• Published 23rd Jul 2014
  • 390 Views, 4 Comments

Three Stones Lake - Renaissance Muffins



Just before the 50th anniversary of the Empire's return, Princess Kyanite slips away from the castle late at night unbeknownst to her parents, bringing a small trove of books with her.

  • ...
 4
 390

Chapter 04: Complexities

The smell of chocolate, smoked by hickory, and bits of orange in each bite floated about the hotel room. Pumice quietly enjoyed her morning bar of bold sweetness while Fleet tiredly ate away at his breakfast. The television whispered its news of the morning and the rising sun was shielded away by a thick blanket of clouds. An overcast the could very well make the rest of the day moody and depressing. Rain was foretold, light and lingering.

The two fixed their beds and went through their belongings, gathering what they need for the day. Fleet grabbed the device, which he aptly named “Syncer”. In a way, it was a pun and perfectly described its function. Pumice looked through the list again and noted which ponies they'd look for. A repeat of what they had before. The unsettling weight of how long the day would become weighed down on the both of them. Their responsibility was large, if they couldn't find a match among the list, the title would remain in Twilight's possession until her research was complete again. She stated that it had already taken her more than five years to gather the first list. Who knows how long it'd take for her to create the next one.

The first stop of many, was the head chef of the most popular restaurant in the city. His name, Cali Mari. A pony of good stature that had made a name for himself with an excellent reputation and launching the ratings of the establishment soar through the roof. Some thought it suspicious, but that was quelled when they tried the food firsthand. Fortunately, the stop wasn't that far away. A hop across the street and two blocks east was all it'd take.

Pumice went through more miscellaneous information as the two of them rode down in the elevator. It's bland surfaces reminding them of cubicles in an office complex. How monotonous this task may become. All they had to do was get close, maybe engage in polite conversation, and hopefully not somehow manage to screw something up. Then, an all too familiar ding sounded, the doors opened to the ground floor and out the two went.

The weather was accurate, usually was. This day and age they've nearly nailed down the prediction of what kind of clouds will be there, and where. Today, a gray stratus cloud lingered over like a quilt. Cold from northern Equestria seemed to have found its way here, as if by road or train. Traffic was still as the wind and the path opened up on its own. The light shined for them to cross and they did. Other ponies drifted aside mindlessly to let them by. A chill ran down both their spines as a foreboding feeling of uncomfortable dread emerged.

Pumice and Fleet came upon the diner, Sacata Seafood Grill. It's namesake answered for the food it served. The exterior resembled the cabin of a large fishing boat. One that'd be used in the oceans where the weather could be harsh or gentle but the waves large and unforgiving. The inside was more like a cruise liner, red and gold furnishings throughout. Bronze colored wood and wire-wrapped glass between every booth. Chandeliers, small and crystalline, dotted the ceiling. A bar sat at the opposite end, close to a secondary exit leading into the adjacent hall of a hotel.

Pumice and Fleet took a booth and waited for a server to come along and take their order. Fleet remained silent, scanning over the options while Pumice spoke outright, “I'll take a Basking Salmon, rice and rock rye toast.”

“Miss, have you been here before?”

“No, just looked up the menu on the website, is all.”

Internet, another relatively new invention thanks to the genius of Twilight's students. A collective group worked together and compounded a system that could store and share information at a moment's notice. With virtually nothing to impede the speed and space, it was nearly limitless. It wasn't without its problems though, many users professed their opinions blindly without proper research and harassment of others. Those who set out to use the service for more undesirable means, weren't hard to find. The brighter side shined through the dirt and grit, exploring endless creativity and wonders, bringing otherworldly places straight to their doorstep, in a sense. Creating a boost in tourism and culture throughout.

“Right... I don't use that service that much. Anyways, are you ready to order, sir?”

“I'll take a Peach Peak Perch with fries and a water.” The waitress jotted down the last of the order and wandered over to a register, punching in the items. “So, how are we going to talk to a chef who works in the back, anyways?”

“Simple, order something he likes to make in front of the guests. More soon busier days. Cali likes to show off his skill. Not exactly a trait in line with Twilight's personality, but it points to closer to a match.”

“You've really studied those assessments huh?”

“Certainly did. It's important that we do as there's the chance for the Syncer to fail. Twilight's inventions have never been fault-proof the first time around. Our history books documented several of the incidents well.”

“Yea... I remember the one that artificially created magic. Thing blew quite the hole in the her castle. Barely even notice the scar from that now.”

“That's right. Artificial magic is a very difficult matter. While we're naturally attuned in one way or another, we are never really creating more. The theory stands that there is a defined limit on how much magic can be in a certain place and time. When someone, like Twilight, ascends to the alicorn species, more magic is drawn from the earth. That's why some folks have called for her to step down. Trouble is, we don't know the limit that can be reached.”

“Sounds rough. You spend all day reading up on this?”

Pumice nodded, smiling away, “Yes, and I've taken an interest in it for my future classes in Canterlot University.”

“It was always the brains with you.”

“And you were always the faithful support, oftentimes the brawn.”

They both had a short laugh about that before a metal kart irked forward, it's small casters squeaking to a stop. Stainless steel top dotted with black, cast iron cookware. “Well, looks like we've got ourselves two lovely ponies on a date!” Cali boasted. Fleet glanced over to Pumice, whose eyes told him to play along. “I'll make the meals a bit tastier than normal. A little more crisp and rhyme never hurts.” The stallion had a natural handsomeness that took little effort to maintain. Short hair all around kept it out of the food and small stubbles dotted his face. A small nick in his jawline showed a slight carelessness in his habit. His colors were simple enough, brown hair, white and orange painted fur, green eyes.

“Ah, thank you kindly.” Pumice said, quickly darting her eyes to Fleet, then to back to the chef.

Fleet caught the look and dug his hoof through his bag and pulled the device out just enough to keep it in his sight, but not theirs. Like a child peeking out from around a corner, scared. The more the chef used his magic, the Syncer glowed in response. Pulsating in its light until the chef was finished. Surprisingly, Cali didn't even notice, showing off his skill by closing his eyes and knowing when, down to the second, the fish needed to flipped and when the rice needed to be stirred. He did all this with a smile and opened his eyes only after he plated the food.

“You two enjoy!” He exclaimed. He then moved merrily back to the kitchen, the kart in tow.

Pumice managed a thanks before he left the table's side. Fleet, just a nod. “So?”

“No good, it seems. Results that my Personal Assistant is coming up with says that his magic isn't strong enough. Nor can he handle more of it. His personality traits are pretty close: confident, strong-willed, and smart. However, he's stubborn and lazy when it comes to anything outside of work. Spat out a bunch of numbers too, not really sure what that's about.”

“I think Twilight said that those were more of a compass. She also said that that feature wasn't completely functional yet either.”

“Right... I guess we'll eat and move on then.” Fleet rasped. “This looks delicious, after all. Who's our next point of interest?”

“Let's discuss that it after we're done. We can't parade around this information, you know.”

“Right.”

So they ate and enjoyed. The chef came back before they left, gladly paying for the meal. Not minding the cost. Thanks were given and a happy leave was had. Unfortunately, light rain and a chilling wind dampened the mood. The forecast remained unchanged, however.

Unlike the morning, the traffic failed to halt and the crowded sidewalk flowed like a wild river, meandering around rocks and boulders. Pumice wanted to leap from the ground and carry Fleet with her. However, flying was only permitted to those who had a license to in the city. A safety precaution as wires stretched from one building to another. Employees in the postal and shipping services were all required to get one, whether they were a pegasus or not.

Instead, Pumice and Fleet headed to the nearest alleyway and teleported back to their hotel room. “And that is one reason I don't like big cities.” Pumice announced, checking her ruffled feathers.

“I see what you mean.” Fleet said, the last bits of his magic flickering away from his horn. “Let's get these numbers ran through, I guess.”

“You mean let me run them through...” Pumice stated sarcastically.

“Yup.”

Pumice grabbed the numbers from Fleet's P.A and sent them to Twilight, who quickly sent the results back. Barely enough time for the first portion of a show to run before commercials. She was always quick in her work with barely a mistake. Oftentimes, it was strangely robotic or mechanical. Pumice read through the results, carefully. Her grandmother's faded oval red glasses aiding her eyesight. After a sigh, she spoke up, “No good. First few numbers are a hit, but later three parts are completely off.”

Fleet listened, but kept his eyes glued to the television which was airing a documentary about antennas and their contribution to the industry. “Crazy idea, could we hook that thing up to one of those and use Sync to just read the whole city?”

“It'd overload. Unless we can get it nailed down to the specific citizens that are here, then we meet them face to face. Besides, they'll have the roof blocked off.”

“I suppose you're right. I'm guessing that using the power grid or Internet wouldn't work, either.” Fleet spouted, discouraged.

“Until Twilight finds a better way to pinpoint a match, we don't have any other options. We have to at least be near the subject.”

Fleet agreed with a nod and they headed down to the streets once more. This time, their list lead them to another unicorn at the edge of the city. Where skyscrapers ceased and small office buildings lined the streets. Restaurants breaking up the bland tans and gray brick by using a myriad of color schemes suited to their own themes. Flower shops were few and far between, electronic stores more so.

This particular unicorn managed one of the electronic stores. The plan, developed before their leave, simply act like customers and see if they could fix a broken P.A.D. Fleet volunteered his, said he always had problems with it. The cracks and stripes in the screen never helped, either.

Upon entering the store, whose bland exterior was only spruced up by the sign and its logo, they were merrily greeted by a sales pony. Pumice asked if they did repairs and the green spotted earth pony went off to the back to fetch the manager. Some time pass as Fleet browsed through some wares as Pumice patiently stayed put. While Fleet tried out a pair of headphones, the manager and their pony of interest came out from the office looking. After a short conversation, he took Fleet's P.A.D from Pumice and set it on an in-store repair counter and quickly got to work. Sync quietly flared up and quickly calmed down. Pumice paid the stallion for his work and thanked him before turning to leave.

Fleet followed Pumice out the door and the two knew the result without even glancing at the result - incompatible. Not a leader, just someone who likes to fix things on the side while running a business. The mere tone of voice, while friendly, hid easy aggravation and a short temper. Not to mention he was rude, asking Pumice for a date in an awful way. She politely declined. They both wondered how he wound up on the list, perhaps by error.

The next pony of interest took them to the northern most end of the city, where a majority of apartment complexes resided. One of the landlords, known to be rather friendly with all of her tenants, regardless of their species and complexion. Her kind treatment earned her a lot of respect amongst her peers, especially when a fire took out a quarter of one complex. She paid for most of the damages herself, even the items that her tenants lost. The description gave the both of them the feeling that she was more for the Element of Generosity than Friendship. Still, it was worth checking out.

Pumice knocked on the landlord's door and waited. Fleet stretched his legs and back, conveniently, the landlord answered the door as soon as he had his nose to the foot of the door. He shot up, embarrassed. Then familiarity struck, “Zabella, what are you doing here?”

“Shush, Fleet.” She muted him with a spell and invited the both of them inside. Fleet was mildly upset and Pumice had yet to figure out why. Then they took a seat at her rather small dining table with folding ends. The hinges squeaked when they budged. “Here, I am known as Hospi. I'm sure Twilight provided that information, at least.”

“How did you know?” Pumice questioned curiously.

Zabella poured some tea she had brewed for the occasion. Chai tea, their favorite. “My grandmother is Rarity, after all. After our dear Princess Twilight made that announcement, Rarity thought that my talents were suited for the Element. Which completely disregards the fact I already hold the Element of Generosity.”

The mare took a lot of traits from her grandmother's side of the family. Especially the curling, ribbon-like hair. However, she had taken the rose pink of Sweetie Belle's mane as her own. On the other side, she'd taken the eyes of her father, sparkling ice blue opals with a dull outer ring of brown. Her cutie mark a small house with a single lit window, like foals would draw in school or at home.

“So, dears, where do you go next?”

“We haven't decided yet. I believe there's another pony that we need to at least talk to before we head elsewhere.”

“Is that so? I do hope you find them soon. It'd be a shame to have to wind up travelling the world for a title so grand. I do wonder why she didn't bother sending out invitations to the ponies of interest.” She served the tea in little glass cups which were painted with floral themes, then returned the kettle to the stove to.

“Busy with her work, really.” Pumice shot a glance at Fleet, staring into his cup of tea. “Could you unmute him and maybe even explain why you did that?”

She thought about the prospect and lightly sighed, “I suppose. It's been long enough.” She closed her eyes and released the spell. Fleet lips barely moved before she cut him off, “But, you speak ill of me right now and it'll as it was.” Fleet clamped his mouth shut.

“We dated for a while.” Zabella continued. “Well before we had received our titles. We went through a rough patch where we blamed each other for nearly everything measly mistake. Somehow, the two of us managed to get our heads cleared up enough decided to break up. It was hard on both of us, we loved each other so well too in the beginning. What put us in that rough spot, we've agreed not to share with anyone else. Not until we could discuss it again, without yelling and shouting.” Zabella gave a pained smile. “Neither of us wanted that any more...” Fleet looked as if he had emptied his mind, his eyes gazing back to their unpleasant history.

“I understand.” Pumice spoke. “I will not inquire any further. Fleet, Syncer. We'll do a quick scan and be on our way then.” The scan, proved the incompatible magic yet again. “No match, Thank you for your time, Zabella. We shouldn't overstay our welcome.”

“Farewell, dears.” She gave the two of them a hug before they departed. Zabella held Fleet almost like a mother would and said, “Be careful out there, hun.”

“I'll be fine. We're not going through Everfree anymore.”

Zabella chuckled and silently sent them on their way. She cleaned the teacups she'd given, except for her own. She sat and daydreamed of distant memories. Her eyes began to well and she stiffly sobbed. Clearing the tears after the feeling settled, she sigh and continued on with her work with a heartfelt smile. The air felt lighter now than ever. She'd been waiting to hear that and she was glad that he'd found his own way now.

“Everfree?” Pumice asked Fleet after they got back to the hotel room.

“It was a sort of... a password for us.” Fleet answered, staring out the window as the fading sunset lit the streets below. “We should get some sleep soon, kind of tired.”

Pumice yawned, “I suppose we should. All this walking isn't something I'm particularly fond of, especially here.”

After a short time of watching the news which consisted of another report of the north, where Kyanite had vanished, a success story, and an interview, the two slept. Tomorrow they would head out yet again, trying to find a match within the city. The day after, another city in the west, Las Pegasus. Then up the coast to Vanhoover. After that, Baltimare to Manehatten. Lastly, the Crystal Empire. The both of them hoped that the ventures wouldn't take long. Maybe Fleet's crazy idea could work at some point. Maybe the candidates would come to them merely by accident. This scavenger hunt could take years to accomplish at this rate.