• Published 30th Jul 2014
  • 2,620 Views, 110 Comments

The Misfits - Cyber System



A handicapped unicorn, a carnivorous earth pony, a digging pegasus with acrophobia, and a pony-changeling hybrid walk into Ponyville. Things can't go wrong, right? Right?

  • ...
6
 110
 2,620

Chapter 17: Enter, Clockwork

Xanthos called a meeting in the center of the island with exciting news, and it was clear by the chief's expression.

"My fellow predators," he announced. "Princess Celestia has given me news, the boat is nearly complete. In just a few days, not only will Fang, the new hero of the predators, and his family return, but also our days of hunger shall come to an end as the famine that has struck us for years shall be over at last!"

Loud could not begin to describe the level of cheering that was unleashed by all the predators at the news of the famine ending. Xanthos couldn't even get them to stop no matter what he did, he had to wait until the excitement died out just to continue his message. "Now, furthermore, a boat will arrive with food, but we will need a regular supply, so those who wish to live on the mainland have permission to. I am just as excited as all of you, once the boat arrives, we shall feast with Fang as an honorable guest! That will be all for now." the predators scattered and were already talking about what things will be like once the boats arrive and the famine ends.

Xanthos then walked to the bay where he was greeted by Trident, who looked concerned. "This will be a big change," said the hippocampus king, "having predators on the mainland, next thing you know hippocampi will be sleeping with earth ponies."

"Perhaps," replied Xanthos, "but it is a change for the better, my friend. Aren't you excited to see Fang return after all this time?"

"I know Marine is, I can't tell you how many times I had to stop her from swimming out and trying to find Fang herself despite hearing that he will be coming in just a few days."

Xanthos chuckled. "That princess has built a very strong relationship with him."

Trident nodded, remembering all the games the two would play together back when they were young. "Quite right, Marine and Fang have done so many things together even as foals. I am mildly surprised that they aren't in love yet."

Xanthos chuckled again. "And they say you have no sense of humor, Trident, though that may very well be possible."

"And none of our concern," assured Trident.

"Not even if you found your own daughter loving a land dweller?"

"Marine is a grown hippocampus mare, if she decides to love a land dweller, I trust her."

"I marvel at your leadership, Trident."

"As do I, old friend," Trident said as Lockjaw approached Xanthos from behind.

"Chief, you have another message from Celestia," he said.

"Thank you, Lock, I shall be on my way, Trident."

Trident nodded before he and his friend left to their separate ways.


"Aaah! I'm not a barbecue!" Fang woke up from a crazy dream in a panic, then calmed down as he got up. 'Pinkie, what do you put in those cakes?' he wondered as he trotted outside to be greeted by Eclipse and Dusty, both with similar expressions. "So, what did you two dream about?" asked Fang.

"Breezie coming back from the dead as a zombie and getting really close to me," answered Eclipse.

"Equestria being turned inside-out and we all lived as mole-ponies," said Dusty. "What about you?"

"A piece of steak turned me into a barbecue and tried to grill itself on me," said Fang.

"What does that party pony put in those cakes?" asked Eclipse.

"Don't know, don't want to," said Dusty as they trotted downstairs. "Those cakes are too good to be tainted."

"Yeah, gotta hand it to you, there," replied Fang, thinking about the meat-flavored cake made his mouth water before they noticed Cyber and Mixy in the kitchen making breakfast with a big smile on their faces.

"What's got you two I such a good mood?" asked Dusty. "Did you make it all night without having a dream made from Pinkie's cake?"

"Even better!" Cyber said. "After Mixy admitted her secret to me, she's been really helpful, even helping me a little with Clockwork. I am quite literally *this* close to completing him and he should be up and running by tomorrow morning!"

"So, you told him?" asked Fang, looking at Mixy, who nodded.

"Yep! And I feel much better, I don't know why I didn't take your advice before."

"You look much better, too," said Eclipse.

"Hey, where's Moonlight?" asked Fang.

"Over here," they turned around to see the darkness controlling pony right behind them.

"You really have a way with blending in, we should compete sometime in camouflage," said Fang, sitting down at the table with the other misfits as Cyber and Mixy brought in several plates of eggs.

Moonlight shrugged. "It's what I do," she said before joining her friends as they all started eating.

"So, what's the plan for today, Cyber? Gonna hang out with Lyra again?" said Eclipse.

"No, not really, I was thinking along the lines of working on Clockwork."

"I'm going to be with Twilight," said Mixy. "I have to tell her and Rarity about what I said last night."

"Mind if Fang and I join you?" asked Dusty. "We promised Rarity we'd help out with gem collecting."

"Why is Fang helping?" asked Cyber.

"Diamond dogs," Fang replied.

"Aaah, what about you and Moonlight, Eclipse?" asked Cyber.

Eclipse shrugged. "Maybe I'll stay with Applejack, got nothing else to do."

"I'll join you for the same reason," added Moonlight.

"Alright then, have fun," Cyber wolfed down his breakfast before dashing into his lab to continue working on the robotic pony.


"Diomedes..." Artemis gently said to her sleeping husband.

"Nnrgnn."

"Diomedes, wake up.."

"Nnngr... honey, can it wait until later, I'm exhausted from hunting."

"But it's about the tribe, and Fang," Diomedes' eyes shot open.

"I'm awake! I'm awake! What is it?"

"Come, you must see this," Artemis showed Diomedes outside, where they were greeted by a white stallion in royal armor.

"Are you Diomedes? Fang's father?" he asked, Diomedes nodded.

"I come from the Princess over in Canterlot to deliver a message, there is a ship being constructed, it will be finished within a few days and will be sent to Predator Island with you, Fang, The Misfits, and Princess Twilight on board. Princess Celestia wants you to hunt as much meat as possible to be sent to Predator Island to begin the supply."

Diomedes looked at his wife. "Fang found a way to end the famine?" Artemis smiled and nodded. Diomedes saluted. "Right away!" then he dashed into the forest with his wife to begin hunting.


Rarity used her magic and Fang's detection skills to find gems underground with Dusty collecting the ones that were deep underground.

"Left," Fang said into the hole, he could sense Dusty's life energy move closer toward the destination. "Right, down, left, your other left."

"Got it!" Dusty called out, then shortly emerged from the ground with a large sapphire, ruby, and diamond.

As Dusty shook off the dirt in his coat, Rarity placed the gems in her bag, marveling at how full it already was. "I must say, with your help, I've never collected nearly as much gems as this alone."

"Well, it helps pass the time," said Fang.

"Plus it's not every day where you can punch a diamond dog in the face. Who knew it was so entertaining?" Dusty added.

"Well, if they're causing either of you trouble, just let me know," said Rarity. "I have a way to persuade diamond dogs."

"Don't worry, predators are born to handle challenges, fighting diamond dogs will be like hunting a rodent."

"That's good to hear, now let's keep going, I think I sense more gems."

Dusty and Fang rolled their eyes before Dusty dug back underground.


"So, how are things now that you told him?" Twilight asked as Mixy helped her shelf books.

"Much better, I feel refreshed."

"That's good to hear, by the way, how far is he in completing Clockwork?"

"He said Clockwork should be finished by tomorrow morning."

"Really!? That's exciting I can't wait to meet him."

"Meet who?" asked Spike.

"Cyber is building a robot pony named Clockwork."

"What's so good about a robot anyway? Don't we have a few robots?"

"Spike, this could be a breakthrough in scientific discovery! Clockwork will be able to make his own choices, have free will, emotions, pretty much like a pony made out of metal, nopony's ever done that before."

"Until now!" said the familiar voice of Cyber at the door, with Lyra behind him.

"Cyber, what are you doing here?" asked Twilight.

"Well, I finished Clockwork's midsection when I thought, 'maybe I could use some help' then after I did a brief set of calculations I figured that with the combined intellect of me, you, and Lyra, we could cut Clockwork's programming finishing by more than half, or in other words, this afternoon!"

"Really?"

Lyra approached them. "Yeah! What are you waiting for? Come on!"

"Bye, Spike, I gotta go, see ya!" Twilight said quickly before flying off with Cyber and Lyra to finish the equine robot.

Spike looked up at Mixy. "I've never seen Twilight so excited about anything other than tests, studying, or anything to do with the princess."

"Well, they're eggheads, it's kinda their job to be excited over science," Mixy answered.

Spike shrugged and returned to dusting.


Scootaloo, Apple Bloom, and Sweetie Belle stood in the middle of a field of ash, they were the only ones not singed as they looked at a very disappointed Applejack and Solar Eclipse.

"I guess our cutie marks ain't for pyrotechnics," said Apple Bloom.

"You think!?" responded Applejack. "You're just lucky Eclipse was here to stop the fire before anythin' was damaged! Thanks again, Eclipse."

"No problem, all it took was a simple thought and it was like blowing out a birthday candle."

"Now, I don't want you messin' with fire no more, got it?"

"Got it," replied the CMC as they walked away.

"Where'd they even get that stuff, anyway?" Applejack asked.

"Don't know. Hey, did you see where Moonlight went?" the two looked around before seeing Moonlight Shadow rise from the ashes.

"I hid in the shadow realm to keep from being hit by the fire, also there's Rainbow Dash."

"How'd you know I was here?" asked Rainbow from a storm cloud just above them.

"I sensed your mischievousness on trying to prank us."

"Wait, she sensed what?" asked Applejack, confused.

"Moonlight would rather not talk about it," Eclipse said.

"I guess."

"So, what are you two doing?" asked Eclipse.

"Nothing I'm just bored," answered Rainbow.

"And I already finished my chores for today," added Applejack.

"We just came to have something to do," said Moonlight.

"Well, ya ain't gonna find somethin' here," said Applejack.

"Well, how about this: I hear that Fang will be going back to his tribe, are you thinking on going?"

Applejack shrugged. "I don't think so, I got the farm to take care of, plus the whole meat-eatin' thing makes me sick just thinkin' about it."

"Nah," said Rainbow. "We've already got a predator that's tough, vicious, and can turn invisible! How awesome is that?"

"You know that it isn't invisibility, just camouflage, right?" Moonlight said.

Rainbow shrugged. "Tomato, to-mah-to. When's that boat supposed to be ready, anyway?"

"About a few days from now," answered Eclipse.


"Here we go..." Cyber said as he, Lyra, and Twilight got in front of the now fully assembled robot pony, who's mane and coat were made of bronze and an engraved cutie mark of two interlocking gears. "Clockwork, activate."

On command, Clockwork's eyes lit up and looked around the room as he stood up, then his eyes flashed a little as if blinking. "Greetings, I am Clockwork," he said without the monotone from the first times he was activated.

"Clockwork, how do you feel?" asked Cyber. Clockwork thought a moment to be sure before answering.

"I feel... happy, I'm very happy indeed that I can feel happiness," this brought a smile to everypony, except Clockwork, who didn't have a mouth although the look in his eyes was more than enough.

"Clockwork, if you had the ability to kill somepony, would you?" asked Lyra, making Clockwork's eyes shrink from surprise.

"Heavens, no! Why would you even ask me that?"

"Uh, just wanted to test your morals, sorry."

"Oh, I see, but you didn't need to ask me if I would kill anypony, I was programmed to be on my best behavior. Although, I guess I would if I was designed for murder."

"This is amazing!" Twilight exclaimed. "It works! It really works."

"Er, I'd hate to ruin your celebration, Princess Twilight Sparkle, but please do not call me 'it'. I was programmed as a stallion, and therefore I should be addressed as one, robot or not! Besides, would you call some pony 'it' like some kind of inanimate object?" Clockwork said, making Twilight blush with embarrassment at how rude she sounded.

"Sorry, Clockwork, and please, just call me Twilight."

Clockwork's eyes showed happiness. "Very well, Twilight."

"Hey, now's not the time for chit-chat, now's the time for a party!"

"I couldn't agree more!" Pinkie said.

Everypony screamed as Pinkie came out of nowhere. "GAAAH!"

"AAAAH! To you too!" Pinkie replied with a smile.

"Pinkie? How did you get past my security system?" Cyber said.

"That doesn't matter now, I've got a birthday party to plan for this pony who was born today!"

"Technically I was made today, Pinkie," said Clockwork.

"Ooh! How'd you know my name? Are you a psychic? Tell me what I'm thinking," Pinkie said.

"Uh... parties?" Clockwork guessed.

"Wow, you're good. Did Cyber make you that way?"

"Actually, he isn't psychic, he's just very smart. I put in all of your personalities in him so it's like he knows you," said Cyber.

"Well, if you're not giving him mind-reading powers, you could've at least given him a mouth, how is he gonna eat cake now?"

"Actually, I don't want to eat cake, I'm fine," this made Pinkie stop and zip extremely close up to him.

"What kind of pony doesn't want cake!?" Pinkie demanded before being pulled away by Lyra and Twilight.

"Cyber are you sure you downloaded her personality into me?" Clockwork asked.

"Honestly, I didn't even bother with Pinkie, I just said she likes parties, friends, and cake. She's just too unpredictable."

"Ah, that reminds me, I've got a party to plan!" Pinkie said then dashed away.

"How long do you think it'll take for Pinkie to plan the party?" asked Lyra.

"I'd give it two hours, tops," replied Twilight.

Cyber chuckled. "Come on, we need to show all of Ponyville its newest inhabitant, the currently only robot pony, Clockwork."

"Splendid!" Clockwork said happily.

Author's Note:

And say hello to Clockwork! Anyway, as always don't forget to comment on what you like, what you want to see, and what's missing.