• Published 7th Aug 2014
  • 623 Views, 6 Comments

To Be a Princess... - akajulester



Being a princess is not all high society tea parties, tiaras, and having your way. Only special ponies can handle the weight of responsibility, and these two princesses are ready to rule.

  • ...
0
 6
 623

A Slight Magical Mishap

Luna fidgeted as the lesson endured. She was tired of sitting up straight in her chair, and listening to the pretty unicorn lecture about the importance of manners. She looked over to her right, and became even more annoyed as she saw Celestia quietly taking notes, her posture a picture of perfectness. Luna looked back to her parchment, and winced slightly as she saw what she had scribbled there. She had written down notes at the beginning of the lesson, but had quickly lost interest. Doodles filled the page, and she could just barely read her horrible penmanship. She glanced up at her teacher, who thankfully had not noticed the inattentiveness of one of her students.

Princess Platinum was a very beautiful princess, with her long, silky, blue-gray hair, and her silvery body. Her eyes were a lovely shade of blue, and her eyelashes were long and curled. She wore a small golden tiara with a small sapphire in the middle, a golden necklace with another sapphire, and golden shoes. She had conjured up a projection with her magic, her horn shimmering with a light blue. She pointed to her diagram of posture, showing how slouching was uncomfortable and unappealing.

Luna looked once more at her sister, who was listening to Platinum. She could barely see Celestia's notes, but she did see the third long roll of parchment that had been finished.

"... and since you two have been listening so politely, you may go to lunch. Meet me back here tomorrow afternoon, after your magic lesson with Clover."

Luna sighed in relief, and guiltily packed up her parchment. Celestia, however, still was in learning mode. She looked over her notes, crossing out things and scribbling words into the margins with her quill. Her tongue was sticking out, and she flicked her ear a bit.

"Um... Tia?" No answer. "Tia, we can go to lunch now!" Luna was still left with no answer. She walked over to Celestia, and prodded her back. Tia fidgeted slightly, but she paid no mind to Luna, who began to frown. Luna looked at her sister's pot of ink, which was right next to the parchment. Grinning evilly, she reached out towards it with her hoof to knock it over.

Tink!

"Aaack! Do not startle me like that, Luna!"

Luna blinked for a seconds, first looking at the barely moved pot of ink, and then to her sister's annoyed face. She rolled her eyes, and galloped of to lunch. Celestia, shaking her head, packed up her things and followed Luna to lunch.

////\\\\

As Luna quietly sipped her water, she looked out the large window to her right. She could just barely see the Everfree Forest, her forest that had been her life before coming here. While she was not neglected, and was treated like a real princess, she still longed for her parents. She wanted to be held protectively under the wing of her father, as he taught her about the night sky and all of its wonder. She wished to see once more the breath-taking beauty of her mother's mane flowing like a river in the early sunlight. But most of all, Luna wanted Celestia to stop being so irritable and fussy all of the time.

Before they had come to Ponyville, Celestia had been as fun-loving as Luna, if not more. She had often gotten into mischief, especially when practicing her magic. Luna smiled as she recalled a particularly mischievous time, when Celestia had attempted to raise the sun without adult supervision. Solara had been attempting to teach her how to do so for a couple of weeks. Celestia had nearly incinerated herself with the magic and power of the sun, and after that event, Solara decided that Celestia would have to wait until she was older.

Most of all, Luna was upset about how the adult ponies treated her. They had instantly made up rules after hearing Luna proudly announce that she had mastered the "Royal Everfree Voice" in the Royal Everfree Voice. Clover had also made the rule about not using the "Royal We." She had said something about it not being grammatically correct or something like that. Luna had been most upset, and almost threw a temper tantrum before Celestia gave in and agreed to give Luna her desert for a few nights.

Though she had asked and asked, the grown-up ponies refused to give Luna any information about her parents. She often pelted Celestia with her unanswered questions, but the only response that she got was that Celestia was in the dark as well. Luna was becoming rather annoyed, both at her parents and her teachers. She had been waiting for almost a week, and she had recieved no word of her beloved parents.

The truth, of course would have devastated the sisters, Luna especially. The Council members were very nervous and unsure of how and when to tell them the whereabouts of Astro and Solara. Hurricane argued that the truth was always harsh, and it was better that they were told sooner than later. Pansy worried about the reactions the two would have, given that the fillies' parents had been their world. Both Puddinghead and Smart Cookie, having never had foals of their own, were unsure about how deal with such a blow to Luna and Celestia. Platinum offered that the two could be even better well kept, being given more attention and gifts to ease the blow, and Clover agreed that it could work.

In the end, it was agreed by all Council members that the girls would be given until next week. They all felt guilty for prolonging it so much, but the fillies would need to become comfortable and trusting of them before they could say such a thing to the girls. If they just suddenly dropped this heavy information on them, and since Luna was so little and still unsure about them, the sisters might overreact. It was best to ease it onto them, so as not to crush them from the weight of the tragedy.

////\\\\

"That's it... almost there and... Yay! You did it!"

Clover beamed with pride as she watched Luna easily create a small cloud, which began to snow very slowly. She had created a cloud not quite the size Clover had been hoping for, but it was an excellent start. Celestia, however, was having problems. Nopony knew this, not even Celestia, but there was a simple explanation to it. Being an alicorn of the sun, which is very hot, Celestia would of course have difficulty casting spells dealing with cold, snow, and ice.

Celestia narrowed her eyes as a bead of sweat rolled down her cheek, her horn encased in a golden glow. After several seconds of just standing there, she let out a triumphant shout as a cloud appeared in front of her. Luna giddily raced over to hug her when she abruptly stopped.

"Tia? Is it supposed to be dark and scary looking?" Luna took a step back, cowering slightly. Celestia, confused, turned to her cloud. Her eyes widened in fear as the cloud swelled and let out a menacing rumble of thunder. Clover, however, did not seem very worried in the least.

"Oh, you must have created a small electricity cloud,' she exclaimed, obviously delighted. "I'm impressed that you are still keeping it going! They take up a lot of magical effort."

Celestia suddenly noticed that her horn was still glowing - and she could not stop it. She panicked, and frantically tried to stop her horn from keeping the spell going. As the cloud began to get slightly bigger, and she began to hyperventilate, while Luna hid behind Clover.

Clover sighed impatiently. "Girls, there is no need to worry! Celestia, please turn off the spell and I will help you create a small snow cloud."

"I-I can't!"

Clover's eyes widened. "Um... WHAT??"

Luna began to panic as well, and asked, "Should I get help from Mr. Star Swirl?"

Clover nodded frantically, and Luna raced off down the corridor. Clover attempted to contain the massive cloud inside a shield. It worked, but just barely. The thundercloud continued to expand, and it would break through her shield soon. The cloud was also filled with electricity, and any physical contact with it would get them zapped. Clover shoved Celestia behind her, while she hastily enlarged the shield.

Meanwhile, Luna frantically cantered to the only unicorn who could know where Star Swirl was - Princess Platinum.

"Princess Platinum!!!!!!!!" Platinum turned with a jolt as Luna skidded into her room. The little filly nearly crashed into the wall, as the hardwood floors had just been polished.

"Good heavens, child!" Platinum exclaimed, startled. "You mustn't be running about this citadel as if the Gates of Tartarus had been opened!"

Luna completely ignored the unicorn princess. "B-but *pant* Tia and Cl-clover *cough* big ELECTRIC CLOUD!!!" Platinum started back a bit at the filly's sudden yell. However, she knew it must be important, if Clover had let Luna out of her sights during a lesson so willingly.

"Luna," she calmly stated. Luna stopped freaking out (only a little bit), and as she looked up, Platinum could see the fear in her eyes. "Luna, I am not good with magic. Shall I call Star Swirl?" Luna nodded frantically, and Platinum quickly sent a quick, mental message to Star Swirl. It was quiet for a few seconds, until--

Pop!

Star Swirl calmly dusted his shoulder with a hoof. He quickly turned to Luna, asking, "Luna, Platinum-" he nodded towards her "-has told me about some sort of electrical storm. Can you lead me to it?"

Luna nodded, and raced out of the room, Platinum and Star Swirl not far behind. They were lead to Clover's lesson room, and Star Swirl cautiously opened the door.

Clover was backed up against a wall, with Tia cowering behind her. The cloud had swelled enormously, and Clover appeared to be extremely strained.

"Clover, I shall take over from here. Show me the filly."

Clover revealed the terrified Celestia, her horn still shining with her golden aura. Tia looked up at the cloud, her face filled with horror.

"Magic surge," Star Swirl mumbled to himself, "must not be too powerful." His horn lit up with a light blue glow, and an energy seeped from his horn. It wrapped around the massive cloud, encasing it until none of the dark gray could be seen.

Pop!

The swirling blue energy swirled into a whirlpool, disappearing in a dot with a pop. The cloud was nonexistent, and Clover let out a breath that she did not realize she had been holding. She lifted her hoof away from Celestia, who cautiously peeked up at the ceiling. Her horn no longer shimmered with a golden aura, but she was obviously shaken from the ordeal.

Luna rushed over to her sister, throwing her hooves around her. Tears streamed down the filly's face, as she buried her muzzle into Tia's chest. Tia herself broke down, almost going into a hysterical crying fit.

"Clover? Platinum? What is going -- woah, what happened??"

Smart Cookie had just stuck his head into the room, with Pansy, Puddinghead, and Hurricane behind him. Pansy immediately shot in upon his statement, and saw the two girls crying.

"Oh, you poor dears!" Pansy dashed over to them, wrapping her large, graceful wings around them. She had become something of a mother figure for them, a stand-in for Solara. While she was nothing like their real mother, she was caring, kind, and just. Pansy favored none - like Solara and Astro - and treated everypony equally.

Pansy faced the three unicorns, her mouth set into a stern frown. "What happened here?"

Clover scratched the back of her head and smiled nervously. "Eh heh, just a slight magical mishap?"

Author's Note:

If you're confused over my description of Princess Platinum, check out my DeviantArt! I posted a picture of her there.

http://totalartist101.deviantart.com/art/Princess-Platinum-472599794

Also, if you're confused over the "Royal Everfree Voice," since Canterlot doesn't exist yet, it was changed to "Royal Canterlot Voice" when Canterlot was built on the mountain.