• Published 26th Jul 2014
  • 3,956 Views, 407 Comments

Scootaloo Will Fly! - MyHobby



Late bloomer? Small wings? No magic? Bull. Scootaloo's decided she wants to fly, and nothing's gonna stand in her way. Except maybe gravity.

  • ...
3
 407
 3,956

Do I Need to Spell it Out for You?

The air smelled nice after a good storm. Earthy. Damp. Cool. As long as she stepped around worms in the road, Scootaloo enjoyed the post-storm pickup. Gather branches that fell on the ground, sweep off the porch, dry the clothes left on the clothesline…

And then repair the lightning damage. Lightning rods were an excellent precaution on rooftops. Every building in Ponyville had one, and they’d saved many homes from utter destruction. Not everything had a lightning rod, though. The wagon parked outside of Quills and Sofas, for instance, did not.

Scootaloo kicked the pile of burnt wood. “So much for the Scootsmobile.”

“Coulda been worse,” Apple Bloom said. She hefted a few pieces into the Apple family’s market cart. “Th’ fahr coulda spread to yer house before the rain put it out.”

“Yeah, or it could have been loaded with griffon spark powder.” Scootaloo tossed a blackened board on top of the others. “Or hay, at least it was lightning and not, say, a dragon attack. We could spend all day thinking of worse worst-case scenarios.”

“Okay, okay, don’t get yer feathers fluffed.” Apple Bloom hitched herself to the cart. “It’s just a wagon. We can build another.”

Scootaloo sat down. “I liked this old cart. May she rest in pieces.”

“Heck, ah’ll even let yah paint the next one.” Apple Bloom tapped her chin. “You think Sweetie’d go fer flame decals?”

“Do we wanna jinx another cart?” Scootaloo asked. “’Cause a flame paintjob after the last cart burnt down is kinda jinx-y.”

“Better ’n lightnin’ bolts.” Apple Bloom snickered. “See yah at the theater tonight.”

“Yeah, see yah.” Scootaloo watched her walk away, the debris in tow. Once she was gone, the pegasus leaped onto the roof of Quills and Sofas to brush the gunk out of the gutters and the junk off of the shingles.

With that job complete, Scootaloo noted the position of the sun as it peeked through the clouds. Two-o’-clock. Sweetie Belle would be closing her shop in a half-hour to get an early start to the evening. Specifically, the three-thirty show time.

Scootaloo flicked her scooter, and it unfolded with a snap. She didn’t really need to take it out for the short ride to Carousel Boutique, but she felt the need to get some wind beneath her wings. She did a doughnut in front of the shop, kicked off the back of the scooter, and let it fold up onto her back. She almost knocked before walking in by force of habit. The “open” sign brought her back to her senses.

Nopony was in the front room. The whole shop felt hushed as Scootaloo stepped inside. Even the bell that jingled when closed the door behind her sounded quiet. “Sweetie, are you in here? Are you home?”

She walked over to the waiting area and sat on one of the comfy seats. A new delivery of fashion magazines sat on the table, still held together with string. Scootaloo snapped the string with her teeth and arranged the magazines in what she thought was a nice pattern. She placed the one with Rarity’s face on the cover in the middle. From the looks of the article blurbs, she was doing very well for herself in Canterlot. Obnoxiously well. Designing-dresses-for-the-princesses well.

Scootaloo figured it was only a matter of time before Sweetie Belle appeared on a cover, too.

Her ears twitched at the sound of a voice. It didn’t rise above the hush of the shop, but added to it. It whispered as though it was afraid to be heard.

“Sweetie?” Scootaloo stood and walked around the room. The voice was coming from the back of the Boutique, the inspiration room. “Sweetie? You in there?”

She pressed her ear against the door and listened.

“There’s a tale that’s long been told
Of three friends in days of old
Who could not be torn apart
From the song within their heart”

Scootaloo eased the door open. Sweetie Belle stood in the middle of the room, levitating bits and pieces of fabric. Her eyes squinted over her frameless glasses as she threaded a needle. It swam through the fabric on the ponnequin, cinching it together. Her voice sang clearly as she worked, even if she kept it almost too quiet to hear.

“With her strong hooves on the ground
And her head within the clouds
She stood like a mountain tall
Holding out her love for all”

Scootaloo put one hoof in the room. She tripped on the trim separating the hardwood floor from the linoleum-floored showroom. Her hoof came down with a clomp, startling Sweetie.

The unicorn dropped the needle and jumped back. “Scoot—Scootaloo! What are you doing here?”

“I came to pick up Fluttershy’s dress for delivery.” Scootaloo smirked. “Why? What are you doing here?”

Sweetie patted a cloth against her forehead. “Apparently being stalked by one of my best friends. You could have knocked.”

“Sorry. The sign outside said ‘open,’ so…” Scootaloo shrugged. She walked over to the ponnequin and looked over its flowing blues and subtle yellows. “This the birthday dress?”

“No, that’s a… special project.” Sweetie lit her horn and dragged a plain brown box between them. “This one should be to the draconequus’ liking.”

“Sweet.” Scootaloo strapped the box to her back. She gave Sweetie a sideways hug. “See you at the theater tonight?”

“Of course, I always keep my appointments.” Sweetie nuzzled her cheek. “Don’t let Discord give you any horseapples, okay?”

“Tisk, Sweetie, such language.” Scootaloo laughed and trotted toward the door. She turned around halfway. “So was that a new song you’ve been working on?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Sweetie focused her gaze on the dress and returned to working on it.

“The song you were singing when I walked in.” Scootaloo extended a wing towards her. She smiled. “The one about the three nonspecific friends?”

Sweetie lowered her head. “They’re specific,” she whispered.

Scootaloo dipped her head down to try to catch Sweetie’s eyes. “Hay. It’s awesome that you’re writing songs again.”

“I’m not—” Sweetie waved a hoof. “It’s just an old one I never finished. Probably never will.” She gave a clock on the wall a pointed look. “Now unless I miss my guess, you’ve only got an hour to deliver that and get ready for the movie.” She danced her eyebrows. “And your date. Better hurry.”

Scootaloo rolled her eyes, spread her wings and ran for the door. She skidded on the linoleum as she came to a stop. She took a deep breath in. “Sweetie.”

“What?” Sweetie weaved a complex stitch into the garment. “Did I forget something?”

“Not really… kinda… maybe…” Scootaloo’s face scrunched up. “Just… Remember the promise you made to yourself?”

Sweetie’s eyes rolled to the left. “Um, wash my mouth so that I don’t scare away customers with my breath?” She shrugged.

“No, I mean the really big promise,” Scootaloo said. “You know, the really, really big promise.”

Sweetie’s mouth opened, but she stopped short of answering. She frowned as she looked at her cutie mark. The image of a silver bell sat on her flank, surrounded by music notes. Her horn sparked as she removed her glasses and rubbed her eyes. “No, Scootaloo, I didn’t forget. It’s just—”

“Hard,” Scootaloo said. “Believe me, I know. We sort of got to the part where we stop finding out who we are and start working towards who we wanna be.”

Sweetie choked out a laugh. “You really are Rainbow Junior with these speeches, you know that?”

“Well, you know.” Scootaloo backed away. “When you’re ready to talk, just give me a holler.”

Sweetie nodded as Scootaloo opened the door. “I will. Thank you.”

As she walked past a window, Scootaloo could hear soft words drifting out of the Boutique.

“There the spark lit in her breast
Shining bright to all the rest—”


Trees zipped past Scootaloo as she raced at top speed through the outskirts of Ponyville. This was where the larger houses sat: Mansions, well-to-do family homes, the occasional royal estate, and the corporate office of Barnyards Bargains. Scootaloo flicked an ear at the moving wagon parked outside and heard to a brief snippet of an argument between Diamond Tiara and Filthy Rich.

She laid her ears flat and rolled on.

Past the outskirts, through the first little bit of Whitetail Wood, and across the creek sat a tiny little cottage. The cottage was home to all animals, great and small. It was a bastion for the ill, the weak, and the tired. It was a bright light in the darkness that was the wild. For many creatures, it was home.

The sun shined through the leaves, giving the scene a yellow tinge. A pegasus flew through the branches and deposited something in a bird’s nest before landing in front of Scootaloo.

Fluttershy brushed a sweat-slicked pink mane out of her face and spat out dirt. She smiled. “Hello, Scootaloo. How are you this fine afternoon?”

“Peachy, Miss Fluttershy.” Scootaloo left her scooter leaning against the mailbox. “You got stuff all cleaned up from the storm, yet?”

Fluttershy nodded with a squint of her eyes. “Of course. Discord is always such a big help cleaning up.”

“That seems…” Scootaloo wracked her brain for the right word. “Unintuitive.”

“Maybe it is, but he doesn’t really clean up the mess.” Fluttershy motioned her closer. She whispered in her ear. “Don’t tell him I figured it out, but he just moves the mess into his private chaos room. It’s his way of keeping things in disorder.”

Scootaloo looked at Fluttershy’s cottage. “Chaos room? In there?”

“No, no, of course not.” Fluttershy pointed to a tall building close by. “Mister Wheatly didn’t leave his windmill to anypony when he died, so the city put it up for sale. Discord lives in there most of the time.”

“Aha. I guess I’d better head over there, then.” Scootaloo shifted the package on her back.

“Discord ordered something?” Fluttershy tilted her head. “What is it?”

“Just… something…” Scootaloo pressed her lips together. “Let’s call it a ‘surprise.’”

Fluttershy nodded slowly. “Not that I don’t trust Discord, but… what sort of surprise?”

“The good kind. Honest.” Scootaloo gave her a mock salute. “See you later, Miss Fluttershy. Have a good one.”

Fluttershy waved. “Take care of yourself, Scootaloo!”

A hop, skip, and a jump later, Scootaloo stood before the creaky old windmill. It rotated with the wind left over from the storm, turning the gears within. While once they had ground corn and flower, now they were little more than decoration. A few bare spots on the wall had been filled in with bricks and concrete, giving the impression that somepony had done some restoration to the aged structure. The wooden door was original, and creaked on its hinges as the locks clattered.

The door opened by itself. Scootaloo shivered.

It looked much bigger from the inside. A staircase spiraled upwards into nothing, while tiny bubbles rained from above. Flowers sprouted from rock, and the dirt floor waved as though it was water. Black light flickered in the windows, giving the white parts of her scooter a fluorescent glow. Her cutie mark, mane, and tail also took on a pastel purple shine.

“Scootaloo! What a surprise!” Discord exclaimed from all around. “I admit that I hoped Sweetie Belle would deliver the dress herself, but I won’t be too choosy when it comes to visitors!”

He inflated from the floor like a long, snaking balloon. He grinned with his snaggletooth and patted her on the head. “How’s my favorite chaos-causing pegasus crusader, hmm? Knock down any barns lately? Created a tornado that leveled the library again? Built a trebuchet that launched Sweet Apple Acres into orbit?”

Scootaloo brushed his talon off her mane. “No.”

“Splendid! Can’t let such terrible things happen to my closest friends!” He tapped his fingers together. “Speaking of such friends, is that it?”

Scootaloo handed him the package. His eyes sparkled as he held it aloft. “Excellent!” he said. “Fluttershy will be so surprised! I’m sure it’s as amazing as Rari— as Sweetie Belle promised.”

One horn glowed as he drew the dress through the brown box. It hung in the air, its reds and oranges shimmering in odd patterns in the black light. “Oh, she’ll look so nice. Don’t you think she’ll have a wonderful birthday?”

“Well, that’s sorta a question I had, Mr. Discord…” Scootaloo rubbed the back of her neck. “Fluttershy’s birthday was two months ago. You were there, I thought.”

Discord froze in place, as did the bubbles and the floor. He turned slowly to her and conjured up an ear trumpet. He stuck it in his ear. “Beg pardon?”

“Um.” Scootaloo stuck her snout into the flared end of the trumpet. “I thought Fluttershy’s birthday was two months ago. Weren’t you there?”

“Ha! You are, of course, quite mistaken. If I had been there I would have remembered…” Discord’s face dipped from haughty to concerned. “Giving her… a pendant?”

A scrapbook the size of Scootaloo appeared. He flipped through the pages until he landed on a picture of Fluttershy. It was dated to her birthday. “That’s not…” He flipped through the pages some more. “I can’t…” He snapped the book shut and tossed it into the sky, where it vanished from sight.

“Well of course I remember! I was just buying this for her next birthday. Or Hearth’s Warming. Or something.”

Scootaloo held her hooves up. “Hay, it’s okay if you just forgot. Lots of people—”

“I am a draconequus, Scootaloo. I have lived for thousands of years. I have forgotten more things than you’ll learn in several lifetimes!” He held a fist up and stared into a sunset that should not have been visible for another several hours. He lowered it as the black light returned. “I should not be forgetting a celebration from a scant few months ago.”

He rubbed his fingers together, summoning a crackle of energy. “Odd. Even for me, that’s odd.”

He narrowed his yellow eyes at Scootaloo. “What are you waiting for? A tip? Go back to Sweetie and tell her it was a job well done.”

“Well, it’s not exactly…” Scootaloo kept her wings pressed tight to her sides as she swallowed deep. “I got a question to ask you.”

“I think you mean a favor.” Discord giggled as he stretched the word out like a piece of taffy. “Go on, spit it out, what’s your problem?”

Scootaloo winced. “I didn’t really mean it like—”

“Do I look like an idiot? Don’t answer that.” Discord pulled a chalkboard down from Nowhere. There was a picture of Scootaloo, a picture of her flying complete with her flight trajectory, and finally a picture of her crashed face-first into the ground. “Anypony else would have thrown the package inside and run for it. Ponies don’t tend to hang around unless they need something.”

“I wasn’t gonna come to you either,” Scootaloo said. “But Pumpkin recommended you pretty highly.”

“Hmm.” Discord motioned for her to follow him up the staircase. As soon as she put her hoof down, the stairs climbed up by themselves. “Loose lips really do sink ships. I recall that particular daily good deed.” He flashed a glare. “Just like I recall most of what goes on around here. Pretty close to all of it, in fact.”

“Fine, fine. You remember.” Scootaloo spread her hooves out to keep herself steady. “So, you’re willing to help me fly?”

“In any way I can. I warn you that I’m no doctor.” Discord bounced a stethoscope like a yoyo. “They never sent me that mail-order medical degree, alas. I’ve had to make do with learning practically. Such as the time I removed—”

“Removed Rainbow Dash’s wings, I get it.” Scootaloo spread her wings and gave them a lazy flap. “It’s not exactly something I enjoy hearing about a million times.”

Discord turned around and continued to walk backwards. “What? When have we talked about it before?”

“Like every time we’ve run into each other this week.” Scootaloo’s eyebrows arched. “Are you feeling alright?”

Discord stared into empty space. “I’ll be right back,” he said as he splintered into glitter.

The stairs climbed forever, but she was at the top in a blink. She looked down where she came and was unable to reconcile the difference between the distance and the time spent traveling it. “This is Discord’s house alright.”

“Indeedadubitably,” Discord said. He pawed through the large scrapbook. “Yes, yes, yes, no, yes, no, yes.” He rubbed his chin and tossed the book into a fireplace. “Now, about your flying…”

Scootaloo pawed the ground. “You think you know a way to fix it? Is it even broken?”

“Scootalo, Scootaloo, Scootaloo, I haven’t even examined you yet.” The fireplace transformed into an easy chair, which Discord rested his tush in. “To have done so before, without your consent, would have been a violation of not only personal space, but of your own privacy.”

Scootaloo crossed her forelegs. “So whadda yah got?”

Discord’s neck grew to impossible lengths and craned his head down to her level. “Magic imbalance.”

Scootaloo backed away as fast as her hooves would take her. “W-what? Imbalance? Th-you-what?”

“Relax. Magic imbalance isn’t always a bad thing.” Discord counted down on his talons. “There’s an imbalance every morning sunrise, there’s an imbalance when Twilight teleports from Canterlot to Ponyville, there’s even an imbalance when Rainbow Dash performs a sonic rainboom.”

A sofa popped out from under Scootaloo and caught her in a cushion. A cup of hot chocolate appeared in her hooves. “But… but I thought imbalance was, you know, evil.”

Discord laughed and chuckled and guffawed, not necessarily in that order and probably all at the same time. “Imbalance just means that there’s more of one thing than there is of something else. In this case, magic. Don’t go telling me an imbalance in favor of fun is worse than equal parts fun and boring.”

He smirked. “True balance… is stagnation. True chaos… is destructive.”

Scootaloo scratched her mane. “So… you gotta find a balance between balance and no balance.”

“Precisely!” Discord held a finger up. He let it droop a moment later. “When you say it like that it sounds silly.”

“Okay,” Scootaloo said, “okay, but what does that have to do with flying?”

“Simply put, it’s exactly what I said,” Discord said. “You’ve got a magical imbalance.”

Scootaloo tapped her hooves together. “Is that a good imbalance or—?”

“I don’t know! I can only detect an imbalance, I can’t divine its source at first blush.” Discord popped the footrest of his chair up. “But we’ll have to talk about that later. I think you’ve got mere minutes until your date with Rumble.”

Scootaloo slurped up the last of her cocoa. “How the hay do you know about that?”

“I’m an outcast, Scootaloo. I’m not shunned.” Discord held up a framed picture of her rainbow tornado from Monday. “The grapevine trailed in here a time or two.”

Scootaloo stared at the picture. She snickered. “Public displays of affection are really public around here, I guess.”

“Quite.” Discord pulled a fedora over his eyes. “Run along now.

“And Scootaloo,” he added as she walked towards the stairs, “don’t tell anypony about our little forgetfulness talk.”

Scootaloo puffed her lower lip out. “The one where you told me in no uncertain terms that you weren’t forgetting stuff?”

“Look,” Discord said as he peeked out from under the hat. “I’ve been holding in chaos for ten, eleven years now. Maybe. It’s only natural that it’s started to seep into my brain.”

Scootaloo looked Discord up and down. “A magic imbalance in favor of chaos?”

“My, you catch on quick.” He snapped his fingers, and the doorway to the outside replaced the staircase. “When the chaos has nowhere it may go, it goes where it may. I’m sure it’s nothing big.”

Scootaloo put her hoof on the door. “What happens if it keeps going? What happens a few years down the line?”

Discord steepled his fingers. He tapped the tips together, one at a time. “I suspect someday I won’t be me anymore.”

Scootaloo let her hoof slip to the ground. “What?

“Given time, the chaos will take its toll and jumble my mind and body up so badly I won’t even know who I am.” He lowered the brim of his hat over his eyes. “It’s like I told you, Scootaloo, true chaos is destructive.”

“B-but…” Scootaloo ran up to him. “But there’s got to be a way to fix it! There’s gotta be a way to, I dunno, stop it or reverse it!”

“Of course there is,” Discord said. “All I have to do is take over Equestria and make it the Chaos Capitol of the World. Simple.” He raised an eyebrow at her slack-jawed expression. “Don’t give me that look, I’m not going to do it. I can’t.” He flapped his wings and flew off of the chair. It morphed back into a fireplace, from which he drew the book. “For the sake of six mares, I can never.”

He paged through and showed her a picture of Applejack, Lord Mayor of Ponyville. “Did you know that Applejack shows love to me? She brings me red gala apples because she knows they’re my favorite. Pinkie Pie, too, she brings me Boston cream pie. Even after everything.”

He blinked. “And Fluttershy… Fluttershy never let me down, even after I let her down. Rainbow Dash actually invited me to her celebration for joining the Wonderbolts. Rarity talks with the nobleponies in Canterlot about me, shilling my ‘improved attitude.’ Twilight…”

Discord shook his head. “Twilight gave up her magic, the thing she loves most in the world, to save my life. I can’t repay that.”

“D—” Scootaloo swallowed hard. “Isn’t the windmill an outlet for your chaos?”

“This little corner of the universe? Not nearly enough.” Discord shut the book and tucked it away into Nowhere.

He tapped his chin. “You’re really late now. Don’t you need to get dressed or put on makeup or something?”

“Uh…” Scootaloo froze. “You think you could perform some magic mumbo jumbo and make me gorgeous?”

“Nope.” Discord held out empty hands. “I can’t just create stuff, Scootaloo. You can’t get something from nothing, and Celestia frowns on theft. Besides, Rarity has told me in no uncertain terms that my sense of style is ‘atrocious.’”

Magic lifted her bodily through the doorway. She shrieked as she was cast out of the windmill and onto the grass. Scootaloo looked at the doorway as the hinges creaked and the lock bolt clattered. The windmill spun in the breeze, turning the gears that she never saw a wink of the whole time she’d been inside.

“I’m never gonna get used to him, am I?”


A very short fifteen minutes later, Scootaloo trotted down the stairs in Quills and Sofas. She had managed to put on the proper eye shadow and lipstick, though that was gonna have to do as far as makeup was concerned. Her feathers were all in their proper places, her coat was brushed, and the skirt she’d pulled out of the closet flowed nicely when she walked.

Her dad greeted her at the bottom with a hug. “You have a good time tonight, Kid. Keep out of trouble.”

Scootaloo chucked his shoulder. “Yeah right.”

Davenport walked with her, his foreleg around her shoulders. “You’d better get a move on. Rumble got here a couple minutes ago and Rosie’s been keeping him company.”

“Mom?” Scootaloo cringed. “How’s she doing?”

“Not bad, just a few shivers.” Davenport gave Scootaloo a squeeze. “She just cares for you.”

“I know.” Scootaloo rushed forward. “Pegasus filly to the rescue!”

They came to the showroom, where Rumble was nervously sipping juice. He jumped up the instant he saw her. “Scootaloo! Hi! We should probably get going. The show’s almost starting.”

Roseluck set her own glass on the table slowly. She gave Scootaloo her best reassuring smile. “You two have a good time.”

Scootaloo gave her a nod, gave her dad a wink, and dragged Rumble into the street.

Rumble struggled for a second trying to keep his balance. A flap of his wings steadied his hooves, and he set out at a brisk walk through the town. “You’re beautiful.”

Scootaloo snorted. “I threw this look together in about ten minutes. You don’t get to call it beautiful.”

“If I thought the dress was the most beautiful thing about you, I would have said your dress was beautiful.”

Scootaloo blushed. “It’s not a dress, it’s a skirt.”

Rumble frowned. “What’s the difference?”

Scootaloo rolled her eyes. She gave Rumble closer scrutiny. “Wow. You’re actually wearing a tux.”

Rumble was indeed wearing a black tuxedo, white shirt, and red bowtie. “I know we won’t be seeing much of each other in the theater, but I wanted to look nice for supper.”

“You look a little overdressed for Hayburger.”

“We aren’t eating at Hayburger.”

Scootaloo scrunched her nose up. Her eyes widened as she realized the restaurant where a tuxedo would be appropriate attire. “You didn’t—”

Rumble gave her a smug smile. “I did.”

“Are you even kidding me?” Scootaloo’s hooves did a nervous dance. “I am super-underdressed for the Silver Spoon Restaurant.”

“No you’re not.” Rumble nudged her with his shoulder. “I told you, you’re beautiful.”

Scootaloo ruffled her wings. “Maybe I feel underdressed. What do you think of that, huh?”

He kissed her cheek. The hair on the back of her neck stood up straight.

“I think it’s cute,” he said.

She smoothed the hair down, then straightened out her feathers as they almost-trotted. “I think you’re a doofus.”

“Nicest thing you’ve said all day,” he chuckled.

Scootaloo’s forehead scrunched up. She sighed. “Then, hay…”

She stood in front of him and put her hoof on his chest. She leaned forward and pressed her lips quickly, gently, against his. “Thanks.”

Rumble blinked as he stood still in the road. A goofy grin spread across his face. He let himself be led by the hoof the rest of the way to the cinema. A few figures were lined up outside.

“Hay, ’bout time the lovebirds got here,” Apple Bloom said. She wasn’t wearing any clothes, but there was an apple blossom in her mane. “You almost missed th’ three-thirty show.”

Sweetie Belle, on the other hoof, wore a simple, ruffled white dress. Her mane was slightly curlier than usual, and her face sparkled. “Rumble, I never thought I’d see you in a tuxedo.”

“Desperate times call for fancy clothes, Sweetie.” He looked down at Scootaloo. “So who got your free ticket?

“Where’s Spike at?” Scootaloo asked.

“He said he was gonna—there he is.” Apple Bloom pointed down the street.

Spike charged forward on all fours. He huffed when he got to them, his scaly chest heaving. “Sorry. Twilight. Abominations of science. Epic battle. Usual excuses.”

He reached to straighten the red bowtie on his neck. He and Rumble raised their eyebrows. “Nice tie,” they said simultaneously.

Apple Bloom jerked her head. “C’mon guys, all the good seats are gonna be taken if we wait any longer.”

“By the good seats,” Sweetie said, “I assume you are talking about the far back, where we can see everything on screen?”

“Naw, the front seats so we’re closest to the action!” Apple Bloom grinned. “Last time, I saw Russet Crow’s nose hairs during his big close-up!”

“Riveting,” Sweetie groaned.

“Clearly,” Spike said, “this calls for a middle-of-the-theater seat.”

Scootaloo snickered. “That way lies stagnation,” she said under her breath.

“What?” Rumble said.

“Ask me later.”

Sweetie led them into the cinema. She laid her ticket on the counter. “Just a lemon soda, please.”

A young stallion with a brown coat had his head in the popcorn maker. “Just a minute!” he called, his voice echoed by the glass walls. He scooped popcorn into a bucket, then returned to the counter. His eyes popped almost as much as the corn. “Sweetie!”

Sweetie Belle’s mouth moved without making a sound. Her throat constricted as she forced the word out. “Button? You work here?”

Button Mash’s spiky mane waved as he nodded. “Yeah! It’s pretty great. I’m gonna be getting lots of hours this summer, and I get to see the movies when I run the projector.” He shuffled around behind the cash register. “I didn’t expect you to ever come here. It’s not exactly high society.”

“Well…” She bit her lower lip and smiled. “A mare can be persuaded,” she giggled.

“Cool. I’m glad somepony talked you into having some fun.” He looked her ticket over. “Daring Do and the Quest for the Sapphire Stone? Really awesome movie right there.”

She shuffled in her change purse for bits. He placed the lemon soda in front of her. “Hay,” Button said, “your song Sunday was great. They always are, but, you know…”

Sweetie pushed her glasses up her snout. “Thank you. It was an old one, but a good one.”

She levitated two bits out of her purse, but he waved her off. “On the house. I hope you like the movie.”

“Thank you, Button.” She bobbed her head and hurried away.

“Do I get my popcorn on the house?” Spike asked with a laugh.

Button Mash tapped the cash register, making it ding. “Only if you eat it on the roof.”

Scootaloo tapped Sweetie on the shoulder as she passed. “What gives?” she whispered. “Just talk to him.”

Sweetie tried unsuccessfully to hide her blush. “I don’t think either of us are ready for—”

“I didn’t say propose to him,” Scootaloo said. “Talk to him.”

Sweetie brought her mouth close to Scootaloo’s ear. “When did you start giving me relationship advice?”

“When you started having relationship issues.” Scootaloo gave her a lopsided smile. “Do I need to spell it out for you? You’re spelling it out for everypony else.”

“Some other time.” Sweetie looked towards the clock. “We’re gonna miss the movie.”

Scootaloo spoke at a stage whisper as Sweetie walked away. “The movie you didn’t even want to see!”

“Shut up!” Sweetie hissed.

Author's Note:

I rewrote that conversation between Scoots and Discord four times before it came out right. Drafts and their ways, I tell you what.