are you doing? Raid wants you to stay back here.” Twister argued.

“Yeah, I heard that.” Rogue shot her an innocent looking smile as he trotted through the door.

“What’s going on?” shouted a cyan pegasus with a rainbow colored mane.

“Trouble.” Rogue smirked back. “Rainbow Dash, right?”

“Yeah, so what? Tell me why you took us from our homes.” Rainbow Dash shouted back.

Rogue let out yet another sigh. “Princess Twilight Sparkle received a death threat the other night. That threat extended to her friends.”

“Who in the hay is threatenin’ us?” Applejack half shouted.

“All I know is a name. I’m sure that Princess Celestia will inform you of everything that she knows when we arrive in Canterlot. Until then, I need to move up and speak with that grouchy mare in car up front.”

“Is Twilight all right?” asked the small purple dragon, catching Rogue at the last second.

“She’s at the castle. In fact, she’s the main reason that any of us made it out of a fight alive.” Rogue reassured the dragon.

Before another question could be aimed at the bat pony, he quickly slipped into the next car up. He could see the top of Raid’s head over a seat a couple rows up from him. Her soft brown mane rested against the window. She didn’t turn to look back to see who had entered the car.

“Twister, thank you…” Raid said quietly, not moving her head.

“Actually, it’s me.” Rogue smirked. “How are you feeling?”

“Rogue! Go back to your post!” Raid flung her head around, her mane flying wildly. Her eyes were filled with anger.

“I just wanted to say that I’m sorry. If there is anything you need, don’t hesitate.” Rogue turned around and walked away.

Twister stood in the car that Rogue was supposed to be staying in. She thought back to when she’d first met her team. She’d been friends with Raid since they were both fillies and she thought that Tempest was the coolest stallion ever. They all joined the Royal Guard together and ended up being put in a squad together. Once their squad was set up, Rogue had been added to the roster. None of them knew him very well, but he was a good fighter. At first, he and Raid had gotten along really well, until he and Tempest had a fight. Neither of the stallions would say what it was about, but after that, Rogue was practically shunned by both Tempest and Raid. Twister was the only pony who would still talk to him or spend time with him when the job didn’t require it.

She was happy to see him walk back into the car, but her smile faded as she saw his distraught expression. Once he saw her face, he quickly started to smile, not wanting the pegasus to worry about him.

“Yeah, she still hates me. Turns out, I can’t go for a walk.” he shrugged.

“I’m sorry.” Twister pouted. “She doesn’t mean to be like that.”

“Yes she does, and I’m inclined to agree with her.” for the first time in years, he dropped his fake smile and frowned as he let his legs give way and collapsed onto the ground.

“Rogue…” Twister placed a hoof on the bat pony’s shoulder, wanting so badly to comfort him.

Before Twister could say anything else, they heard a shifting behind a crate in the car that they were in. Rogue immediately leapt to his hooves, preparing for anything. He slowly snuck up on the location and his eyes met a pair of silver eyes staring back weakly.

Luna slowly walked into the throne room as she waited to meet with her sister. Celestia was eating last Luna checked, but she was supposed to be returning to the throne soon to greet Twilight’s friends and their escorts. The blue alicorn looked over at a large stained glass window that depicted her return as Nightmare Moon. She let her eyes drift to the next window and the one after that. She looked at each accomplishment Twilight had done as she worked her way to become a princess.

Her thoughts were interrupted as she heard the door behind her creak open. She turned around, expecting to see her sister, but instead her eyes met with a pair of lilac irises that were well below eye level for the moon princess.

“Twilight Sparkle, what brings you here?” Luna asked, taking note of the mare’s expression. Her expression was one of confusion and curiosity.

“I found Star Swirl’s journal that he mentions the Overlord in. Did you know about it?” Twilight asked, stepping into the room and approaching Luna.

“Yes, I was aware of its existence.” Luna responded. “I felt that it would be easier for you to understand these events if you read them the way that he told them. He wrote them as they happened, I would be recalling upon events that occurred well over a thousand years ago.”

“You could have helped me find the book though.” Twilight argued, trying to remain calm.

“You must understand, what I did, I did to help you. While you searched for the book I was loo-” Luna stopped speaking as the door opened again.

“Luna, Twilight, I’ve been looking for you both.” Celestia said as she entered the room and joined the other two alicorns.

“I came here to meet with you as we agreed.” Luna explained.

“I was out in the yard, reading the journal and I just finished it.” Twilight told her part.

“The train has arrived and your friends should be joining us shortly. I believe that Haze will be joining us as well. He has a theory on how to stop the Overlord.” Celestia told the pair.

Twilight froze up for a moment, thinking about the name of the pony that the princess had just mentioned, Haze. She knew it from somewhere. Had she met him before moving to Ponyville?

Her thoughts were brought to an abrupt end when a loud clap of thunder shook the castle. The vibrations reverberated through the walls, staying in the castle for much longer than it would in any other building. Celestia walked over to a window and looked through it, seeing dark clouds covering the sky.

“That’s strange.” she commented. “The storm isn’t supposed to be here for another three days. I wonder what is making the weather ponies start it now.”

Right after she asked the question, another loud clap of thunder rumbled. It was loud enough to block out the sound of a pony entering the castle grounds as the guards were distracted. The pony snuck through the darkened grounds with a stealth that was unmatched. The pony eventually made it inside the castle and dashed into the throne room, charging into the throne room.

“Grey!” Twilight shouted, relieved to see the bat pony still alive.

“Twilight, there isn’t much time. I’ve stopped your friends from coming into this trap, but you’ve got to get out of here too.” Grey panted.

“Twilight, who is this pony?” Celestia asked.

“She’s a friend. She helped protect me from one of the Fissure. Without her, I don’t think I’d be here right now.” Twilight defended the downed bat pony.

“What’s this about a trap?” Luna asked, intrigued by what had been said.

“The Overlord, he doesn’t really know who your friends are…” Grey told Twilight, but answered Luna’s question in the process. “If you bring them here he can kill them though. I spoke to a Royal Guard named Rogue Wind about this, that’s why he set up the storm. He knew that he couldn’t convince his commander to not follow your orders, but he could delay the events long enough for me to stop them.”

“Who is the Overlord?” Twilight asked. “You’re talking like you know everything about him, including where he is.”

“He’s in the same place that gave him the standing to take over my Equestria. He’s an advisor by the name of Midnight Haze.” Grey’s entire body shook as she spoke. She was injured and despite the zebra’s warning, she had used her wings to get out of the sight of one of the guards on the outside. The wing had torn again and she was bleeding heavily, but she positioned herself to hide the red stain on her bandages.

“Midnight Haze?” Celestia stumbled, trying to grasp the concept. The Overlord that she had known could never be Haze; he went out of his way to help ponies, almost breaking his cover while he was trying to prevent crimes from occurring. He could never be the monster that her teacher had once fought all of those years ago. “I can’t believe that, it just doesn’t make sense.” she argued.

“Ponies have this idea that denying the truth will make it go away. When the Princess Celestia of my world was warned, she said almost the exact same thing. Later that day, he got Sombra to send his puppet to kill her.” Grey refuted. “Please, I’m trying to save your life. When he had Midnight Vim kill my Celestia, it was a test. He is multitudes stronger than she ever could have become.”

“I will trust you. Not because what you speak makes any sense, but because Twilight trusts you. Let us take our leave immediately, he is on his way.” Celestia stated.

“Too late.” sang a voice from the door.

A black unicorn stallion stood in the doorway, goggles hanging around his neck, revealing his solid yellow eyes for the first time in this world. His robe still covered his flank, but that was always part of his style.

“You…” Grey gasped, looking into the pony’s eyes for the second time.

“Ah, we meet again Grey Cloud. You played your part well, but you seem to have reached your expiration date. ‘Fraid I’m going to have to off you.” Haze smiled and stepped into the room.

“How dare you betray my trust?” Celestia shouted, sending out a golden blast of magic that radiated warmth.

A yellow shield protected Haze from the blast, but it still blocked his view for a second. During this opportunity, Twilight took Grey and teleported, taking them both out of there. It was up to Princess Celestia and Princess Luna for the time being.

“Twilight!” Spike shouted as both the alicorn and the bat pony appeared and tumbled across the soaked pavement of the Canterlot street. “Are you all right?” Spike asked, seeing red stains cover Twilight’s coat.

“Grey! You’re bleeding!” Twilight gasped, on the verge of completely freaking out. There was so much blood and the alicorn had no idea what to do, but if she didn’t act fast, her friend would surely bleed out.

Spike ran over to them and tried to apply pressure to the bat pony’s wing, but they were instantly interrupted as a flash of yellow blinded them. Haze ran over to them, a large scar across his face, courtesy of Princess Celestia. The moment that he touched Twilight, she used a teleportation spell, taking her, Grey, Spike, and Haze to anywhere that she could. At the exact same moment, Haze tried to teleport them as well. And Grey tried to use some of her energy to teleport blast the Overlord away with an ancient arcane magic from her world.

All of these things together did something that none of the ponies, nor the dragon, could have ever anticipated.

When Twilight woke up, the rain was gone, but something felt different. Different from normal, but strangely familiar at the same time. She opened her eyes and looked down at her hands…

“Hands!” Twilight shouted, startle Spike and Grey awake.

Author's Note:

Now for that Human tag to come in to play. Hands. I have some really bad hand puns lined up, but I'm resisting the urge, due to my hatred of puns.