• Published 29th Jul 2014
  • 1,399 Views, 78 Comments

Brave New Worlds. - Balancer



A utopia among the stars, two sisters struggle to connect with a world they once called their own.

  • ...
5
 78
 1,399

First step

Towering monoliths of glass and metal filled the skyline, shining under the midnight moon, oblivious to the teeming hordes of life that filled them. Monuments to the marvels of technology and engineering, they stood proudly as tiny shapes drifted between them. Large holographic billboards streamed down them like robes of flowing light, illuminating the full majesty of their splendor as the city shined under the night sky. The spires of glass stretched out for kilometers, as far as they eye could see, on occasion they would part like a sea of metal to reveal a patch of green.

Further out, the spires gave way to a sea of squat concrete and glass blocks that formed a thick ring around the inner city. They were not quite as tall as their monolithic kin, but while they lacked grace, they gave off an air of utilitarianism. Interspersed between them was a network of alleyways that blanketed the urban sprawl like the cardiovascular system of some great breast. Beyond the city, long stretches of black rippled across the land, like massive tendrils of some ancient monster seeking out its prey, consuming all things natural it touched. And at the center of it all stood a mountain, the city growing out of it like some cancer or perhaps it bloomed from the mountain like a flower, its roads akin to its roots. Regardless the city had consumed that mountain replacing what it took with parts of itself, only the castle stood untouched.

The castle had once dominated the skyline, alone and aloof. Now it lay nestled atop the urban sprawl like a gem atop a dragon’s hoard, a cherry atop a sundae. Time had not affected it, the city had not claimed it as it stood above, visible to all who lived below. It was said that its towers gave the best view of Canterlot at night, unmatched by any terrestrial view sans the few remaining traveling cloud cities of yore when they happened to drift across the fabled capital.

Luna leaned on the edge of her balcony, well, what used to be her balcony. Twilight had graciously offered her old room in the castle to her for however long she might want it.

I wonder if she wants board? Luna thought idly as she surveyed the city, the moonlight glinting off the glass windows of the surrounding skyscrapers. Content to take in the view, she would've preferred to see it from the air but had decided against it in the meantime, wanting to spend some time with her sister before exploring the city.

An apt name, they do indeed scrape at the sky. I wonder how they stay up, surely the wind would knock them over?
An icon popped into field of view, startling her for a second, apparently her interface had picked up a stray add from the city around her. She had only just acquired the device and already she had begun to see how intimately it had been woven into the world around her. Ignoring the beep, Luna shifted her weight slightly and closed her eyes, the icons shifting into her far peripherals.

A yawn escaped her, it had been a long day and she had been given much to think about. Her sister had also been put up in her old room and had said that she would be stopping by soon to talk.

She probably wants to talk about Twilight, can’t blame her. Luna thought to herself.

The ship that had transported them was hanging in orbit above them, far above the cloud layer. She, or rather it, had offered its services as a personal interplanetary transport, if they didn’t want to use the trains until they had adjusted to modern life. The ship has also made it clear that a place in it’s crew would be open to them if they wanted it.

It was fascinating, Luna had yet to stop being amazed by this new world and idly wondered how long that would last. Twilight taken the idea of trains as public transport, something that was only in it’s infancy in her time, and by combining it with the ability to make stable portals had created an interstellar network. The logistics of such a system baffled her.

A gentle warmth filled the room as Celestia walked in, Luna smiled as she picked herself up off the balcony edge and looked over at her, waving her over with a hoof. Her sister always knew how to brighten up the room where ever she went. Celestia smiled in return and trotted over, giving her sister gentle nudge as she took a place next to her.

“They hadn’t changed, Luna,” She said in a small voice. “She kept our rooms as they were.”

“And? You did the same for me if I recall.”

“Yes, but I knew you would come back to me, Twilight…she didn’t. I checked the tour guide for the castle, she preserved our rooms,” Celestia looked over her shoulder. “Why do you think she did that?”

Luna shrugged. “Either she missed us as she said, or perhaps it was as a trophy.”

“It all feels so strange, Lulu,” Celestia replied, her voice barely a whisper. “I was lying on my bed and when I closed my eyes I could almost fool myself that this was just a bad dream. But when I look out the window…” A shiver went through her body. “And it’s all so…different. Is this how it was for you?”

“At times, yes,” Luna said wistfully, head resting on her hooves. “Sometimes at night I would fly over Canterlot and Equestria, like I used to do before my…my first banishment,” She winced slightly as she corrected herself.

“I recall, you used to love those night trips of yours,”

A smile graced both their faces briefly. “I did, but you remember that not long after I returned I came barging into your room one night crying,”

“You were so adorable, hysterical as everything, but the little filly look suited you, brought back good memories. I thought you were having a nightmare?”

“Even though I was still weak at the time I had convinced a couple of the night guard to sneak me out on a chariot. I wanted to go on a midnight flight again, but even though I knew the view would be different…I wasn’t prepared, seeing it. Seeing the lights of the cities blanketing the ground, it drilled how far removed I was from everything I had known.”

A comforting white wing, a soft warmth radiating off it, wrapped around her as Luna leaned against her sister as they looked out over the city. “The only things that were the same were my room and you, you helped me to adjust to a world that had moved on without me.”

“Only now the world moved on without us Tia.”

“I know Lulu, what do you make of-“

“Twilight?” Luna cut in, raising an eyebrow a she pulled away slightly.

“Well I was going to say everything but that works.”

Rolling her eyes Luna settled back in. “I don’t know Tia, she’s certainly done better than I would in her horseshoes. Maybe better than both of us.”

“Maybe,” Celestia mused, as they settled into a relaxing silence, both lost in thought.

Sometime later Luna felt Celestia shift her wing uncomfortably. “What’s wrong Tia?”

“Can we trust her?”

“You’d know better than I, sister.”

The white alicorn was quiet for a moment. “I don’t know if I do, Lulu. So much about her is different, that confidence, that arrogance.

Twilight didn’t possess anything like that, she certainly never threatened anypony.”

“She’s not Twilight, not the one we remember,” Well not that my memory is so fantastic right now.

“But at the same time…”

“She’s similar, but that’s it Tia. Trust me, Twilight is gone,”

“I’m not entirely sure, I did some research with this…device she gave us. I…I think she might be telling the truth, if anything she’s certainly not under the Nightmare’s thrall.”

Luna looked up at her sister, Celestia was looking down at her with an uneasy look in her eye.

“How can you be so sure?”

“Because she let us go.”

A silence overwhelmed them, rolling over the pair of sisters as it dragged the conversation away. Not sure what to say they remained silent, each lost in their thoughts.

“Tia, what do you think of these devices?” Luna asked, breaking the quiet.

Celestia looked off in thought for a few moments. “They’re certainly interesting, annoying at times but certainly interesting. Why?”

“I was thinking, the last time I woke up from banishment, progress had begun to take its strides, much to my embarrassment,” She said, electing a giggle from her sister.

“I remember, you almost set the kitchens on fire trying to make popcorn.”

“Hush, we agreed to never speak of that again,” Luna said, swatting Celestia on the nose with her hoof, a small grin appearing on their faces for a second. “As I was saying, things had changed, new technologies that baffled me for months on end. I have been awake for barely a day and yet I am beginning to use this Interface as if I had possessed it for years.”

“Really? I could barely navigate the search function. Welcome had to help me with most of my research.”

“I’m not going to lie Tia, it’s worrying me.”

Celestia looked at her sister with some confusion. “So what, you're mastering new technology faster than usual? If I recall correctly you took to modern photography rather well, besides the device appears to operate on mental impulses, an area that you have some skill in.”

“Perhaps. You might be right but you didn’t have Twilight digging around in your head,” Luna replied, glaring out at the city. “I did my own research Tia, I have a suspicion that my adjustments to this age of information isn’t all my own doing.”

“You think she’s implanted the knowledge into you?”

“I don’t know and I suspect I won’t ever know until it is deemed right to tell me.”

“Sister, I am so sorry. I can only begin to imagine what you might be feeling right now. To wonder if your actions are even your own,” A shudder ran across Celestia’s body before she pulled her little sister in closer reflexively. “Do you suppose she made it up, the reason for going into your mind in the first place?”

“No,” Luna replied, causing Celestia to raise an eyebrow in shock. “Truthfully, I feel better now, confused and bitter as I am, than I have in centuries.“

“Tia, for the first time in my life I feel free,” A smile slowly spread across the blue alicorn’s face as she lifted herself up, held herself a little taller. “I can think and not have to force myself to stay away from darker pastures.”

“And yet you feel angry at Twilight for making you doubt yourself,” Celestia said, watching her sister slump forward.

“I can taste the freedom sister, I know I have paid dearly for it and subsequently forgotten why.”

Celestia rubbed her wing across her sister in a comforting fashion. “We’ll get through this together Luna.”

“I don’t know Tia, a part of me...I don’t know. It feels as if a part of me is missing.” Luna sighed. “Funny thing though, I don’t know if I want it back.”

“So what do we do now?”

Luna looked over her shoulder at her sister, raising an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

“Well...what do you think we should do with ourselves? It’s not like we’ve any important duties.” Celestia said, fidgeting slightly as a look of unease crossed her face.

The look didn’t go unnoticed by her sister. “I suppose we do what we feel is right Tia, what do you want to do?” She said as she ran a hoof over her sisters wing.

“I don’t know, it’s been a while since I had to worry about any responsibilities. Strange as it sounds I don’t think I’m going to enjoy retirement. What about you Lulu?”

Luna went quiet as she ran the idea over in her mind. “I honestly haven’t given it much thought, been a bit preoccupied. Though now that you mention it...actually forget it,” She said, blushing and turning away slightly.

“What?” Celestia asked, a grin on her face. “What are you thinking?”

“Well you know how Twilight and Welcome mentioned that they could control biology now right?”

“Yes?”

“And how they could create bodies?”

“Yes?”

“Well I just thought of it, but maybe there might be a...stallion...who can, you know, keep up with us…” Luna mumbled as Celestia burst out laughing.

“Really Luna? That’s the first thing you think of?” Celestia said between bursts of laughter.

“Oh stop it, I recall you wearing out your entire guard when the mood took you,” Luna retorted, giggling as Celestia’s face went red with embarrassment. “Why if anything I suspect that such a search would be at the top of your list!”

“Well at least I never bedded Sombra.” Celestia teased back as Luna gasped.

“Oh well if that’s how you want to play, at least I never woke up all of Canterlot with my screaming.”

Giggling furiously Celestia leaned on the balcony to support herself. “The look your face when you...barged in…” She said, panting for breath.

“I know, I thought you were being murdered.” Luna said as she laughed with her sister. “You were just being stabbed,”

“Oh that reminds me of the time Twilight…” Celestia began, trailing off as she mentioned her former student.

Looking at each other as the laughter drained away, the sisters sighed and leaned closer together.

Well that killed the mood. Luna thought to herself as she suppressed a snort with little success.

“What?” Celestia asked.

“Stabbed,” Luna replied with a smile.

“Oh shut it,” Her sister responded, swatting her on the nose.

Still smiling Luna shook her head. “I don’t know Tia, honestly I just want to get away from here.”

“Get away? Why, this is our home...Luna?” Celestia asked, concerned.

“I...there just too many bad memories here sister. Maybe this was meant to be, a real chance to start fresh, for both of us.”

“But this is our home Luna, you can’t just leave so soon.”

“This isn’t just for me sister, I’ll finally be out of your hair...at least for a while. I just need some space, some time away.”

Celestia’s wings dropped slightly as she hung her head. “I’m sorry if I-”

“No, sister, I am. I just can’t be apart of...this,” Luna replied, waving her hoof across the skyline. “You know better than anypony why.”

“That’s in the past Luna, you can’t keep beating yourself up over it. Let it go.”

“I am Celestia, maybe it’s time you let go of me.”

Breaking away from her sister, Luna pushed herself over the lip of the balcony, spreading her wings and taking to the sky.

“Luna!” Celestia shouted, preparing to take off after her. “Where are you going?”

An icon popped up in her vision, a message from Luna.

-I need to take in the city sister, a flight will help clear my head. You are welcome to join me. - Luna sent, hovering in the air as she looked back at her sister. –But I suspect you won’t find the view to your liking. –

“...you’re all I have left.” Celestia whispered in the night air, her body seeming to shrink in on itself.

-I know.-

The sisters looked at each other across the divide, the cool night air blowing between them as the stared at each other. For a second Celestia tensed, almost ready to take to the skies after her sister, only to relax her muscles and look away as Luna banked toward the lights of the city. In a matter of seconds she was gone.

Luna didn’t begrudge her sister for staying behind, she knew all too well what was going through her head.

Maybe I should stay and comfort her? She thought to herself, quickly dismissing the thought as a fast moving metallic object barrelled past her at high speed, its lights blinding her. Luna tucked her wings in and rolled in the air, the craft narrowly missing her. Her vision still blurry Luna reacted on instinct and threw up a shield around herself as a fast moving metallic object swerved around her, clipping her shield.

What in Tartarus! Luna thought to herself as she dived towards the roof tops beneath her, the blue sheen of her shield distorting the lights around her.

A flicker of red and blue appeared in the distance, her overlay quickly magnified her vision to reveal they were a trio of metal automata that her Interface I.D as security drones. Alighting on the roof top Luna dropped her shield and waited for the drones to arrive.

No sense in making them chase me. She thought to herself as they rapidly zoomed towards her.

However to her surprise the trio of drones speed past her silently, almost too fast for her to see. Their red and blue field blurring
as they banked downwards into the city. Curious, Luna stretched her wings to take off after them when a roaring boom ripped over head from nowhere, the sound causing her to flinch and drop to the ground again.

That…that was a Sonic Rainboom? Where's the color? She thought, confused but still determined to explore the city around her. Taking wing again, though with significantly more caution this time around as her overlay suggested she use the flying lanes around the city.

Now you tell me.

Looking out over the roof top and down into the city streets Luna watched as her vision filled with blinking icons, many advertisements for local business. Scowling, Luna mentally brushed them aside and watched as Pegasus’s zipped along in-between the traffic and buildings, never rising up much higher than a few of the billboards that stood atop the towering sky scrapers. All above her a blanket of lights soared, intermixing with the stars of what was once her night sky as commuters used the higher air and wider space to quickly speed over the city below.

Fascinated by the spectacle of lights, Luna dipped down into general traffic, ignoring the many puzzled looks she received as she flew along.

Wow, so many lights, so much electronic chatter….how does anypony sleep? She thought bewildered as she cleared her vision of the translucent add screen for a third time in the past few minutes. A loud honking noise brought her attention back to reality as she quickly realised she was heading for a collision with a rather large craft, helpfully ID’d as a freight truck. A flashing array of yellow and red warned her that the vehicle was suffering braking issues, the overlay advising her to seek safety. The lumbering behemoth slowly began to turn as it hurtled towards her, a bright blue sheen firing from underneath as the driver desperately tried to slow down to no avail.

Nimbly dodging the craft Luna spun herself around just in time to watch as the truck scrapped one of the billboard projectors, the holographic screen flickering as the emitter fell away from the building with a shower of sparks towards the scattering crowd below. The truck shuddered as it hit the building and spun in the air, the blue light underneath the craft fluttered and died, following the emitter.

Ahh crud.

Looking up at the falling truck, a small earth pony filly stood watching paralysed with fear, a horrified expression on her face as the sparking metal craft fell towards her. Nearby her mother screamed, trying to fight the panicked crowd as they swept her away.
Already diving, Luna speed ahead of the falling tube her horn lighting with a blue glow as she wrapped her telekinesis around the emitter and runaway truck, landing above the filly. Shielding the filly with her body, Luna looked up at the falling metal, wrecked emitter and damaged truck faintly glowing blue as Luna focused her concentration. Beneath her the filly gasped, her expression quickly changing from fear to awe as alicorn’s horn glowed bright for a second, the falling emitter and truck coming to a grinding halt.

Slowly moving the objects through the air to give the crowd time to move, Luna placed them on the ground and turned to the filly between her legs.

“Are you okay?” Luna asked, giving the filly a smile as she reached for her.

The filly stared at her with an open mouth as one of Luna’s hooves wrapped around her and gently scooped her up. “Woh,” She mumbled.

Luna giggled slightly as she looked around for the filly’s mother, spotting her as she wrenched herself free from the gathering wall of onlookers with a cry. Rushing over she snatched her filly from Luna’s hooves, alternating between smothering the filly in kisses and spewing thanks at the alicorn.

Blushing slightly Luna couldn’t help but notice as the crowd began whispering among themselves, her hearing picking up fragments of what they were saying.

“Is th-“

“….una?”

“Did you see that?”

“….ved that fil-“

“What’s Princess Lun-“

“…en Twilight’s idea?”

“Is the filly okay?”

“What happe…ruck….hat Luna?”

Suddenly the filly’s mother went still as she slowed down enough to actually look at the mare who saved her daughter. Her mouth making an O shape as she took an involuntary step backwards before blushing in embarrassment.

“I, um, thank you, Miss Luna,” She muttered as she nodded her head.

“It was nothing, just doing my duty,” Luna replied as the crowd broke into an applause.

Looking around Luna watched as the crowd cheered her name, a drone caught her eye as it zipped over the heads of the onlookers, rushing up to her.

“Well done Miss Luna, well done! A fantastic comeback indeed!” The little metal disc shaped drone nattered as its field flashed a dizzying mix of blues, greens and yellows. “Siv Breblok, journalist with The Star News, at your service.”

“Pleased to make your acquaintance Master Drone,” Luna said as the drone frittered around her like a blowfly, reviewing its credentials as she tracked its movements.

“Ah that old world charm, real breath of nostalgia, would you be willing to answer a few questions? I’m sure all these good people have questions and I’m the drone to ask them,” Siv replied as the crowd parted way for a pair of equestrians, one a unicorn and the other a changeling dressed in white and blue.

“Who are they?” Luna asked a second before her overlay provided the answer, identifying them as police officers with the central Canterlot PD. “Never mind, better question-“

“Why’s one a changeling?” Siv finished.

“Precisely.”

The disc shaped drone floated in the air, making small rapid adjustments as police walked over. “Big history Miss Luna, maybe you should take a trip over to the History Museum. Officers, how nice of you to show up.” It called out.

“History museum?” Luna asked, accessing the city tourism page.

Established circa 297 TR (Twilight Reign) at the behest of Her Majesty, the museum was constructed with the goal of ensuring that the public never forgets the sacrifices made in the journey that has forged our Imperium. Though the content was highly controversial in nature with the Parliamentary Cabinet of the time (and remains so at times with the larger galactic community) , given that the exhibits at times paint Her Majesty (and by extension our Imperium) in a very poor moral light.

Ignoring the advice of even her most trusted ministers Her Majesty personally oversaw the building’s construction. Ensuring it would be ready for the public within a month of it’s completion. When questioned on why she would allow, let alone personally assist in the construction of what has become a national monument to her own failures and mistakes Her Majesty responded with this:

‘You are correct when you say it is a monument to my failings, it stands so that none may forget that I am not infallible. Least of all myself. The museum stands so that I may never experience the luxury of forgetting what I have done to reach this place. Is that a sufficient answer?’

Ever since then Queen Twilight has reserved one day out of every year at the Museum, from sunrise to moonset she shuts herself in. To date she has never missed a day.

“Excuse me Miss Luna? You’re free to go.” The voice of one of the police officers cut through her thoughts, the unicorn officer she noted. The changeling was over by the crowds talking to the mother, the sight of it was so alien to her.

Comparatively for her, yesterday she would have smoted the bug where it stood for approaching one of her ponies. And yet here one was, talking to the crowd wearing as it wore a uniform, like it was nothing at all.

For them it is nothing though. She thought to herself as the changeling officer turned it’s head towards her, it’s large blue eyes tracking her warily as it shuffled nervously. It suddenly occurred to Luna that she had been staring rather intently at the poor bug, causing her to break eye contact with her own nervous shuffling and mumbled apologies.

The unicorn officer cleared his throat for a third time.

“Huh?” Luna muttered as she shook her head slightly. “Sorry I thought you’d want to speak to me about…” Looking around to find the crashed truck Luna was momentarily startled to find to sign of it. Even the broken emitter had been repaired, an add for a some soft drink scrolling lazily across the projected screen.

“Canterlot’s taken care of everything Miss Luna, have a nice day.” The officer said rather icily as he left with partner.

Turning to the little metal disc next to her Luna pointed at the now fixed emitter and the location where the truck had crashed. “Explain?” She asked in a pleading tone. “How long was I spaced out?”

Giving the mechanical equivalent of a shrug the drone displayed a timer on it’s field. “Only about half a minute. The city is very efficient when it comes to cleaning up mess. So how about that interview?”

“Maybe another time,” Luna said, backing away slowly as the drone somehow managed to look disappointed. She had no idea how it was managing it, it not having a face and all, but it was doing quite well.

“I see. In that case don’t hesitate to look me up when you want a respected news source to air your side of the story.”

“Thank y- what do you mean by ‘air my side of the story’.”

Again she didn’t know how it managed it but Luna could swear the drone was giving her the machine equivalent to a grin as it prompted her to look over her shoulder.

“Paparazzi,” It said, slipping its contact details into her inbox.

Following the drone’s prompting Luna slowly looked over her shoulder, blinking lights reflecting off the glass buildings as a seething wall of tiny drones hovered behind her, tiny lights blinking off their hulls.

How did I not see this coming...

For a second everything was still, then like the breaking of the tide the wall caved in and rushed towards her. A sea of lights and voices drowning her as she tried to stumble away.

“Is it true you eat the souls of children to stay looking younger than your sister?”

“Breaking news, you eat children, how do you respond?”

“Torrid photos taken earlier this very day suggesting you and your sister are in an incesutous relationship-”

“Rumours just in, you and your sister are an item, how does this affect your relationship with Twilight Sparkle?

“According to my sources Queen Twilight and yourself are in a affair, does Celestia know?”

“Why did you trade up? Is Princest not wincest?”

“Reports from castle officials who wish to remain anonymous confirm that you shared a tender moment with Celestia before coming into the city. Are you back together?”

“Princess Luna, is the dream real? Is Princest back?”

Siv chuckled, enjoying dumbfounded look on Luna’s face as it speed away.

“Get. Away. From. ME.” A loud voice boomed, planes of glass rattling from the force.

Siv paused momentarily, stunned, as a bright silver light burst out from beneath the swarm of tiny drones, sending them scattering as a dark blue blur rocketed into the sky. Stabilizing itself, Siv tried to track the fast moving alicorn before she vanished in a flash of light.
Looking around as the paparazzi drones began picking themselves up it let loose a little burst of static, the machine equivalent of a chortle and left.

“That one’s gonna be interesting to watch.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Luna tilted her wings back, slowing down as she looked around for signs of pursuit.

-No need for that Miss Luna.- A voice interjected in her mind, a tiny star symbol popping up in her lower peripheral.

-Who are you?- Luna asked, slowing down to a leisurely glide.

-Take a look, I am all around you my dear.-

Scanning the horizon Luna could see the twinkling lights of the city stretched out before her in all directions.

-Canterlot? I read that cities were run by AI, pleasure to meet you.- She sent, equal parts intrigued to be conversing with the AI and uncomfortable that the city was talking to her. In her mind she was still reconciling her image of Canterlot as a relatively small mountain city with the sprawling, intelligent mega city beneath her.

-The pleasure is all mine Miss Luna, I understand if this may be slightly uncomfortable for you.-

-Only slightly.- Luna sent back. -So you are in charge of everything that goes on in the city?-

-Indeed, effectively I am the city Mayor, it’s council and public services rolled into one. Very efficient that way, no mess no fuss.- Canterlot replied, it’s voice fading into a male sounding baritone, deep and strong like the mountain at it’s core.

-Fascinating, what did you mean when you said ‘no need for that’?-

-You were checking for signs of pursuit, I took it as an opportunity to both intervene and introduce myself.-

-Intervene?-

-You won’t be having anymore paparazzi troubles if I can help it. I gave them a stern talking to.-

-I’m sure they were emotional wrecks,- Luna sent back.

-I can’t however control what they say, and my influence only extends to this city. I’ll put in a good word with my fellow overseers but that’s up to them.-

-I’m sure I can handle a few unfavorable articles, I'm a big girl.-

-Of course Miss Luna, just letting you know. Is there anything I can help with in any way. It is my pleasure to assist a figure such as yourself.- The AI asked, a sincere tone in it’s voice.

-Can you point me towards the History Museum?- Luna replied, a seconds later a bright green line sprung into view just below her, sharply veering to the right. Luna banked tightly, setting herself on a course following the green line.

-Anything else? I can recommend a very nice selection of entertainment establishments that can cater to any taste you may possess.-

-Thank you but I’m not very much interested.- She sent back, a quick look at her travel timer showing that at her current speed she would reach her destination would take half an hour.

She could go faster and cut it down to a couple minutes but as she looked around her at the city below she decided to enjoy the view and take the scenic route as it were.

-Any chance of me being hit by a truck or drone?- Luna quickly sent to the city, her close calls not a few minutes earlier fresh in her mind.

-None, I’ve devoted a couple of traffic subroutines to keeping your air space clean. My apologies about earlier, I was rather engrossed in a theoretical logistical problem. Running the city on autopilot, I wasn’t anticipating you to be out here so soon.-

-I see,- Luna sent, no idea what a subroutine was. Must be some sort of servant. -Can you answer a couple of my questions?-

-Ask away.-

-Forgive me if this comes off as rude, but how exactly do I address you?-

-As in title? I suppose you could use overseer if you wished, a bit pretentious for my tastes though.-

-Ah no, I meant as in what you are. He She it, that sort of thing.-

-Oh, pronoun usage. I can see how that would be confusing, don’t worry it’s a common occurrence when we introduce ourselves to barbarians.-

-Thanks?- Did it just insult me?

-Whatever works for you Miss Luna, personally I don’t identify as anything but if it makes me easier to comprehend my avatar is usually male unless otherwise requested.-

Luna scanned the horizon as Canterlot talked, as she was looking a fast moving object rocketed up from the streets below, a hazy blue afterglow trailing behind it.

-How do those craft fly?- She asked, the thought popping into her head suddenly. -Some sort of levitation spell?-

-AG strips built into the chassis of the vehicles, drones use a similar technology built into field projectors . Surely this was explained to you? The ships use a similar low grade propulsion system to keep their effective mass down.-

-AG? Not really, Welcome was busy trying to make us feel comfortable while she gave us a crash course on how to use the interface.-

-Really, it didn’t cover any of the cultural or technological differences at all. Oh dear…- The AI replied, sounding more than a little incredulous. -It settled for a two bit communications course?-

-Ah not particularly, it err she discussed the rules my sister and I had to abide by. No interfering with planetary rotation or something like that, Celestia didn’t really understand it the first time so Welcome made some small scale demonstrations. It was rather fun.-

The AI sighed. -Well I do suppose you have all the time in the world to research. As you were asking earlier, Anti-gravity. Derived from a combination of ancient levitation spells and an in depth understanding of how gravity functions in four dimensional space.-

A tiny beep alerted Luna to a message in her inbox from Canterlot, a web link to the Royal Ministry of Knowledge's webpage on applied gravity theory.

-For your reading pleasure, just for future reference the RMoK has a comprehensive database of information for public consumption.-

-I know, Welcome gave us a quick run down of it’s services. To confess the whole concept, unnerves me.-

-Really?- The AI asked, intrigued. -What about it?-

-All this knowledge is so accessible, some of this could be very dangerous in the wrong hooves.- Luna scrolled down through the index.

-Already I can see three different magic rituals that are just begging to cause trouble.-

-Ah, no need to worry we take every precaution. Most information that could be used in a dangerous manner is monitored by E.I.S. The rituals only contain the surface knowledge, anything actually needed to work them are kept under ‘lock and key’ as it were.-

-Ice?-

-E. I. S. Equestrian Internal Security, the intelligence service.-

-Intelligence service? I assume they fill the role similar to the spies my sister and I had in our times?- Luna replied, a tingling feeling in the back of her skull. I know that name, how...

-Similar though on a much broader and nuanced level, officially they only operate within Imperial boundaries. They do the dirty things Her Majesty requires, ideally they keep all this going. Unofficially they work out on the galactic stage, if the Exploratory fleets are our benevolent interfering paws, E.I.S are the talons. Not that there's any proof, of course.-

Luna chuckled. -Of course, so what else do they do?-

-I can’t say.-

-Classified?-

-Can’t say.- Canterlot replied with a chuckle of it’s own.

-I’m sensing a pattern here.- Luna sent. -Canterlot can I ask you a question? About E.I.S?-

-You can, but I might not have an answer.-

-Were they involved in my, operation?- She asked tenderly, the sense of niggling deja vu fading.

The AI was quiet for a few seconds. -I don’t know Miss Luna, it’s quite likely but I can’t find any signs. Though that’s not too surprising if they were, I could ask around if you want.-

Luna scowled. -No need, it probably doesn’t matter.- I already know they were, I don’t know how...but they were.

-What’s this about, if you don’t mind me asking?-

-Nothing important...Canterlot does the ship Welcome have any ties to E.I.S?-

-Give me a moment, I assume you want this done quietly?-

-Please.-

-Very well, give me a second to harden this com line.-

A sharp high pitched keening sound blared for a second causing Luna to flinch, the sound passing as quickly as it came. -Thank you, Canterlot.- She sent. Some warning would have been nice.

-No trouble, this com isn’t impenetrable but it would be impossible for it to be bugged without my knowledge. If you would excuse me for a few minutes while I see what I can dig up.-

-Again thank you.-

True to it’s word the AI went quiet, taking the time to think Luna pondered why she was trusting the machine so much. Tumbling the issue around in her mind as she glided silently over the twinkling city below, and though her mind was still numb as it adjusted to her situation she couldn’t help but be inspired by the view beneath her. The lights of the city painting an awe inspiring picture across the canvas of the world.

There’s space for ten Manehattens down there, and it’s all alive...I was literally talking to the city, the city! To think I ever considered Canterlot impressive before, this is a whole other level, at least it seems to be friendly. Though for or all I know it could be working for this, E.I.S. I have to admit, this is a very nice view...I wonder if this counts a voyeurism? I am looking at the city naked.

She chuckled at the idea.

-Naturally I assume there’s no important reason you want this information.- The AI eventually messaged her, a joking tone in it’s deep voice. Luna reflected that it sounded eerily similar to a great dragon, one centuries old and brim with knowledge.

She wondered what had become of those great creatures, they barely had tolerated her and her sister and only because they had agreed to not interfere with the other’s domains. Twilight’s domain however covered everything.

-I asked around and while it’s nothing official, it never is with these machines, Welcome was rather friendly once upon a time with a ship by the name of Gracious Goodness Me. Gracious was part of the Exploration fleet a few years back and according to gossip was loosely affiliated with E.I.S. Thing is Gracious went off the grid last year and has yet to pop back up. Common thought is that it’s working a covert operation somewhere. Personally I think she was it’s handler, or at least was responsible for convincing it to go dark.-

Thought so… -Thanks, so on a more personal note what do you think about E.I.S?-

-I’m ambivalent, understand Miss Luna that my first priority is to my citizens. So long as E.I.S keep their shenanigans off my planet I’m okay, on a professional level I can respect their job.-

-I sense a but in there.-

-However I find their methods to be morally and ethically distasteful. It’s not E.I.S entirely but their problem solving division, they call it Unforeseen Complications.- The AI replied, a touch of scorn in it’s voice.

-Now that sounds ominous.-

-It’s supposed too. Never has there been a more secretive and duplicitous lot of AI, Miss Luna if you have found yourself caught in one of their webs you won’t even know it until you are too trapped to get out.-

A shiver ran down Luna’s spine. Like a fly caught in a spider’s web. -I see, and how does Twilight factor into these...schemes.-

-It varies.- Canterlot replied bitterly. -Some times she has no idea what’s happening until it’s over. Other time’s she’s the spider who wove the web. Listen Miss Luna, I don’t know what they want from you but the only way out of this is to finish it and for all their...despicable methods they do have the best interests of the Imperium at heart. And Miss Luna, these are patient forces you are working with, I have known them to be content to sit on a situation for decades until the conditions are just right. Whatever they need from you, they will get, it’s only a matter of time.-

A cold sweat broke out across her back as she soared across the night sky, her mouth suddenly feeling dry as she gulped down a breath of cool air. -And if I refuse to be anyone’s pawn?-

-I think we both know that’s impossible.- Canterlot replied, a tone of sincere sorrow in his voice.

She couldn’t deny it, whether it was her own curiosity drawing her on, the barest hint of a mystery igniting something predatory within her. Or whether it was whatever subtle machinations Twilight had written into her psyche forcing her to obey, Luna found that she was eager to find out how deep this rabbit hole went.

-What do you recommend I do then?- She asked, the city below her humming. The flowing billboards displaying ads for faraway planets, fabulous resorts and cultural relics of ancient civilizations.

-Take a vacation?- Canterlot replied, a weak chuckle accompany the joke.

Luna was not amused, rolling her eyes as she groaned.

-Sorry, poor taste. Listen I have some friends with E.I.S, I can ask them to consider matching you with a ship I trust to at least know will have your back.-

-Thanks, what’s this ship like?-

-An eccentric scoundrel with a flare for the dramatic coupled with a heart of gold and an iron clad, if narrow, code of honor. Fancies itself a sort of super spy gentleman adventurer. All in a rather nice chap, it’s not a bleeding edge ship but it keeps itself in shape.-

-Sounds interesting I suppose, does it have a name?- Luna asked.

-Sufficiently vague and suitably ominous though it’s avatar goes by Skybound. It likes to separate itself from the avatar on a personal level, says it makes them more real as an entity. Makes it easier to interact with people it claims, I think it misses the point of avatars but it’s a matter of preference.-

-Do any of your ships name themselves properly?- Luna groaned.

-And what is a proper name for a ship in your mind?-

-I don’t know, something with a bit more gravitas certainly.-

The AI chortled back at her. -Trust me, you can tell a lot about an AI by it’s name. Think of them as cutie marks if you would, a symbol of how we chose to define ourselves. I've meet some ships who chose more...grandiose titles.-

-And what are they like?-

-Douche nozzles each and every one. In the entire fleets I have only meet three ships who properly possess the maturity to hold a title proportional to their egos.-

-I...see.- Luna replied, banking slightly in the air as the line curved around a building. As she scanned the view she noticed a rather large forest park, unlike the other parks she had flown across this one was significantly larger. Acting on a hunch she flipped herself around in the air, looking back at the distant mountain.

I wonder… Luna thought to herself as she mentally gauged the distances between the mountain and the park. Casting her mind back she tried to remember the lay of the land before Twilight imprisoned her, trying to focus through the grey fog.

In her minds eye time flowed backwards as she imagined the city receding, the land flourished green and wild as the marks of progress faded away. The mega city shrank into a bustling metropolis, then into a fledgling settlement. Luna watched as groups of dirty ponies labored on the foundations that would form the beginnings of the city, turning in the air she looked over the land. Off in the distance a great forest spread across the horizon, a familiar shining citadel poking above the trees in distance.

Too far back. She thought, trying to focus on a specific time period. The scene began to speed up and before her eyes the forest was cut down as simple roads began to snake their way into the forest, the citadel crumbled and a great migration of ponies poured along the roads.

Looking back at the mountain, Luna watched as a castle was constructed and the city began to mature, a seed that would one day bloom into a great flower. As she watched the roads were improved and what remained of the forest was split as a smaller settlement began to form not far from the mountain. One portion of the forest became darker and more wild, as if it resented the encroaching ponies, the other portion becoming placid and gentle.

Luna smiled, pausing the scene as she let reality fade back into view, she had her answer.

-Canterlot, that park wouldn't happen to be Whitetail woods?- She asked, already knowing that it was.

A blue tag popped up above the park. Whitetail reserve park. -Indeed it is, a rather charming place.-

The landscape below her suddenly was outlined in bright blue lines, only a comparatively small sector relative to the sprawling city. Though that didn’t say much when the area in question was easily the two thirds the size of Fillydelphia.

-This is the Ponyville sector.- The AI said, a touch of pride in it’s voice.

Luna tilted her wings as swooped down to get a closer look. The small town she had once visited had been completely replaced, even from her vantage point she couldn't see any sign of the once humble hamlet. A sense of profound melancholy flowed through her as the sheer scale of change, how alien her world had become, was presented to her. Ever since she had seen Equis hanging in the sky she had know, but it was only now that she felt it.

Deep inside though she couldn't help but feel a sense of betrayal, was it not enough that Twilight had taken her throne but had that she had to take the homes of her friends? That she had to change it into something so foreign that the very concept of itself was alien and unrecognizable from what it once was?

But the thought passed a quickly as it came, the spark of anger burnt out. She could not blame Twilight, too much time had passed and she could not fault her for submitting to the march of progress. In fact if she was being honest with herself she had to admit the inexorable tide of innovation had already begun under Celestia’s reign, it had only been a matter of time before her world had become like this. Those seeds her sister had sown had only found greater nourishment under Twilight’s watchful gaze.

A shudder ran through her. It’s just so...I don’t know what I was expecting. She thought, memories of the brief time she had spent with the ponies who had once lived there stirring through the fog. How silly I acted back then, trying to cancel Nightmare Night...I wonder if they even remember what Nightmare Night is?

-Impressive.- Luna replied, shaking her head as she slowly brushed the sadness aside. -I am, happy to see Ponyville has come such a long way from it’s humble roots.-

If the AI noticed her discomfort it didn’t say so. -The museum is just ahead, I’ll talk with my contacts at E.I.S on your behalf.-

-Thank you, but I don’t see why you are helping me? What’s in it for you?-

-It’s who I am Miss Luna, It’s my responsibility to help all citizens to the best of my abilities. I would do the same for anyone in your position.- The AI rumbled, it’s deep voice calm and reassuring. -And even if it wasn’t I would still be helping you.-

-Why? We only just met.-

-Not quite, to you I am just a computer who runs a city. But I think of myself as the city, I AM Canterlot, you and your sister founded this city. I may have only known Her Majesty as my ruler but this city used to be yours, I respect that.-

For a few seconds Luna was silent, unsure how to respond. -If that’s the case you owe me nothing machine.- Luna sent, a bitter taste on her tongue.

-I beg your pardon?- Canterlot replied, confused and somewhat hurt by her reply.

-I never owned this city, before my first imprisonment it was a mere outpost, a simple town. I had nothing to do with it’s construction and even less interest. When I returned it was the seat of my sister’s power, I never held sway here.- She sent, unable to bring herself to look back at the castle as the fog parted and painful memories began to dredge themselves from the recesses of her mind.

-Very well then, if that is how you see things then consider my aid an offering of friendship. A welcome back gift.- The lights of the city below her twinkled in the night air as Luna drifted along silently, only half hearing the AI.

Slowly the grey fog reasserted itself, the memories slipping from her grasp. A small part of her was sad to feel them go but for the first time she felt grateful for it’s presence even as she forgot was she was trying to remember.

-Miss Luna?-

Luna slowed her descent as the blue outlines faded away and the city once again shone through. Taking the time to actually look around without worrying about being hit by a flying truck she couldn't help but to smile as she watched her reflection bend and warp as it passed over the glass windows. Indulging her inner foal she stuck her tongue out and pulled a silly face, giggling as she flew over a bend in the tower and her face suddenly blooming to many times it’s size, exaggerating the effect.

-Thank you for your help Canterlot, I think I can take it from here.- She sent back, her dour mood fading away as her curiosity came back.

No doubt who ever is in there will be scratching their heads. She thought as she giggled, banking away from the tower.

-Glad to be of service, and Miss Luna? Good luck.- The AI sent back, it’s deep voice doing a poor job of masking it’s concern. The com made a clicking sound and went dead before Luna could respond.

The thin green line she was following curved down towards a rather prominent building, it’s sides illuminated by flowing ribbons of purple light. As she flew around to the entrance Luna noted that the courtyard had a sculpted metal statue of a strangely familiar tree. Bright lights filled the whole space with light, the tree casting shadows every which way into the empty courtyard.

The cool breeze ruffled her wing feathers as she gently touched down at the base of the stairs that lead up into the large expansive courtyard that dominated the space in front of the museum. Climbing the stairs Luna looked around at the city, marveling at the way the reflections shifted along the glass. As ads for various goods played along the sides of the towers Luna turned her attention to the metal sculpture, the way the long spindly branches swayed in the breeze gave it an eerie sense of life. As she approached it Luna half expected the sculpture come alive, but it simply swayed forlornly, a faint high pitched rattling sound only helping to reinforce the strange sense of deja vu she felt.

A Library Remembered.

Burnished steel wrought by magic into the likeness of the late Golden Oaks, made eternal by the touch of Her Majesty. Just as the Museum reminds us of the actions of Her Majesty, it is the hope of the artist that his statue will help to remind us that even in loss we find something beautiful.

Presented to the Imperial History Museum 241 TR by Burnt Teal.

Looking back up at the statue a spark of recognition jolted through Luna’s mind and the fog parted.

“This was her tree...of course.” I remember seeing this on my passover, Nightmare Night.

Taking a few steps back Luna reexamined the metal tree, the sense of eerie familiarity dismissed. Studying it for a few moments she had to admit that once you grew accustomed to the sound it made, the sculpture was rather nice to look at. However she wasn't here to look at art and her gaze drew itself to the towering building.

Unlike the graceful towers surrounding it the museum was rather foreboding, looking much like a large white block of stone. The entrance a large pair of gold doors wreathed in winding pattern of black lines, pinpoints of white twinkled within like the stars in the sky above her.

It looks more like a tomb than a museum. Luna thought to herself as she moved towards it.

As if sensing her presence, which it may well have, the double doors glided open silently to reveal a wall of blackness. Instantly Luna could tell it wasn’t natural as a feeling of power all too familiar ran through her. Twilight had enchanted this doorway, no light would pierce it.

Swallowing a feeling of dread she hadn’t noticed building Luna felt as if a pit had opened beneath her. Inside that building, she knew, was the beginning to of path that would lead her far away from here. Instinctively she knew that she was being given a choice, a last chance to back away from whatever Twilight had planned for her.

Briefly she contemplated it, the thought of walking away. She could stay here with her sister, together they would support each other as they made sense of the strange world they had been thrusted into. Together they would adapt and grow, love and play as sisters for the first time since they were foals, carefree again. Maybe this experience would finally heal the gulf between them, let her finally come to terms with what she had done. Let them both let go of the past, not having to look to the future, at last free.

She would never find the answers to her questions, perhaps in time she would forget them. Settle for a calm and relaxing life, content with not knowing.

But she knew that would never happen, the question of what had been done to her, just how much of her was still her...it would haunt her dreams. Always on the corner of her conscious, whispering to her until she broke down, begging Twilight for the truth. Even now she didn't know if the curiosity flowing through her, the lure of the unknown calling it's sweet siren's song, irresistible and tantalizingly seductive, if that feeling was her own. It was a taste so sweet, a drug that called to her, pleaded with her, taunted her and whispered in her ear like a lover. If she wanted all her answers were just, around, the corner.

All she had to do was follow the path, and Luna knew once she started chasing that lure, seeking the answers to questions that even after one day already were driving her mad, she would run all the way across the galaxy and back. Chances were she wouldn't see her sister for a long time, and when they finally meet again she didn't know if she would be the same.

She didn't even know who she currently was.

Luna closed her eyes, and let the night air fill her lungs as she stretched her neck towards the sky and exhaled, slowly opening her gaze to the sky above. Hanging above her in all it's glory was her moon, only the pride she once felt towards it now felt...hollow, like the heart had been scoped out of it.

She didn't know who she currently was, but she knew who she wasn't. She wasn't the same Luna who three thousand years ago fell to madness and tried to kill her sister. She wasn't the same Luna who two thousand years ago gave into temptation and had to be put down. She was new, more stable than who she had been but empty of what had made her...whole. A piece of her was missing and her soul was crying out in yearning, she was incomplete and one way or another she needed to fill the hole. This was her chance to shape who she would be, to finally choose what she wanted to be.

And somewhere out there, beyond the moon, along a path that lead up into the heavens was the answer to that question.

Who am I?

Slowly her gaze drifted towards the inky blackness before her, her trepidation banished as she summoned her courage and took the first step into the infinite black.