• Published 30th Oct 2011
  • 36,607 Views, 5,030 Comments

Two's Company, Three's a Crowd - Lithe Kamitatsy



One night of fun for a certain musical pair will leave their lives upside down.

  • ...
74
 5,030
 36,607

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Thirty-One

"Are you sure you don't need anything else?" Madeline asked, filling up Octavia's saddlebags with whatever she could think of that she might need.

"I am positive, Mother. We have everything we need." Octavia sighed, allowing her mother to dote a little more before they left.

"Don't forget the letter I wrote. It's crucial that Marianna and I communicate over this. You also need to deliver the news of the wedding to them so that they can begin to make arrangements as well." Madeline instructed.

"Yes Mother. I know what to do." Octavia smiled. "No need to worry so much."

"It's wha' we do, dear. Soon enough, ye'll understand." Kester winked. "Vinyl, A'm trustin' ma' daughter to ye. Ye've proved capable o' protectin' her thus far. Keep up the good work," he smiled, nudging her shoulder with a hoof.

"You got it, Kester. She's just as important to me as she is to you, so you don't have worry." Vinyl grinned, taking her place at Octavia's side.

"Take care, Mother. We will send mail once we are settled into our new home." Octavia said, moving over and giving her mother a hug.

"Be safe." Madeline said softly, returning the embrace. Kester scooped Vinyl into a bone-crushing hug, setting her down a moment later when he heard her breathing stop.

"Sorry abou' tha'. Sometimes A' don' know ma' own strength." Kester chuckled.

"I think one of my ribs is broken..." Vinyl coughed, her breathing slowly returning to normal. Kester then trotted over to Octavia, smiling proudly. Octavia threw her forelegs around her father's neck, hugging him tightly.

"A'm so proud of ye, Octavia...ye just don' know," Kester whispered softly, giving Octavia a small kiss on the side of her head.

"Thank you, Papa." Octavia replied softly.

"Remember what A' tol' ye. Stay safe, and stay out o' trouble." Kester said. "Yer mother an' A' will be by ta' visit soon."

"Of course, Papa. We would be more than happy to have you." Octavia smiled as they made their way to the front door. She and Vinyl exited the house, heading down the steps to where the carriage was waiting. Kester and Madeline stood out on the front step, watching as they entered the carriage.

"Ma' little 'Tavi's all grown up." Kester said, feeling his chest tighten as he bit his lip. He took a few deep breaths, and smiled. A few tears escaped, but the giant, proud smile he had on his face belied the fact that every memory of Octavia's fillyhood was rushing through his mind. Madeline leaned against him for support, shedding a few tears of her own. The carriage departed from Hoofington, making its way towards Ponyville once more.

"So Octy, what kind of wedding do you think you want?" Vinyl asked.

"Hmm...I was thinking something more traditional. In a church or chapel of some sort, roses and other flowers decorating the aisles, a soft classical piece playing in the background as we walk up the aisle..." Octavia said dreamily, recounting what she had envisioned for her perfect wedding. She looked over at Vinyl, and raised an eyebrow when Vinyl looked completely nonplussed.

"Okay, now that we're done talking about how your GRANDMA'S wedding, let's talk current day." Vinyl said bluntly.

"What, like you have something better in mind?" Octavia asked.

"I was just gonna let Pinkie take care of it." Vinyl said, leaning back against the carriage. Octavia's jaw dropped, remembering how wild the party back in Ponyville was.

"ABSOLUTELY NOT!" Octavia yelled. "She can plan the reception, but NOT the actual ceremony!"

"Woah, woah! No need to get so mad, Octy. It was just a suggestion." Vinyl said, raising her hooves.

"I'll have to talk to Rarity about a wedding dress...I wonder how much it will cost to have her make one. She gave me the dress to the party, so I will not take no for an answer if she tries to gift me the wedding dress as well."

"I guess I'm wearing a suit then, or am I wearing a dress too?" Vinyl wondered.

"I would prefer a dress, but whatever you feel most comfortable in." Octavia responded, retrieving a notepad and a pen from her saddlebag and jotting down her thoughts.

"You don't wanna give me that option, Octy." Vinyl smirked, her mind running rampant with possible wedding attire.

"What do you mean, Vinyl? This is our wedding we are speaking about here. I have been dreaming of my wedding since I was a filly, and I will not allow you to ruin it- even if you are the pony I am getting married to!" Octavia growled, staring directly at Vinyl.

"I was just gonna say I was coming au naturale, but now that you mention it..." Vinyl smirked mischievously, rubbing her chin with a hoof as the possibilities surged through her mind.

"Vinyl, I swear to Celestia if you ruin this for me-" Octavia was silenced as Vinyl placed a hoof to her mouth.

"Oh no, not ruin. Make better," she grinned, removing her hoof from Octavia's mouth.

"Somehow, I think that your definition of 'better' is more along the lines of 'natural disaster', Vinyl."

"Yeah, but it'll be an awesome disaster."

"No disaster is 'awesome', Vinyl!" Octavia said forcefully.

"Not until I get done with it."

"Ugh, you are incorrigible!"

"Incorrigible, or unstoppable?" Vinyl raised an eyebrow.

"Those words have NOTHING in common!" Octavia yelled, in awe at how she could take two words that had such different meanings as similar.

"Oh, you'll see, Octy...you'll see." Vinyl nodded with a smirk. Octavia shook her head, unable to comprehend what was going on behind those ruby red eyes. "That reminds me, who's gonna do the music?"

"I was thinking that our fathers could perform together." Octavia said. She blinked in surprise when Vinyl shifted forward in her seat.

"Trust me, Octy. Bad idea." Vinyl said.

"Why is that a bad idea? A harp and a violin compliment one another beautifully." Octavia reasoned, unable to see the issue.

"Sure, the instruments are good together, but what about the ponies USING the instruments? As much as I argue and fight with my dad, I don't wanna see your dad take him down because he made a snooty comment." Vinyl said, leaning back in her seat.

"My father is not the pony to let that kind of thing get to him. You have nothing to worry about." Octavia said, waving it off with a hoof.

"If you say so...I know how my dad can get, but if this is what you want, then go ahead." Vinyl said. "Don't say I didn't warn you, though..."

"I heard from Twilight that there are a trio of mares that can do floral arrangements, so I will go speak to them myself. Vinyl, I need you to go talk to Rainbow Dash and tell her to make sure that the weather is clear that day. I also need you to talk to Fluttershy to see if she can get some doves..."

"You're really putting some thought into it, aren't you?" Vinyl said, impressed.

"I want this to be perfect, Vinyl...it's my wedding day, and I want it to be special. It's the day that will make what we have permanent..." Octavia said with a blush. Vinyl blinked, blushing as well, smiling softly.

"Yeah...you're right Octy. I guess I should be taking this a little more seriously." Vinyl said, scratching the back of her head with a hoof.

"Well, to be honest, I would have found it strange of you not to find a way to make it more 'crazy' or more 'awesome' as you put it." Octavia admitted. A small bout of silence passed between them as Octavia continued to write down more ideas that came to her, when Vinyl spoke up again.

"Hmmm...I guess I wouldn't mind wearing a dress...just this once." Vinyl blushed. Octavia practically flew out of her seat, pulling Vinyl into a crushing embrace.

"Thank you so much Vinyl! You have no idea how much this means to me..." Octavia said as she hugged her tightly.

"Yeah, that's why I'm doing it." Vinyl chuckled, returning the embrace.

"Okay, so that makes two dresses, taking care of the weather...oh, catering! I will definitely talk to Mrs. Cake about that, and perhaps Applejack. If her apple syrup is any indication, the mare knows her way around the kitchen." Octavia said, excitedly jotting down more things to do while in town. Vinyl chuckled to herself, watching Octavia go about her planning.

"You're pretty cute when you get all excited." Vinyl said, to which Octavia blushed.

"Do not get used to it...this is a special occasion, so I am handling it with a special type of care."

"Right, right." Vinyl smirked, leaning back to take a nap. "Wake me up when we get there."

"Mhm..." Octavia said, concentrating on her list of things to do.

The carriage continued on its way to Ponyville, Celestia's sun shining brightly in the mid-morning sky.

PreviousChapters Next