• Published 30th Oct 2011
  • 36,605 Views, 5,030 Comments

Two's Company, Three's a Crowd - Lithe Kamitatsy



One night of fun for a certain musical pair will leave their lives upside down.

  • ...
74
 5,030
 36,605

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Sixty-Four

Vinyl sat in Octavia's hospital room for what seemed like an eternity. It felt as though time just wasn't moving fast enough. To pass the time, she thought back to all the wild adventures the two of them had been through- going back home to meet her parents, making the trip to Hoofington to meet Octavia's parents, the two trips to Ponyville and meeting the ponies that ended up becoming their close friends. She smiled at the memories she had made with Octavia, trying to picture what the future had in store for them, her mind coming back to the wedding, which was now only hours away.

I bet Octy's gonna look killer in her wedding dress, Vinyl thought. She then gave a small sigh, feeling the anxiety creeping up on her.

This isn't just another set... Vinyl thought to herself, staring at her hooves. I'm getting married tomorrow...

She looked at Octavia, who was quietly sleeping in the bed a few feet from her. Her eyes moved slightly south, coming to rest on Octavia's now much larger belly, trying to fathom the appearance of the two foals they were so anxiously expecting.

Maybe one will look like me, Vinyl thought, smiling slightly. It's okay if they end up looking like Octy, though. That means ponies'll be tripping over themselves to get at 'em, she snickered slightly. She then sighed slightly, pulling her chair closer to Octavia's bedside, gently taking one of Octavia's hooves in her own and kissing it.

What would I do without you?


Downstairs, both sets of parents sat around a small table in the cafeteria, discussing the wedding ceremony as well as procedure for when it came time for Octavia to deliver.

"Well, A' think a' least one o' us should be on-call at all times," Kester suggested.

"That's fine, Kester, but it's not like we can be awake at all hours of the day and night," Madeline stated.

"No' with tha' attitude," Kester said, eliciting a look from his wife.

"In all seriousness, perhaps Rolando and I should stay with them for the time being? I can always send post via magic when the time comes," Marianna suggested.

"I am for the idea, so long as we stay in the downstairs bedroom..." Rolando said, placing a hoof to his heart. "I daresay none of us needs to go through another one of my... episodes..." Marianna placed a hoof on her husband's shoulder.

"I am so sorry, darling... I should have been more mindful of your medication," she said softly.

"I do not blame you for a thing, dear. If anything, I should not have to be reminded to take them," Rolando said. "I honestly felt that I was over it," he said thoughtfully. "Perhaps it is time I paid another visit to my therapist..."

"It's all in yer 'ead, Roly! A' remember when A' was just a wee colt A' got stuck in a rotten log for abou'..." Kester started, taking a moment to recall the full contents of his memory. "A' want to say four... five hours?"

"His father had to pull him out by the tail," Madeline giggled. "I remember his father recounting that story and laughing," she said.

"Aye, ma' father was tough, but fair," Kester said. "A stallion with the biggest, goldest heart ye' can imagine!"

"Kester, 'goldest' is not a word," Madeline corrected.

"No' with tha' attitude," Kester repeated.

"Would you stop saying that!? That does not apply to everything!" Madeline said, slightly flustered.

"...No' with tha-" Kester started.

"Don't, you, dare," Madeline warned, her eyes narrowed at her husband. A moment of silence passed, Marianna and Rolando both curious if Kester would be stupid enough to provoke Madeline. As it turns out, he was.

"-Attitude," Kester finished, causing a grey blur to immediately latch its hooves around his tree-trunk like neck in a fruitless attempt to strangle him, causing Kester to burst out laughing.

"Why do you always insist on pushing me!?"

"Why else, love? Because A' can!" Kester laughed. This elicited a burst of strength from Madeline, Kester suddenly feeling the airflow in his throat get significantly reduced. "O-okay, Maddie, y-ye can let go!" The other couple could not help but be entertained by Kester and Madeline.

"They are so darling together," Marianna said, wrapping her foreleg around his.

"Indeed, they are quite charming," Rolando. "A wonderful addition to the family, no?"

"Absolutely!" Marianna beamed. Once the conflict had been settled, they began to coordinate the actual wedding ceremony.

"Okay, so, how are we going to play this out?" Madeline asked, wringing her hooves.

"As far as I am aware, Kester and I will be playing the music throughout the ceremony," Rolando stated. "Are we in agreement?" he asked, looking at Kester.

"O' course! A' wouldn' miss an opportunity to play a' ma' daughter's weddin'," Kester stated, resolute.

"Very good," Madeline said, withdrawing a notepad and a quill from her bag. She immediately began to jot down important points being brought up during the conversation. "So I had an idea, Marianna," Madeline said.

"Oh? Do share," Marianna said. Madeline beckoned her over and whispered the idea she had into Marianna's ear, causing the unicorn to let out an excited giggle. "Oh, that is a simply wonderful idea! I love it!"

"I'm glad," Madeline said. "I think the stallions will appreciated it," she said cryptically, causing both Rolando and Kester to look at Madeline with confused expressions.

"Oh, A' don' like it when Maddie puts on tha' face," Kester said, swallowing slightly. "Wha'ever A' did, A'm sorry," he said.

"What are you apologizing for?" Madeline asked.

"A' dunno! You tell me!" Kester said.

"How can you apologize for something you-" Madeline started. "You know what? It's fine. Apology accepted," she said, trying not to hurt her brain too much in the process. Kester let out a sigh of relief.

"Whoo! Crisis averted, eh?" he said, looking at Rolando, who shook his head, confused. He cast an expression at Madeline, who was signalling him to agree with Kester.

"Uh... yes, agreed," Rolando said, agreeing with the stallion who now had a satisfied expression. "Moving forward, do you have any suggestions on the piece you want to play, Kester?"

"A've got a couple, but A'll let you lead," he said earnestly.

"Fair enough," Rolando said.

"Okay, that takes care of physical instruments. Now, I remember Octavia mentioning she had requested singing doves as well?" Madeline said, jotting down information.

"Yes, she had requested assistance from a mare named Fluttershy," Marianna repeated.

"Dresses?"

"Vincenza told me her friend Rarity was working on them."

"Excellent. Food?"

The two mares went down the list, confirming everything was in place for the ceremony, the stallions adding their input where needed. After a little while, Rolando stood up.

"I will be back momentarily, I need some fresh air," Rolando said.

"Aye, the air's a might bit stuffy," Kester said, following suit.

The two stallions trotted outside, leaving the mares to their own devices. As they stepped outside, Rolando accidentally almost bumped into a stallion as he chatted with Kester.

"Oh, terribly sorry," Rolando apologized.

"It's quite alright," the stallion responded without looking back at Rolando, who stood there, puzzled.

"Roly, ye' really should be a lil' more careful who ye' bump into. A' don't need ta' rough anypony up a day before ma' baby's weddin'," Kester said with a hearty chuckle. He then noticed Rolando had not moved. "Ye alrigh', Roly?"

"Hm? Oh, yes, sorry... I was just... so certain I recognize that pony, but I cannot remember from where..." he said. He gave it another moment's thought, then focused on other things.


Vinyl had fallen into a deep sleep, leaning against Octavia's bedframe. Octavia slowly came to, feeling the urge to use the restroom. She nudged Vinyl awake.

"Vinyl... Vinyl, wake up," Octavia murmured, still groggy.

"Hm? You okay, Octy?" Vinyl said, waking up with a bit of a start.

"Bathroom..." Octavia mumbled. Vinyl assisted Octavia as best she could, closing the bathroom door behind her. Once Octavia had finished her business, Vinyl helped her clean up and helped her back into bed.

"Thank you, Vinyl," Octavia said, the two sharing a kiss.

Vinyl blushed, "No problem, Octy. You know I've got your back," she said, to which Octavia smiled.

"I know," Octavia replied, turning over and going back to sleep. After a little time passed, there was a gentle knock at the door. Vinyl got up and opened the door, seeing a stallion standing in the door frame.

"Uh... can I help you?"

"Yes, you can. Do you mind if I come in?"

"Do I know you?" Vinyl said, looking at the stallion. He seemed familiar, but for the life of her she couldn't remember from where.

"No, but I know you," the stallion said. Vinyl felt a chill run up her spine.

"Look buddy, you better step off before-" Vinyl started, feeling unsettled by the stallion.

"Relax, no need to get upset," he said, attempting to disarm her. "I am what you would call an 'old family friend'," he said. Vinyl then relaxed.

"Oh, I get it, you must be one of my dad's friends. He probably told everypony about the baby already. Are you looking for him?" Vinyl asked.

"Yes," the stallion answered.

"He's downstairs in the cafeteria," Vinyl said.

"Could you take me to him?" he asked. Vinyl took a look at Octavia, seeing that she was still sound asleep.

"I guess," she said. The two ponies walked to the elevator, hitting the button to take them to the cafeteria floor. "What's your name, anyway?"

"Allegretto," the stallion said as the doors shut.


Rolando and Kester had since returned to the cafeteria, rejoining their wives. They were in mid-discussion about the bridal entrance when Vinyl approached.

"Hey guys," Vinyl said.

"Oh, hello Vincenza," Marianna said with a small smile, to which Vinyl gave a groan.

"Mom..."

"I apologize," Marianna said, clearing her throat. "Hello, Vinyl," she said with a small giggle.

"Hello dear," Rolando said. "How is Octavia?"

"Oh, fine, she's sleeping. Hey, I think a friend of yours is looking for you," Vinyl said, looking at her father.

"A friend of mine?" Rolando said, puzzled. "Here?"

"Yeah, it's that guy,," she said, pointing at the stallion who had followed Vinyl out of the elevator.

"Did he say what his name was?" Rolando asked, standing up to get a better look at the stallion.

"Yeah, he said his name was-" Vinyl said, her voice fading into oblivion as Rolando finally realized who he was looking at. The stallion that stood before him was tall, gaunt, had piercing gold eyes, a dark mahogany coat, a greying mane and on his flank stood the golden pipes of an organ. Images and memories, painful memories flashed through his mind, memories he thought he had laid to rest decades ago rushing to the surface as his blood ran cold.

"-Allegretto," Vinyl said, the name reverberating endlessly in Rolando's mind.

"Hello... brother," Allegretto said.

PreviousChapters Next