• Published 29th Jul 2014
  • 795 Views, 30 Comments

To Be Her Rider's Legs - Arya Stark



Bran Stark is a cripple, doomed to never walk or run again. But with a special pony, he may just get that chance again...

  • ...
4
 30
 795

To Be Her Rider's Legs

The air was rich with scents of the earth and saturated in the density of the vegetation all around. Birds chirp at each other, singing about their morning catches, greeting the sun with their songs.

“Yipee! Yeah! Go faster!”

The forest serenity was interrupted with a large pony breaking through the bracken, flanks heaving as she ran, hooves flying.

Littlecloud felt the small human atop her back shift his weight and she dug her hooves in the ground to comply, swaying to the right with him. A tap on her mane followed by a clucking sound, and she lunged to a trot, eliciting a cry of joy from the small being astride her back.

Littlecloud smiled to herself, carrying her rider with pride.

She was no ordinary pony, and nor was her rider.

Barely past foal-hood, her rider was young and full of boundless energy as they had been out exercising now for several hours. Littlecloud reflected this energy, running through the trees, trusting the hands that guided her, becoming one with her guide. Though Littlecloud had no cutie mark to bare, the young mare knew that she was still special, because unlike her kin and friends back in Equestria, she was chosen, she was taken, and she was the one to be destined to serve.

Unlike the others, she had a rider.

She was special pony too, standing out from the rest of those saddle laden ponies and horses, because unlike them, she was Bran Stark’s legs.

Her rider cued her into a canter, and lost in thought, Littlecloud allowed herself to comply without actually seeing where she was going, trusting Bran blindly, and more importantly, trusting him with all her heart.

Trotting through the trees, Littlecloud felt her mind wander from the memories.

~~*~~

“A human!”

“Human?!”

“Celestia help us!”

The young filly didn’t understand the chaos that ensued around her, hooves flying around the house in an anxious flurry of activity. Her mother had haphazardly shoved her beneath the table before racing out to find her mate, a stallion of the Royal Guard. Littlecloud could hear the whinnies and alarm outside the quaint little house, the screams and chaos perking her curiosity more than fear.

“Stay down!” Her mother had commanded severely before leaving, the fear-scent roiling off her pelt. And Littlecloud had done just that…until she heard the word ‘human’ being screeched.

A stiff knobble-kneed filly, the white pony couldn’t help it as she made her way to the door, heart pounding louder than the hooves outside. She wanted to see what the commotion was about, what there was to fear. She had only heard rumors about the rear standing two-hooves, and she figured seeing the thing for herself was the only accurate way to formulate a proper image in her mind.
So, cracking the door open and taking a brave step out, Littlecloud did just that.

~~*~~

“I love you, Merri.”

Littlecloud’s ear twitched as the breath tickled her ear, and she took the moment to remember Merri had been the name her rider appointed her.

His words heartened her, and to add to her emotions, the young Bran wrapped his furless arms around her neck, making her heart swell in her chest.

Nickering softly, Littlecloud craned her neck around to view her rider.

His short-muzzled face was young and freckled, his mop of hair falling over his eyes as he beamed at Littlecloud. His short, sharp nose was always amusing to Littlecloud as she reached back to gently nip the nose affectionately, provoking a squeal of delight. A hand was laid on her velvety muzzle, and Littlecloud closed her eyes in bliss, her mind wandering briefly again, remembering the first time those gentle hands had touched her.

~~*~~

Hands were cruel things, Littlecloud decided. At first, they had been an item of fascination for her, oddly elegant with the five extending fingers on each, making them much more capable of things than her hooves, and she envied the opposable thumbs. They could grasp things easier, manipulate items, carry things, and use it to their advantage. But Littlecloud soon learned that she would rather admire the hands from a distance, for she hated when they were anywhere near her.

Hands dragged her around, shoving her into her new home, – a stall, the human’s called it. Hands shoved things into her face, tasting of sharp metal, hands yanked her bridle around impatiently, hands hit her across the flank when she was too slow to learn what they were trying to direct, usually followed by sharp, biting words.

Hands, she learned were to be respected and feared.

So when the small hands touched her for the first time, she hated it.

Oh, you are perfect!”

It had been another normal morning, and Littlecloud had roused herself to the voice, peering over the wall of her stall to see who had spoken. She was surprised to see it was not one of her normal trainers, though she recognized the large stable boy, something called a Hodor. In the man’s arms was what caught her attention, though.

It was a child hauled in the arms of the burly man who mucked out her stable, eye bright as she peered at him, ears erect in curiosity. A toothy grin appeared on the youngling’s face, and the foal-aged boy reached out a hand. Immediately Littlecloud ducked her head, shying away.

“Hodor,” the Hodor tsked, reaching his own hands out to catch the leather straps around her face, pulling, not unkindly, her head back towards them. Littlecloud had long ago learned not to resist, but a ripple of fear traveled down her spine, making her shift her weight in anxiety.

“Easy,” the boy crooned at her with a soft voice, and moving his hands forward, rested it upon her nose.

Littlecloud expected a slap, a blow, something, but instead, the boy stoked her softly, speaking in soft, encouraging tones. It was a high, rich sound, and entranced between the stroking and voice, Littlecloud hardly noticed a spare stable man enter, moving around her, strapping the heavy saddle contraption upon her back. Her eyes were glued to the boy’s as he stroked her, kind eyes meeting hers. His touch was soft, warm, gentle, and Littlecloud found herself leaning into it, nickering softly. Blunt teeth were revealed as the boy quirked a smile.

“Good girl. Good Merri.”

It wasn’t until he was strapped upon her back, guiding her around the stable yard that Littlecloud realized his legs didn’t work, and that hers were to replace his.

~~*~~

Racing, galloping, rearing, leaping – they were one, her legs working furiously to comply her rider’s command, doing what he no longer could. Mane streaming, she let her legs be his as she raced through the valleys, the forest, the streams – wherever her Bran fancied. They had come a long way since their first ride; a halting, confusing disaster. But now, they flowed as one, responding to each other’s cues effortlessly. Together, they learned new tricks, learning to shift their weight together, leaning what subtle cues meant – one cluck for a trot, two for a run, and a short yip for a sprint.

Littlecloud started to anticipate her rider’s moves, twisting through the paths before he told her to, and sometimes defying his cues to take him new places she had discovered while out grazing. Bran’s joy was hers, and hers was his, their unity flowing between them with fiery passion.

Equestria was but a memory, and given the choice to return, Littlecloud would turn it down. Bran was home now, she belonged here now, with her rider, with her Bran.

Because she was Littlecloud, and she was her rider’s legs.

She hoped it would stay that way forever.

Author's Note:

Hey, guys! Hope you enjoyed my first short, COMPLETE scribbling’s, To Be Her Rider’s Legs. It was very fun writing, and I do so sincerely hope you enjoyed reading!
I need a cast of hooves; who here would be interested in seeing more adventures between Littlecloud and Bran? I was thinking there was potential of making it a short series of episodes, twinning their separate stories together into one…do you?
Tell me what you think!
Yours truly,
~Arya Stark of Winterfell

Comments ( 26 )

That was a very good story. :twilightsmile:

*I need a cast of hooves; who here would be interested in seeing more adventures between Littlecloud and Bran? I was thinking there was potential of making it a short series of episodes*

This would be a very good I idea. I think in one of the episodes you she make it where Merri get her voice and talks. I think that would be a heart filled story.

4770175 Thanks for the read!
Yeah, I think it could be an emotional uplifter (or vise versa) too, little 'episodes' here and there....

4770546 keep up the great work. I cant wait for the next one:twilightsmile:

4775191 Right, right. Ha.

An interesting and entertaining story I must say. This was short and sweet, though going into a little more explanation would have helped the readers understand how Littlecloud had gotten to Earth. Doing that would give depth for the story and add a little more words giving a little more accomplishment to your writing ability. Also I was slightly confused with Littlecloud's mother and humans, I thought that she was in the human world not the other way around. And why are they afraid of humans. Try to explain this and not just go into random scene transitions that seem to be trying to explain Littlecloud's life.

Plus, try to give a little more backstory for Bran. Explaining him for the readers that read it for the summery and plot, not for the crossover. Give him the backstory from facts of the show/book crossover, giving hints to what the crossover is with. Because I'm just going off your summery and blog posts. And having episodic shorts would be a good idea, doing that would give recognition for this story and if you ever do that then give a link in the summery of the next story to let people read this one too and not have to go to check out your user page. If you wold like any help with future stories or anything else just send me a PM.

Till the next one

-R

4815604 Wow, your review was GREAT, thanks! I will definitely take into consideration what you said. I definitely could have used more background bits, I was a bit presumptuous, assuming the audience would know Bran Stark and his fall from Game of Thones. >.<
Anyways, thanks for reading it over, I will probably revise it soon, and then, given time, add another 'episode' or something - do you think this is a good idea? Tell me what you think.

Thanks for the review, feel free to read my others!!

~AS

4816350

Doing episodes would be a great idea, using this story as a prologue to anymore "episodes". I think it would give this one more recognition too. And if you link this story in the description of the new story it'll give people an easier chance to see this one.

I think you've got a great start to a mini-series here, all you have to do is write it. I'd be happy to give you some help with it.

Till the next one

- R

4819388 YES, PLEASE HELP ME!!!

What would you like to see happen, in the next 'episode'?

4819401

Okay, I'll be honest I haven't read nor watched the show. Though I am thinking of reading it sometime, it was recommended to me awhile ago. But I do have to do something incase any of this conversation is going to contain spoilers (which it most likely will).

4819479 Well...wait, what?
So, no spoilers for you?

4819492

Sorry I'm doing two things at once right now so I'll get to it when I can (PMing you)

4819551
:facehoof: I'll PM you as soon as I can, if not earlier.

Okey day

4819562 Fine by me, look forward to hearing from you.

4819601
Yup, btw where you trying to say Okie Dokie!

4819612 Nope. My version of okey doeky is 'Okey day.' :p

4849781 Wow, that is the best comment I have received yet! Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it. But tell me - to continue it as 'episodes' or not?

Also, LOVED C.S. Lewis' The Horse and His Boy! Read it years ago...

4849811 Hmm.....I may have to make up some stories between now and before Bran leaves, and then while he is on the run, I was thinking of starting 'Season Two; His Legs Left Behind', a series of Little Cloud's adventures as she tries to go after Bran and find him......

Yay for a Game of Thrones crossover. I'm genuinely surprised there aren't more considering how popular it is. I like the idea that his horse is an equestrian pony. Is better than other fics I've read, *cough* *hack* Links horse (zelda) *cough*, pardon me.

5005739 Lol poor Zelda, we can't all be great.

Glad ya liked it :twilightsmile:

Sorry for the really late comment (had to run an errand) but this story has so much feels. It was wonderful seeing the connection between your OC and her rider and how she felt about him throughout the story.

It's a pity you've been inactive for about 2 years. Not only would I like to see more, I'm kinda curious about the backstory-for starters, why do any humans in westros think that risking the wrath of Equestria is a remotely good idea? It's not even the magic of unicorns or earth pony superstrength, or even the superweapons or the resident tamed Greater Daemon of Tzeentch...no, it's not even the alicorns! What makes it a horrible, horrible idea is the ludicrous air superiority courtesy of pegasi and their insane levels of weather control.


So...what's with these humans making a raid on an equestrian town? What am I, the reader, missing about the world you've created? Is something crippling this instance of Equestria? Did the military implications of Equestria's casual use of magic simply never occur to you?

Login or register to comment