• Published 5th Aug 2014
  • 4,752 Views, 126 Comments

The 18th Brewmare of Bluey Napoleon - horizon



In his influential analysis of the coup d'etat that would become known as the Rutting Revolution, Curly Marks wrote that history repeats itself — "the first time as tragedy, the second time as Prince Blueblood."

  • ...
6
 126
 4,752

Epilogue

"One percent approval!" Blueblood said, pounding his hoof on the table and rattling the teacups on their saucers. "That simply can't be right!"

"I must admit," Poncemercy said, flipping a newspaper page as he sipped his tea, "I was hoping for more common sense from the commoners."

"It would have been free money for mares, and far cheaper than a house of ill repute for stallions. Who turns down a deal like that?"

Poncemercy shrugged. "Look on the sweet side, old grape. If we only count the stallion vote, that brings it up to almost two percent."

Blueblood re-examined his newspaper as the light of Celestia's dawn drifted upward. "It must be a typo."

"You said it. We'd have won if they hadn't left out a digit or two."

The prince dropped his newspaper, picked up another one, and shook it angrily. "We'd have won if those traitorous fourth columnists of the press hadn't sabotaged us with their lies! Listen to this, Ponce. 'It defies understanding how the historic advancement of male suffrage could have originated in a transcendently awful bill which would amount to legalized slavery.'"

"Outrageous!"

"That's a complete misreprehension! You don't pay slaves!"

"Speaking of," Poncemercy said, "did you see the editorial where they suggested paying every noble to never foal again? They said we could solve all of Equestria's problems in a generation." He put a hoof up to his chin. "I wonder how much they're offering."

Blueblood crumpled his paper and grabbed another. "'Dear Prince Blueblood, we'd like to tell you why your bill is a bad idea, but we can't use words small enough for you to understand, and we don't have room to print pictures.' The nerve!" He shuffled through several newspapers in quick succession. "Isn't there anypony who was rational enough to see the benefits of the proposal?"

"Hum," Poncemercy said, flipping through his stack. "Ah! Here's an interesting letter to the editor from our embassy in Saddle Arabia: 'We would like to tell you exactly what we think about H.R.H. Blueblood's proposal, but alas, due to local laws regarding what sentiments may be expressed when members of a royal family are involved, we are prevented from sharing our opinion.'"

Blueblood lowered his newspaper. "Prevented?"

"Indeed. Now there's an idea —"

"Up-bup-bup." Blueblood held up a hoof. "Saddle Arabia's ruled by stallions, yes? I remember the king visiting."

"Right," Poncemercy said. "Stallions straight down the line. They don't even let their mares out in public without those face-curtains."

Blueblood slowly stood up, indignation contorting his features. "Not a single one of our detraitors bothered to hide their opinions, Ponce. But the embassy in the land of stallions was held back by law!" He slammed a hoof into the table. "No wonder we lost, if there was a legal conspiracy ahoof to derive our gender of media support!"

Poncemercy leapt to his hooves. "Great fewmets, old raisin! How are we going to make any progress with the laws in such a state?"


*WHAM*

"Auntie!"

"Yes, I can order a recount," Celestia said, staring down at the signatures she was scribbling on a large pile of scrollwork, "but since the loss wasn't within a 5 percent margin, the challenger, i.e. you, has to cover all associated costs."

Blueblood paused. "You can? I —" He shook his head and stood a little straighter. "We'll talk about that later! There are principles at stake!"

She hesitated for a moment, then resumed her signing. "Oh?"

"The stallions of Saddle Arabia are being pressed again, Auntie! Our embassy wasn't able to speak up about my bill, and you cannot possibly call Equestrians free if ponies of proper conscience cannot speak their minds! I demand we issue a diplomatic condemnation ex post factotum!"[24]

Celestia's quill stopped dead, and for a terrifying moment Blueblood thought he'd crossed a line.

Then, in one fluid motion, she set it down, looked up, and leaned forward, resting her chin on her forehooves and fixing Blueblood with an enigmatic smile.

"I'm listening," Celestia said. "Tell me more."