• Published 27th Jul 2014
  • 9,289 Views, 387 Comments

Chitin - Feo Takahari



Twilight just revealed every changeling in Ponyville. There are more of them than she expected. Way more.

  • ...
31
 387
 9,289

At first, you were my sister; now I love you like a mother

Late in the afternoon on the day of the accident, quite some time after Twilight lapsed into unconsciousness, a green wheelbarrow barreled through the front doors of Ponyville Hospital. Loaded inside it was a terrified-looking donkey with one of his legs in an improvised splint. Pushing from behind were three excitable young fillies--all ponies, so far as any onlooker could tell.

“Cutie Mark Crusader Search and Rescue!” Apple Bloom shouted, and the other crusaders echoed her. It had taken an hour for whatever had changeling-fied her to wear off a little, and twenty minutes for her to figure out how to look and sound like her old self, and she was still giddy to be speaking with her old accent instead of a buzz.

An earth pony nurse met them just inside--Nurse Snowheart, Apple Bloom recalled. “What do we have here?” the mare asked, trying to look caring, but simply looking half-asleep.

“Those pegasus movers turned into changelings and dropped a piano on my leg,” the donkey explained. “Then these kids hit every bump in Ponyville bringing me here!”

“Are you dying?” Nurse Snowheart asked, her words slightly slurred from exhaustion.

“No,” the donkey said, “but--”

“Hemorrhaging?”

“No, but--”

“Stung by a manticore?”

“NO! But--”

“Please wait right there. Somepony will be with you soon.” She nearly collapsed as she turned around, but regained her balance and lumbered off.

“Come back here, you--”

“Don’t mind her,” a changeling in a familiar brown hat said. “She’s plumb tired from all the folks who’ve come through. I can take a look if you want--I know a little farm medicine.”

Apple Bloom couldn’t stop herself from staring. “Applejack?” she asked.

The changeling smiled in what was probably supposed to be a friendly display of fangs, and Apple Bloom felt a pleasant sensation surround her. It was warm and cold at the same time, like a chilled drink on a hot day, and it tasted like apples.

“Apple Bloom!” Applejack exclaimed. “I was worried sick about you! Just let me take a look at Cranky here, and then I’ll be right over.”

The exam was over quickly. Applejack knew more about hurt plants than hurt donkeys, so the most she could really do was check the splint. “It’s good work for something makeshift,” she said. “It should hold until a real doctor looks you over. I’m afraid I can’t give you anything for the pain, though--I don’t know what pony painkillers do to donkeys.” She stood behind the wheelbarrow and prepared to lift. “I’ll get you out of the entrance, just in case somepony comes rushing through--”

The doors slammed open, and Rainbow Dash zoomed by, carrying a changeling who appeared to have been bludgeoned repeatedly. She flew low enough to take Cranky’s toupee with her.

“Just in case somepony else comes rushing through,” the changeling amended.

Once Cranky was safely out of the way, Applejack returned and looked the foals over. “Thank Celestia none of you are hurt,” Applejack said. “Sweetie Belle, you should go find Rarity--she’s in here somewhere helping patients. She was afraid you were hurt or something. And Scootaloo, uh, find . . . somepony,” she lamely added.

Both fillies shuffled off, one more awkwardly than the other.

“How are you, little sis?” Applejack asked.

“Applejack . . .” Apple Bloom attempted. “Were we . . . always changelings?”

“Of course we weren’t!” Applejack said firmly. “We don’t pretend to be folks we aren’t. We just . . . had something in us, I guess. Like a seed or something.”

“Were Ma and Pa really our Ma and Pa?” Apple Bloom asked. “And what about Granny?”

Applejack’s grin was almost roguish, an unusual expression for her. “Granny’s dancing around like a little filly ‘cause she can look like she’s young again. She’s our granny all right, and that means we really came from Ma and Pa.”

More seriously, she continued, “Maybe it’s more like an allergy than a seed. Some folks can’t eat strawberries--if they try, their throats swell up. If your pa and grandpa and great-grandpa are allergic, but they never eat strawberries, you won’t know until you eat one. I guess the Apples are allergic to changeling magic, only we don’t get red and itchy, we get black and holey. But we’re still Apples, and we can still get through this.”

She nuzzled up against the younger changeling, and though her chitin was cold and hard against Apple Bloom’s disguised flesh, something about the motion was still recognizable as Applejack’s. “Don’t let anypony tell you otherwise.”

“I won’t,” Apple Bloom promised.

“Now let’s clear out of the entrance,” Applejack suggested. “I should go see how Granny’s getting along--she may look young now, but she was getting pretty wheezy last time I checked. And I ought to check on Big Mac, too.” It took Apple Bloom a moment to realize that the buzzing sound Applejack made was a giggle. Applejack, of all ponies, was giggling. “I know I shouldn’t find it funny, him being so broken up to find there aren’t any changeling stallions, but I’ve been a mare since I was born--he can at least handle it until he heals up enough to try changing.”

Apple Bloom followed her transformed sister deeper into the hospital, pondering changelings, strawberries, and Apples.

-- -- -- --

The next morning, colts and fillies filtered into Cheerilee’s classroom under the watchful eye of a royal guard, who was standing outside the front door and keeping a close watch for some unspecified threat. A couple of foals tried to converse with the guard, intrigued by the new presence, but were soon foiled by his staunch passivity. Others stayed as far away from him as possible. Apple Bloom fell into the latter category.

“Quiet down, please,” Cheerilee said. “I have an important announcement. Because of what happened yesterday, I’m moving our unit on magical creatures to now instead of spring. Today, we’ll be learning about changelings. Now, who can tell me what a changeling is?”

Snails, of all ponies, raised his hoof. “They’re monsters! They stick ponies in cocoons and eat their love!”

“That’s close, but it’s not quite right,” Cheerilee gently chided. “Changelings are actually ponies.”

A chorus of “No way!” ran through the class.

“Yes, it’s true,” Cheerilee said. “Every changeling is born a pony, just like you or me.” She pulled the top sheet from the easel at the front of the class, revealing a diagram of the possibilities. “She can grow up, get a cutie mark, and be just like any other pony. But because one of her parents, or grandparents, or other ancestors was a changeling, she’ll carry their magic in their blood. If a changeling uses strong magic on her . . .” She tapped a drawing of a changeling. “She’ll change, just like that. She’ll lose her cutie mark, and all her magic will become changeling magic. But she’ll still be the same pony, with all the same memories.”

“Uh, Miss Cheerilee?” Truffle Shuffle asked. “How do you know all this? Has . . .” He fumbled for a word. “Has this stuff happened before?”

“A few times, yes,” Cheerilee explained, “though it’s always been just one or two ponies. There was one in Canterlot who became a therapist, using his magic to help ponies control their emotions. Another one in Hollow Shades became a royal guard.” There was something oddly firm in her voice. “They lived long, happy lives, even without their cutie marks. Now, class, what else can you tell me about changelings?”

Silver Spoon raised her hoof. “They don’t get cutie marks.”

Cheerilee looked confused. “Yes, that’s right. Didn’t I say that?”

Silver Spoon looked around the classroom, her eyes lingering on each of the Crusaders. A dark cloud began to build around her, but only Apple Bloom seemed to notice it. “They don’t have special talents.”

“That’s not quite--” Cheerilee began.

Silver Spoon stared into Apple Bloom’s eyes, and the force of her hatred pressed into her soul. It was a small hate, a childish one, but it tasted so vile that Apple Bloom thought she might vomit. The young changeling couldn’t stop herself from crying out, a wordless yelp that died halfway out of her throat.

“No talents at all,” Silver Spoon said. “Ever. That’s why they have to fake--”

“Stop it stop it stop it!” Diamond Tiara screamed.

The whole class stared at her in surprise. She looked tired and shaken, and her tiara was nowhere to be seen. Apple Bloom looked closely at her cutie mark--it looked smudgy, and she thought it had one less point than before.

Tentatively, afraid of more hatred, the young changeling reached out with her other senses. She felt nothing at all from Diamond Tiara, like the filly had turned into a lifelike ponnequin--or so thoroughly walled in her true emotions that she might as well be a ponnequin. She hadn’t seen anything like this since yesterday . . . since Roseluck . . .

Apple Bloom had never heard Cheerilee’s voice so cold. “You just earned detention, Silver Spoon.”

“I was just--” Silver Spoon attempted.

Cheerilee ignored her. “Let’s skip ahead a little, class. I’ve--I’ve been thinking about whether or not to do this.” She tore another sheet from the easel, revealing a more detailed diagram of a changeling. “I could just teach you from sheets like this. Or I could, well . . .” Green fire rippled across Cheerilee’s body, burning away fur and blackening skin. “This.”

Every colt and filly in the classroom suddenly drew in a breath. A few of them let it out again, yelping in surprise, while Featherweight fell out of his seat and scrambled backwards two rows. The others just sat and stared.

“I’m a changeling,” Cheerilee explained, “but I haven’t changed. I’m still your teacher. I know some ponies won’t like that, but it’s what I was meant to do, even without my cutie mark.”

Apple Bloom looked her over, then giggled.

“What is it, Apple Bloom?” Cheerilee asked, looking slightly annoyed.

“I’m sorry, Miss Cheerilee,” Apple Bloom said. “It’s just . . . you look just like my sister. Your voice is like hers, too, but you don’t say the words the same way. It’s kind of funny to think of her talking like you.”

Silver Spoon stared at Apple Bloom. “Wait,” she asked, “you really are a changeling?”

Apple Bloom considered that, then let her disguise drop. After a few seconds, Truffle Shuffle matched her (much to her surprise--his cutie mark was perfect.) Diamond Tiara looked back and forth, apparently deciding which side of the battle line to be on, then sighed and followed suit.

Featherweight finally lost his nerve completely and ran ran out of the room. Silver Spoon turned pale through her fur, and Snips started laughing like somepony had set off a fart bomb. Most of the rest of the class just stared in silence.

Archer looked Apple Bloom up and down, as if coming to a decision, then shouted “Cool!” She got up out of her seat and walked up close. “Your skin looks like armor. Can I touch it?”

“Um, I guess so,” Apple Bloom said nervously.

Archer reached out a hoof and ran it along Apple Bloom’s cheek, almost too softly to feel. “It’s cold,” she said. “Are you cold in there, or does it keep all the heat in?”

Apple Bloom hadn’t even thought about that. “Your hoof feels warm,” she said, “so I guess I’m cold. I don’t feel cold, though. I just feel like me.”

Archer smiled, and a little bit of warmth passed from her to Apple Bloom. “I guess most ponies would say that.”

The blue filly looked over at the teacher. “I’m sorry for interrupting, Miss Cheerilee. I’ll go back to my seat now.”

“It’s all right,” Cheerilee said. “But as long as you’re out of your seat, would you please go fetch Featherweight?”

Apple Bloom took another look around the classroom. Most of the foals still looked confused, but apart from Silver Spoon, none of them seemed scared. A few were even smiling at her, though she didn’t feel much love from them.

She didn’t know what would happen next, and she knew that some ponies might never trust changelings. But at that moment, she was absolutely certain that everything would be all right.

Author's Note:

Thanks to m2pt5 and Razalon the Lizardman for editing.