• Published 26th Jul 2014
  • 2,498 Views, 102 Comments

Mind Over Magic - Thunder Quill



Every species on Equus knows of the magic pervading the landscape of Equestria. Each of the ponies races is affected differently, but no other races are affected. But what happens when a species that has never been to Equestria encounters the Magic?

  • ...
13
 102
 2,498

Chapter 4

The world returned as quickly as it had vanished, but it wasn’t the same. The walls, previously a light tan-ish and seemed to be moulded into an organic shape, were now replaced with clean-cut white stone walls. “Are you alright Canvas?” Celestia asked from right next to me, causing me to jump slightly. “First time teleporters normally feel some degree of nausea."

Slowly, I shook my head, “N-no… I feel fine, but what the hell was that!?” I exclaimed, turning to face Celestia, “What happened to Twilight’s home?”

Celestia looked slightly shocked at my outburst, but she quickly brought it back under control. “We teleported… Disappearing somewhere and reappearing somewhere else.” She told me, “It’s something that any magic user can do, with extreme study. Most unicorns can’t use it to teleport more than a quarter mile, and a strong one maybe double that. It takes the power of an Alicorn to go any more than that, and even we’re limited to about from Canterlot to Ponyville.”

I didn’t reply for a moment, taking all that in. “Where are we now?”

“This is the room that you’ll be staying in while you stay in the palace Celestia informed me, prompting me to look around. A bed lay against one corner, with a bedside table next to it. In the opposite corner, a dresser stood against the wall, presumably empty. On another wall, a doorway stood slightly ajar, revealing a white toilet and sink. ’That’s probably the bathroom… I thought to myself. Directly across from where I stood, a clear glass door opened to a balcony, and on the wall opposite that, large double doors stood closed.

After looking around, I turned back to Celestia, confused on one little detail, “Why give me such an elaborate room?” I asked, “I’m sure this must be a room for delegates and representatives."

Celestia raised an eyebrow at my vocabulary, but said nothing about it. Instead, she smiled, “But if you think about it, you are a representative. You’re representing the human race, even if you’re not fully sure what they really are.”

I thought for a moment, mulling over that information, “That's… somewhat exploiting a loophole, if I’m not wrong…”

Celestia's smile grew, “Not at all. It’s simply regulations. First contact with an alien race requires certain measures to be taken.”

I didn’t like how she said ‘measures’, “And not all of them are for my benefit, are they?” I said, “I don’t think you’re naive enough to just let me walk around unrestricted.”

Celestia’s smile dropped, “Yes. You are correct. For the time being, you will be restricted to the palace and the palace grounds. You will have free reign while inside, apart from the restricted areas.”

I nodded, “That makes sense. I don’t even know who I am, for all anyone knows I could be an advanced scouting party for an invasion force.”

Celestia raised her eyebrow once more, “And what good would losing your memories do?”

I thought for a moment, “Could be a problem with whatever sent me here, or as part of my cover. I get friendly with everyone, earn your trust, and when the time for the invasion comes, I regain my memories and join back to my side with all the information I’ve learned throughout my stay.” I shook my head for a moment, “No… scratch that, that might not work.”

Celestia cocked her head at me, “And why is that? It sounds like a perfect cover to me.”

I looked at her, “If the people who sent me here were smart, and I’m assuming they were, they would’ve considered the possibility of me beginning to believe in your philosophies, and that I wouldn’t want to turn my back on the friends I had made here.” I shrugged, “But all of these are just theories, they can’t be proven without facts, which is something that none of us have.”

Celestia looked at me without saying anything for a moment. “There is more to you than meets the eye, isn’t there Canvas?”

I shrugged helplessly, “I don’t know Princess.”

Celestia looked into my eyes, searching for something. After a moment however, she sighed. “Well, we’ll find out eventually.” She promised me with a comforting smile. ’I wish I could believe that…’ I thought to myself. “Anyway,” Celestia continued, “I have to be going, so I’ll let you settle in. Dinner is at seven, but I will send a guard for you at five thirty. I have a feeling my sister would like to meet you.”

’Sister? I thought to myself, slightly surprised at the information, but nodded, “What time is it now?” ’I suppose it shouldn’t surprise me… It’s not like I’ve known her for any major length of time…’

“It’s currently three thirty, I recommend that you stay in your room, at least until you learn your way around.” Celestia informed me, “Maybe rest, today must’ve been exhausting.”

I shrugged, “I guess. I slept earlier, so I’m not really tired.”

Celestia fell silent for a moment, “I could have a guard show you around, if that’s alright with you.”

I nodded, “That sounds good.” I agreed, “Better than me blindly walking around the castle without knowing where the hell I am.”

Celestia nodded, “He or she will be around soon.” She informed me, moving to the door before turning back to me, “I really hope you have a pleasent stay at the castle.”

I nodded back to her, “So do I…” I said, more to myself than anything else. With one final nod, Celestia left the room. I let out a sigh, flopping down on the back, face up. ’What a day this has been…’ I thought moodily.

’Just remember, no matter how dark everything seems, there is always a light in the darkness.’ I jolted upwards as I heard the same voice from earlier, not expecting the sudden sound within my mind. A soft, melodious laugh sounded within my head, ’Calm yourself Blank Canvas.’ She said, ’I am the last thing to be panicking over right now.’

I attempted to reign in my heart, trying to stop its escape from my chest as I responded, ’Who… who are you?’

Another soft, melodious chuckle greeted my ears, metaphorically speaking. ’Yes, I suppose I owe you that much. I go by many names, but you may call me… Equa.’

'Equa?' I thought quietly to myself, trying to memorize the name, before something she said snagged me. ’What did you mean that you owe me that much?’

A massive rush of sadness hit me. ’I wish I could tell you…’ Equa said sadly, ’I only hope that you forgive me once it’s all over.’

’Over!? Once what is all over!?’ I inquired, wondering what the hell she was talking about.

Equa sighed, [i]’I cannot tell you that, only that you must be ready.’ A short pause followed these words, My time is short, just be aware that things will be changing very soon. Be prepared Blank Canvas…’ Equa’s voice died down into nothing.

I didn’t know how to reply for a moment. ’...Equa?’ I called, only for no reply. ’EQUA?!’ I yelled, before groaning audibly. ’That was something…’ I thought to myself.

A loud knock at the door drew my attention. “Mr. Blank Canvas?” A female voice called from the other side of the door, “Princess Celestia sent me to give you a tour of Canterlot Castle.”

I groaned lowly, “Yeah, yeah… Gimme a minute!” I called back, slowly getting up off of the bed and walking over to the door. Opening the door, I was greeted with the sight of a light blue Pegasus with darker blue eyes. Her body was covered in a white and gold suit of armor, and her hair was a light violet. As I looked over her quickly, I noticed her eyes widening slightly. Clearly she hadn’t seen anything like me before. Wanting to make a good first impression, I gave a smile, “Uh, hello!”

The mare seemed to notice that she was staring and jolted out of her shock. “O-oh, uh, hello there sir.” She gave a bow, which I found really strange, “My name is Sunny Skye.”

I smiled at her, “Nice to meet you Sunny Skye." I said to her gently. "My name is Blank Canvas."

Sunny smiled back, most of her shock and apprehension dissipating. "It's nice to meet you."

We fall into silence. "You mentioned something about a tour?" I said before the silence could become awkward.

Her eyes widened again, "Oh right!" She exclaimed, "Princess Celestia told me to show you around Canterlot Castle if you wanted to."

I nodded, a smile on my face. "That sounds good. Lead the way Ms. Skye."

She smiled, moving out of the doorway to let me into the hallway. "Follow me please." She said as we walked away from my room.

Author's Note:

I want to apologize for both the shortness of this chapter and it's incredible lateness. I will promise you that this story will never, ever die, and that I will keep trying to work harder on this.

Once again, I am really, really, REALLY sorry about the lateness and the shortness.

Comments ( 16 )

... This one didn't work for me.
Equa... No, not keen on a world soul railroading our subject.

Blanky seems to be being shifted around by higher powers. Maybe what he was discussing with Celestia isn't that far from reality...

Needs a bit more proofreading, and nearly completely forgot about this fic. But, it's good to see it back regardless.^_^

7095714 really sorry about that. I will try to get this out before a years up.


Again...

7095280 Fair enough. What I write isn't for everyone.

Enjoy whatever else you read!

7095720 It's still a good fic. Just needs to both update more and be proofread more.

7095725 I do most of my edits myself.

Do you know anyone who might be willing to help?

7095660 Are you still enjoying my works?

7095741 With how short the chapters are, I wouldn't mind helping. You use gdocs?

7095746 yep. Mind if I pm about it after work? I'm just about to get off break. It'll be in about 2 hours, so if that doesn't work I can do it during class tomorrow.

7095746 Also, the chapters will vary from 1.5k words to 3k words, possibly going up to 4-5. Would that be an issue?

7095754 Hopefully won't. Depends on how things go, but I don't see it as a problem for the near future.

7095745
Of course!~

Its an interesting story so far, even if it doesn't update very often. I can still enjoy the new chapters when they do come around, so don't keep me waiting for too long, you hear?~

7095754

You could always use a little app I've found, called "diario", I presently use it for keeping ideas and working on any stories that pop into my head. Such as the one I've got on this site...

7097090 I have covered that in a previous comment. He doesn't know who Jesus is, it's like instinct, he said it before he came to Equestria, so he's saying it now.

Login or register to comment