• Published 30th Oct 2011
  • 36,607 Views, 5,030 Comments

Two's Company, Three's a Crowd - Lithe Kamitatsy



One night of fun for a certain musical pair will leave their lives upside down.

  • ...
74
 5,030
 36,607

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Nine

The pair entered the dining hall first.

Celestia's morning sun shimmered down through the large windows, the bright light reflecting off the polished surface of the massive mahogany wood table. The silverware and china were already set out for breakfast, and the smell of the food cooking gently wafted in from the kitchen, filling the air with a delicious aroma. Octavia and Vinyl took the same seats as they had the night previous. Octavia quickly checked the spot where she slammed her hooves down for damage, sighing in relief when she saw there was none.

"...The amount of bits necessary to fix damage on a table like this would be able to fund my ensemble's concerts for the remainder of ALL our lives..." Octavia mumbled to herself, thankful that she wouldn't be going bankrupt any time soon.

"Hm? You say something, Octy?" Vinyl asked, looking over at her. "You've been staring at the table for a few minutes now. You looked like you were going to cry."

"Oh...no need to worry, Vinyl. I am just thankful I will be holding on to my hard-earned bits for a while longer. I was terrified I had damaged your parent's table in my fit last night." She said, relaxing in her seat.

"I get ya. I remember when my parents bought this table. As for you hitting the table, I'm gonna say it again. You were pretty sexy last night." Vinyl laughed.

"Oh, that is quite enough, Vinyl! I would rather not remember how childish I acted in front of your parents, thank you very much." Octavia chided.

"You can get angry at me all you want if it means leading to fun time." Vinyl said, raising her eyebrow and smirking in just the way Octavia found irritating, just for the sake of irritating her. It worked.

"Careful, Vinyl...you just may get what you wish for, and not the way you intend." Octavia warned, her right hoof dangerously close to the butter-knife.

"Good morning, girls!" A cheery voice said from behind them. The pair turned around to see Marianna and Rolando standing in the doorway.

"Oh, I find the way they argue to be so endearing~" Marianna giggled.

"I trust you two slept peacefully last night? I know last night was difficult for all of us, so I pray you two were able to relax." Rolando said. This surprised Octavia, judging by what Marianna had told her earlier in the baths.

Marianna face-hoofed. "Truly you sleep like a boulder." She said. "No matter. Shall we sit down for breakfast? I would like to spend as much time with them before they leave to Hoofington." She said, leading her husband around the table.

The pair sat down across from Octavia and Vinyl, Sebastian bringing their meals out a moment later.

"Fresh eggs cooked sunny-side up, garnished with chives. Served with a fresh glass of ice-cold milk and a cinnamon and creme cheese danish. Bon appetit." He said, bowing out.

As they ate, Rolando spoke up. "So your parents live in Hoofington, Octavia? That is quite a good distance away. I will have a carriage prepared to take you to your home." He said matter-of-factly, taking a sip of his milk.

Octavia blinked in surprise. "Oh, that is not necessary, Rolando. I am perfectly content going by hoof-" She was cut off when Rolando raised a hoof.

"Absolutely not. I will not allow you to exhaust yourself while carrying my grand-foal, and that is all I will say on the matter." He said, raising his chin and smirking slightly. Vinyl smiled wide, proud of her father for making such a helpful contribution.

Octavia smiled. "I will be more than happy to take the carriage. Thank you, Rolando." She said, bowing her head slightly in thanks.

"It is of no trouble at all, dear. Now, I understand that you are due in September?" He asked, taking a bite of his eggs.

Octavia swallowed what remained of her danish, washing it down with a bit of milk, then beginning to speak.

"According to the doctor, yes. He wants me to visit him once a month to monitor the foal's growth, seeing as I am the first mother to give birth to a magically-conceived foal in decades..."

"Is that so? How interesting...tell me. How does that happen?" Rolando asked, curious to know.

Octavia shrugged. "I would tell you if I myself knew. The doctor gave me no clear answer, and apparently it has been a while since this has happened to anypony, so I can imagine documentation is rare...however, I do have something in mind." She said.

"Oh? Do tell." He said, interested.

"Well, I have heard talk that Princess Celestia's star pupil currently lives in Ponyville, and the path to Hoofington goes through Ponyville, so I intend to ask her about it while we are there. Vinyl- I mean, Vincenza has an acquaintance there that she believes will allow us to stay the night."

"I see..." Rolando said, raising a hoof to his chin in thought. "Wait...you said Celestia's star pupil lives in Ponyville? So THAT is where Twilight Sparkle lives now. What a charming young mare, that Twilight. We were all wondering where she had gone when we stopped seeing her by the Princess' side. I am sure the Princess has her reasons. I am sure she will be more than willing to help you with whatever you need." He reassured.

"I will keep that in mind, thank you." Octavia said, working on her eggs.

It was then Marianna's turn to speak. "So, have you two decided on a name yet?" She asked. Octavia and Vinyl looked at one another, and shrugged. "Well, we haven't really thought about it. The last couple of days have been kinda outta control, so we haven't really had the time to think about it. Either way, it's not like we'll know if it's a colt or a filly until it's born, so we'll probably leave it up to the surprise." She said.

Marianna thought about it, and nodded. "Fair enough...remember what we discussed Octavia, I am holding the foaling shower. Be sure to have your mother send me a letter so we can coordinate." She said with a warm smile.

Octavia smiled in return. "Of course Marianna, I will do just that."

With breakfast finished, the four made their way to the grand foyer, standing near the door. Sebastian arrived a moment later with two saddlebags filled to the brim with items. "I took the liberty to have Sebastian load up some saddlebags for you two. Two sweaters in case you get cold, some snacks in case you get hungry, some bottles of water and bits in case you need to buy things while you are out."

"Thanks Mom, this is great." Vinyl said, giving her mother a quick hug. Octavia trotted over to Marianna, and gave her a hug as well.

"Thank you so much, Marianna. You have been so kind to me." She said.

"Think nothing of it, dear...you are family now after all." She winked.

"I will be sure to have my mother send you a letter as soon as I arrive." Octavia said with a smile.

Vinyl trotted up to her father and looked him in the eye.

"...You have grown so much, Vincenza...I am so proud of you. Be safe." He said, moving over to his daughter and pulling her into a tight embrace.

"Yeah...I will..." She said, returning the embrace. "I love you, Dad."

"I love you too, sweetheart." He said softly, giving her a kiss on the top of her head.

"The carriage has arrived, Master Rolando." Sebastian said, holding the door open.

The Staccato's watched as the two mares cantered away, talking to one another as they did. Marianna chuckled when she saw Octavia bump Vinyl's shoulder in annoyance. "They are so good together...right dear?" The only response she got was sniffling.

When she looked up, Rolando was biting his lip, making a futile attempt at holding back tears as he watched his daughter canter away. "Oh, dearest. There is no need to cry...they will be just fine." Marianna said, doing her best to soothe her husband's pain.

"She is all grown up...she is starting her own family now...I remember the day she was born, Marianna..." He said, his voice cracking slightly.

"I know dear, which is why you need to be happy for her, and be the best grandfather you can possibly be. Come now, let us wave them off with smiles." She said.

The two young mares entered the carriage and looked back, waving happily. Marianna and Roland waved them off, watching as the carriage disappeared from view.

"They will be fine, Rolando...you will see." Marianna said comfortingly, ushering her heart-broken husband back inside.

PreviousChapters Next