• Published 28th Jul 2014
  • 4,779 Views, 116 Comments

Eclipse Born - Seeking Dusk



When an eclipse breaks through the walls between realities, it drags a young man from his world and into another. With his arrival come changes that will force many to adapt, and memories of events long past.

  • ...
19
 116
 4,779

It's Never Just One Thing...

I stared at the reflection before to me. Twilight summoned a full length mirror from somewhere, apparently teleporting it in if I had read the patterns right. Either way, I contemplated the visage with an open mind and a flat expression. The forest green fur I expected, having seen it before I passed out and since waking up. I was pretty sure it was forest green. I'd have to ask them later to make sure. The dark hooves were unsurprising for the same reason. General appearance wise; I looked like the typical unicorn stallion; slightly leggy, small barrel, average sized horn, and it looked like the athletic build I had slowly been developing carried over. My eyes were still the Equestria gold, though pony sized, which was a bit distracting.

What I didn’t expect was the mane and tail. I’d never been able to grow a proper afro, mostly because of the weird manner in which my hair grew, curling tightly and kinky, not getting loose and poofy. I had never considering growing dread locks. Until now, apparently. While not all that long, thick black and gold locks still hung from my head, my tail having the same look, though its locks were maybe twice that of my manes.

I looked like the Jamaican flag ponified. I sighted and dragged myself away from the image. I didn’t have much trouble with walking, surprisingly. The gait of a pony wasn’t all that different from crawling on hands-and-knees, even if the leg posture was odd, but mainly it seemed like it was part of whatever spell I subconsciously cast. Low Level Morphological Familiarity Impression is what I dubbed it and Twilight scribbled it down. It was my bizarre spell, I got to name its benefits. It wasn’t perfect though. I has tripped and almost hit my head when I thought too hard about walking, and being startled seemed to turn it off as well. Not to mention the stairs…

Still, it was convenient, which was why I was waiting for the library to catch fire or something. Magic tended to work like that. Like nigh-immediate return karma. Especially once you took Lyra’s utterance of one of the Cursed Phrases into consideration.

Speaking of Lyra; she was still hanging around, watching me from her sprawling post on the couch, grinning slightly.

“And what’s your problem?” I asked her testily, my tail shifting subconsciously and a faint blush setting it. Pony or not, I was still naked in front of a female. Old habits die hard.

“Nothing,” Lyra said, her grin widening and a slight musical tilt to her tone. “You make a good looking stallion.”

I stared at her, jaw hanging slighty. “I… what?”

“You look good. Not quite hot, but attractive enough. You would clean up nicely,” Lyra said, expounding on her observations. “I couldn’t tell when you were human, since I didn’t know what they were supposed to look like really, but it works for you.”

Nope. Not going there. I left the room and the dangerous waters, ignoring the clipplity clops my hooves made on the floor. Honestly, how did any pony manage to sneak around with these things? “Twilight! Made any progress yet?”

“I was just joking around!” Lyra laughed, following me. I ignored her and headed for the basement. Of course, with my new enemy the stairs standing between me and Twilight’s secret laboratory, I was forced to holler down at her from the open door.

“Twilight! You down there?” I got my answer in the form of a burst of purple light and the telltale pattern of a teleportation spell, scaring the heck out of me. The LLMFI was disrupted by it and my legs sprayed randomly, pitching me over.

Lyra caught me on her shoulder before I had another introduction to the ground and giggled. “Now Twilight, I’m not sure this is what your mother meant when she said you could have stallions falling for you if you tried.”

“Shut up, Lyra,” I grumbled as I let myself remember how my feet were supposed to work. Stupid hooves, stupid coat. Gah! “Please tell me you have something for me Twilight.”

“Well…” Twilight said evasively.

“Don’t give me that!” I snapped, snorting and stomping a hoof on the wooden floor. “Come on! You’re the student of the great and powerful Sun-Riser! You’re the child prodigy that the magic institute is will to accept research advice from! You have to have something!”

“Easy there, Caleb,” Lyra said, sounding a bit worried.

I turned on her. “And you! You! Don’t tell me to take it easy!”

“Hey! Don’t yell at her or Twilight!” Spike said, sounding pissed as he came up from the basement.

“You!” I whirled on him, the rush of energy ready to lash out at the new target. Only to dwindling since I had nothing to rage on him about. Sure, he had been in the room, but so what? It had been Twilight’s idea and Lyra’s magic… Okay, so maybe I didn’t really have any reason to be chewing into them either. My frustration built. “Gah! Fine! Just… give me something. Please. Fix this.”

“What’s wrong with being a pony?” Twilight asked.

“The part where I’m not?” I responded, cocking an eyebrow at her as I dosed the comment with sarcasm. I think I felt one of my ears, the left, I think

“Well, aside from that,” Twilight said, dismissing it as if it were nothing. “The spell effect itself is impressive. I haven’t been able to detect any sort of unraveling or degradation around you, nor can I find any obvious spell patterns on you. The spell’s thoroughness and subtly are remarkable! To think this complex of a transformation spell was born from an uncontrolled mana surge!”

“Ah, Sparkle?” Lyra said slowly, noticing my eye twitching as Twilight continued to talk, gently shifting so she was partially between us. I think Spike might have shifted as well. “I don’t think that’s the most reassuring thing you could have said.”

“Listen to the green mare; there is wisdom in her words,” I ground out. I was trying not to give into the urge to reach over and shake the absentminded researcher until she started talking about the really important issues at hand.

“What? Oh…” Twilight finally seemed to have noticed the look in my eyes. “Sorry. I did get a bit carried away in the data. Don’t worry, between what I could pick up during your surge, the residual spell patterns in the room and what I pulled from your horn, I’ve been piecing together the formula details of the spell you used.”

“That sounds wonderful. Now; what did you find out?” I asked with a very forced and false sounding sincere tone. Lyra didn’t look convinced. Actually, none of the three did.

“Well… that it is a very complex spell with little to no degradation and mana loss?” She said in a shy and nervous manner. My eye twitched again and the sound of someone charging up a spell reached me. I connected the dots when I felt heat building up from my new forehead accessory. Twilight started talking hastily. “It’s only been a few hours. Hardly enough time to do proper research into the effect, Caleb! Just because I haven’t found anything doesn’t mean I won’t.”

Spike was talking at the same time and planted himself before Twilight, growling at me, little tongues of fire sparking. “Who do you think you are? Don’t you dare threaten Twilight! She’s doing the best she can to help you and this is how you act!?”

“Easy Caleb! Take it easy! Your magic is reacting!” Lyra was saying, worried eyes flicking between my horn and my face, her ears splayed back. “Calm down before you do something stupid you regret!”

Something snapped, the building aura dispelling with a flash and an audible pop like a blown bulb, the lingering heat in my horn slightly uncomfortable against my forehead, worse since it was being directly conducted. Suddenly, everything was in perspective. I was overdue for some more weirdness to happen. Considering all the stories I had been told about life in Ponyville and the adventures of Twilight and her friends, I was pretty much overdue for a visit from the crazy happenstance fairy.

“You’re right! You are ab-so-lutely right!” I declared as a slightly unhinged grin spread across my equine muzzle. I turned slowly, moving one pony leg at a time and struck out for the door, humming a song from The Sound of Music. My sudden change in demeanour took them off guard and I could feel three sets of eyes boring into me as I left.

“Where are you going?” Spike demanded, still sounding pissed about my yelling at Twilight.

“I got a hankering for a cinnamon roll!” I responded cheerfully, not even looking back as I pushed the door open and strutted out into the bright sunshine. I sang a few modified lines from the song I had started humming.

“ ‘What will this day be like?’ I wonder.
‘What grand disaster'll strike?’ I wonder.
It should be so swell to be out and about and free,
I should be thrilled and so happy,
But not with what's happen to me...

I actually made it further than I thought before someone ran up to catch me. It didn’t even bother me that they had cut into my song. Lyra’s trot slowed to match my walk, and she looked worriedly at me as I kept on humming. I had half expected it to be Twilight going on about why I should stay in the library were she could keep tabs on me, but life (and my magic) kicked me in the teeth and by all this pure I needed a cinnamon roll and spiced milk to make it all better.

Mommy Kisses would be good too, but mom was…

I shook my head with a whiney to abort that thought. At the moment I was off kilter enough as it was without piling more regrets on it. Lyra finally broke the silence. “You okay, Caleb?”

“Lyra, Lyrah, Leera, Li-He-ra,” I spoke cheerfully, playing with the sounds of her name. “I turned into a pony!” My voice got high pitched and cracking on that one, actually sounding like Sweetie Belle for a moment, though still cheerful. “Of course I’m not okay!”

“Oh…” her hoofsteps faltered slightly. I kept my eyes focused ahead to remain undistracted. Lyra sounded a bit depressed when she spoke again. “Sorry about the teasing, I thought it would make you feel better. Guess it didn’t.”

“No, not really,” I said, still cheerful.

“Your eye is twitching again,” Lyra commented.

“I know!” I said with a relish. I was in a very dramatic mode. “That’s why I’m going for a cinnamon roll! It will make everything all better before everything goes wrong!”

“What? What makes you think that everything will go wrong?” Lyra said, hesitating as she tried and failed to see the logic.

“Because everything has been right up till now, and since I turned into a pony, two more things will go horribly wrong today, so I’m getting a cinnamon roll to prepare!”

“How would a cinnamon roll help?” she tried, catching back up to me. Ah, she was weak, if simple things like that threw her.

“How wouldn’t a cinnamon roll help?” I countered.

----------

The doors to Sugarcube Corner rang as we entered. Or rather, the bells above the door did from the force I swung it open. I loved this place. The air was rich the smell of pastries, goodies and things generally too sweet to be anything but a guilty pleasure, but too good to be had that rarely. And they made glorious cinnamon rolls. The most amazing ones I had ever tasted.

“I have come for cinnamon rolls!” I declared grandly, starting patrons. “Cinnamon rolls dripping with frosting and served with spiced milk!”

“You have come to the right place!” Pinkie responded, for it was she who manned the counter. And then she gasped. My perceptions blurred and my sense of direction was momentarily upset as Pinkie left the counter, grabbed my hand, er, hoof and Lyra’s dragged us to a table and planted us there. “Wow Caleb, I didn’t know you could turn into a pony! Wait, no…” she gasped again. “You’ve come for Emergency Support Rolls! You poor thing!”

Still dizzy from the transition from door to table, I could only yip when a mess of pink hair filled my vision and she embraced me in a crushing hug. “Don’t you worry, I’ll make you up some special!”

“Wait, how’d you know it was him?” Lyra demanded, grabbing her tail in her magic before she could leave.

“How couldn’t I, Silly Filly?” Pinkie giggled. “I didn’t get any new pony twitches today, but I got the ‘Friend is feeling really conflicted’ sense and a doozy! So when the new pony turned up, I figured it wasn’t really a new pony, even if it wasn’t a spy like Rainbow Dash would thing. Has she called you a spy yet? She will! Anyway, he still sounds like Caleb, he doesn’t have a cutie mark, and only Caleb asked for cinnamon rolls like that. See? Easy Peasy.”

Lyra looked dumbfounded as Pinkie bounced off to get my treat.

Unfortunately for me, Pinkie manage to break my mood, and reality set in. Turned self into pony? Check. Yelled at people trying to help? Check. Paranoia about what will go wrong next? Check? Cinnamon Roll to bury the pain? In progress. Refuge in Audacity? Uncheck. I let my head drop unto the table with a thump, rattling the little bowl with sugar and other complementaries. "Ow..."

Lyra stared at me for a while not saying anything while I listlessly stared back , a vacant expression on my face. Wait… muzzle? My listless expression became a wistful one as I moaned. Lyra apparently had enough with the silence. “Okay, what’s up with you?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” I responded blandly, giving her one of those looks that said ‘really?’ “Didn’t I just go though the whole ‘I’m not a pony, I don’t want to be a pony’ thing with Twilight five minutes ago? I’m pretty sure you were there. You were the mint mare standing off to the side.”

“I’m not talking about that part. That part I can get. Sorta,” Lyra said, waving a hoof dismissively. “And Sparkle really didn’t have much tact explaining it. But I’m talking about what happened after that. And cinnamon rolls?”

“Ah…” I let air hiss through my teeth. “That was the act of a desperate man trying to make everything seem better by making it… It’s a rush of emotions thing. The stress got to me. And you can get rid of stress temporarily by pretending it doesn’t exist. Didn’t expect it to wear off so soon though…”

“And the cinnamon rolls? And milk?” Lyra asked.

“I like cinnamon rolls. And every other day or so I stop by and get one from here. With a flavoured milk. Banana, chocolate, Pinkie even made blueberry for me once. For all her crazy, she’s a plain awesome cook,” I said, shrugging slightly, though it was more of a roll of the shoulders.

“Aw, thanks Calie!” Pinkie said, popping up with her always impeccable timing to put two steaming cinnamon rolls with lovely looking glaze and icing on the table along with two glasses of foamy milk. “These two are freshly baked!”

And she was gone just as quickly as she arrived. Having been a patron of the store for over a week, I didn’t bother worrying about it. ‘It’s Pinkie’ really did apply to most things she did. I grinned weakly at the mare across from me. “Honestly, it beats drinking. A cinnamon roll a day keeps the worse of the fears away.”

Lyra didn’t say anything, just made a contemplative sound and picked up her utensils with her magic and started cutting off a piece of the roll and stuffing it in her mouth. Her face lit up and she started talking through a mouthful of pastry. “Wuw! Dezz ar’ gud!”

I looked at her before looking down at my plate, flanked by a fork, that I lacked the hands to us. “Oh come on…”

“Hmm?”

“How am I supposed to eat this with these hooves?” I complained. I poked at the fork with my hoof, trying to figure out how to pick them up. I’ve seen ponies pick up stuff in their hooves before. Twilight mentioned something about a tactile telekinetic foci in the hooves… then went on to sprout theory about the nature of the tribal magics again.

“I don’t know if you are coordinated enough to use your hooves,” Lyra after she swallowed. “Use your magic.”

“You know that implies I actually have control of it. Last time I sorta blew up. And turned into a pony,” I deadpanned. Maybe I should just eat it like a dog or cat would. But then icing would get on my face.

“Heads up!” Lyra said suddenly, tossing her knife at me.

“What the frick!” I yelped, ducking, expecting the knife to hit me. I held my cringing pose for a while before I realized nothing was hitting me, nor did I hear the sound of the knife hitting the floor. What I did hear was the faint pattern of a spell. Hesitantly I looked up. Lyra was grinning at me across the table, the knife suspended in the air with a green glow around it. “Wha..?”

“You might not like it, but you are a unicorn now, and Twilight has been drilling you with spell theory for a week,” Lyra said. “I figured I could get you to cast the basic levitation spell if I forced it. You did cast it before you surged.”

“Well… Fancy that…” I murmured.

“Just so you know, I’m going to call you Devoted Heart until we get this sorted out,” Lyra added.

That caused me to lose focus and drop the knife. “Wait, why?”

“Because Caleb is a weird name for a pony. A human, fine. A sheep or cow, sure. Not a pony.”

“Come on, it’s a girl’s name…”

“It’s not. It’s a nice name. Powerful.” she said confidently. Then added with a sly grin, “and gender neutral.”

“Fine. You’re paying for this though,” I grumbled. “I forgot to grab my bits before leaving.”

Lyra rolled her eyed but gave vague agreement before she pushed the knife closer. “Sure, whatever. Now let me try and help you with that.”

----------

I was clumsy as hell, but I managed somehow with Lyra’s coaching. It was hard to describe how it felt holding utensils in magic. Somewhat like phantom sensations and a pressure on my brow as I struggled to maintain the feeble glow of my magic. But I ate my cinnamon roll, gosh darn it and it was splendid, and I only got a little bit of it on myself. A straw at least spared me from struggling with the glass and the potential disaster that held.

One of these days I needed to look into the pony petroleum industries to see where they got their plastics and oils from, and how it compared to human mining. The oil industry was a big issue back on earth, and with how concerned ponies were with the environment it would be interesting to see how they balanced it.

I was working my way through the last bit when a rather pressing need presented itself. Actually; it had been building for a while, but long practice has made it easy to ignore up to this point. No longer. The large glass of milk hadn’t helped. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. I might be worth it to wait until Twilight found a solution, but since I had no time table on that… “Lyra?”

“Yes Devoted?” she responded, sipping her milk.

“I… kinda have to go,” I said.

“Finally stallioning up and going to apologize to Twilight?” Lyra asked. She had pointed out a few minutes before I did need to get over myself and go grovel and kiss Twilight’s hooves and seek clemency for my earlier actions. She might not have said it in those exact words though.

I said I needed more time. I found it hard to pull a one eighty like that. But that was unimportant. “No, not leave, go.

“Go? Oh; Go!” Lyra thought about it for a while, her eyes widening when she finally got my facial expression. “Then go if you need to. You should know where.”

“Well, I don’t know if… I know how,” I admitted. Lyra laughed. Burst out in a full-on belly laugh that started attracting attention from the other patrons in the store. I could feel the heat in my cheeks.

“You know what, forget it. I’ll figure it out,” I muttered and got off my rump and stalked off to the restroom.

I’ll admit, it took a while to figure out how to work the new plumbing, and it didn’t help that Lyra knocked on the door offering to hold my hoof. Sometimes I wondered about that girl. Mare. That mare. Still, I was man, and I could figure out how to work the common element.

Lyra was still chuckling when we left, ignoring my glare as she bounced down the street, reminding more of Pinkie. “You are an evil mare.”

“It was pretty funny when Pinkie offered to show you how it worked if you were having trouble,” Lyra said, wiping a tear from her eye.

“A very evil mare,” I reiterated, my cheeks still red. Noticing we weren’t heading back to in the direction of the library, I questioned Lyra. “So where are we going now?”

“Sparkle will need time to get over your little quarrel, and you need time to pony up like a typical stallion,” Lyra said, managing to subdue her laugher.

“Man up,” I grumbled, not willing to yield to the pony vernaculars. Still, my glare downgraded into a glower, as I considered the point Lyra was making. Yeah, I suppose I could use a bit of thinking time to get a level head and actually keep it. I had pretty much accepted being in Equestria, and it was a pretty cool place, and even got a job out of it. But I never imagined becoming a pony. Speaking of, I glanced over at Lyra, it was the first time I was on the same level as the ponies, only having an inch or three on her, though I did get a bit more length to worry about.

Things looked a bit different from this angle, to be honest. Not a whole lot, but enough that I could tell when I started looking for it. Speaking of noticeable things; the ponies in the area seemed to be giving us odd looks. Maybe pairs of green unicorns were noteworthy? I spotted one of the flower girls, Daisy, pulling a cart of flowers and waved at her. Her response was a bit restrained and somewhat on the confused side.

“Hey Daisy,” Lyra grinned.

“Hello Daisy,” I said in greeting. “How is business coming along?”

“Quite well,” Daisy mumbled. “I’m sorry, but have we met before?”

“What? Of course we have, I- oh, right,” Of course she didn’t recognize me like this. “We’ve met, but I didn’t look like this. I’m-”

“Devoted Heart,” Lyra helpfully, interrupting me.

“Well it’s nice to meet you Devoted Heart,” Daisy said, smiling at me.

“Okay, first off, Lyra; no. Bad mare,” I said, my glower once again upgrading into a glare as I half turned to jab a hoof in her direction, only tripping slightly. Lyra stuck her tongue out at me. “Secondly; I’m Caleb, the human guy that’s been around, calls out to you mares every morning. It’s post… magic accident. We are working on it.”

Daisy’s eyes widened and she started to inhale. I quickly covered her mouth with my hoof. It was an acceptable thing to do. I’d seen Twilight do it. “Ah, ah! No yelling out ‘the horror’ or anything like starting a panic! Okay?” When she nodded, I moved it.

“Sorry,” Daisy apologized.

“Don’t want the attention, Devoted?” Lyra asked innocently.

“Not helping, Lyra,” I said, grinding my teeth slightly. Wow… I never noticed how flat they were compared to my human ones before.

“It’s going to be hard to avoid attention considering you don’t have a cutie mark,” Daisy pointed out. “It was the first thing I noticed about you, Devote-, sorry, Caleb. A lot of ponies have noticed it, actually.”

“Ah, that explains the looks,” I murmured. “And Pinkie had commented on it too.”

“An adult without a Cutie Mark is… I’ve never heard of one,” Lyra admitted. “Not outside of stories anyway.”

“It’s really terrifying, in a way, to look at,” Daisy said, looking at my blank flank with mingled apprehension and awe. “Like a Nightmare Night story.”

“Makes you wonder if something can steal the thing that makes you special, or if he was cursed to search endlessly for it,” Lyra said. At my expression she grinned. “I’ve been thinking about it for a while.”

“It really does have that air of mystery to it,” Daisy agreed. Okay, two grown mares staring at my ass was a bit concerning. My tail flicked in an attempted to try and cover it, which only set them giggling.

“Okay… that aside,” I said, rolling my eyes. Save me from women, because I just couldn’t get them, not the human ones, much less the pony ones. And they were so many of them here. I only knew about ten, maybe fifteen stallions, most of them in passing. “Do stallions seriously call them Cutie Marks?”

The giggling got worse. I waited them out, watching the ponies watching me, or rather watching my flank. Seriously. It was getting very distressing. Why did I leave the privacy of the library again?

“Some do, a lot of them call it Flank Mark, Destiny Mark or just simply Mark. It helps them hold on to their stallionness.” Lyra gave me a bright grin.

“… I can’t tell if you’re punking me or not,” I admitted after a moment.

“So where are you off to?” Lyra asked Daisy, happily ignoring me. Daisy looked as if she didn't know what I was talking about, which she probably didn't.

"Pranking," I added for her benefit. She made a little 'oh' of understanding before giggling once again (those giggles were starting to get to me) before responding to Lyra.

“Well, I was picking some wild flowers in the White Tail Woods when I noticed some strange lights and odd winds.” Daisy shuddered at the memory. “It was so cold. There wasn’t any wind anywhere else, and I had never seen those lights before, so I took what I already gathered and was going to let Twilight know about it. Unusual magic is something she is good at.”

“Ah, well you see,” Lyra started. I sighed and waved a hoof to make her stop talking.

“No, it’s fine. Something that might bug the town is more important than my issue.” Okay, maybe not to me, and damn that took a lot of willpower to say, but it was ‘right’. Lyra looked at me with a small smile. I didn’t try to read into it. “Daisy, you go tell Twilight and let her know that Lyra and I are going ahead to take a look at it in the meanwhile. Tell her she can… work on my thing later and that… I said sorry.”

“Sorry for what?” Daisy asked.

“She’ll know,” I said quickly. No need to get into the reason why with her. “Can you tell us where you saw the lights?”

It didn’t take long for Daisy to pass the information along. To Lyra, that is. I might be able to find my way around Ponyville without much issue, but the lands outside town were a different matter altogether. I managed to keep the pleasant look on my face, muzzle, until Daisy was on her way again.

“I blame you for this, by the way,” I said, once we were moving again, a destination in mind.

“For what?” Lyra asked.

“This how issue. Mysterious lights in the forest? Weird chill winds?” I sighed. This was going to drag on forever. I should have just shut myself up in my room like a proper brooding victim instead of going for Cinnamon Roll.

“How is that my fault?” Lyra said, rolling her eyes in exasperation.

“What did you do?” I echoed in disbelief. I started quoting her. “Let’s see… ‘Not ca- GAH! Sheesh…” I tried making an air quote and only stumbled, barely managing to keep from falling. “Stupid hooves… But saying things like what can go wrong and everything will be fine is giving the universe a direct invitation to mess with you. At my expense in this case.”

“That’s crazy,” Lyra snorted.

I stopped walking and just looked at her. “Really? You are a mint green pony with a magic horn that lets you cast magic spells and there is a picture magically imprinted on your flank talking to a guy that fell from another dimension or reality, we haven’t decided which term is correct yet, who’s temporarily stuck as a green… forest green?” I asked. I wasn’t the best at colours. Lyra nodded. “A forest green blank flanked unicorn.”

“Okay, so what’s your point?” Lyra asked.

“That was my point,” I responded, walking off again. Maybe I should try a trot? I did, tentatively, and was pleased to find that the… um… LLMFI (I hadn’t gotten a chance to write it down yet; hooves and all) still held out. “Your bar for scepticism shouldn’t be so high.”

“Okay, now you’re just being paranoid,” Lyra said, trotting after me.

“Sure, call it paranoia. I call it wary. This is the land of magic after all,” I shot back.

“Puh-lease. What’s the worst that could happen?” Lyra asked again.

I swear to you; the second she said that three small fuzzy anti-personal ballistic projectiles slammed into me, knocking me not only off my hooves, but bouncing at least once off the road before crash landing into the relatively soft bushes. When the world stopped spinning, three sets of eager, shining faces were beaming down at me.

I knew those faces. The avatars of Chaos, Mayhem and Confusion. Hidden under a façade of cute filly forms and cunningly disguised as the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

“Why Lyra? What did I ever do to you!” I bawled to the sky as they all started speaking at once.

“Wow mister! Ah nevah thought it was true!” Apple Bloom said eagerly.

“How’d you manage to get so old widdout getting a cutie mark?” Scootaloo demanded.

“Ooo! You should join our club! We can help each other get our cutie marks!”

“I was joking! I didn’t think you were right!” Lyra said, staring at the fillies pinning me to the ground with obvious shock.

“Don’t tempt the universe!” I yelled back at her, trying to coordinate my way out from under the fillies. “Old Human Proverb: Trouble comes in Threes!”

Instantly, I realized my mistake. I looked back at the fillies and only saw the face of evil. Old Human Proverb with a New Human Twist: Speak of the Devil and he shall appear, tempt the universe, and it runs with it. Trouble comes in threes. No one said the last trouble had to be alone.

“Human?”