• Published 30th Jul 2014
  • 2,620 Views, 110 Comments

The Misfits - Cyber System



A handicapped unicorn, a carnivorous earth pony, a digging pegasus with acrophobia, and a pony-changeling hybrid walk into Ponyville. Things can't go wrong, right? Right?

  • ...
6
 110
 2,620

Chapter 19: A new face

Fang stirred, he groaned and he mumbled, then his eyes shot open.

"Argh!" he said to himself. He couldn't sleep, he was filled with so much energy and excitement he wanted to leave. In two days The Misfits and Twilight Sparkle will be boarding a ship to sail off to Predator Island, where Fang was going to see his tribe for the first time in years. Now it was past midnight and he could barely keep his eyes closed.

Fang tried to sleep again, until his stomach made his eyes open. "Fine, you win," he mumbled, getting out of his bed and out of the house. He headed towards a spot of the Everfree Forest where Fluttershy told him he could hunt when he needed to, then he positioned himself on a rock, closed his eyes, then was perfectly still.

'Why can I close my eyes to detect life, but not to sleep?' he thought. 'I don't understand these things, maybe I could ask Cyber. Then again, maybe not... he'll probably just go on in a long lecture about how the brain processes thoughts and sleep compared to instincts or something scientific like- wait, what's that?' Fang saw a large figure appear in front of him, he couldn't make out the shape of the life aura but whatever it was, it was alive... barely, and very thin too, but prey was prey. Fang opened his eyes for a brief moment to see what it was. The creature was covered in mud and leaves, probably to protect itself from danger, but obviously it never met any predators.

The creature made some double takes before snacking on some nearby berries, this was his chance to go in for the kill, he slowly stood up from his hiding spot, approached the creature, opened his mouth to attack, he can practically taste the blood now, he was inches away from the creature, and then...

...his stomach growled.

The creature turned around saw him and his open trap mouth, gasped, then ran. The chase was on, Fang darted towards his prey, having it in his sight. The creature tried using the forest to its advantage, but Fang managed to keep up just as easily. As Fang ran after the creature he noticed something erratic about its movements, as if it had been injured, but this was only an advantage to predators, however the creature moved remarkably fast. Until it looked back and not noticed where it was going, then tripped over a root and got its leg caught.

As the creature tried to free itself, Fang pounced onto the creature's chest, growling. Fang could see the look of terror in the creature's eyes, but all prey had that. Fang then opened his mouth again to take it down, when Fang was just about to attack, the creature thrust its upper appendages at Fang, not as a sign of attack, or defense, but as a way to say "stop!"

"P-p-p-please! D-d-d-don't hurt-t-t-t m-m-m-me!" it shouted in a terrified, female voice, making Fang stop.

"You... you can talk?" asked Fang, the creature nodded.

"Yes! I can! And I'm not a monster, all I'm trying to do is find a h- a home!"

Fang stepped off the creature. "Why are you trying to find a home?"

"Nopony wants me, they think I'm a monster! But I'm not! Honest!"

"Then what are you?"

"Umm... a satyr..." she mumbled.

"What?"

"I'm a satyr."

Fang raised an eyebrow in confusion. "What the heck is a satyr?"

"I would... rather not say..."

Fang shrugged. "And why would other ponies think you're a monster? Other than the fact that you're covered in mud."

"I don't know, but the moment ponies saw me, they ran away in fear, but I didn't know they would send some pony to attack me."

"Oh, right, that..." Fang said sheepishly. "Look I thought you were a creature of the forest, I didn't mean to attack you, I was just hunting."

"H-hunting?"

"Yeah, you see, I'm not really one who fits in either, because I'm clearly not a pegasus, earth pony or unicorn, I'm a predator."

"P-p-p-predator?" she seemed scared by the word.

"Yeah, but I won't hurt you... anymore at least."

"Not like I could go anywhere, I'm not a survivor, I can't live on my own, I had my legs broken more times than I can count and even now they can't take anymore, I have so many wounds I might look like a bloody mess, maybe I'll just wait for the mud to infect them and kill me that way."

"Not likely, mud actually makes for a good bandage, just remove any insects or plants and apply as a pulpy mixture and you could get to town."

That got the satyr's attention. "How do you know that?"

"Predators are natural born survivors, we started on a deserted island after all."

"That's nice, now once I get my foot free, I'll just leave."

"Hold on, you said that you want to be just liked in society, right?"

"Well... I... I don't know... but it would be nice to not be called a monster."

"How about you join me?"

"What?"

Fang nodded. "Yep, I'm a part of a group known as 'The Misfits' we are ponies who don't fit in but we just want to be accepted, just look at me, I'm a meat eating pony accused of being a cannibal with a tribe in the middle of a famine."

"A... famine?" the satyr asked, Fang nodded.

"Yeah, we can't eat plants and we've pretty much eaten all the animals on the island, I tried to tell somepony but nopony would listen, except Cyber System, he's the leader of The Misfits, he doesn't look at the surface of ponies. He saw past my ferocious teeth and saw a good friend inside, and I'm sure he'll do the same for you, we just need to take you over there and-"

"No!" the satyr shouted.

"Why, what's wrong? Your foot?"

The satyr shook her head. "No, it's not that, what if he sees me the same as all the other ponies, what if he's really looking to take me away? How do I know if I can trust you? Please, if I'm going to meet him, bring him over here."

"I see, you're scared, no problem, I can do that, just please wash up if you're going to meet him, he has to see what you look like."

"...Alright..." the satyr hesitated.

"See you here later!" Fang said as he started running off, but then stopped and turned around to free the satyr of the root using his teeth. "I almost forgot, I'm Fang, what's your name?"

The satyr stood up as she spoke, standing noticeably taller than Fang. "My name... is Pixel Berry."


"Fang, can this wait until later?" complained Dusty as he and the other misfits followed Fang.

"If Fang says it's important, then it's important."

"I have no problem seeing something cool, but did we have to do it so early?" said Mixy, yawning.

"This better be good, I get cranky if I don't get sleep," said Eclipse.

"It is, trust me!" Fang said as he slowed down upon reaching the Everfree forest.

"Why are we at the Everfree Forest?" asked Cyber.

"You'll see, come on!" Fang replied.

"If this is the Castle of the two sisters, then I saw it already," said Moonlight.

"Wait, castle of the what?"

"Nevermind."

They finally stopped as they reached an area, where Fang closed his eyes and looked around.

"Pixel! Come on out! I know your there! I can sense life!" Fang called out, then after a few minutes of waiting a figure emerged from the bushes, a tall white figure covered in cuts, scrapes, and wounds with long, pastel pink with blue streaks hair and an assortment of leaves and plants that wrapped around her chest and waist like clothing. And these weren't all what surprised the misfits, what surprised them the most was the two wings on her back, and she had the lower body of a pony, and upper body with limbs exactly like Cyber's arms, but thinner, smaller, and biological, she kept most of her face hidden by her hair.

"This is Pixel Berry," Fang introduced, "and she is a satyr."

Pixel did nothing, she just stared at The Misfits, wondering what she should do, her legs screamed for her to run, but her mind told her to stay. The silence was broken by Cyber.

"Um... hi, I'm Cyber System, and these are The Misfits," Cyber said as each of The Misfits introduced themselves.

"I'm Dusty."

"I'm Solar Eclipse."

"I'm Moonlight Shadow."

"I'm Mixy."

"And I'm Clockwork."

"I assume you already know Fang," Cyber continued, Pixel nodded. "I don't really know much about satyrs. Clockwork, any details?"

"Satyrs are creatures that are half human, half goat, they are known to be drunken party animals that spend their time drinking and playing jokes. There are none seen in Equestria," Clockwork said, which seemed to have hurt Pixel's feelings and was about to cry. "Or at least that's what's programmed in me, it could be false! Which I'm sure it is, seeing how you are more pony than goat, and you don't show the slightest trace of alcoholism," Clockwork said desperately trying to apologize.

"Sorry about that," Cyber said. "You know how most ponies can be, they think one slightly alcoholic drink turns you into a drunken idiot, I'm sure you aren't a drunken party animal."

Pixel finally spoke up. "No, I don't care about that," she sniffled. "You said there are none in Equestria... that means... there aren't any left but me. I'm all alone." Pixel then started to cry into her hands.

The Misfits felt their sympathies, even Moonlight.

"Aw, that's just sad," said Mixy.

"I know what it's like to be alone," added Moonlight.

"Cyber, are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Dusty said.

Cyber nodded. "I think we all are."

Pixel continued to cry until Cyber placed a hand on her shoulder, making her look up, her face wet with tears.

"Pixel Berry," Cyber began, "I'm not even going to do the oath this time."

"Aww, I like doing the oath," Dusty complained before Mixy shushed him.

"Anyway," Cyber continued. "You seem to be in desperate need of a family, and though I cannot guarantee you a family of satyrs, I can give you the next best thing."

Pixel sniffled. "What?"

"Friends," Cyber answered. "Pixel Berry, would you like to travel Equestria to show that even though you are different, you should not be feared. In other words: would you like to be a misfit?"

Pixel stared at him for a long time before wrapping her arms around him in a hug, and though she was still crying, she nodded.

"Shh, shh, it's ok, you're with friends now."

Shortly the hug was then joined by the other misfits, Fang, Dusty, Mixy, Eclipse, Moonlight, Clockwork... Pinkie.

"Hugs are always nice, huh?" Pinkie asked, much to everypony's surprised.

"Gah!" everypony screamed as Pixel ran and hid behind a tree, clutching her chest and breathing heavily like she was having a heart attack.

"Pinkie, what did I say about surprising me!?" said Cyber.

"You said 'Pinkie, if you surprise me like that more than four times a day, I will have a heart attack!' I only surprised you twice today."

"You scared away Pixel!" said Dusty.

"No I didn't, she's right here! Ooh, why do you have arms? Are you smart like Cyber too? Can I have arms like that? I bet I can make six times as much cake with arms! What are you?" Pinkie bombarded Pixel with questions as the satyr backed away. "Oh, you're a satyr? What's a satyr?" Pinkie asked after reading the previous narration, which surprised and confused The Misfits before Cyber grabbed her and closed her muzzle.

"Pinkie, if you're going to ask her questions, please say them slowly and separately, she is incredibly shy and needs to take things slow, okay?" Pinkie nodded before Cyber let her go, then she returned to Pixel.

"Wwwwwhhhhhyyyyyyy. Dooooooo. Yoooouuu. Haaaave. Wwwiiinngsss?" Pinkie asked quite literally slowly, making Cyber facepalm.

"Look, Pinkie, just ask her one question at a time, got it?"

"Got it!" Pinkie said, turning back to Pixel. "Do you want some cake? You really look like you could use some cake... and a doctor!" Pixel hesitated before nodding, then Pinkie dashed off.

"Don't worry about her," Cyber said. "Pinkie can be a bit... random."

"Is she always so... close?" asked Pixel.

"Sometimes," said Mixy. "But once you get to know her, she's the most friendly and funny pony you've met."

"I don't know... what about the other ponies? What will they think?" Pixel asked.

"Only one way to find out, you need to go for yourself," Cyber said, making Pixel wince.

"N-n-n-no!"

"Oh right, you're shy... how about this, I'll introduce you to a few ponies that will appreciate you for who you are, then you'll see there's nothing to be scared of."

Pixel hesitated again before nodding.

"Got it, guys, I'll be right back, if Pinkie returns, keep her from getting too close."

Dusty and Fang nodded in understanding as Cyber left into Ponyville.


"Cyber, is this necessary?" asked Twilight as she and Cyber trotted to the Everfree Forest, with Lyra, who was chained up and muzzled.

"Trust me, you'll thank me later, sorry again, Lyra," Cyber said as Lyra glared at him, expecting an explanation.

Later the three reached inside the forest, where they found The Misfits.

"Where's Pixel?" asked Cyber.

"She heard the chains and hid in those bushes," Fang replied, pointing to some bushes.

"Who's Pixel?" asked Twilight.

"You'll see, come on out, Pixel, I have some friends I want you to meet."

Twilight and Lyra looked confused at the bushes as Pixel poked her head out. The very sight of the satyr made Lyra's eyes double in size before she started bouncing around and very excited and muffles shouting emerged from her muzzle. Twilight just looked at Pixel in amazement.

"Are you a human?" asked Twilight, Pixel shook her head.

"Actually she's a satyr," said Dusty as Lyra began to calm down.

"Sorry again, Lyra," said Cyber, taking off Lyra's restraints.

"It's alright, Bon-Bon would have done the same," Lyra replied. "It's just... wow! An actual human!"

"Satyr," corrected Fang.

"Wha-?" Lyra asked, confused as Pixel showed the rest of herself from the bushes. "Oh," she said, half-disappointed.

"An actual satyr," Twilight said, dumbfounded and amazed. "I thought I would never see the day."

"You aren't... scared of me?" asked Pixel.

"Why would I be scared of you?" said Lyra. "You are awesome, I've always wanted to see a human, but a satyr is close enough."

"But what about the other ponies?"

"Everypony in Ponyville respects things that are different, how else would The Misfits fit in so well?" said Twilight.

"You sure?" asked Pixel.

Twilight nodded. "I'm sure, Pixel, you have nothing to be afraid of."

Pixel began to cry of happiness. "Nopony's ever treated me this way."

"And all you have to do is believe in yourself and you will continue to be treated with this much kindness."

"So, Pixel Berry," said Cyber. "Would you like to live with The Misfits?"

Pixel answered with hardly any hesitation. "Yes. But could we wait until tonight to go? I'm kinda nervous."

Cyber chuckled. "Whatever you want, Pixel."

Author's Note:

Pixel Berry is property of Pixel Berry