• Published 22nd Jul 2014
  • 5,004 Views, 266 Comments

The Princess and the Unicorn - DisneyFanatic23



Based on "The Prince and the Pauper." Princess Twilight wishes she can go back to being a regular unicorn, while Dawn wants the life of a princess. When they meet and discover they look alike, they switch places. What will become of this?

  • ...
20
 266
 5,004

The Meeting

Dawn's mouth dropped open as soon as she saw the room Pinkie Pie had gotten for her and her father. It was small, but the walls were pink and the beds had lush pillows and the carpets were warm and fuzzy beneath her hooves.

"We're staying here all weekend?!"

"Yup!" Pinkie Pie chimed. "I would've hooked you up at the palace, but the guest rooms were booked."

"Are you kidding?!" Dawn exclaimed as she fell backward on one of the beds. She sighed at how soft it was. "I've died and gone to Heaven!"

Fire Cracker chuckled. "This was very generous of you, Pinkie."

Pinkie grinned. "Always willing to help out a friend!"

Dawn gasped when she noticed another door and galloped over to it. "What's in here?"

"Oh. That's the bathroom."

"You mean it comes with a bathroom too?!" She opened the door and stepped inside. "Wow, it's so clean and…"

She let out an ear-piercing scream.

"Dawnie, what's the matter?" Fire Cracker asked in concern.

"DAD, IT HAS A FREAKING BATHTUB!" They heard the sound of running water. "AND IT WORKS!"

Pinkie looked at the red unicorn questioningly.

"We live a…sheltered life," he explained before calling to his daughter. "Sweetie, isn't there something you'd like to say to Pinkie?"

The lavender pony poked her head out, wearing a big grin. "Oh, thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! Hey, do these little soaps cost extra?"

"No, they're free," replied Pinkie.

"Good. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to take a good, loooooong bath!"

She squealed excitedly before slamming the door. Fire Cracker laughed and shook his head.

"Sorry, Pinkie. Guess we're going to have to wait on that tour."

"That's okay," Pinkie assured him. "My friends are expecting me anyway. Oh, but be at the fairgrounds at one o'clock! The fair is tomorrow and we've got to get busy, busy, busy!"

She was about to bounce away when she turned back to Fire Cracker.

"By the way, does Dawn have a sister?"

The stallion scrunched his nose. "No."

"A cousin?"

"No."

"Second cousin?"

"No."

"Third cousin six times removed by a ninth cousin?"

"Err…no."

"Any distant relatives of any kind that might look a teensy bit like Dawn?"

"The only other family we have is my Uncle Smokey, but we haven't heard from him since his ship left Horseshoe Bay."

Pinkie's eyes blinked and then narrowed in determination as she stomped down the hall. "I'll figure it out. I, Pinkamena Diane Pie, won't rest until I find out where I've seen that face before!"


Twilight gazed out the window of her room in the Crystal Palace. It was a splendid view. She could see almost the entire empire. She saw little crystal foals playing happily in the streets: jumping rope, bouncing balls, shooting marbles. She didn't need to hear them to know they were laughing.

She found it funny that she was envying them. After all, she didn't really do those things when she was a filly. Instead of playing with the other foals, she would sit on a patch of soft grass and read. It seemed like the more royal duties she fulfilled, the more she felt like she needed a break. Not just a few short hours to read, but a full day, maybe even longer.

Her head turned sharply at a soft knock. Flash Sentry was standing in the doorway.

"Permission to enter, your highness?"

Once Twilight was over her shock, she replied, "Granted."

He stepped into the room, but didn't approach her. "Princess Cadence asked me to call you back to the throne room to begin preparations for the fair."

"Oh," the alicorn uttered. "Right." She glanced back out the window. "The fair."

Of course he was only here on business, not because he wanted to talk to her or anything.

The guard raised an eyebrow and took a cautious step forward. "Is something wrong, your highness?"

Twilight winced and let out a groan as he said "your highness."

"You don't have to address me so formally, you know," she said coolly. "Just Twilight would be fine."

"Oh," Flash said, smiling a little. "Do you have all the royal guards call you Twilight?"

She was grateful he couldn't see her face, for she was blushing.

"Um…no?"

She winced as soon as she told the truth.

"Really?" Flash said slyly. "So I guess I'm a special case?"

A shiver ran up her spine at his tone. His professional air had completely dissolved now and he was sounding like the other Flash.

"Um…" she stammered. "Well, I…"

She gasped when she turned and found that he was standing right beside her. Now he could see her face for sure, and that it was turning as red as a tomato. She made the mistake of looking into his deep blue eyes. If she hadn't been sitting, her knees would've collapsed under her then and there.

She didn't know how long she had been staring, but Flash didn't give any sign that he minded. He just kept smiling that friendly smile, which didn't make the situation any better.

His shape was different, of course, but every other characteristic just reminded her of the human Flash: those eyes, that smile, that playful yet friendly tone.

She had to say something quick, or else she was going to lose it.

"Well, I…" she stuttered. "I-I just don't want t-t-to think of you as a…g-g-guard, b-but more as a…f-f-friend?"

She mentally slapped herself for sounding so stupid. She expected him to laugh, but instead, his smile just grew wider.

"Okay," he said with a bow. "As you command, your highness. Or should I say Twilight? Or Twi? How about just Light?"

The alicorn giggled at his playfulness, which eased her nerves. "Just Twilight, please."

"So, as a friend, may I ask what you were looking at out there?"

Her smile faded. "Oh. It was nothing. I was just watching the crystal ponies out there." She sighed. "They don't have to worry about anything. Well, now that Sombra's gone, anyway. They don't have any endless lists of royal duties to go through every day."

Flash tilted his head. "Princess Cadence told me you loved endless lists."

Twilight looked up at him with wide eyes and gulped. "W-what else did she say about me?"

"Oh, not much. Just that you're really smart and pretty and courageous and independent…" He paused. "Actually, she talks about you a lot."

I can only imagine why, the alicorn thought, her cheeks flushing again.

She suddenly felt so self-centered that they were only talking about her. She wanted to know more about him.

"So Flash…where are you from?"

"I…"

"Hello?"

The two tuned to see Spike standing in the doorway.

"We're all waiting for you guys!" the dragon complained as he held up a scroll. "Come on, we've got a schedule to keep!"

Twilight never thought she'd ever think this, but she was beginning to hate schedules.

"He's right," Flash admitted. "There's a lot to be done today."

"Yeah," she sighed.

He gave her one more smile before walking out the door. "I'll see you later."

She beamed. "Bye."

Twilight watched in awe as the handsome guard left. Spike followed her gaze and gave her a suspicious look. He crossed his arms.

"I know what you're thinking, Twilight."

"W-what?" she said, shaking out of her daze.

"Come on. I may be young, but I'm not stupid. A tall, handsome stallion, looks a lot like a guy you really got attached to in the other world…"

Twilight blushed for a second, but regained her composure. "So what if he reminds me of the other Flash? So what if he's…attractive?"

"Twilight, this isn't the same Flash Sentry you met in the other world. Sure, he has the same name and looks like him, but you still don't know him. He might not be anything like the other one."

"Why not? That other Rarity and Fluttershy and all the others were just like the ones in this world."

"Yeah, but…you should still be careful. I…I don't want you to get hurt, Twilight."

Twilight grinned and patted the dragon on the head. "It's sweet that you're looking out for me, Spike, but I can handle myself."

He smiled up at her. "Okay. Now," he held up his scroll, "the fair…"

She sighed. "Right."

It wasn't a total bummer. After preparations, they would have a whole day to enjoy the fair and she'd finally get the break she'd been wishing for.


"What's next on the list, Spike?" Twilight asked as they walked through the fairgrounds.

"Fireworks," Spike replied. "We have to set up the tent and store all the fireworks inside until the evening tomorrow."

"Let's see," the alicorn mused as she levitated the ground plan in front of her. "It should be over by the crystal corn stand."

They saw that Pinkie, Rainbow Dash and the Cutie Mark Crusaders were almost finished putting the tent up.

"How's it going, girls?" Twilight inquired.

The fillies grunted as they each held a rope in their mouth. After Rainbow hammered the three ropes into the ground with stakes, they shouted:

"Doing good!"

"Except this rope keeps running away from me!" Pinkie exclaimed as she tugged on her end. "Come on, rope! Stop slipping!"

She cried out as the rope pulled her forward. Suddenly, it stopped when Pinkie felt some pony else tug on the rope. She turned around and gasped when she saw who it was.

"Hey there, little darling!"

"CHEESE!" Pinkie squealed as she threw her hooves around the orange stallion.

"Pinkie!" Rainbow shouted.

In their excitement, Pinkie and Cheese had let go of the rope. Twilight snagged it with her magic and hammered it firmly into the ground.

"Sorry," Pinkie said guiltily before turning back to Cheese. "What are you doing here?"

He shrugged. "My Cheesy Sense told me there was a big party going on here involving you. And, well…" He blushed. "How could I not come?"

"It's good that you're here," Twilight smiled. "We need all the help we can get for this thing if we're gonna get it done by tomorrow. Rainbow, girls, get to work on the next tent."

"Roger!" Rainbow and the Cutie Mark Crusaders saluted before taking off.

"Now, Pinkie, where are those fireworks you promised us?"

"Coming through!" called a voice.

Twilight turned and gawked when she saw a tower of crates encased in a red aura. The unicorn stallion levitating them was panting heavily.

"Good heavens, Pinkie!" the princess exclaimed. "How many fireworks did you order?"

"Oh, just fifty," Pinkie replied nonchalantly.

"Fifty?" Cheese Sandwich repeated, crossing his hooves. "I'm surprised at you, Pinkie! Sure, fifty fireworks would be good for a birthday bash, but for an event like this, you'll need at least a hundred!"

"No, no, no, no, no! I meant fifty crates."

His face lit up. "Oh. Well, in that case…" He snickered. "Get it? In that case?!"

The two party ponies burst out laughing. Twilight shook her head with a grin.

"Guess we can check fireworks off the list," she muttered to Spike.

As she walked away from the tent, she nearly bumped into another tower of boxes. Both she and the unicorn levitating them let out a cry.

"Oh gosh!" Twilight gasped.

"Who…what?" the pony on the other side of the crates uttered.

"Oh, excuse me!"

"It's no problem!"

"I'll just…walk around then."

"Yeah, you do that."

Twilight moved past the pony without glancing at her face. "Now, what's…?"

She trailed off when she noticed Spike looking curiously over his shoulder.

"Spike, what is it?"

The dragon squinted. "I thought I saw…" He shook his head. "Never mind."

Dawn heaved a sigh of relief that she hadn't crashed into that pony. She could've severely hurt her, or blown up the entire empire if she wasn't careful. No, she was overreacting. These fireworks were designed to only explode when lit. Still, she had to be prudent not to drop them.

She took in a deep breath the minute she set them down. She then noticed her father leaning against one of the crates, cradling his head.

"Another one of your migraines, Dad?" she asked gently.

"I'm fine," Fire Cracker said, holding up his hoof. "I just need a little rest."

Meanwhile, Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich were counting the crates.

"I got twenty-three on my side," Pinkie declared.

"Twenty-two over here," said Cheese.

"Hey, there are only forty-five! Or maybe we miscounted."

She counted them again, by herself, this time, but she came up with the same number.

"That's funny," Fire Cracker said, rubbing his forehead. "We came here with fifty."

"We must have left some in the cellar by accident," Dawn suggested.

Her father grunted as he attempted to rise. "I'll get them."

"No," his daughter softly commanded. "You take a break, Dad. I'll get them."

As she exited the tent, Cheese Sandwich watched her with a confused look on his face.

"Hmm, she looks familiar," he muttered to Pinkie.

"You mean you see it too?" Pinkie asked. "I've been trying to figure out where I've seen her before all day! And she doesn't have a sister or a third cousin six times removed by a ninth cousin."

"Well, I've traveled all of Equestria. I could've seen her at one of my parties. Where does she live?"

"Hoofington."

Cheese tapped his chin. "Hoofington, Hoofington, Hoofington…" He paused and then shrugged. "Nope. Not ringing any bells."

"Ooh! There's a crystal bell tower not far from here! Maybe that'll help!"

Most ponies would've scratched their heads at this idea, but Cheese Sandwich just grinned.

"That's a fantastic idea!"

"Race ya there!"

The two party ponies skidded off at the speed of lightning. Fire Cracker, who had only heard half their conversation, was scratching his head, as most ponies would've done. After a while, he couldn't help but chuckle.

"They make a perfect couple."


"…apple fritters, apple dumplings and apple brown betties!"

Twilight and Spike were checking on the food in the palace kitchen and Applejack had just finished listing the number of baked goods she had ready and in the oven.

"Come mornin' light," the cowgirl declared, "my apple cart will be filled with delicious treats!"

"Food: check!" Spike said proudly. "Okay, next we need to check on the rides."

"Princess Twilight?"

The alicorn lit up at the voice and turned to the stallion in the doorway. "Flash! Nice to see you again!"

Spike blinked. "Uh…you just saw him two hours ago."

Twilight blushed awkwardly, but Flash grinned.

"Nice to see you too, Princess."

"I told you," the alicorn insisted. "Call me Twilight."

"Actually, Princess Cadence sent me."

Her ears drooped. "Of course, she did."

"She and Prince Shining Armor wish to see you in the throne room as soon as possible."

"Oh. Alright. Spike, you stay here."

The dragon heaved a sigh. "Finally! Now I can get to reading this!"

He took a Power Ponies comic book out of his backpack. While Twilight wasn't a connoisseur of comics, she saw that it was brand new.

"Where'd you get that?"

"At the Crystal Comic Bookstore," Spike replied as he sat on a flour sack in the corner. "Did you know they had a comic store here?"

Applejack chuckled. "Don't worry. I'll make sure he doesn't get sucked into this one."

The mares laughed at their inside joke. Spike grunted while Flash raised an eyebrow.

"What was that about?" he asked Twilight as he walked alongside her down the hallway.

"Long story," the princess giggled. "Let's just say Spike's not allowed to buy from the House of Enchanted Comics ever again."

A long, awkward period of silence followed. Once again, Twilight was trying to find the appropriate topic to bring up.

"So…any idea what Cadence and Shining Armor want? Is there a problem of some sort?"

"Beats me," Flash replied with a shrug. "All I know is that Princess Cadence looked distressed while reading a letter from Canterlot and asked me to get you at once."

When they entered the throne room, Cadence was pacing back and forth, looking uncomfortable. Shining Armor was standing off to the side, growing more worried with every second he watched his wife.

"What's going on?" Twilight asked.

Cadence paused and bit her lip. "Flash, I wish to discuss this matter with Twilight in private."

The guard bowed. "Of course, your highness."

He took the liberty of shutting the doors behind him, leaving the three royals to their matters. Cadence looked sincerely at her sister-in-law.

"Twilight, you are familiar with my cousin, Prince Blueblood?"

The younger alicorn cringed at the mention of the prince. She had never met him, but Rarity had told her he was rude, stuck-up and full of himself. Twilight responded to the question with a slow nod.

"Well," Cadence said, glancing at her hooves, "I just received word from him that he's coming to the Crystal Fair, and…he wishes to meet you."

Twilight tilted her head. "Meet me?"

"Now, Twilie," Shining Armor said, stepping toward his sister, "you should know that since he is a prince, your only duty is to treat him with respect."

"I knew that, but why is his coming here such a big deal?"

Cadence looked away. "There have been rumors…and…this isn't the first time Blueblood's asked to meet you…"

"Well, sure. He'd probably want to know all the royals."

"That's not all. You see…for some time, my cousin's been looking for a wife and…he originally was going to settle for a young duchess or some mare of high society. But since you came and…well, you're the only princess who isn't related to him…he might…"

Twilight's eyes widened as the pieces came together. "Are you saying that Prince Blueblood wants to marry me?"

The pink alicorn nodded. Twilight looked to her brother in desperation.

"But I don't have to, do I? I mean there are no arranged marriages anymore, right? You guys married for love, didn't you?"

"We're not asking you to marry him, Twilight," Shining Armor assured her.

"Then why are you telling me all this?"

"We're telling you this so you can be on your guard," Cadence explained. "You have every right to refuse his advances, if he makes any. However, you must still show him courtesy. Obnoxious as my cousin is, he's still a prince. You don't have to go anywhere with him. The worst you'll have to do is talk with him or sit beside him in the banquet hall. It is customary for the royals to sit at the high end of the table. All I'm saying is that while he is visiting, be kind but firm with him."

Twilight bit her lip. "When's he arriving?"

"A few hours."

"Don't worry, Twilie," Shining Armor said, putting a hoof around his sister. "If he tries anything, he'll answer to me."

She sighed. "Okay."

Shining Armor and Cadence exchanged a confused glance.

"I didn't expect you to be excited," the latter said, "but…is something else bothering you, Twilight?"

Twilight looked up at her sister-in-law. "Remember a short while ago when I said I wanted to play a bigger role in Equestria? Well, now I feel like it's too big of a role." She hung her head. "I know, I know. I must seem very nit-picky, but… Lately, it's been nothing but duty after duty. While I'm happy to perform every one of them, I…I feel like I need a break. I haven't spent any real quality time with my friends in weeks, and there's hardly a moment where I can just…well, do nothing."

Cadence stared down at the younger alicorn and smiled. "I understand, Twilight."

"You do?"

The pink princess walked towards one of the windows and motioned for the other to follow.

"When I was a teenager," she began, "I had the same problem. There were times when I just wanted to hang out with my friends or your brother. However, royal duties would get in the way every now and then. I'm going to tell you the same thing Aunt Celestia told me when I approached her with this issue."

She glanced out the window. "Look at those ponies out there. What do you see?"

Twilight followed her gaze and grinned down at the foals running about. "Young fillies and colts that have no royal duties to worry about?"

"They may not have royal duties, but they still have duties. They have a duty to obey their parents, to go to sleep on time, to eat their greens, to go to school and do their homework, so they can learn and grow up well. And look at that carrot dog vendor over there. He has a duty to make and sell carrot dogs so he can feed himself and his family. Even that grandmother there has a duty: to take care of herself in her golden years and watch over her grandchildren."

Cadence turned to Twilight again. "Don't you see? Every pony, big and small, no matter what their station, has a duty in life. Usually, that duty must come before pleasure."

The lavender alicorn sighed. "I guess. But don't all ponies deserve a break? Even for just one day?"

Her sister-in-law grinned. "I'll promise you this. Tomorrow, when all preparations are done, you can go out and enjoy the fair without me asking you for any more favors. Does that sound good?"

This cheered Twilight up a little, but the thought of Prince Blueblood and a possible crowd of groupies following her all day kept her blues at bay.


As Dawn carried the last five crates through the crystal halls, she couldn't help but gaze at the wonders around her. She paused at beautiful stain glass windows depicting the history of the Crystal Empire. Even a doorknob made her gasp, for nearly everything was made of pure, sparkling crystal.

"Princess Cadence must love living here," she muttered to herself. "I wonder how long it takes to polish this place. How many servants would it even take?"

She was snapped out of her thoughts as one of the boxes slid off the top. She discovered it in time and quickly caught it before it could hit the floor.

"Focus, Dawn," she whispered. "Don't drop them, don't drop them, don't drop them…"

She stopped suddenly and found herself in an unfamiliar hallway.

"Okay, where am I?"

Around the corner, Princess Twilight was walking slowly with her head down.

"Just what I need," she mumbled. "A stuck-up prince coming to court me."

The very thought of Prince Blueblood standing within two inches of her made her shudder. While she had never spoken with the prince, she had seen him a couple of times, so she knew what he looked like. Even as a teenager, she had not found the prince very attractive. She didn't know why. There was something about his suave appearance that made her uncomfortable.

Would he even be nice to her? He hadn't treated her friend Rarity very courteously. Even if he did act the opposite towards her, would it be because he really liked her or because she was a princess? That went hand in hand with the question of why he wanted to court her. She was the only princess in the land who wasn't his relative. In his eyes, she was his only option.

"Maybe if I act so horrible, he would give up on me." She sighed. "But I have to be polite to him, or else I'll let Cadence down."

Meanwhile, Dawn was spinning around, trying to figure out which way to go. She'd only been in this castle once before, but had been concentrating so much on the crates that she hadn't been paying attention to where she had been going.

"Do I go this way or…? Oh!"

She hastily caught another falling crate.

"Phew! Okay. So the cellar's back there, so if I go back the way I came…" She paused again. "Or did I come from this way? Or did I…? Ugh! Everything looks the same!"

Twilight paused when she heard a shout from around the corner. "Hello?"

"Gah!"

The voice startled Dawn, breaking her concentration. The pink aura disappeared from the crates and they plummeted to the floor. Dawn gasped and caught them with her magic, but her hold on them was unstable. They started drifting towards her.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!"

She maneuvered around to the other side of the crates so they would miss her. Unfortunately, her sudden move created a pull on them and they floated towards her again. This time, faster.

"Oh boy!" she cried, backing away.

"Hello?" Twilight called again as she rounded the corner.

"Yipe!"

The crystal floor caused Dawn's hooves to slip out from under her. She landed on her rear and started sliding backwards across the floor, the rogue boxes pursuing her. Twilight finally looked in the direction of the noise.

"Is someone…? Gah!"

"Incoming!"

There was a loud crash as one mare collided into the other and the boxes, released from Dawn's magic, fell on top of them. The wooden crates burst open and firework shells flooded the place.

Twilight crawled out of the pile, tossing a broken plank off her head.

"What in the…?"

Her ears perked up when she heard a painful groan. She turned and saw a lavender rear end and dark blue tail sticking out from under the sea of unlit fireworks.

"Oh goodness!" the princess exclaimed as she climbed over the mess. "Don't worry! I'll get you out of there."

Her horn glowed pink and she gently pulled the mare out of the clutter. It was a unicorn about her age with a dark blue mane.

"Are you okay?" Twilight asked, holding out her hoof.

Dawn glanced up at the lavender hoof and slowly took it.

"Yeah," she grunted as the stranger helped her up. "Thank…you."

Author's Note:

I know, I'm mean. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Though the chapter was getting lengthy and I don't usually like my chapter exceeding 7000 words, so I split it up.

Cheese Sandwich popped out of nowhere. And yes...Blueblood's going to be in this. I find it interesting how I've never really written about him yet. Might be a new challenge.

In case anyone is confused: this story is in no way related to the "Bride of Discord" universe.