• Published 13th Apr 2012
  • 27,080 Views, 1,615 Comments

Mass Effect 2 - DLC: The Equestrian Equation - Loyal2Luna



In this exclusive DLC, what begins as a simple search-and-rescue mission unveils a mystery millions of years in the making. Your choices are Commander Shepard's choices, and all of Equestria is at stake.

  • ...
44
 1,615
 27,080

Author's Afterword

And with this last statement and show of gratitude, the Equestrian Equation comes to an end.

I would like to thank every person, person, and platform out there who took the time to read up, vote, and comment in general. I like think that I provided an entertaining bit of content for Mass Effect and MLP for fans of both and I very much appreciate all of the kind words and engagement shared by all readers.

Also a very special thanks to my proofreader: 2dextreem, who is worth his weight in solid gold and has assisted with outlining, adding funny bits, and has acted as a sounding board that has prevented several less than stellar ideas from reaching the final draft of Equestrian Equation. I couldn't do it without you, 2d... *hugs*

Now, two items for everyone in this last word.

Firstly: I have noticed that some commentators have stated that they have not actually played Mass Effect, which is tragic as it is perhaps the GREATEST game trilogy of all time in spite of the controversy involving the ending. And as of the time of this posting, there is a way to experience it all in one place.

Bioware, in its awesomeness, has released the ENTIRE Mass Effect Trilogy in a single package for the PC and Xbox 360 as of today (November 6th) with the release for the PS3 and new Wii U too be announced. Now, I do not make any money on this, but I highly recommend for anybody who has NOT yet had a chance to experience the universe of Mass Effect to go out and pick it up as soon as possible and welcome to the Herd of Shepard.

And for the final point, while there will be a interlude between the end of this post and the release of my next MLP/Mass Effect Crossover DLC, I have a final choice for all of you.

Namely, what form shall the Mass Effect 3 DLC take. And I have three new options to offer. it was originally two, but has been edited as of 11-16-12. Cutoff for vote will be New Year's Day: 2013.

Mass Effect 3: Path of the Shepard

Experience the impact of the Equestrian race though the eyes of Commander Shepard throughout the duration of the Reaper War. Visit a new area of the Citadel as New Ponyville becomes available and gain new assets and tech to assist in the Final Battle. With new side-missions that take place at intermittent points though the campaign of Mass Effect 3, the overall plot watches as the Commander crosses paths with both the Equestrians themselves as well as others who have become involved with the new race that Shepard has come to care for, both as friends and foes.

((A true followup of the Equestrian Equation DLC for Mass Effect 2. As before, experience the story though Commander Shepard as told within the mechanics of the game in this one shot DLC told in the same form as 'Leviathan'. (An optional series of mission adding to the overall ME3 Storyline) Make the choices that will effect the fate of the galaxy, leading all the way to the Final Battle))

========================
Mass Effect 3 - Prelude: Shades of Twilight

For the first time in Mass Effect history, step out of the well-worn armor of Shepard and into the hooves of the Equestrians' leader, Twilight Sparkle. Experience the trials of the Equestrian Race in the months before the Reaper War as well as the whole of the galaxy though a new perspective as the Madam President must build her own alliances, make choices, and endure sacrifices what will aid or hinder her people and allies. To what length must Twilight go to preserve her people... and what sacrifices will she be willing to make to aid Shepard in his fight against the monsters that exterminated her ancestors.
((Experience the new beginning for the Equestrians in this interim story that details the events following the Exodus of Equestria all the way until the Fall of Earth and the beginning of the Reaper War. Told in the same form as Equestrian Equation, audience choices will have repercussions and consequences both immediate and long-lasting, effecting the state of the Equestrian's government, place in the new galaxy, well being, and mindset at the opening of Mass Effect 3 and will be followed by the final segment of this three part epic in Mass Effect 3 DLC: Harmony for All ))

========================
Mass Effect 3: Pony Tales
Every choice has consequences and every life, no matter how small, can influence events to come with it's presence or absence. So what happens an entire race is brought back from the edge of oblivion. How could things change?
As Earth Falls, experience a complete retelling of the Mass Effect 3 story from beginning to end as the consequences of Shepard's actions are felt across the galaxy. This collection of stories from the Reaper War, told from the perspectives of the ponies that experienced them recount the events that would shape the galaxy for eons to come. From Palaven to Tuchunka, from Rannoch to Tessia. Even back to the ruins of Earth itself. See the impact of the few as they fight against impossible odds to bring a better galaxy to those that survive the terrors of the Reaper War.

((This is a set story without any of the ME3 mechanics, told in the style of a war documentary (along the lines of World War Z, which I recommend to all readers who like zombies) following the aftermath of Reaper War and including stories and testimonies from survivors of the War among both the Equestrians and the crew of the SSV Normandy SR-2. While this will certainly make for the quickest updates, there would be no choices to be made, allowing for a more seamless reading experience. ))

Until then, my darling readers.

ONWARDS!

Comments ( 286 )

Shades of Twilight. Because Twilight commanding a cruiser bought/borrowed from the SA sounds like a boss.

Eh. I've seen enough of Shepard for at least the next few months. Let's follow the magic pony for a bit.

Why not try a mix? Twilight Joins Shepard on his spacefaring adventures?

Shades of Twilight.
...our favorite adorkable bookworm is all grown up now! :twilightsmile:

Shades of Twilight. Shepard is a great character, but Twilight has the potential to be just as good. And we all already know how it ends for shepard...

1575943

While an entertaining option, it isn't feasible considering the leadership position twilight has assumed.

Dayum dude, those are honestly two really tough choices. Honestly? I don't think I can pick. I know I'll be satisfied either way.

...or you COOOULD just write both? :pinkiecrazy:

Shades of Twilight

It seems most people would like Shades of Twilight, however, I would recommend Harmony For All. The next story is going to be a continuation after all, and changing the perspective to Twilight centric would feel somewhat clunky.
:twilightsmile:

Curse you and your impossible choices. Why must every other choice you give be so difficult?! I swear, you must be doing it on purpose, teasing me with so many carrots that I want. I want BOTH options ideally, a mix that shows both perspectives, especially as they're both so very important. That said, if I CAN only pick one (which I hate you for making me do *shakes fist*), it'd have to be Shades of Twilight, if only because this IS an MLP site, and she's still the main MLP character. I'd still prefer both though.

Shades of Twilight, all the way.

I have to join the chorus of the first few comments - Shades of Twilight - I think both stories would be awesome, but speaking as a dedicated "Mass effect is one of the greatest games of all time" fan, I know shepard in the universe very well, but Twilight is a new and interesting viewpoint with action, drama, and politics to be explored.

Thank you again for the great story and the hope that it will be continued either way you choose to write it!

:twilightsmile:

Harmony for all. The story wouldn't come together nicely if it was focused on Twilight as how it comes together in the big picture might get lost, the most important thing is stopping the Reapers, and the Equestrians and Twilight are only a piece of the solution. I would like to see how it all comes together.

Harmony for All sounds good.

Why, why must you torture us so?! I have to say Harmony for All, I agree with Random's above statement, changing perspectives like that would be a bit jarring.

Yeah I hate to say it but I have to probably go with Shades of Twilight. As some have said and might continue to say it would be ideal for those of us that are foaming at the mouth because you are making us choose to possibly have it switch back and forth between the two stories, to possibly explain some of the happenings that are effecting Shepard out in his space faring. While showing us the hardships that Twilight must go through along with her friends. It wouldn't need to be equal page time between them just pick one to focus on then just possibly.....

.......Oh heck with it my brain just blew a fuse trying to work out what I wanted to say. :derpyderp1:

But yeah as a defeated man that must make a choice.....I pick Shades of Twilight. Still hoping for a fusion of the two stories though!

IT is a very hard choice...Both sound like a lot of thought has been put into them...but i have to say
Harmony for all.....
-Shadow Flare

That is a VERY tough decision. But I think I'm gonna have to go with Shades of Twilight. It would be interesting to see everything going on from their new perspective, especially since with Shepard its only going to be a few sidequests and stuff now that he does. How they integrate with galactic society (before it gets blown up), how they work with the other races (before they all die), and what they can contribute to the greater struggle (before it's too late).

I must vote for Shades of Twilight

and thank you once again for all the amazing stories
*bows*

I say both; each chapter will be split into two seperate parts, the first following Shepard, the second following Twilight. It would be interesting to see how the choices made in one would impact the other. :raritywink: :twilightsmile:

Harmony for all
I'd just go all out and try to bribe you into doing option A just for the fact that I've played the second game and LOVED it

Arrrrrgh! I want both so much, but as I have a feeling that you will only do one, I also choose Shades of Twilight. Though I do hope she eventually meets with Shep at some point, even if that's only during the Final Battle on Earth.

SORT OF EDIT: Oh wait, no, 1576137 here has a good idea, actually. I vote this if possible!

Awww, you make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. *hugs back*

As for the choice, I would like to weigh in saying that, as much as I love Shepard and the Normandy crew, such a setup (a series of events spanning the length of ME3 at different points, only highlighting the parts that involve ponies) would make it feel a lot like a 'Mass Effect 3, but with ponies' vibe. While this in of itself isn't a bad thing, I feel that the second option, if played off as a continuation of the first story, following the Equestrian's impact on the Citadel, the galaxy at large, and on Shepard's mission at the appropriate times, would be a lot more captivating and fulfilling.

Instead of feeling like a simple DLC mission, it would be a full canonical exercise building off of the marvelous story that I am glad to say I had a part in shaping.

So put me down for Shades of Twilight, and I look forward to teaming up with you again on that, OSD, and many more projects to come!

Harmony for all. At least, thats what I want first!:moustache:

Harmony For All

I saw harmony for all, It'll be interesting to see how the other races reacted to Ponies. I'd love to see Wrex interacting with Pinkie.

Please, at least change the name to something else, Shades of Twilight sounds too much like Shades of Gray... :ajbemused::flutterrage::pinkiecrazy::twilightangry2:

Hmm, well, DLC comes in multiple packs.

Wouldn't it be a which one first choice rather then a binary one?

Personally I think Mass Effect 3: Harmony for All should be first, as it seems easier to transition to.

Mass Effect 3: Shades of Twilight however is something I would really like to see, though how she is going to do much with only a Normandy full of Ponies and a bunch of mechs will be interesting.

I would like to see two stories running simultaneously if at all possible but I think that would take away a little of the surprise that any characters feel because we will have already known. That said I enjoy the constant surprise of other races when facing the ponies so my vote is for Shades of Twilight as it sounds like it will deliver this more often and hey we can see what its like from the side handing out missions for Shepard to potentially go through with.:yay:

I'd prefer Harmony for All. It's goood to keep the structure similar to DLC, adding to the main story, but not making it something everyone needs to understand it. Shades of Twilight sounds good, but from the description it just seems like "Twilight as Commander Shepard", no offence.

1576283
I would see SoT as more like Liara's activities pre-Shadow Broker, Twilight trying to balance being the leader of her people while at the same time taking up a weapon, skulking around the Citadel and other unsavory places, bumping elbows (hooves?) with both familiar and unsavory characters in order to influence the war from behind the scenes.

I don't know, maybe just the idea of Twilight as President/Biotic Spy appeals to me.

Mass Effect 3: Shades of Twilight

it's the smarter choice while the adventures of shepherd are fun we know what happens, its an action game its obvious. all we get is an odd reference to pony with lots of shepherd running around corridors and despite what some people have said that is boring.

so lets see this through the eyes of twilight, lets see her adventure. there will be less action (action to me, is dull and repetitive anyway i much prefer watching the development of an entire race but there you go) but more everything else.

also if you do write both stories don't merge them, focus on one finish it and then start the next or they both will suffer.

anyway thank you for a fantastic story and goodnight

ps. i have yet to play the games :P

First of all I have to say that is awesome of Bioware to release something like that.

And I am so torn between the two. On one hand we get to see Shepard and how the equestrian affected the galaxy. Or we could see how the equestrians themselves are dealing with the galaxy and what Twilight's doing. But in the end I'm going to have to say Harmony for All. Reasons being that one, while it would be nice to see Twilight's POV, this is Mass Effect 3 and it's all about Shepard's fight against the Reapers. Plus I feel that Shades of Twilight will have less action overall and the impact of the Reapers won't be as clear.

P.S. Will the ending of both stories involve the Battle for Earth or will they be different? :twilightsmile:

Edit: On second thought, I think that 1576225 has the better idea.

I vote Harmony for all. SOT (Wow. Never using that one again.) doesn't sound too bad, but I just like the idea of the first one.

Godspead, ya bloody mad pegasister:rainbowdetermined2:.

As long as Twilight is constantly interacting with characters we know, like the beloved Conrad Verner, Emma Wong (I forget her name sometimes, but I think that's right.), and a bunch of the other minor characters that make exploring the ME universe so fun, as well as sometimes getting off the citadel to do things, even a side mission with Shepard or two... and, of course, making sure they get off before the citadel gets taken, then I would be fine with Shades of Twilight.

The problem with both is that one is too "Equestria in Mass Effect" and the other is too "Mass Effect in Equestria".

I trust you, though.

Shades of Twilight.

Ugh. As a die hard Mass Effect fan to the end (Garrus is best squad-mate), despite it's very bitter end, I want to say that I've seen plenty of Shepard to last a lifetime when compared with Twilight.

As a die hard brony to the end (Fluttershy is best pony), I would faint to see Shepard get so involved in a story on this site AGAIN!!!

Putting those both aside, we can still see plenty of Shepard from Twilight's perspective. And we all probably want to see how the Equestrians fair in their new home. Besides, this is no longer just the journey of Shepard, his squad mates, and his temporary allies. This is a much broader spectrum that may be hard to cover purely from Shepard's point of view. While I would prefer to see both written into one story, I can see that's not going to happen (unless I give you the puppy eyes. DON'T MAKE ME USE THE PUPPY EYES!!! THEY'RE MY VERSION OF THE STARE!!!)

With that said, I vote Shades of Twilight.

Side note: since Femshep is best Shepard,thinkhero.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Mass-Effect-3-the-real-female-shepard.jpg

And Fluttershy is best pony, images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120904035128/mlp/images/e/ea/FluttershyS1E23.png

Why not have both in one big shabang 25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9uvrv8f3t1rf2a47o1_1280.png :scootangel:

Mass Effect 3: Harmony for All...although ME3:SOT sounds interesting as well...decisions decisions.
Well, no matter the outcome,
Good luck and godspeed

Harmony for All sounds like it would be too chopped up, or rather, too episodic. I'd rather have one big overarching story than a bunch of small little missions or episodes. I vote for Shades of Twilight although maybe some interlude chapters with Shepard wouldn't hurt.

UPDATE: I would just like to say that I keep my vote for Shades of Twilight, after the new blog post.

I say that doing both would be better, although if you will only write one, then do Shades of Twilight.

I say Shades of Twilight

Mass Effect 3: Shades of Twilight


My vote, I played all three of the mass effect games (not in order though, I played 2, 3 then 1)


Good luck Twilight Sparkels, your going to need iTTTAHHHHH, sorry! force of habit, got to get that checked out.

System Alliance Combat Medic Duck, AKA "Duck & Flee."

Leaving solders with untreated wounds and bleeding eardrums since the reapers appeared.

Wanderer D
Moderator

I would go for Shades of Twilight... mostly as a big ME fan, I also would like to see the other side of the story, you know? I mean, I'm getting Omega so my Shepard fix will continue, and Twilight's path looks terribly interesting and I know we'll see Shepard there as well.

See, my issue with "Shades of Twilight" is that it feels like it doesn't give me enough insight on the way war directly impacts a society. I see a lot of indirect effects throughout the side-missions in ME3, and this is really important, but I'd much rather see how the Ponies react to direct warfare, rather than seeing Twilight try to work within the shitstorm that's gone up.

Thus, voting for: Mass Effect 3: Harmony for All

If I may: Equestrian representative on Earth at time of Reaper Attack?

Harmony For All, but with the proviso that an Equestrian must join Shepherd's squad.

Personally I think both would be good to write.
I wish the choice was which to write first then I would say harmony for all then shade of twilight.
However I must chose and I think harmony for all is better suited mostly due to this being Mass Effect and its told by Shepherd.

Mass Effect 3: Shades of Twilight

Shades of Twilight!

Shades of Twilight

Login or register to comment