• Published 22nd Jul 2014
  • 5,004 Views, 266 Comments

The Princess and the Unicorn - DisneyFanatic23



Based on "The Prince and the Pauper." Princess Twilight wishes she can go back to being a regular unicorn, while Dawn wants the life of a princess. When they meet and discover they look alike, they switch places. What will become of this?

  • ...
20
 266
 5,004

The Switch

Both mares were silent as purple eyes met purple eyes. They simultaneously lifted a hoof to brush the bangs out of those eyes, dark blue bangs that fell just below the brow, parted on the side. Two lavender faces slowly leaned towards each other until their noses were an inch apart.

One mare took a step to her right, so did the other. They circled around each other, their matching eyes not breaking contact, until they had changed positions. As if they were mirroring each other, they both reached out a hoof and touched the other's face. When they realized the other was real, they let out equal gasps.

They slowly put down their hooves and continued to stare.

The pony standing before Dawn had her face, her eyes, and her color! Her mane was also dark blue, only it was longer and straighter, with pink and purple highlights.

Twilight was shocked at the resemblance this strange mare had to her. The only difference so far seemed to be their manes. While this pony's was dark blue, it was shorter and messier, with wisps sticking out from behind her neck, and there were no other colors woven into it. That's how she knew she wasn't a changeling. A changeling would've copied her completely.

Despite the small differences, they could've been twins.

After a few more seconds of silence, Twilight exclaimed, "Not again!"

That broke the trance. Dawn blinked back in confusion.

"Not again?"

Twilight leaned forward and tilted her head as she studied the unicorn's face. "You're not by any chance from the future, are you? Or an alternate universe?"

Dawn blinked again. "Not that I know of. Wait." She scrunched her nose. "You mean that actually happened to you?"

The princess bit her lip. "Yes."

"Which one? The future thing or the alternate universe thing?"

"Both, actually."

"Say what?"

"Never mind. It's just…so mind-blowing…"

"I know, right? It's just so…"

"Whoa," they said together.

They gasped. "You even sound like…" They shook their heads. "You look just like…" They winced. "You're…"

After saying their fourth sentence together, their mouths broke into smiles and those smiles turned into laughs.

"You're not another me, are you?" Twilight giggled.

Dawn scoffed. "Not unless we're twins separated at birth, but I think my parents would've mentioned that little detail."

"It's just remarkable!" The princess circled round the unicorn, taking in every detail of her. "I mean the fur color, the facial and bone structure, the height, the mane and eye color… It's virtually impossible for two random ponies to have this many physical traits in common!"

"Well, I think this would disprove that statement."

"What's your name?" they asked at once.

Twilight giggled. "You first."

The unicorn held out her hoof. "Dawn Cracker. Pleased to meet ya."

The alicorn raised an eyebrow as she shook her hoof. "Dawn Cracker?"

"You know, like the crack of dawn?" She sighed. "Dad thought it was clever."

"I think it's a pretty name."

"Well, you'd be the first. And you are?"

The alicorn was delighted that for once, she wasn't recognized. "My name is Twilight Sparkle."

Dawn's eyes widened as she heard the name. She then glanced at her doppelganger's back and noticed the wings for the first time.

"Oh my gosh!" she shouted, instantly dropping to the floor and bowing her head. "Forgive me, your highness, for running into you! I am such a klutz! And forgive me for not recognizing you!"

Twilight stifled a laugh. "No need for that. I'm really not used to being bowed to. And don't worry, it was an accident."

Dawn looked up, nervousness lingering in her eyes. "Sorry!"

"No need to apologize."

"Sorry!" the unicorn shouted, scrambling to her hooves.

Twilight chuckled. "Wow. You really are like me!" She tapped her chin. "I wonder how alike we are."

Dawn glanced at her rear. "Well, for one thing, I don't have wings. We also don't have the same cutie mark."

"And your tail is shorter," the alicorn added.

"Yeah, I like my hair cut short. I also don't have those fancy highlights. Say, they look pretty good! Where'd you get them done?"

"Um…my hair is natural."

Dawn got down on the floor again. "Oh, I'm sorry, your highness!"

"It's okay. And enough with the "your highness." You may call me Twilight."

The unicorn looked up in awe. "Really?"

"Sure. After all, you could be my sister, so it only seems fair."

Dawn smiled and stood up, but as she did, her hoof stepped on one of the firework sticks and she nearly tripped.

"Oh, dear!" she exclaimed as she glanced around at the mess. "I'm supposed to get these to my dad at the fireworks tent!"

"Oh!" Twilight grinned. "So you're Fire Cracker's daughter! Pinkie told me about you." She gazed at her face. "Though she didn't bring up the important details…"

Dawn chuckled. "Now I know why she thought I looked familiar."

"Here, I'll help you clean up."

"Oh, I can't let you do that. You're a princess and…"

"It's no problem, really. I love cleaning up."

She used her magic and started mending the crates. Dawn stared slack-jawed at her horn. Twilight noticed.

"What?"

"Something else we have in common!"

Dawn lit up her horn as she began organizing the fireworks sticks. Twilight gasped at the fact that their magical auras were both magenta.

"Amazing," she uttered. "So what else do we have in common?"

"How about you ask a question and then I ask a question?" Dawn suggested.

"Fair enough." The princess continued her mending as she asked her first question: "How do you feel about books?"

"Oh, I love books! I don't own a lot though and don't have a lot of time to read."

"I can't even count the number of books I've read! I used to live in a library full of them!"

"Wow! I can only imagine that may books!"

Twilight chuckled. "It's funny. Just the other night I was reading The Prince and the Pauper."

Dawn stopped levitating the fireworks and gasped. "No kidding?! That's my favorite book!"

"Really?"

"Yeah! I read a bit of it almost every night, including last night!"

The two locked eyes and stared at each other's faces again.

"I've heard of uncanny coincidences," Twilight said, "but you have to admit, even in a magical world, this is just incredible!"

"I know!" Dawn exclaimed. Then she frowned suddenly. "Huh. I guess that means I'm the pauper."

The princess' face fell. "Oh. Are you…poor?"

The unicorn shrugged. "Only compared to…most. At least we have a roof over our heads…for now."

"Gee."

"But we get by. I mean come on. It could be worse, right?"

"I suppose." Twilight felt she should change the subject. "Okay. Your turn."

"Hmm," Dawn said, tapping her chin. "Do you like comic books?"

"Not really, but Spike does."

"Spike?"

"My baby dragon. He's my closest friend and number one assistant. I've never read his comics, but we did get sucked into one."

Dawn gasped. "Really? That's so cool! How'd that happen?"

"Word of advice: don't shop at the House of Enchanted Comics."

The unicorn giggled. "You mean they're literally enchanted?"

"Yup, and a whole lot of trouble. Next question: do you study, and if so, what?"

"I don't really study much, except pyrotechnics. It's a job requirement, you know?"

"I once read a book on pyrotechnics. It sounds complicated."

"Not really. Roll up a tube, toss in some stars, sprinkle some black powder, light the end and boom! Aerial fireworks! Dad and I have been making them together since I got my cutie mark. Well, of course, I wasn't allowed to handle the chemicals until I was older."

"I've been studying magic since I first saw Celestia raise the summer sun, as well as anything else that interests me, mostly science, history and rhetoric."

"Sheesh. Where do you find the time to learn all that?"

Twilight hung her head. "I don't. Not anymore, anyway."

Dawn wondered what that meant and was about to ask when a sudden pain in her head interrupted her. Her magic stopped as she put her hoof to her head and dropped the fireworks she had been levitating.

"Are you okay?" Twilight asked.

"No," the unicorn groaned. "My head hurts."

The princess looked at her closely. "Have you been sleeping well?"

"You kidding? I never sleep well! I stayed up all night finishing this order and had to catch the early train!"

"That would explain it. Working too hard and not getting enough sleep can affect your magic. It happens to me sometimes."

"This happens at least three times a week."

"Goodness. Maybe you should get some rest." Twilight entwined her foreleg with hers. "Come on. My room's on this floor. You can lie on my bed for a bit."

"Oh, but I don't want to be a bother, Princess."

"Don't be silly. A princess is always willing to help her subjects, as well as her friends."

"But the fireworks, I'm supposed to get them to my dad and…"

Twilight's horn glowed. "We'll just bring them along with us. Besides, we won't really need them until tomorrow night."

"No, I can carry them myself…"

"You're in no condition to do such a thing at the moment."

"But…"

"No arguments!"

Dawn sighed in defeat. She really didn't want to argue with a princess, but she still felt bad that a royal was carrying her load and walking her down the hall. It just didn't sit right, but then again, Twilight wasn't what she expected a princess to be like. So far, she had treated her like an equal rather than another common subject. Was she always like that or was she only being nice because they were lookalikes?

How did that happen anyway? How was it that she resembled a princess? They'd already ruled out the possibility that they were long-lost twins.

Twilight was wondering the same thing. Perhaps they were distant cousins and shared a great-great-great-great-great-grandparent or something? A part of her was still saying Dawn was a changeling, but if so, why would the changeling not copy her completely?

When they reached Twilight's room, Dawn let out a gasp and she suddenly felt lighter than air.

"This is your room?!" she exclaimed as she gazed at the glittering crystal walls and furniture.

"Only during my visit," Twilight replied.

"Still! By Celestia's beard, this is amazing!"

The alicorn raised an eyebrow. "Um, Celestia doesn't have a beard…"

"I mean look at the floor! So shiny, I can see myself! And a closet!" She opened the green armoire up and gawked at the colorful gowns. "So many dresses!" She felt the fabric. "Is this silk?"

"Actually, it's satin, but…"

"And the bed!" She walked over to the purple queen-sized bed. "It's the biggest bed I've ever seen!"

"It's really not that big…"

"Oh my!" Dawn squealed as she touched the mattress with her hoofs. "It's so…soft!"

Without asking, she leapt backward onto the bed, spread out her legs and let out a content sigh.

"Forget Heaven! I'm in Elysium!"

Twilight blinked. "Technically, Heaven and Elysium are one in the same, both being spiritual utopian worlds for departed…"

"Who cares? It's paradise!"

The alicorn smiled at the unicorn's enthusiasm. "I suppose it is a nice room…"

Dawn propped herself up on her elbow. "Nice? Didn't you hear me comparing it with Elysium? What I'd give to have a room like this!"

"Oh, what's your room like?" Twilight asked as she seated herself on the bed beside her.

"It's a mess! And it's cramped! And the bed is lumpy!"

"Why not get a new mattress? Or at least clean things up a bit?"

"Any idea how much a mattress costs? And I don't have time to clean things up!"

"Hmm," Twilight uttered, rubbing her chin.

She summoned a blackboard in front of them and in chalk drew a two-column chart. One column was labeled "Similarities," the other "Differences."

"Okay, so first there's our faces," Twilight said, putting a mark in the first column, "then our eyes, our mane color, our fur color…"

"What are you doing?" Dawn questioned.

"Just keeping track of how many traits we have in common and how many we don't. For instance, under "Differences," I would put one tally to represent our separate cutie marks and then one more for my tidiness and your sloppiness."

"Hey!"

"I just want to see how alike we really are."

Dawn tilted her head at the blackboard and shrugged. "Okay, I'll bite. Might be fun."

"Let me just put a few more tallies. Hmm, so we like to read, I'm a princess and you're…um, not; we have the same height; I have a greater habit of studying…"


An hour later, the doppelgangers were laughing on the bed.

"Okay, I've got one!" Dawn declared. "This is a little weird, but how do you feel about…ketchup and peanut butter sandwiches?"

Twilight gasped and then narrowed her eyes at her. "I love them."

"No kidding? Most ponies think it's gross!"

"I know, right? Though personally, I don't blame them for that thought. It's not a combination you would initially think of."

"Well, when ketchup is cheaper than jelly, you take what you can get."

"Okay," Twilight said as she made a tally on the board. "So far that's eighteen similarities and twenty-seven differences. Seems most of what we share in common are our physical traits."

"It's no biggy. This just proves we're not clones."

"Then how do we look so much alike then?"

Dawn shrugged. "You know what? It could just be one of those funny twists of Fate. It's best not to question it."

Twilight sighed. "I suppose you're right. If there's one thing I learned, it's that Fate has a funny way of sneaking up on you." She tapped her chin. "Then again… Dawn, when's your birthday?"

"April 25th. Why?"

The alicorn dropped her piece of chalk. "That's my birthday!"

Dawn's mouth dropped open. "Seriously?"

"Yes! At 6:37 P.M.!"

"I don't know what time I was born, just that my parents told me it was at the crack of dawn. That's how I got my name."

"I was born just as the sun was setting, at twilight!"

Both were silent for a while.

"That's the connection!" Twilight exclaimed. "We were born on the same day! Somehow, that made us identical!"

"Wow," Dawn whispered. "But…why?"

"I don't know. Guess it is Fate after all."

"But I mean…we're from completely different worlds! You're a princess for crying out loud! By the way, how come you don't wear a crown?"

"Oh. I just don't like to wear it that often."

"But you still have a crown, right?"

"Of course."

Dawn sprang up excitedly. "Can I see?"

"Sure. Give me a second."

Twilight used her magic to open her side table drawer and take out her golden crown with the five magenta gems encrusted into its points. Dawn's jaw dropped again as the beautiful headpiece floated into her hooves.

"Whoa," she uttered, staring at the gems. "Are…are these real?"

"They're four carats each," Twilight explained.

"It's so…shiny!"

"I suppose it's nice, but my old crown…"

"Can I, um…?"

Dawn pointed to her head.

"Go ahead. I won't mind."

The unicorn grinned widely and placed the crown on her head. She rushed over to crystal vanity and examined herself in the mirror. She gazed in awe as she adjusted the tiara.

"Whoa," she said again, not taking her eyes off her reflection. "You are so lucky, Twilight! You have everything!"

Twilight beamed. "I don't know about everything…"

"You're a princess! You live in a castle, wear a crown, can do whatever you want whenever you want…"

"Not really," the alicorn sighed, walking to the window with her head down. "Whenever I want to do something, something else always gets in the way."

Dawn huffed. "Tell me about it! I have to work two jobs!"

"At least you don't have ponies asking you for favors all the time or following you wherever you go."

"You mean adoring fans and reporters putting you on the front pages of magazines? Man, that would be cool! No pony really knows me back in Hoofington. The only friends I have are Daphne and my dad. Well, at least while working, I'm spending time with them."

"I wish I had more time with my friends. Now I'm always busy. At least when I was still a regular old unicorn, I did my own scheduling. Now for the first time in my life, I'm wishing for a day without schedules!"

"But you can order ponies around, get them to do whatever! No pony tells you what to do!"

"You'd be surprised. I don't mind helping with the fair, and I'd do anything for Cadence, but sometimes…I just wish I wouldn't have to do anything or be anywhere for once. Now I've got this prince wanting to marry me…"

"Prince?!" Dawn exclaimed, gaping at her. "You don't mean…Prince Blueblood?!"

"Yeah," Twilight sighed.

"Prince Blueblood wants to marry you?!"

"Yeah, but I don't want to."

"But he's so handsome!" Dawn blushed. "Of course, I've never seen him myself, but I hear he's an Adonis!"

"He's also pig-headed and self-centered."

"Oh, he can't be that bad. He is a prince, after all. Aren't princes supposed to be charming?"

The alicorn snorted. "He's an exception to the rule."

Dawn didn't seem to hear that last comment as she gazed back in the mirror. She continued playing with the crown. Twilight smiled as she appeared in the mirror with her.

"It really is remarkable," she mused.

"I know, this crown is gorgeous!" the unicorn marveled.

"No, I meant the resemblance between us!"

"Oh, right," Dawn sighed, "except you're a beautiful princess."

"You're just as attractive, Dawn. We have the same face."

"Yeah, but you wear it better. Besides, I've got this rat's nest for a mane."

"Hmm," Twilight tapped her chin. "I wonder…" She turned to Dawn and illuminated her horn. "Hold still. I'd like to try something."

Dawn spun around in alarm. "What?"

She screamed as the princess shot a beam at her. When the light diminished, Dawn looked down at her body to see if any damage had been done. She gasped when she saw long dark blue locks of hair hanging down her shoulders. She touched them curiously.

"It's so…" she whispered, "smooth. And straight!"

She looked at her behind and saw that her tail had grown too. She reached back, stroked it and found that it was as smooth as her mane. She glanced back in the mirror and gasped again. She touched every part of her mane to be sure it was hers.

It was the same style as Twilight's.

"Sweet Celestia," she muttered. "I'm…hot!"

Twilight gazed in amazement at their almost matching reflections. "You look just like me!"

"Except you have those wicked highlights!"

"Just a moment."

After another spell, Dawn had streaks of pink and purple in her mane and tail. Twilight couldn't get over how incredible this was, for now Dawn looked just like the princess back when she was a unicorn, with the exception of her cutie mark.

"I could be you!" Dawn exclaimed, echoing the alicorn's thoughts.

The unicorn straightened up and put on a bored face.

"I, Princess Twilight Sparkle," she said in an uppity tone, "hereby command thee to fetch me my slippers!"

"I do not talk like that!" Twilight insisted, though she couldn't help but snicker.

"Maybe not in your head!"

They both laughed before looking back at themselves in the mirror and giving out a collective sigh.

"Silly, huh?" Dawn huffed, touching the crown again. "I mean come on. Me, a princess?"

Twilight's eyes widened as an idea formed in her head. She then glanced at Dawn and grinned mischievously. The unicorn saw this in the mirror and looked at the princess, frightened.

"Oh boy," she said. "I know that look. I get that look every time I plot revenge on my boss! You've got something diabolical on your mind! I know you're a princess and all, but whatever it is can't be good!"

Twilight's grin widened. "I have the most ingenious, though incredibly risky, plan ever!"

Dawn gulped. "What?"

"Oh, come on. Don't tell me you weren't thinking it."

"Thinking what?"

The alicorn rolled her eyes. "We look alike, you want to be a princess, and I want a break from being a princess, so…"

The unicorn blinked a few times before she gasped in realization. "Oh no…"

"You and I will trade places for the day, just like in The Prince and the Pauper!"

"Are you sure that…?"

Twilight ignored her as she quickly cast a spell to transform her mane and tail into Dawn's original style.

"I'll be you and you'll be me, and we'll switch back before any pony finds out!"

"But…" Dawn stammered. "We can't…can we?"

"It worked in the book, didn't it?"

"Yeah, but things went like totally wrong! I mean Prince Edward got kidnapped by Tom's drunken father and Tom almost became King without even knowing how to run a kingdom!"

"That won't happen. Equestria has no queen and your father's not a drunk, is he?"

"Well, no, but…what if we get caught? I mean…if I'm found out, won't I get thrown in jail for impersonating a princess? Or even…?"

Dawn gasped and grasped her neck in panic.

"Oh, it won't be for long," Twilight assured her. "What say we switch back tomorrow at three, before the fair is over? That way, we can both enjoy the fair and I can conduct the closing ceremonies with the other princesses and you can shoot the fireworks?"

"But…"

"Everything will be fine," Twilight said, putting her hoof on the unicorn's shoulder. "Think of this as a science experiment! Aren't you even the least bit curious to see if this'll work?"

Dawn glanced back at her reflection and the crown on her head. Me, a princess. It was her wish coming true. The opportunity was literally staring at her in the face. The question was: should she take it?

"Just one teeny problem," she said. "You're an alicorn! At least Edward and Tom were both unicorns! Wouldn't they find it suspicious if the princess suddenly didn't have wings?"

"Huh," Twilight said, rubbing her chin. "That is a problem."

The princess mentally went through every spell she had learned, trying to find one that would help. She'd never heard of a spell to turn one type of pony into another. The only one she knew could do that was Discord, but she was a little hesitant in calling him. Sure, he wouldn't pass up a chaotic opportunity such as this, but she wasn't sure she could count on him changing them back.

Then she wondered how she had become an alicorn in the first place. Celestia had never really explained it to her. Was that also thanks to Discord? Had Celestia cast a powerful spell that only she could perform?

That reminded her of another spell, one she had discovered in an old book in the Castle of the Two Sisters. She had used it once to turn herself and her friends into breezies. According to the book, transformation spells were so complicated that only an alicorn or unicorn with advanced magic could cast them. As a unicorn, transforming inanimate objects had been difficult, but as an alicorn, turning six ponies into breezies had been…well, a breeze.

She looked back at her wings and then at Dawn.

"Yes," she grinned. "It just might work."

"What might work?" Dawn asked, not sure if she wanted to know the answer.

Twilight placed her hooves firmly on the ground. "Just stand still. This won't hurt a bit."

"Wait, what're you doing?"

"Trust me. I've done this before. Once."

The unicorn bit her lip and shut her eyes tight. The princess wouldn't vaporize her, right?

Twilight closed her eyes too, but calmly. Her horn glowed slowly for a few seconds before emitting a ball of light. Dawn's eyes shot open as she was lifted into the air. A beam shot out of the alicorn's horn and hit the unicorn in the chest. Twilight then turned to the mirror and fired another beam. It bounced off the mirror towards herself. Now light was spiraling around her as she faced Dawn again, who closed her eyes as she was blinded by the next emission of light.


Far away in the mountains, in a land where rivers were made of chocolate and peppermint trees sprouted from the ground, the Lord of Chaos slept on a pink cloud made from cotton candy. He buried his face in the soft stickiness as he dreamt.

"I would love to have tea with you…" he mumbled. "Fluttershy…"

He woke with a start as his body started wriggling all over, causing him to fall and hit his head on the ground. He cursed himself for making it cement.

Discord rubbed his head as he reflected on the chaotic vibe he had just had.

"Now what in the world was that?!"


"I don't believe it…" Twilight whispered.

Dawn didn't know how long her eyes had been closed, but it had apparently been a while, for she could hear Twilight giggling.

"You can look now, Dawn."

The unicorn hesitantly opened her eyes and gasped at the pony in front of her. If looking at Twilight hadn't been like looking in a mirror before, it certainly was now.

"W-what happened to your wings?"

The ex-alicorn smiled and pointed to the mirror. Dawn turned her head and screamed, nearly falling over. Once she had balanced herself, she looked again.

Sticking out of her back were two enormous purple wings.

"What in the…?" the former unicorn uttered, spinning in a circle to get a better look at the wings. "I'm a… How did you…?"

"An old spell I found in a book at the Castle of the Two Sisters," Twilight explained. "It changed our forms without changing our magical capabilities, so I'll be able to change us back." She chuckled. "Now you look like a real princess!"

Dawn gazed back in the mirror and smiled. "You know? I think we can really pull this off!"

She squealed in delight as she touched her wings. Then she frowned at the firework on her flank.

"You wouldn't happen to have a spell to change our cutie marks, would you?"

Twilight cringed. "Trust me. You do not want to go there. However…"

Her horn glowed again and summoned a paintbrush and several buckets of different color paints. She dipped the brush in magenta and flew it across Dawn's flank. After adding more colors, she did some painting on her flank, and soon the lookalikes had each other's cutie marks.

"That should do it," Twilight said, poofing the paints away. "Now to teach you everything you need to know if you're going to be me for a day."

She summoned a flipchart and a pointer. She flipped the first page and pointed to a picture of Spike.

"Okay, first there's Spike, my number one assistant and friend. He was given to me as an egg, the same day Princess Celestia made me her protégé…"


"…and that's how I got my castle. Did you get all that? Dawn?"

"Huh, wha…?" Dawn exclaimed as she awoke from her slumber.

Twilight tilted her head. "Did you hear any of what I said?"

"Oh, yeah, but…could you go back to the part about your daily nutrition? I kinda spaced out with all the talk of food."

The princess sighed and made the flipchart vanish. "I'll sum it up. Best friends: Spike, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. Show every pony courtesy, stand up straight and if you don't know the answer to something, just say "That's fine," or "I completely disagree." Got that?"

Dawn nodded hesitantly. "I think I do."

"Now, what do I need to know about being you?"

The former unicorn shrugged. "My dad's the red unicorn with the beard. Oh, and in case you have to make fireworks…"

"I read all about them. It shouldn't be too hard."

"Are you sure? I mean I'm used to it, but it can be dangerous…"

"If I can take on the magic of four alicorns, how hard could creating a few explosions be?"

"Wait. I'm an alicorn now. Am I gonna have to perform some fancy spell or…fly?!"

"You shouldn't have to, unless there's an impending disaster, but what could happen in one day? And don't worry about the flying. I'm not so good at it either."

The door swung open before they could discuss anything further.

"Twilight?" Spike called. "Are you in…wha?"

The dragon's jaw dropped when he saw Twilight and a mare that looked a great deal like her.

"What the…she's…who…how…?"

"Oh, you must be Spike!" Twilight said with a grin.

"Huh?" Dawn said. "But I thought you knew…?"

Twilight nudged her in the side and winked. It took a second for the disguised unicorn to get the message.

"Oh, right! Hi, uh, Spike! This is Twi…I mean…Dawn! Yes, this is Dawn! And I'm Twilight! Princess Twilight Sparkle, that's me!"

Twilight tried her best not to shake her head. "Right! Um, thanks for your help, Princess."

"My help?"

"You know, with my headache?"

"Oh, yes, of course! Yeah, well…you best get going. Don't you have those fireworks to deliver?"

"Right!"

Twilight stepped out the door and levitated the crates in the hallway.

"It was, um, nice meeting you, Princess! You too, Spike!"

The disguised princess trotted down the hall and snickered when she was sure Spike couldn't hear her. Meanwhile, the dragon was watching her in shock.

"She…" he pointed. "She looks just like you!"

"I know," Dawn laughed nervously. "Weird, right? You could say we're the same pony."

Spike shook out of his daze. "Anyway, where've you been? We have to finish the things on the list!"

"List?"

"The list of things to get done before the fair tomorrow?"

"Oh, that list! Um…just a moment, Spot. I need to change."

The dragon raised an eyebrow. "Spot? Change?"

"I'm a princess, right? I need to look amazing for my subjects, right?"

"Uh, sure, but since when do you care about…?"

"Just give me a minute! Wait right here, Spick!"

She shut the door, leaving the dragon confused.

"Spick?"

Dawn rushed to the armoire and pulled out as many dresses as she could carry. She went over to the vanity and pressed them against her body.

"Whoa," she said for what felt like the fiftieth time that day. "If Daphne could see me now!"

Author's Note:

This was a tough chapter to write, plus there was BronyCon in the way. I had to watch various versions of The Prince and the Pauper for inspiration when I was stuck (you've probably noticed I started some PMVs on the Barbie version). I also made some teeny tiny references to different versions.

I figured if Twilight can turn ponies into breezies, she could turn one into an alicorn too. Wow, who knew Twilight could be so diabolical? Well, you've seen "Lesson Zero" and "Magical Duel." She can be devious.