• Published 31st Dec 2014
  • 6,706 Views, 300 Comments

Essenza di Amore - Cerulean Voice



Like Princess Twilight Sparkle, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza was not born into her royal title. Follow a younger Cadance along the path to ascension, and her discovery of the true essence of love.

  • ...
9
 300
 6,706

Epilogue: Last of the Wilds

“And that’s the story of how I became a Princess of Equestria.”

Cadance sat at the end of the bed, a gentle breeze flowing through the open window. A solitary oil lamp flickered on the bedside table, littered with books and scraps of paper. A miniature notebook and quill sat next to a plush toy, which a small purple filly grasped in her aura.

Twilight Sparkle sat up and bounced on her bed, still cocooned in her blankets. “No, no, no! You can’t end the story like that, Cady! Now what happened next?”

“Ah ah ah, Twily. No more story until you lie back down again and relax.”

Twilight crossed her legs and pouted, her head sideways.

“Twily, please? I’m getting a little sleepy myself. I may just fall asleep before I finish the story. You don’t want that now, do you?”

Twilight turned back, held a firm expression for a moment, and then finally sighed as she fell back into bed, covers tightly drawn about her small body. “Fine… so what next?” Her patchwork doll floated in next to her as she clutched the covers even tighter. “You came here, right?”

“Yes,” Cadance said. “It was a long ride by Princess Chariot. Honestly I think I could have flown by myself a lot faster, but the Princess said it would be more proper to arrive in the service of her guards. Besides, we had to stop somewhere else first.”

“Where?”

“The city of Cloudsdale,” Cadance said. “Princess Celestia wanted to check some personal records on the way. So, we found them in the Cloudsdale archives… and, well, quite a few mysteries were solved that day.”

“Like what?” Twilight asked, sitting up again.

“Lie down, Twily. No more story for upright little unicorns.”

Pfft. That’s a silly rule.” Twilight scoffed.

“It’s also your mother’s rule.”

Without another word, Cadance lightly pushed Twilight until she fell back onto her mattress. Wrapped up in her little cocoon, Twilight bounced a single time before becoming still. “Well?” she pressed, “what did you find in the library, Cady? Were there any good books?”

“Uh... yeah, Twily. Lots and lots of great books. They were mostly about flying though, so nothing you’ll ever need to worry about, okay?”

“Hey, that’s not fair! I might still wanna read them sometime.”

Cadance shook her head and giggled. “You just want to read every book in all of Equestria, don’t you, Twily?”

“Yep! Now come on! What did you find there?”

Cadance sat still for a moment, her head turned down.

“Cady? You okay?”

Cadance looked up as Twilight waved the plush doll in front of her face. “Smarty Pants wants to hear more too.”

“Hmmm.” Cadance smiled and leaned forward, running a hoof through Twilight’s mane. “We found my family tree. From there, I learned my parents’ names: my father was Crescendo Breeze, and my mother was Ruby Amore. Turns out that my mother was distantly related to an ancient Princess from long ago.”

“Wow,” breathed Twilight. “You’re really a Princess. So what did you do after you learned who you are?” She yawned as a pink hoof stroked her forehead before withdrawing.

“Well, the three of us all got back in the chariot and headed for Canterlot. We landed atop the castle’s north tower, where some Royal Guards were already waiting to take Prismia into custody. She went with them willingly, although she turned and gave me a hug before they led her away.

“I stayed with Princess Celestia in her chamber, because she didn’t want me to feel alone. I really missed my parents that night, but it was good to know that she cared so much. I’m still not sure who appreciated each other being there the most, though.

“She introduced me to the Day Court the next morning after sunrise. Everypony gasped and pointed at me at first, but then the Princess told them all to settle down and that she would make an official announcement soon. It was amazing, seeing so many ponies all making such a fuss over me.”

Twilight giggled for a few seconds before settling down. “So what happened to Prismia, Cady? Did she ever learn to love anypony?”

“I’m... not sure, Twily,” Cadance said after a pause. “I haven’t seen her since she was taken away. I’ve been so busy with my own studies, learning to become a proper Princess for the day I’m needed. I should probably go visit her sometime. But if I do, that’ll be another story for another time, okay?”

“Okay.” Twilight stretched her legs and yawned. She grabbed at the patchwork doll with a stringy mane and polka-dot pants next to her. “Thanks for the story tonight, Cady. You’re the best foalsitter in the history of foalsitters. I love you.”

“And I love you too, Twily. I’m so glad the Princess assigned me to foalsit for you. But it’s time for bed now. If you be a good filly, close your eyes and go to sleep, I’ll tell you another story tomorrow night.”

Twilight closed her eyes and nodded, hugging her doll tightly. “Smarty and I are both looking forward to it,” she said with another yawn.”Good night, Cady.”

“Good night, Twily. Sweet dreams.”

It took less than a minute of a hoof stroking her mane—coupled with some melodious humming—before Twilight was snoring faintly, mane askew over her face.

“Moonshine, Moonshine, fireflies alight. Rest your eyes and embrace the night.”


Twilight’s bedroom door closed as Cadance grasped the handle in her magic and twisted it gently. Once the mechanism clicked into place, she turned and tiptoed down the hall toward the stairs; with every footfall, she gently flapped her wings so that her hooves only very lightly touched the ground.

She turned at the end and look at a photo on the wall. It depicted her special little filly surrounded by her adoring—and adorable—family. Twilight Velvet sat with a foreleg around both little Twilight and her big brother, Shining Armor, while Night Light stood behind them all, a relaxed grin on his face.

For a short while Cadance just stood there, looking at the happy family. A pang of loneliness hit her chest.

I’ll have to ask Princess Celestia if I can postpone my study for a few days. I’m sure my family worries about me, even if they say they fully support my decision to live here.

She lowered her gaze and descended the stairs into the hallway. To her right was the ruckus room, where Shining Armor and some of his school friends were playing his and Twilight’s favourite board game, Oubliettes and Ogres. As she passed, she caught Shining’s eye; he immediately dropped the dice in his magical grip, to raucous laughter from his friends. I must have given him a bad roll, she thought as laughter rose up when she passed by, heading for the living room. A small smile crept over her face.

Gosh, that colt can be cute when he wants to be.

She proceeded slowly, poking her head around a corner into the living room. A flickering fire cast dancing shadows on the walls.

Night Light sat on a plush sofa, some scrolls next to him while he studied some kind of miniature blue statue with a magnifying glass. At a nearby desk bathing in light from an oil lamp, Twilight Velvet grasped a quill, scribbling every so often at a sizeable stack of paper. Both looked up as Cadance entered the room.

“Twilight is asleep, Mister and Missus Light,” she said. “We had a great time this evening.”

“We really appreciate it, Miss Cadenza,” Night said. He stretched and stood from the sofa, returning the statue to the coffee table next to it. He trotted over next to his wife. “Velvet and I have been ridiculously busy lately, and it’s a real load off our backs to have somepony looking after little Twily. Shining is great most of the time, but we understand he has his own social life too.”

“Oh, it’s no problem at all, Mister Light,” Cadance replied with a smile. “I’m quite happy to look after Twilight for you. She’s so adorable with her books and her doll. I was actually thinking I could take her to the Royal Library tomorrow, if that’s okay with both of you.”

“Yes, I’m sure she would love that.” Velvet lowered her quill. “Our Twily sure loves her studies. She’s already surpassing the other fillies at school by a long shot—we hope to hear back from Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns about her application any day now.”

A broad smile spread across Cadance’s face. “I’m sure she’ll pass with flying colours,” she said. She turned her head to the ceiling in the bedroom’s general direction. “You should have seen her mastery of levitation magic when we built a mini fort out of pillows and books. Why, she has better control of her magic than I do of mine!”

A loud whoop, followed by some cheers from outside the hallway, drew their attention.

Night Light rolled his eyes. “I think I have to remind those colts to keep it down after dark.” He kissed Velvet on the cheek then nodded to Cadance. “Thank you again, Miss Cadenza,” he said before departing the living room.

Cadance turned back to Velvet, the Crystal Pendant glowing around her neck. “You two are such great parents, you know. Twily and Shining are lucky to have you both.”

Velvet blushed and turned back to her stack of paper; scratching once again filled the room as she resumed crossing out and rewriting sections of text. “We’re lucky to have you too,” she said over the sound of her quill dancing with the paper. “You’re a sweet filly, Miss Cadenza. Thank you again for your outstanding services.”

“Thank you, Missus Light.” Cadance sank into a brief bow. Just the way that Aunt Celestia taught me. “I’ll be back tomorrow. Have a good night.”

“You too, dear.”

As Cadance made to leave the living room, three colts beat her to the door, followed by Shining Armor and Night Light. After wishing each other a good night—with a promise to continue their ‘campaign’ the next day—they exited, leaving Cadance standing there with both stallions of the house. Night looked between them, bearing the ghost of a grin before returning to his documents and the blue statue.

Which left Shining and Cadance standing there together, alone in the hall.

As Cadance turned back to look at him, he averted his gaze and coughed. “Er, I-I should get to bed, too,” he said, eyes darting every which way except at Cadance. “You probably should too—uh, I mean, not like I’m trying to get rid of you or anything, but… I mean, yeah. Bedtime.” He let out a surprisingly loud yawn and stretched his forelegs to the ceiling.

“I was just about to leave anyway, actually,” Cadance replied. She walked toward the door. “Need my ‘Royal Sleep’ as Auntie calls it, especially if I’m getting up early to take Twily out for the day.”

“Oh, you’re coming back?”

A glint appeared in Shining’s eyes for a split second before he turned his head again. “I mean, er, oh, that’s cool. Twily’ll… she’ll like that.” He started off upstairs. “I’ll—we’ll—see you tomorrow, Miss Cadenza.”

He placed a hoof on the bottom step—

“Cadance.”

He stopped and looked back at Cadance—rather, the floor at her hooves—his lip quivering. “Pardon me?”

“Cadance,” she repeated. “Just… call me ‘Cadance’ from now on, okay?”

Shining stood still for a moment before finally making no more than a second’s eye contact. “Okay. Good night, Cadance. Seeya!” With a wave, he spun around and walked upstairs a little too quickly, leaving Cadance standing in the hallway alone. She suppressed a giggle and stared down at the Crystal Pendant.

Well, that’s not surprising in the least.


As she stepped outside and closed the door behind her, Cadance looked at the sky. The Mare in the Moon’s silhouette stared down at her as usual.

It took me a while to adjust to it being much larger from Canterlot than back home in Zahara, but now I cannot imagine a night sky where it does not shine down from just over the castle towers.

She walked away from the house and opened her wings to the cool air. The breeze ruffled her feathers, but she no longer felt the cold as she once did; Aunt Celestia had told her that, like regular pegasi, alicorns do not feel the cold so much as other ponies.

She bent her knees and sprang off from the cobblestoned ground, enjoying the feel of the wind between her wings as she soared through the air. She started to head back to the palace.

So what happened to Prismia, Cady? Did she ever learn to love anypony?

Twilight’s question rang in her mind.

I’m... not sure, Twily.

She slowed a little in mid-flight.

I should probably go visit her sometime.

Cadance cast her eyes toward the northeastern end of Canterlot, where a small building rested a little higher up the hill than most others. She looked back at the palace, and then back at the building. After taking a deep breath, Cadance changed course.

But if I do, that’ll be another story for another time, okay?

Sorry, Auntie, but I’m going to be back a little later tonight.

Author's Note:

Awkward moments between star-crossed lovers. So cute :rainbowkiss:

Well, guys. I guess this is the end of the road... at least for now.
If you wish, feel free to check out the following two chapters of bonus deleted content that, for whichever reason, did not make the final cut.

Thank you so much for treading this path with Cadance. She loves you for it, and so do I. :heart: