• Published 29th Jul 2014
  • 519 Views, 42 Comments

StarChaser - StarChaser01



They say that history is written by the winners. But what if an event so terrible happened that there was no winners to write about it?

  • ...
12
 42
 519

Chapter 2: ... Another Begins.

Princess Twilight Sparkle was having an interesting day to say the least.

It had started out as any other day, get up, check list, have breakfast, check list, etc. But that had quickly changed when she received an official report from the Department of Equestrian History requesting her presence and also saying something about one of their top archeologists discovering not only the remains of an ancient battle, but a giant crystal with a Pegasus inside!

Needless to say, she essentially dropped everything and went to investigate.


Upon reaching the base camp where the archeologist team was set up an Earth Pony that she recognized as Hidden History came to up to greet her.

“Good day your majesty,” History said with a quick bow.

Twilight was relieved that he didn’t continue that bow as she had been working hard to convince ponies that while short bows were fine, she didn’t appreciate long bows…

“Of course I would come to where such an interesting discovery has occurred.”

History smiled as he gestured towards the other site workers. “Judging from the amount of artifacts we’re unearthing we think we may have found the discovery of the century!” Twilight nodded in a rapid excitement as she saw the many trinkets being brushed and cleaned.

“Has anypony figured out anything of great importance yet?”

“Other than the united forces and the crystal in the fortress, no.”

Twilight began moving towards the crumbling structure as she asked, “Nopony has tampered with the crystal have they?”

“No your majesty. I specifically instructed them to only allow somepony with higher experience and authority to examine it.”

“Good work.”

Twilight then made her way to the old fortress, careful not to disturb any of the old skeletons. When she reached the gate, she noticed that it still had some residual thaumic signatures, more specifically the ones that would be found where shield spells were in use. Using a piece of parchment and a quill, specially designed to have a small amount of ink stored within, she jotted down a note to herself to investigate this further in the future.

She was just about to finish writing when she noticed the giant crystal, or more specifically, the thaumic signatures coming off of it.

“Fascinating…” she muttered to herself as she approached it to get a better look, of course while jotting down notes about what she was noticing. “Some of the thaumic signatures are similar to an ‘Absolute Defense’ spell, some are similar to a stasis spell, and I have no idea about the rest…”

Out of the corner of her eye she noticed one of the unicorn archeologists looking confused. ‘Of course they probably can’t sense it, the only reason why I did is because I was already checking out the signature on the gate, and because I’m an Alicorn…’ she thought to herself. ‘Wait… stasis spell? Is that Pegasus still alive? Just, paused?’

Searching her memory, she found an “Aura Detection” spell. ‘Normally a spell like this would be too weak to pick up somepony who’s in stasis but…’ her thoughts were suddenly derailed by what the spell was telling her.

What the spell did was temporarily let her see the life force of others, their “Aura”, as a glow around them. The color of the glow would be the same as what color their magic would be when visually compared with Unicorns and Alicorns. While she expected to see the glow around the archeologists, what she saw inside the crystal she only half expected.

Within the crystal, around the still form of the Pegasus, was a faint glow, too small to properly determine the color of, but it was there, barely.

Twilight gasped, “That Pegusus is still alive in there!”

This startled History as surely it would be impossible for someone to survive that long. “Are you sure?!? How can you tell!?” he stammered.

“I noticed a strange mix of thaumic signatures coming from the crystal, one of which I recognized as a stasis spell, so I checked to see if the Pegasus was alive or not by using an Aura Detection spell. That Pegasus still has one! That only happens when someone is ali-,”

Suddenly Twilight felt a massive thaumic spike emitting from the crystal, and judging from the reactions of the unicorns nearby so did they.

“What was that?” one of them asked.

“I don’t kn-,” Twilight started to respond before she was once again interrupted by the crystal, this time instead of a thaumic spike, the crystal started to crack

Twilight could detect the stasis field’s signature slowly die away, along with most of the other signatures along with it as the crystal shattered in slow motion.

It was like watching a crystal explode in slow motion, except exploding crystals don’t usually have the shards that go flying off of them seemingly dissolve into thin air.

Eventually, after about 30 seconds, all of the crystal was gone and all that was left was the Pegasus slowly dropping to the ground.

Twilight was the first to move. Rushing over to the downed pony, she quickly checked his vitals, she figured that it was a he since the crystal that was obscuring the more minute details of the Pegasus’s form were now gone and the general body shape was male.

After finding a pulse and noticing that he was breathing, Twilight quickly instructed, “We need to get this Pony to a hospital, fast. I don’t think he’s strong enough to survive a teleport so I can’t take him…”

Author's Note:

I hope that the change in how I'm labeling the chapters helps remove some of the confusion...

Also, if you liked the story, please up vote
And if you didn't like the story, feel free to say why in the comment section, THEN down vote