• Published 25th Jul 2014
  • 768 Views, 10 Comments

Letters To Celestia - silverthorn



A newcomer in Ponyville is asked to send letters to Celestia about her discovery of the power of friendship.

  • ...
5
 10
 768

Letter 7 - Home is where the heart is...

Dear Peincess Celestia

Ah've just found out that our guest, Wandering Star, has been sending you letters for the last couple of weeks. That mare is full of surprises, as far as ah knew she still bore a grudge against Twilight for casting the tracking spell on her. After we found out about what Scootaloo had been through Star seemed more out of sort than she had been since the first week or so here. We were all, well, most of us were worried about her. Scootaloo still thinks that she broke her promise and won't listen, no matter how much we explain that she was only helping her.

There was a party to welcome Scootaloo to the clan three nights after we found out about her situation since Pinkie said it was likely to be the party of the week so she needed to prepare properly. Star stayed in her room above the barn all night. Ah've never seen her turn down Granny Smith's pie but she just stayed upstairs. All ah know is Rainbow Dash went up to talk to her for a while then came back down saying that she wouldn't say what was getting her down and that she was packing. That's when ah remembered that she was due at the hospital to check how her wing was healing two days later.

After Rarity and Twilight offered to pay any excess amount that Star owed us after her stay in hospital ah knew that she would be leaving us soon. We just didn't expect it to be so soon. Star helped Granny Smith for the morning before heading for the hospital. She said she would go to Twilight to have the tracking spell turned off before she came back to finish packing, then she would be out of our mane's for good. We were all waiting for her to come back when Big Mac told me something that made things a little clearer.

By the time Star came back from the hospital she looked less like a pony who was finally free to go where she wanted and more like somepony who had just been told she was being sent to Tartarus. She walked up to us as we stood on the stoop and put on a slight smile. “I've been given the all clear. I'll be gone within the hour”. We all watched as she walked to the barn and up the stairs before ah decided it was time to settle everything.

Ah followed her up the stairs, she was sitting on her bed, looking lost and alone in the world. She looked at me and smiled a sad smile. “Applejack, I'll be out of here in a few minutes”. She walked over to me and sighed. “Thank you for all this, thanks to all of you”. She flapped her bad wing to prove it was alright. “I guess I didn't bring anything with me when I crashed into your life”. That smile was a little less sad. “I promised I'd be gone the day that my wing was fixed”.

Ah laughed. “You've proven you can't keep a promise”.

Her frown was back. “I only promised Scootaloo I wouldn't tell anypony in Ponyville, strictly speaking Spike is a dragon”.

Ah took her chin in mah hoof and lifted her head so she could look me right in the face. “Ah'm not talking about that. Ah'm talking about what Big Mac saw the night after Scoot's party. He was walking home after having a meal with Miss Cheerilee when he saw you flying around the barn. He waited until you flew back into the window before going inside”. Ah smiled. “Why didn't you tell us your wing was healed?”.

If mah hoof wasn't making her look at me, ah reckon she would have been looking at the floor again. “I promised I would leave as soon as my wing was healed”.

“And”.

“I don't want to go, this is as close to a stable life that I've had for longer than I remember”. She was starting to cry, trying to fight it off. “I don't want to go but I made a promise so I'll be gone in a few minutes”.

Ah wiped what tears there were away, “Now listen to me, sugarlump. We spoke about this and we all agree that you can stay if you want”. Then she hugged me and the flood-gates opened. She was crying like a filly and ah was not far behind. “You'll have to move into the house”.

She shook her head. “I like it out here. The window is big enough that I can fly into here. Besides I'll lower the tone of the place if I move in the house”. At least she had a smile on her face. “If I pay for it, can I get a proper bed in here?”.

“Now, how are you going to pay for a bed, Star?”.

Star grinned like a fool. “I just worked out a job I can do”.

She was good to her word. She worked out that there are a lot of ponies in town who can't fly and she's set up as a courier to fly small items, documents and such fancy stuff. If she's on schedule she should be just short of Appleloosa, delivering a legal document for Filthy Rich. She's using our spare bedroom as an office but living in the barn. Of course, she spends a lot of time with Granny Smith if she's not on the road. She claims it's because she wants Granny to make her more of her trail rations but ah think they're both just glad for the company. Ah know that Granny Smith was showing her and Scoots our family album when I left to come to the library.

Ah spoke to Star about why she had wanted to stay in Ponyville. She told me that she didn't understand friendship when she arrived here. She had been unwilling to let anypony in. Now she understood that it's not a risk. She had a lot of friends, she's even on civil terms with Dash after what she did for Scootaloo and they are both giving her flying lessons now that Scoot has realised that Star didn't betray her by telling Spike what had happened.

Star says that she expected to get a few apples when she arrived in Ponyville, instead she's found a home. Ah guess that's all you can ask for.

Your faithful subject

Applejack

Author's Note:

That's that for this story. I have plans for more stories, which will feature more of the Mane 6 (I've got a plan for a story focussing on Rarity and Fluttershy since they got the short end off the stick when the story wrote itself to an early finish as well as a Greco-Roman Pony story that'll be like Gladiator with Ponies).

Comments ( 5 )

(Insert smiling Luna emoticon here) WHY IS THERE NO LUNA EMOTICON!?!?!

4769912
This story is still rough in some spots ( missing question marks, some misspelled words ) and could make do with a good editor. Oh, and the different colors for the speakers in the initial chapters is a nice idea, but Star's dialogue is hard to read.

All that being said, this is a fine story that needs more views. I'm going to feature it next week in Rated 'E' for Everyone and as such you've earned a favorite.

Thanks, some of the mistakes are in there on purpose (since Star is a less than practiced writer). The rest are just my being a less than practiced writer. I may do a little rewrite since I've got an idea for a sequel to this story.

I made some changes to chapter 6 to make things more fitting with the way things should be.

I finally worked out how to make the letter parts of the chapters look more like a letter.

Login or register to comment