• Published 30th Oct 2011
  • 36,614 Views, 5,030 Comments

Two's Company, Three's a Crowd - Lithe Kamitatsy



One night of fun for a certain musical pair will leave their lives upside down.

  • ...
74
 5,030
 36,614

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Forty-Two

Vinyl woke up at the crack of dawn, quickly slipping out of bed without disturbing Octavia. Bonbon had done the same with Lyra, quickly going into one of the drawers and retrieving a scarf from within. The two met downstairs, and quietly slipped out the front door into the early morning light.

"This is going to be so much fun, Vinyl! What do you have in mind to get Octavia for the Winter Moon Holiday?"

"Yeah, I've got something in mind, but it's a bit of a secret...what about you, Bonbon?"

"Well, Lyra had mentioned to me that her lyre was old and coming apart, so I've been slowly saving my bits so I can buy her a new one," Bonbon smiled.

"I'm sure Lyra will go nuts over it," Vinyl said. "My gift is a little smaller, and will cost a lot of bits...but I think it'll be worth it," she added. She then turned to Bonbon with a blush. "Bonnie...would you mind helping me pick out an engagement earring for Octy?"

"An engagement earring!?" Bonbon exclaimed. "I-I've never been asked that before! Didn't you already propose, though?"

"Well, the thing is...is when I proposed to Octy, I just said it and that was it. I felt like something was missing, so...I wanna give her an engagement earring to go with it. I'm also going to re-propose...if I can even do that..." Vinyl said with a light blush.

"Aww, Vinyl! You are just adorable! Of course I'll help you- on one condition. I could use your musical expertise on picking out a lyre. I'm not exactly learned in that area," Bonbon said, chuckling sheepishly.

"Sure thing, Bonnie! We'll take care of it no problem," Vinyl said, fanning a hoof at Bonbon. "Let's get moving, we're burning daylight," she said. The two then began to make her way towards the only instrument store in town- Chord Progression. The two entered the store, and marveled at the sight: instruments lined the walls, sound equipment as well as mixing equipment on display as far as the eye could see.

"Can I help you?" A male voice said as a brown stallion with green eyes and a guitar cutie mark made his way out from behind a rack of guitars.

"Hello Bluegrass, how are you doing this morning?"

"Oh, hey there Miss Bonbon. What can I get for you today?" He asked with a smile.

"No need to worry about me. I have my friend here to help me," Bonbon said as she gestured to Vinyl, who gave a wave.

"Hiya!" Vinyl said.

"I know you! You're that DJ-PON3 filly that's been getting crazy popularity at your sets! It's pretty cool to have you in my store," Bluegrass said with a twinge of excitement.

"No sweat, Bluegrass. Where do you keep your lyres?"

"In the back near the harps," Bluegrass pointed. "You need anything just let me know, alright?" The two mares nodded in acknowledgement, and made their way towards the back of the shop. They found the wall they were looking for, looking at the many different sizes and shapes of lyres Bluegrass had available.

"Okay, now. What do you know about the lyre that Lyra uses?"

"Well, I know it's similar to that shape," Bonbon said, pointing at one in particular that was identical to Lyra's.

"That it?"

"...Yeah..." Bonbon said, dejected. Vinyl patted her on the back.

"No need to get down! Let's take a look. Now, judging by what I've heard of Lyra's playing, she focuses more on plucking than actual strumming, so we're going to want one that resonates better when you pluck at it," Vinyl said as she used her magic to move one of the lyres down to their level. She plucked a few strings with the tip of her hoof, and shook her head. "This one's strings ring too much. Let's try another."

*~*~*

After trying nearly every lyre on the wall, Vinyl sighed. "Looks like we're out of options...I mean, there's one left, but it's exactly like Lyra's old one..." she said. She looked at Bonbon, who was staring intently at the little lyre.

"Vinyl, bring that one down..." Bonbon asked.

"Sure," Vinyl brought the lyre down from the wall. "I dunno what difference this will make, but-" She plucked the string, and found that it sounded exactly like Lyra's old one. "...You knew, didn't you?"

Bonbon gave a small smile. "I knew it would sound just like it," she said as she inspected each facet of it. "It's the exact same model as Lyra's...I'm buying this."

"Alright, let's take it up to Bluegrass." The two made their way up to the front counter, where Bluegrass was reading a magazine on current musicians and artists.

"Find what you were looking for, Miss Bonbon?" Bluegrass asked.

"Found exactly what I was looking for," Bonbon said with a smile as she placed the lyre on the counter. "How much do I owe you, Bluegrass?"

Bluegrass punched the ID tag number into the register, and the ticker on the front of the register stopped. "That'll be three hundred bits." Bonbon's smile quickly disappeared. "...I didn't save up enough...I've only got two hundred..." Vinyl looked at Bonbon, who looked close to tears.

"Hey Bluegrass, do you get customers often?" Vinyl asked.

"Not as often as I would like, but I manage. Why do you ask?"

"You give Bonbon a discount, and I'll give you a name-drop at my next set. I'll tell them all about how you give great service, quality instruments, and you're willing to talk discounts. All you gotta do is accept what Bonbon has on her right now. That sound fair?" Vinyl said.

Bluegrass thought about it, and no matter how many times he did, the prospect of losing a hundred bits to earn thousands more through Vinyl was too good an offer to pass up. "You've got yourself a deal," Bluegrass said with a smile. Bonbon's smile returned almost instantaneously, unbelievably grateful for Vinyl's act of kindness. She paid for the lyre, had it wrapped, and the two left the store. To Vinyl's surprise, Bonbon locked her in a tight embrace.

"Thank you so much, Vinyl...you have no idea how grateful I am for what you did..." Bonbon said with a sniffle.

"No problem, Bonnie. It's what friends do," Vinyl grinned. "So which way is the nearest jewelry store?"

"It's right nearby. Rarity recommended it to me one time and it has an incredible selection. It's not cheap, though...do you have the bits to buy what you have in mind?" Bonbon asked.

"Yeah, actually. I'm going to use the bits I earned at my last gig," Vinyl said as they walked.

"How much did you earn?"

"Around three thousand bits," Vinyl said simply.

"Th-three thousand?! That could take care of us for a month!" Bonbon said, bringing a hoof to her mouth in shock.

"Yeah well, I did this stallion that owned a club a favor by filling in for another DJ that got sick, so I did his set and mine, so I got paid for both," Vinyl grinned. The two of them entered the jewelry store, a strikingly beautiful mare with a long, deep red mane, bright blue eyes and three differently shaped gemstones for a cutie mark stood near the back, polishing the display cases.

"Good morning, ladies and welcome to the Brilliant Cut Jewelry Boutique. I am Rosette Cut, the store's owner and operator. How may I assist you this morning?" she asked in a smooth voice as she made her way over to them.

"I'm looking for an engagement earring," Vinyl said.

"Oh, how unique! A stallion sending the love of his life to pick out her own engagement earring, how wonderful!"

"Uh, actually...I'm buying it for my marefriend," Vinyl interrupted. Rosette stopped short, looking at her with wide eyes.

"I am SO sorry! I did not mean to offend you. Please, have a look around. If you need anything of me, do not hesitate to ask," she said cheerily, moving away from them to continue cleaning cases. Vinyl looked through the different cases, which sported necklaces, broaches, chokers, and bracelets with prices that were nothing to sneeze at. She and Bonbon made their way over to the section with the engagement earrings, and began to carefully examine each one.

"Hmm...none of these are what I picture Octavia to wear. They're all huge and covered with other stones. I wanted to get her something a little simpler, that way the stone makes HER more beautiful, not the other way around," Vinyl said thoughtfully.

"I agree. Octavia seems like the type of mare that wears something simple but elegant. I see her wearing something like this," Bonbon said, pointing at one particular earring. It was a trilliant cut ruby that had two diamonds on each side with a silver band.

"Hmm. It's pretty, but not the right color..." Vinyl said, looking through the rest.

*~*~*

The two spent two hours mulling over what they felt would be best, until Vinyl happened across one that was somewhat near the back.

"Rosette, do you mind if I see one of these earrings?" Vinyl asked.

"Absolutely! Just give me one moment," she said. She moved behind the case, and using a special key she slid the glass aside, pulling out the earring and setting the case in front of Vinyl. "Is this the one?"

Vinyl looked at it closely. It was a very simple earring- a brilliant cut amethyst that had a small ring of diamonds around the central gemstone, with a white gold band.

"Yeah, this is it..." Vinyl said. "Bonnie, come look at this." Bonbon made her way over to Vinyl, and gasped.

"Oh, Vinyl it's lovely...Octavia will love it," Bonbon smiled.

"I'll take this one. How much?" Vinyl asked.

"This one is actually on sale for twelve hundred bits," Rosette said. "Normally it would be around twenty-one hundred, but it was overlooked by many of the patrons so I marked it down. I myself love this earring, and I am sure that your marefriend will be overjoyed when you present her with this," Rosette smiled. Vinyl reached into her saddlebags and retrieved a pouch from within.

"Twelve hundred and fifty bits. Keep the change," Vinyl winked as she set the pouch down.

"Thank you so much, Miss Vinyl! Would you like it gift-wrapped?" Rosette asked.

"Yes please," Vinyl said. A few moments later, Rosette reappeared with the gift.

"Is there anything else I can help you out with?" she asked.

"No thanks, you've helped us enough. Have a good one!" Vinyl said as she exited the store with Bonbon.

"Same to you," she returned as she went back to her work. Vinyl and Bonbon walked about town, which was already very lively as the sun hung overhead. Vinyl felt her stomach rumble- it was right around lunchtime. "Hey Bonnie, wanna go get some lunch? My treat!"

"I'd love to," Bonbon said. The two made their way to a nearby restaurant, sitting and eating lunch together, closer to one another as friends than ever. Octavia and Vinyl's time in Ponyville quickly came to an end, and they bid their friends goodbye as they left to Canterlot to prepare for their third trip to Ponyville, where they would come to stay.

PreviousChapters Next