• Published 4th Dec 2014
  • 434 Views, 8 Comments

Graham's Bed and Breakfast - Golden Graham



A group of ponies of various walks of life get together every weekend for a game of Myths and Mayhem.

  • ...
6
 8
 434

Prologue

The wind tussled the young mare's long, black mane as the boat pulled into harbor at Van Hoover bay. It had been a long three weeks at sea, and the train ride to Canterlot promised to add another day to the journey. Sleeping conditions had been hardy, the provisioned food had been hardier still, and the ship's crew made for poor company on the journey overseas. Rising Sun was nothing if not resilient, however. She had a mission to fulfill, and she was determined to see it through, no matter the cost.

When word had reached Haysian shores that the Elements of Harmony had awoken, all the noble-ponies of the land had made a squabble, trying to decide how to act. The Elements of Harmony had been dormant for centuries, and had been all but forgotten to the ages. In the years of their absence, the lands surrounding Equestria had risen steadily in prominence and power. Princess Celestia was still a powerful figure, but even she had to make accommodations for the needs of her peers. Now that the Elements of Harmony had returned, however, the land of Equestria would have an untold level of magic at their disposal once more, which would shift the balance of power on a global scale.

An entire year had passed, and the squabbling had not died down. The customary emissaries had made their usual forays back and forth, portending all the expected niceties. Pleasantries were exchanged and formalities upheld with all due etiquette, while all the while, those in power overseas stewed in indecision. Finally, the sovereign ruler of Haysia, Princess Cherry Blossom, had decided that nothing would be accomplished by sitting on their hooves, and decreed that Haysia appoint an official diplomat to represent their interests in Equestria. Many young mares and colts were considered for the opportunity, those with diplomatic training and knowledge of magic given higher regard. Finally, a diplomat was appointed to the task, and just like that, Rising Sun was sent off on a boat bound for Van Hoover.

What had she gotten herself into, she wondered? While it was a great honor to be chosen for such a task, that still did not take away the heartache of leaving her home. She missed her parents, she missed her friends, and she missed her home draped amidst the cherry blossoms. She missed sitting by the stream and practicing calligraphy and listening to the cicadas drone on into the summer night.

What was waiting for her in Equestria? She spoke the language, but beyond that, she knew almost nothing of its customs and traditions. She would have so much to learn, and would have access to only what few amenities she could take with her, or whatever could be sent from care packages from home. Beyond that, she was a stranger in a strange land.

What fate awaited her on this distant shore, she could only guess. She could only hope she was up to the task. What sort of lives did these foreign ponies lead? All of her peers who had any experience in Equestria had told her that ponies were ponies at heart, wherever they hailed from, and that it was the little differences that would stand out most of all. While she was curious as to the culture of this strange new world, a part of her would always yearn for home.

How long must she remain here? The Princess had not given her a definite time-frame. Perhaps weeks, perhaps months. All she knew is that for the foreseeable future, Rising Sun was to remain in Equestria to ensure that if so ever the Elements of Harmony were used, that they were done so with Haysia's interests in mind.

That was it. That was all her role entailed. She was to be Haysia's security blanket. Haysia had remained secure in its interests for centuries before this time without the need of any kind of overseer looking into all of the magical goings on around the world. Why should the Elements of Harmony be any different? Was their power really so mythical? The nobility of Haysia had been up in arms ever since word of the Elements had started circulating through the grapevine, and enough of them had grown up to bedtime stories of their power that the very mention of them had somehow instilled a great fear into their hearts.

A fear borne of ignorance.

Well, fie upon them all. If it was ignorance that had somehow made Rising Sun their one and only recourse, then she would learn all she could about the Elements, and report back her findings. Surely they could not be as bad as all that. Surely, the nobility would see reason once she could safely and confidently say that their fears had all been for naught.

She certainly hoped so. If the nobility back home were not convinced of their safety, then who could say how long she would remain in Equestria for? If their fears were not abated and soon, then Rising Sun saw herself becoming a permanent resident in this strange, alien land, never again to see the cherry blossoms bloom in her family's garden.

With a sigh of resignation, she disembarked the ship. A taxi-cab driver was waiting for her there to take her to the train station. There, a train would take her to Canterlot where she would finally meet with Princess Celestria and, presumably, with the Elements of Harmony.

Hopefully, this first meeting would be her last.