• Published 23rd Jul 2014
  • 5,610 Views, 148 Comments

Pomegranate seeds - DemonWriterX



A Hades and Persephone in My little pony universe starring Discord as Hades and Fluttershy as Persephone.

  • ...
5
 148
 5,610

Release

"Release"



Hades was troubled. He had been corralling the spirits for hours. He never seen such an epidemic before and it became so much that he had to put most of the spirits in the waiting room. He suspected it would be weeks until he can get through them all. Weeks of sleepless nights. He rubbed his sore forehead as he walked along the crowded beach, telling where the spirits should go. He was surprised when a lone filly, pale blue, pulled at his cloak. Children, like most he had seen, automatically goes to the fields as he saw them. He lowered his head when he noticed she was alone and confused.

“W-where I’m I?” She asked softly. It was expected, sometimes spirits don’t even know they have passed.

Hades eyes narrowed softly and meet with her eyes. “The land of the dead.”

That shocked her. “B-but I was sleeping. I wasn’t sick. I was cold..”

“Cold?”

“Yes, I went to sleep because it was really cold.” She looked around, her eyes beginning to water. “Where is my mother?”

Hades sighed softly. “I have an idea.” He flicked his wrist and suddenly a red ball appeared in his claw. It immediately got the filly’s attention. “Why don’t you play with the other children? Go on. Take it and play on the beach, I will call you and the children when I finish up.”

“Okay!” The filly took the ball and ran off, kicking and giggling. The other children quickly took noticed and joined her. Hades smiled and watched them play. He always felt a small pain in his heart whenever he sees children enter his realm but he always bounce back when he remembers that they don’t need to go through pain and heartbreak when they become adults.

“That was nice of you.” Hades turned and found his assistant Cadmus. The small dragon had a smirk on his face, making Hades roll his eyes.

“Please.” Hades started as he straightened his back. “You know I don’t do well when foals cry. I gave them a mere distraction.”

“Sure, Boss. But no matter how much you play it off, you are still a softie.”

“A softie? I didn’t know you were a comedian.”

“I’m more of a poet, my lord.” Cadmus said proudly. Hades rolled his eyes and scoffed. “If only Miss Kore was here to see you, a god who is great with kids must be on her list on what makes an eligible husband.”

Hades scoffed and walked along the beach with Cadmus, eyeing the long line that waited for him back to his throne. “I don’t need to wow her, I already did enough of that since she will soon be my wife.”

“Hm, not soon enough, my Lord.” Cadmus said gently. “All these spirits will keep you busy for a few months.”

Hades ran a paw down his face and let out a long sigh. “Yes! It is growing quite bothersome! What in the underworld are those idiotic gods doing up there? Causing all of this….death!” He spat out the word like he would if it was a bitter almond. He looked back at the children. “I wondered what caused such...chaos.” He said out loud, stroking his beard in thought.

“Well, I’m here to help you, My lord! It is my job to keep things organized around here. Maybe I can do some sorting?” Cadmus smiled. Hades chuckled and nodded.

“If you would provide me the pleasure to elevate this headache.”

“Sure thing Boss!” Cadmus said and took off running to the crowd of spirits. Hades was about to join him until he saw a familiar boatmen come in with new spirits. Hades strolled up to the boat to see the spirits disembark with Charon. He noticed the boatman help a young mare down from his craft. Hades raised a brow since he had never seen Charon help down a passenger. He immediately recognized her as the mortal mare he had seen when he took Persephone. Charon turned to Hades and presented him the mare, who looked more distraught than nervous.

Hades put his claws on his hips. “What is this, Charon?”

Charon pulled down his hood and motioned to the mare. “This is Cassandra.” Hades eyes widened from hearing, for the first time, Charon’s voice. He stumbled back and pointed at him accusingly.

“I thought you were a mute!”

“I never said that.”

“Yes well you never said anything, did you?” Hades grumbled and shook his head. “Is this Cassandra suppose to be important?”

Charon nodded, narrowing his eyes in a serious glare. “I want...to make a deal.”

Hades ears twitched and his mood quickly turned solemn. “A deal?”

“For her soul…”

Hades’s eyes narrowed into a glare. “You are forgetting your place and where you are standing. The Underworld is for spirits, none can go back to the living.”

Cassandra whimpered and let out a cry, prompting Charon to throw a large bag at Hades’s feet. Hades looked down and noticed the gold. The gold Charon had been collecting for a millenia. Hades hummed and moved his eyes back at his boatmen.

“You know I have no need for...material gain.” Hades said with a click of his tongue. Charon glanced back at Cassandra and back at Hades.

“Please…” He whispered. “She has a daughter waiting for her.”

“She should have thought of that before starving herself.” Hades said coldly, crossing his arms. Cassandra eyes widened from his proclamation. She immediately went up to him and fell to her knees, bowing her head in one final act of desperation.

“Please Lord Hades! I only wanted to protect my daughter!” She cried, weeping heavily. “I only wanted her to eat before I do and I tried to find work but...I couldn’t! Now my daughter is alone and-!”

“Alright! Alright!” Hades exclaimed, taking a step back. Cassandra looked up at him in confusion. “Yes, I already know what you did.” Hades began, motioning her to get up. Cassandra did. “I already read your deeds, it is obvious you belong in the fields and...I suppose...I could...release your soul.” Hades said and shrugged.

Cassandra smiled and bowed her head. “Thank you Lord Hades! Thank you!”

He quickly put a finger to his lips. “Keep your voice down!” He hushed. “If any of the other spirits catch wind of this, I will be swarmed!”

“O-of course, Lord Hades.”

“Now..hmm let see.” He turned his wrist and made a spool of red string appear. He pulled one end of the string and wrapped it around Cassandra’s leg. “You will cut this string once you reach the cave, not before you get there and not after you leave the cave. You will have to cut it on the beach. Understand?”

“Y-yes, Yes Lord Hades, I understand.”

“And a bit of warning....fail to do it, the string will be unbreakable and your soul will wind up back to me.” He snapped his fingers, making a pair of scissors appear and gave them to Charon. “Don’t drop these, or play with them, or run with them…” He said with a playful wink. Charon gave him a smile and nodded. He turned back to the boat and helped Cassandra inside.

“Thank you, Hades…” Charon said softly.

“I’m being charitable today. Also...Cassandra, may I speak with you for a moment?”

Cassandra nodded. “Anything for you, Hades.”

“Do you mind what is happening on the surface?” He asked as he leaned against the bow of Charon’s boat. “I would like to know and as you can see, I can’t really visit at the moment.”

Cassandra frowned. “There is a great winter storm caused by the Goddess, Demeter.” Hades’s claws suddenly extended and penetrated the wood of Charon’s boat. “She is mourning the loss of her daughter, Kore…” Hades turned away and looked down the beach, seeing the blue, pale spirits. He should have known. No. He did know how they died. He didn’t know it was because of him. He stared at the children, playing with the ball. Cademus with a paper and quill, writing down names and sending the spirits to their proper place. Spirits, who shouldn't have been in the Underworld. “She thinks she is missing, my lord.” Cassandra whispered softly.

“How long do you plan on keeping her?” She asked but was immediately hushed by Charon.

“Cassandra!...please. A God’s will is his own, you shouldn’t question him.”

“B-but what about Deliah?! I-I’m sorry but-! You are being selfish! Ponies are dying!”

“Cassandra!” Charon growled and forced her to sit down on the boat. “Please forgive her my Lord...she is upset.”

Hades raised a claw, silencing him. “Take her. And Go.” He turned away and faced the entrance of the cave to his home. “I have to think.”

Charon pulled out his stick and pushed the boat back into the water. Hades silently walked inside the interior of his cavern castle. He ran his paw against the cold wall of the hallway as he made his way towards Persephone’s room. He stood in front of her door, with his paw outstretched to knock. He did not know how long he stood there, with his paw frozen in place. Cassandra’s words echoed in his mind. ‘You are being selfish’. He should have been angry. He was a god. A mortal had no place to argue with him but, she was right. He is selfish. He had been alone since the beginning. When he saw Persephone, he thought he could escape from his own crippling loneliness and weak desire for companionship. He had been selfish for a long time.
Why stop now?
He could keep Persephone for himself. No one would be able to stop him. It is Demeter’s fault. Ponies who had died should blame Demeter, not him. The gods should punish her. Demeter is the one who is being selfish. He remembers how she kept Persephone locked away, like a bird in a cage. He offered her freedom and yet...he is doing the same. He shook his head and sighed. It is his fault. He is the God of Death. Death is always alone. No one loves Death. Why did he ever expect it to be granted to him?
He knocked on the door. When he heard no response, he opened the door quietly. He found no one else inside except for Persephone, sleeping in her bed. He was glad the servants wouldn't see him do the deed. He entered her chambers and silently closed the door. He went beside her and admired the beautiful yellow pegasus with a small smile. The sight of her almost made him change his mind. He stroked her mane and gently pulled three strands of her pink hair. He outstretched his paw and pressed his middle finger to his thumb.

“Kore, daughter of Demeter…” He began with a whisper. Kore fluttered her eyes open and lifted her head. Her eyes met with Hades. “I release you.” and he snapped his fingers.

Author's Note:

OH MY GOSH! school is tough, but here it is! I hope you all enjoyed it!

Comments ( 12 )

amazing
another chapter alright

Oh, Hades...

Huh, what would you know, Charon CAN talk.

Ooooooohhhhhh mmmmmmyyyyyyyyy ggggggoooooooooddddddd!!!!!!!!!! I love it

"quickly took noticed" notice not noticed.
"He always felt a small pain in his heart whenever he sees children enter his realm but he always bounce back when he remembers" saw, bounced, remembered past tense.

Anyway this chapter was nice. I liked how Hades mused to himself... Perhaps it's because in my personal writing I consider it important to know that one character doesn't dismiss or ignore the fact that he/she is suffering. It's like facing a problem... If you don't admit that this is a problem to begin with you're in trouble. Looking forward to hearing from you. Hope school goes well.

8827371
Thank you for the help! I will fix this as soon as possible! ^_^

8829505
It's ok. Tbh I also kinda wanted to talk with you again. It's been a while. Pm me if you want.

Gosh I need another chapter

Please oh please make a new chapter soon!

6am and what a cliffhanger, i feel attacked :,-( thanks though! this story helped me relax! maybe i can finally sleep, dreaming of dcord being a sad veggie after this

So far this story is great. Hope to see the next one.

The story of Hades and Persephone is one of my favorite myths. I've always liked the idea of the two actually loving each other. He truly loved her. Among all the gods, he was the only one who did not take another lover. I do wish you would finish this.:unsuresweetie:

Oh... My... God
This is such an AMAZING story
And I seriously look foward by the time you decide to continued it. ESPECIALLY with that cliffhanger.

But that's up to you. Hope you read this For let you know that you did a beutiful job with this story and that you're a great writer.

Login or register to comment