• Published 19th Jul 2014
  • 9,243 Views, 361 Comments

Total Conversion Bureau - Divine Salvation - Dropbear



Post-Conversion Earth is a calm, peaceful place. However, it lacks the certain kind of chaos that only religion can bring. Enter a single, fanatical human from space to dish out his own kind of conversion.

  • ...
61
 361
 9,243

Revelations

Double shifted on his spot under the fruitless apple tree, watching while Dietrich returned from the barn with a group of his listeners in tow.

Thanks to his leg injury, he was no longer able to help with the workload. He turned his head to look at the bandage, only a light green tinge showing through. It only stung a little, but he was sure that moving on it was going to be an issue. The lack of mobility hurt more, and he wasn’t looking forward to the trip back to the cave.

Sighing, he dropped back down and rested his head on his forelegs. It was actually kind of annoying, having to watch while the others had fun. Dietrich was a whirlwind of charm, the ponies listening to his every word while he joked and discussed religion. It was no wonder that Dietrich was getting along with them so well, friendliness and understanding seemed to seep into the air around him.

They had one fruit-bearing tree left in the area, all the others stripped clean of apples. Double continued to examine the ponies and human while they gathered around the last tree, baskets placed down upon the ground around the base. He couldn’t hear what they were saying clearly, but he saw a stallion grin at Dietrich and ask him something.
Double raised an eyebrow when Dietrich approached the tree to cheers of encouragement. The priest ducked his armoured head underneath the branches, and wrapped his arms around the tree trunk.

“I hope he doesn’t damage it.”

Double whirled his head around at the stallion’s voice, preparing to get up and flee if needed. He relaxed slightly when he saw that it was the pony leader, Braeburn, but he still watched the pony warily. Braeburn must have noticed his unease, the stallion taking a step back.

“Easy there, I already told you that I ain’t going to hurt you.”

“Yeah, well forgive me if I don’t trust a pony,” Double shot back, more venom is his words than he had intended. Braeburn looked like he was about to say something, before a cheer drew the pair’s attention back to the commotion.

Dietrich was shaking the tree, apples raining down into the baskets. It brought a smile to Double’s face, watching while his friend shook every last apple from the tree. The watching ponies erupted into laughter when the last apple fell down to smack Dietrich on the helmet, the priest looking up above him while it rolled away on the ground.

A mare stepped out and picked it up, before tapping him on the leg and passing it to him. Dietrich held the apple high before placing it into a basket at his feet, ponies cheering him on with the finishing of the tree. The human swept his hand out for an awkward bow, before heading over towards the tree that Double and Braeburn were under.
“All the work has been finished,” Dietrich announced, gesturing to the last tree.

“I’m sorry to tell you that it isn’t,” Braeburn replied with a smile. “This was just the first orchard, we still have four more to do.”

“Four more? You ponies certainly eat a large amount of apples.”

“We send most of the crop off to the cities,” Braeburn explained. A bell rang out, Double looking towards the barns were all the ponies were gathering. “Well, that there’s pay time.”

“Once again I-“

“Don’t even try, High Confessor, for the last time you earned a fair wage.” The pony looked towards Double, his smile faltering slightly. “You earned yours as well.”

Double gulped while looking at all of the ponies flocking around a set of tables. Even if most of them were friendly towards him because of Dietrich, he still didn’t want to go over there.

“I’ll pass,” he stated, sitting back against the tree. “I’ll just wait here.”

“Are you sure-“

“I said that I’ll wait here,” he repeated, cutting Braeburn off. He noticed that Dietrich was staring at him, although the human’s expression was hidden behind his helmet. Double huffed and turned his head away.

“Okay then, I’ll be back in a minute,” Dietrich told him, before nodding towards Braeburn. The pony gave him a final glance before trotting off towards the barns with Dietrich in tow, Double watching all the while.

The pair made their way towards the barn, occasionally looking back at him. He paid them no mind, his day soured by the experience. A part of him was cursing the loss of valuable money, but the other didn’t care.

“Hello.”

He slowly turned his head at the voice, a mare stepping out from behind a tree. She was a bright pink, a mossy green mane flowing around her head. Double noticed that she had no cutie-mark despite being an adult, his blood freezing when he realised what she was.

The newfoal tilted her head, green eyes staring at him. Her mouth was locked in a smile, and while it would appear warm to most, it was one of the most macabre things that he had ever seen. He could sense nothing from the newfoal, not even a trace of emotion. The… thing standing before him was more alien than Dietrich, and that was an incredibly disturbing thought.

“Get back,” he rushed out, sitting up and backpedalling away. “Stay away!”

“But we can be friends,” the newfoal announced happily, taking a step towards him. “My name’s Sunny, what’s yours?”

Double continued to try and drag himself away, his leg burning with agony. He ignored it in his panic, the newfoal advancing on him without pause. Her smile never stopped, and his froze when his back hit a tree.

‘No, no, no!’ he thought to himself, starting to move to the side to avoid her.

The newfoal froze, her smile dropping. Double gulped, he had no idea of what to do.

“Double, have you made a new friend already?”

He turned his head and spotted Dietrich walking back towards him with Braeburn still trotting alongside. The rustling of leaves prompted him to look back at the newfoal just in time to watch it gallop off in the opposite direction. Breathing heavily, he fought hard to calm himself down while Dietrich stood next to him and looked down.

“Are you okay, Double?”

“I want to leave,” he answered, trying to get to his hooves. A sharp pain shot through his hind leg, and when he looked at it he saw that the bandage was greener than before. With his leg out of action, he started to buzz his wings.

“Don’t strain yourself,” Dietrich warned, Double ignoring it and continuing to try to take flight. He managed to hover for a few seconds before he felt dizzy, and he found himself coming back down heavily. He let out a grunt when his injured leg struck the ground, Dietrich quickly reaching out with his arms. Double found himself lifted up like a nymph, Dietrich carrying him with both armoured arms under his barrel.

“Dietrich,” Double hissed through clenched teeth, his leg still stinging madly. “Let me go, it’s embarrassing.”

“I will not,” the priest refused. “You will only attempt to move again, and injure yourself further.” Dietrich didn’t let go, Double soon relaxing when the stinging in his leg died down to a throb. He frowned and looked down at Braeburn, the stallion wisely looking away and not saying anything. “Thank you Braeburn, I might see you tomorrow but I’ll likely be back that day after.”

“I’ll see you later then, High Confessor,” Braeburn nodded, before looking back towards Double with a shaky smile. “Look, I know that you’re probably still all nervous like…” the stallion reached into his vest pocket and withdrew a brown bag, the jingle of coins betraying its contents. “But here’s your pay for the day.”

Dietrich took the bag from Braeburn and held it out towards Double.

He looked at it hesitantly, before holding out a hoof. Dietrich placed the string of the bag around the hoof and Double tested the weight, surprised at what he found. “This is a full bag, I only worked half a day.”

“Consider the rest as an apology for how some of the others reacted,” Braeburn explained while rubbing the back of his head. “I’d hate to have them drive you away from Appleoosa.”

Double considered telling Braeburn that there was far more sinister things that ponies had done other than trying to chase him out, but instead he held his tongue and merely nodded his thanks. Braeburn seemed fine with the wordless acknowledgement, the pony looking up at Dietrich.

“I’ll be seeing you, let me know if the others give you any more trouble.”

“Thank you, Braeburn, I look forward to my next visit.” A final nod was exchanged before Braeburn trotted back to the barns, most of the ponies till there. Dietrich, and by consequence Double, headed towards the town. “You should be nicer to him,” Dietrich advised once they were out of earshot. “Braeburn is a very kind-hearted being.”

“He might be,” Double replied, before looking up annoyed. “Look, can you please put me down?”

“No.”

“Why not? It’s embarrassing.”

“You’re hurt,” Dietrich informed, the human continuing to walk towards the town. “We’re going to go to the store to purchase some more provisions, and then we’re going to head back and ensure that you get the rest that you need.”

Despite his injury, Double unwisely began to squirm in Dietrich’s grasp.

“Stop that,” Dietrich ordered, moving towards the main street of the town just ahead.

With a huff, Double obeyed, but only because his leg was starting to sting again. Upon entering the town itself he tried to make himself as small as possible, however it was impossible with the way Dietrich was carrying him. Instead he had to resort to turning his head away to stare at Dietrich’s black armour. He could feel the stares of the ponies on him, and regretted ever coming to Appleoosa.

“Oh, High Confessor, I managed to catch you before you left.” Double winced, now what?

“Indeed Miss Hearthfire, I was just about to head to the store.”

“You better hurry, it gets busy after the day’s harvest.” The mare Dietrich was talking to paused, before continuing in a whisper. “How’s the changeling doing?”

“He’s a little embarrassed that I’m carrying him.”


‘What… no! Dietrich!’

“Well he shouldn’t be,” the mare replied. “I heard about what happened from Sandy, as if that nasty cut wasn’t enough to spoil the day.”

“It was just some rash reactions, all has been forgiven.”

“Well, if you think so.” To Double, she didn’t sound as convinced as Dietrich was about the incident being over. “To be fair, changelings are fairly, well, excuse me for saying but… scary.”

“All the ones I have met are some of the nicest beings I know,” Dietrich told her, Double peeking up at the priest. Did he really think that highly of them? “I assure you that they will bring you no harm, Double especially.”

“I’m sure of it, High Confessor. Anyway, I was wondering if you were coming back into town tomorrow. I have a little sister, you see, and she is very keen to meet you. She’s heard a lot about humans from a pen-pal of hers in Canterlot, and I must admit that most of it says the worst kinds of things.”

“I would love to, and you can insure that I’ll endeavour to visit. I may be unable to due to other duties, however.”

“I understand, but if you do it’s just that house over there.”

Dietrich turned to the left, Double still not looking out. He wondered what the priest had meant by ‘extra duties’, as far as he knew it was just a standard day.
“Once again, I look forward to it.”

“Thank you, High Confessor. I’ll let you get to the shop before it becomes packed.”

“That is indeed a concern; have a nice day Miss Hearthfire.”

“The same to you, and to you as well.”

It took Double a second to work out that the mare was saying goodbye to him as well, something most unexpected. Before he could raise his head to attempt a reply, the trotting of hooves alerted him to the departure of the pony. Lifting his head, he spotted an orange mare with a vibrant yellow mane heading towards a row of houses. Dietrich also began to walk, and while looking out Double could see their destination.

Approaching the thankfully uncrowded store, Dietrich looked down at him. “Now Double, I understand that you are cautious around the ponies, but I have to request that you act a little friendlier when they try to. I know that you changelings and the ponies both fear each other, but for your differences to be resolved you need to both be willing to act with understanding.”

“It’s a more complex than that,” Double began to explain. “With the past-“

“The failed invasion I was told about?”

“Well yes, but also the conversions.” He was just about to tell Dietrich exactly what type of conversion that the ponies had carried out, but he was interrupted when they reached the store. Peering inside, he saw that a few ponies were browsing the shelves while the shopkeeper waited behind the counter. Not wanting to have Dietrich enter with him in his arms, Double glanced around before spotting a wooden bench to the side of the door.

“Can you please put me down on the bench?” he requested, Dietrich stopping just short of the door.

“Do you promise to-“

“I won’t try to trot or fly,” Double reassured. In truth, his leg was still throbbing and he doubted that he had the strength to try and fly again. Dietrich thankfully appeared to trust his word, and Double found himself gently lowered towards the bench. Laying down on it, he kept his injured leg hanging off. Looking down at the coin bag still held in his hoof, Double held it out towards Dietrich. “Here, use this as well.”

Dietrich took it with a nod. “Thank you, do you have any specific requests?”

“Some fresh bandages would be nice,” he suggested, briefly glancing at his leg. “Other than that, just some more food for everyone would be great.”

“I already have the items we need in mind.” With that, Dietrich entered the store, the bell jingling as he did so. Double watched him enter before switching his focus to looking out over the main street.

He hadn’t escaped attention, ponies noticing him and staring before continuing to trot on. A few foals in the street kept on whispering to each other with eyes locked on him, Double squirming under the gazes. Maybe staying outside wasn’t the best idea.

Watching the ponies go about the rest of their day, he questioned just what was going to happen. First off, he was going to have to tell the others about his screw-up, and that the ponies now knew that there were changelings near Appleoosa. He’d have to deal with their concerns, and they’d have to decide upon moving to a new location. Where he didn’t know, but today had already shown that not all of the ponies were as friendly as Braeburn or Miss Hearthfire.

On the other hoof, there were a large number of Dietrich’s followers who seemed to be okay with changelings as long as Dietrich said so. He hadn’t had a lot of experience with ponies, but this town did seem to be slightly less concerned about changelings.

That, and so far he hadn’t seen a single royal guard.

Maybe, if Dietrich wasn’t leaving anytime soon, they could use it to maybe find a reliable source of food. Sure, getting love to power magic would likely be out of the question, and they’d have to work for their food, but it was better than nothing.

Of course, one major problem with that plan was the presence of the Newfoals. To be honest, he was completely uncomfortable around them and he could never see himself living amongst them. They were reminders of horrible things, monsters walking amongst the ponies who couldn’t see them for what they really were: husks of their former selves. That also brought up the thought of whether he or the others could ever forgive the ponies for what they had done, even if these ones in the town apparently had nothing to do with the conversions.

His was broken out of his thoughts when the shop door jingled once again, a grey pony stallion walking out with a grin on his face. The pony’s smile faltered when he spotted him, and the stallion increased his pace to head to the opposite side of the road. Double’s hurt at the action was short-lived, the next being to exit through the door nearly causing him to burst into laughter.


Dietrich exited the shop with a grin on his face and only four golden coins remaining. He ducked under the door frame and looked to the bench, finding Double staring at him. The changeling appeared to have cheered up immensely, one hoof held over his mouth while he visibly tried to hold in laughter.

“What?” he inquired. “Is there something amusing?”

“Dietrich, what- what are you wearing?”

That was strange, Dietrich looking over himself at Double’s words. He was wearing his normal armour, the only difference being the ropes tying down the numerous supplies that he had bought.

A first-aid kit was strapped to his left forearm, a large pillow on his right. A bag of cans was suspended from around his shoulder, and a simple folded-up umbrella was attached to his back. A sheet was suspended from around his neck, swinging down in front of his chest.

“Why, my armour of course.”

“But what about all of that stuff attached to you?”

“How else am I going to carry you and our supplies at the same time?” he asked, Double’s smile dying at the mention of carrying him. “Now come on, let’s get you back to the cave.”

The helpless changeling was swept up in his arms, Dietrich having a clear plan in mind. Placing the surprised Double down in the sheet tied around his neck, Dietrich created a makeshift ‘changeling carrier’, looking very much like a sling.

Instead of an injured arm, however, this sling contained a very embarrassed changeling.

“This is worse,” Double whispered out, adjusting his position and ducking his head. Dietrich chuckled at the adorableness, and raised a hand ominously.

“I disagree, it allows me to do this.”

With those words, his hand descended upon Double’s head. The armoured fingers scratched and rubbed, Dietrich wondering if it would have the same effect as it did on the nymphs. He was proved correct, Double holding his tongue and ceasing his squirming at the contact. In a matter of moments he felt the changeling relax, and Dietrich resumed his walking.

A few ponies stopped to stare them while they departed, but Dietrich recognised them all as believers and waved goodbyes. The waves were returned and he merrily strode out into the desert, Double still quiet in the sling.

‘Another fruitful day of preaching,’ he thought to himself, glancing down at the bliss-stricken changeling. ‘Even if it did come with some peril, but such are the trials of life.’

Walking through the sand, he quietly hummed a hymn to himself while mulling over the things he had learned during the day.

The rift between the changelings and ponies seemed to be far worse than he had first assumed, it must have been something terrible to cause so much strife. He understood that the changeling’s failed invasion of the city the ponies called ‘Canterlot’ was a sore point for both, but he couldn’t help but feel that he was missing something. It might had been these ‘conversions’ that the changelings had mentioned, but he hadn’t even seen a simple chapel in the town.

Making a note to ask them about it later when he had the time, Dietrich strode onwards without pause. The sun, while starting to lower at an increased pace, was still blazing down with a full force. With his thoughts upon the comfort of his injured friend, Dietrich used his free hand to activate the umbrella tied to his armour.

With a pop, the bright pink parasol sprung up above his head, Double raising his head at the new shade. The changeling, while still obviously enjoying the head rub, stared at him like he was mad.

“Whatever is the matter?” Dietrich enquired, Double bursting out into laughter.

“That’s… that’s a parasol, a pink one!” the changeling informed between bursts of mirth. “Of all the things that were in that store, why did you buy it?”

Dietrich took the mocking of his priest-portable, shade-providing-device MK II, in full stride.

“Why, to provide some measure of protection from the sun of course. I couldn’t have you sweltering in the heat with your poor condition.”

Double stopped laughing, the changeling tilting his head. “For me? You’re wearing that for me?”

“Of course, my armour eliminates all need for shade.”

Double went silent at the information, and settled back down into the sling without another word. Dietrich let him be, after all he must have been tired after the day’s excitement.

It took then an hour to reach their cave, Dietrich thankful for his suit’s computer and its map. Entering the cool mouth after packing up his parasol, Dietrich looked down when Double shifted in the makeshift sling.

“Dietrich, can you please let me down now?”

About to refuse his request, Dietrich stopped and mulled it over. “Can you walk?”

“I’m certain I can make it to the centre,” Double reassured, stretching his injured leg out and testing it. “It’s hurting a lot less.”

Giving in, Dietrich let him down. He watched while the changeling gained his footing before starting to limp off into the cave. Smiling, he followed, interested in Double’s desire to appear resolute. He assumed it had to do with the changeling appointing himself the makeshift leader of the group, and that Double was possibly of the opinion that displaying weakness would somehow undermine that.

Walking and trotting into the main cavern, the pair were immediately met with a black blur that wrapped itself around Double.

“Whoa there, Cion,” Double informed the other changeling, Dietrich stepping around the two.

“Afternoon all,” he announced happily, heading towards the food stockpile. “We have returned with more provisions, a successful day indeed.”

“Dietrich!” He turned his head and looked down, Seraph uttering a sharp whisper. “What happened, were you attacked?”

“Attacked?” Dietrich replied, confused. Cion looked up from Double’s shoulder, anger and worry mixed in her eyes.

“We weren’t attacked,” Double reassured, both to Cion and the others. “I had an accident with some farming equipment.”

“And the ponies?” Chitter inquired, Double wincing while preparing to answer.

“As friendly as always,” Dietrich informed, beginning to unstrap the supplies from himself. “Sure, there was some unease when Double was injured, but I’m happy to say that the majority were very eager to ask me about him and you all during the afternoon.”

“…They what?”

Dietrich couldn’t tell for sure, but he got the feeling that Seraph wasn’t too happy with the news.

“They were interested in how I could stand to stay among ‘evil creatures’. I informed them all that you were some of the most delightful people I’ve had the pleasure to meet, and that your kindness was praiseworthy indeed. A few even offered me a room instead of a cave, but I reassured them that I am in pleasant company.”

“Oh,” Double muttered, along with the rest of the changelings staring at him with open mouths.

“I know, I was pleasantly surprised at their generosity as well.”

“It’s not that Dietrich,” Haze spoke up, shaking her head. “Now the ponies know that we’re in a cave, what’s to stop them hunting us down?”

“They would never do such a thing,” Dietrich defended, before shrugging his shoulders. “Besides, I only told the Faithful and they guaranteed your safety.”

“What do you mean?” Swift Swap asked, stepping forward. “They obviously know that there are changelings around.”

“Well, after Dietrich told them that I was with him, and that a few of you had helped with the harvest the other day, most of them were okay with us coming back.” Double sat down, Cion sitting down beside him before fussing over his bandaged leg. “They… they don’t want us to come disguised though, they’d prefer it if we’d help them while looking like changelings.”

“Can we trust them?” Seraph questioned, also sitting down. “How do we know it’s not a trap?”

“They promised to me that they would not harm you,” Dietrich nodded. “That is good enough for me.” He glanced down at his implements attached to his waist, the changelings following his gaze towards the deadly tools. “Besides, no matter my love for them, if any threaten you then I will deal with it.” Dietrich perked up afterwards, clapping his hands in the silence. “Anyway, I doubt that such measures will be required. Now, allow me to help prepare the evening meal.”

Although sluggish, the changelings soon sprang into action. Dietrich didn’t pay their unease any mind, he had one task to complete before worrying about other things. Untying the rope that held the pillow to his armour, he grasped it in hand before walking over to the side of the cave. Double was lying down against the wall, Cion exchanging low mutters with him while she stroked his back.

“Here,” he offered, leaning down with the pillow. Double raised an eye at the offer, Cion going quiet.

“You really didn’t have to get that,” Double sighed, before a light smile broke out on his face. “But I’m not going to complain.” Cion took the pillow in her hooves and set it down upon the ground, Double resting his injured leg on it. The injured changeling relaxed, laying his head down on his forelegs. “Thanks.”

“Do not mention it,” Dietrich replied with a wave of his hand. “Consider it an apology for embarrassing you earlier.”

“Look, Dietrich-“

“There is no need to dwell on it,” he cut Double off, before standing up. “I hope that the entire day wasn’t soured, I enjoyed your company out in the fields.”

Double grinned, a nod going Dietrich’s way. “You know what? It wasn’t as bad as it could have been. And we even managed to make some leeway with the ponies.”

“I don’t trust them,” Cion muttered, her eyes narrowed. Double raised his head to give her a peck on the cheek, Cion going ridged.

“We have a chance, a small one, to get a regular food supply,” Double informed her, Cion possessing a slight green blush. “I don’t think I can ever forgive them for what they did, but we have to try and make it work.”

“Speaking of food,” Dietrich cut in, figuring that the two needed some time alone. “I should be getting started on preparing the dinner. Rest well.”

He turned and let them be, Cion returning to fussing over Double. Dietrich headed towards the roaring fire in the middle, three changelings and the two nymphs preparing the large pot while the others fetched more wood and food.

Bending down next to Seraph, he noticed that she seemed distant. “Is something troubling you?”

“No Dietrich,” she replied, before letting go of the pot and sighing. “Well, yes. I know that you trust the ponies, but I just don’t see them letting us go. Not after what they did.”

“Seraph, do you have faith in me?”

“I do.”

“And do you have faith in the Lord?” he put his armoured hand on her shoulder, Seraph nodding without hesitation.

“I do.”

“Then there is no need to fear,” he told her with a warm smile under his helmet. “He will provide for us and watch over us, even if things seem bleak. I have faith that you and the ponies will be able to make up over your past differences.”

“I guess,” she murmured, not seeming one-hundred percent convinced. She looked to Madeline and Sheen, who had been listening in to the conversation with interest. “So, who wants to help make the dinner?”

“We will!” both eagerly answered, eyeing the empty pot with excitement.

“I shall assist as well,” Dietrich offered, Seraph looking at him with surprise.

“You can cook?”

“Of course,” he informed her, a hand going to his chest. “I have learnt many things over the years, and the art of mixing up a tasty meal from limited supplies is one that helped me a lot in my infantry days.”

“Is someone cooking?”

All looked towards the newcomer, Chitter arriving with a can of cauliflower soup and a carrot. He placed the supplies down on a clean, flat rock, and sat down next to Seraph.
“We all are,” Madeline told him, reaching out a hoof towards the heated pot before drawing it back in. “Dietrich is helping as well.”

“I have to earn my keep,” he joked, rewarded with a light chuckle from Chatter.

“Well, I hope you’ll let me borrow Seraph, I wanted to talk to her about something for a few minutes in private.”

“I’ll only be a short while,” Seraph added, Dietrich waving a hand in dismissal.

“Take as much time as you want, I’ll get things started.” He punctuated his point by grabbing that large soup can and using the ring pull to open it up. Briefly wondering why a species with no fingers would use such a method, Dietrich emptied it into the pot while both Seraph and Chitter smiled thankfully at him.

“I’ll be back soon,” Seraph reassured, getting up to walk towards the cave mouth with Chitter. Dietrich gave them both a wave before he turned to Madeline and Sheen, the nymphs watching on from the other side of the fire.

“Right then, Madeline would you kindly fetch some water, Sheen could you please see if we have any bread left?”

“Yes, Dietrich,” both young changelings acknowledged, leaping up to carry out the tasks. He placed another log on the fire in their absence, the coals growing nice and hot.

“Water!”

Looking up, he saw that Madeline had returned with a smaller pot of water, the changeling carrying its handle in her mouth. He took it from her with a nod, and emptied it into the main pot. He turned back to find that she had already fetched him a large soup spoon, and he gestured to the pot.

“Go ahead, start to stir it.” He watched carefully while she went to work, ensuring that she didn’t too close to the fire. Hoofsteps sounded and Sheen came up alongside him, balancing a plate with half a loaf of bread loaded upon it. Taking it from him, he placed the plate down and Sheen sat beside him to watch Madeline stir.

“Dietrich,” Sheen began. “What’s an ‘infantry’?”

“Ah, the infantry,” Dietrich reminisced, beginning to peel the carrot using his small knife. “Well Sheen, ‘Infantry’ is the term used to describe soldiers that fight on the ground.”

“You were a soldier?” Dietrich turned his head around, Haze and Swift listening from their spot on the floor.

“Indeed, all able-bodied UIP citizens serve a minimum four years in the military,” he resumed his carrot peeling after his answer to Haze. “It builds character, discipline, opens up career paths, and prepares everyone for future life.” He paused, a brief chuckle escaping his throat. “Well, that’s if you actually make it through. But yes Haze, I served my required service and then began my religious training.”

“Was it scary?” Madeline asked, Sheen nodding his head as well.

“Well of course it was at first,” he answered, the carrot almost fully peeled. “But like all things you soon get used to it. I was lucky in that I didn’t get sent to any of the really nasty wars; I spent most of my time in just one.” Holding the skinless carrot over the pot, he began to slice it.

Madeline paused her stirring and Sheen leaned forward to watch, pieces of orange falling into the bubbling white soup. More hoofsteps approached, Seraph and Chitter sitting back down by the fire. Nodding a greeting, Dietrich noticed that Seraph was looking at him strangely. “Is something the matter?”

“No,” she answered, focusing back on the pot. “It’s just strange to hear that you were a soldier. You seem far too nice.”

“Well, I’ve been off the battlefields for a few years now,” he explained, finishing his task. The soup was now interspersed with carrot, Madeline resuming her stirring when he nodded to her. “Besides, soldiers are people too, not all of them are unfeeling killers.”

The conversation died off, Dietrich returning to watching the pot. Before long the soup started to bubble, and he placed a hand on the soup spoon that Madeline was using. “Good work you two, now would you like to prepare the bowls for everyone?”

Both nodded and rushed off to follow the command, Dietrich giving the soup pot a final stir.


“Sheriff, look up!”

Silverstar raised his eyes from his weary hooves at Haybale’s shout. A bright light was heading towards the group of twenty-one through the night sky, and he squinted to get a better look.

“Is that…?” he questioned out-loud, before a high-pitched whistle confirmed his observation.

“A train!” a mare exclaimed, the group letting out a whoop before moving to the side of the train tracks they had been following to Canterlot. Silver watched while Haybale and the rest tried to flag it down, waving their hooves and shouting at it.

The squealing of brakes announced their success, the cab going past them before it slowed to a halt. Silverstar glanced over the carriages, looking to be for freight instead of passengers, before the train’s conductor hollered at them from the cab.

“What’s wrong!?”

Silver trotted up towards the engine, recognising the brown pony within. “Soot Stain, it’s me, Silverstar!”

“Sheriff?” Soot questioned, brushing his black mane out of his eyes as Silverstar closed. “What’s all this commotion about, I’ve got a load of equipment for the border stations and-“

“There’s no time!” Haybale interrupted, the large stallion moving to stand next to Silver. “Appleoosa has been invaded by changelings and humans!”

“Changelings?” Soot Stain questioned with a tilt of his head. “Weren’t they all converted into Newfoals?”

“Apparently not,” Silverstar drawled, not bothering to correct Haybale on the use of ‘invasion’. There were only a few changelings and a single human after all, hardly a full-on attack force. Still, the words had the needed effect, Soot’s eyes widening.

“If they’re invading, then what are you doing out here?”

“We need to get to Canterlot, to fetch some guards.”

“The town’s been mind-controlled!”

Silver winced at Haybale’s outburst, both because of the panic it would cause and because a part of him suspected that it could have been true. Braeburn and the others had been acting strange around the human, maybe Haybale’s accusations of mind-control was correct? After all, he’d heard that the changelings had mind-controlled ponies at the royal wedding.

Soot seemed conflicted, the stallion glancing from Haybale to the tracks up ahead. Soon, he sighed and looked back down to him.

“Okay, okay. Sheriff, there’s a junction just a few minutes ahead. If you all hope aboard, I’ll turn this train around and we’ll be in Canterlot by tomorrow.”

“Much appreciated,” Silver acknowledged, jumping up into the engine’s cabin with Soot. The others all clambered into various freight carriages, and a few minutes later the whistle blew and the train began to move forwards again.


Dietrich knocked on the wooden door three times, turning around to wave at the passing ponies in the street.

The mid-morning sun was shining bright, the trip back into Appleoosa proving to be very relaxing. He waited patiently, hoofsteps sounding from behind the door. It opened and swung inwards, an orange mare with a flowing two-tone yellow mane looking out at him with ruby eyes.

“Oh, High Confessor,” she greeted warmly, opening the door wider.

“Good Morning, Miss Hearthfire,” he replied.

“Come inside, it’s great to see that you could make it.” He followed her instruction with a smile under his helmet, ducking his head beneath the doorframe and entering her house. Looking around, it was a cosy place with photographs lining the wooden walls. His host led him down a hall, a large room at the end seeming to be their destination.

“This way.”

They emerged into a large living room, the space dominated by two large couches decorated with an apple pattern.

“A lovely home,” he complemented, Miss Hearthfire smiling before pointing down at a couch.

“Thank you, High Confessor, please take a seat and I’ll go and get Candy from her room.”

Sitting down with care so he didn’t break the couch, Dietrich figured that ‘Candy’ was Hearthfire’s little sister that she wanted him to meet. He had just enough time to examine the surrounds before two sets of approaching hooves sounded from the door that Hearthfire had left through.

“But sis, I don’t want to go meet a human,” a child whispered, the hooves stopping short of the door.

“Candy Apple, I asked the High Confessor over to talk to you, now quit complaining and get out there.”

At Hearthfire’s hushed reply, a young pony was pushed out into the room. Dietrich smiled at the bright-red coated foal, but once again his helmet was on so the gesture was limited in effect. Scared green eyes were fixed on him, Dietrich decided to break the ice.

“So, Candy Apple I assume? Your sister wished for me to come over and have a talk with you, she said that you were very eager to meet a human.”

Hearthfire stepped out after her sister with an apologetic look, rubbing the back of her foreleg with a hoof. “Well, ah, High Confessor, I wasn’t exactly honest in that regard and-“
She stopped talking when he held up a hand, and Dietrich moved the other up towards his helmet. With a hiss, it came away from his main armour, and he sat it down on his lap. The filly seemed to relax a little at the action, a hint of curiosity amongst the fear.

“I’ll go get us some refreshments,” Hearthfire offered after the pause, leaving the room once again. Dietrich and Candy were left alone, both waiting for the other to make the first move. Soon, the filly sat down on the carpet and ran her eyes over his armour.

“So you’re a human,” she whispered, Dietrich nodding while leaning back into the couch.

“Indeed,” he replied, patting his helmet absentmindedly. “So, are there any questions that you’d like to ask?”

“Is it true that you… eat ponies?”

He chuckled at the question, where had the child gotten that idea from? “No, I can assure you that ponies like you aren’t ever on the menu. There’s no need to worry, little one, I have no intention of harming you.”

“I’m not little, I’m eight!” the filly huffed, Dietrich smiling at the response. Progress was being made.

“My, such a wonderful age, I remember when I was eight years old as well. Although, I do wish that I was able to grow up in such a nice town like this.”

“It’s not nice, it’s boring,” Candy Apple told him, crossing her forelegs in front of her chest. After the complaint, her eyes brightened. “I do want to go live in Canterlot though, my friend tells me all about it.”

Dietrich remembered Hearthfire mentioning something about a ‘pen-pal’, and guessed that Candy was referring to whoever that was. He was just about to inquire as to what was so interesting about Canterlot, but was interrupted when Hearthfire emerged into the room with a tray laden with cakes and tea.

“You’re not going to Canterlot until the end of the year,” Hearthfire informed, before she used her mouth to place the tray down on the coffee table.

“But there’s nothing to do here!”

“You can play with the other fillies for another month, surely.”

“Are you moving?” he inquired when the two sisters paused, Hearthfire wincing before pouring a cup of tea.

“Unfortunately,” she replied. “Appleoosa is a great town, but we get sent more and more Newfoals every month. I just can’t stand it, they creep me out and from what I heard Canterlot has hardly any of them.”

Candy Apple, her hooves reaching for a slice of tan cake, paused and peered at Dietrich. “What do you think about the Newfoals?”

“Oh, I’ve heard everyone talking about them,” he answered, accepting a cup of tea from Hearthfire. He wasn’t sure, but he could have sworn that she briefly had a sickened expression on her face. “I don’t see why there would be so much trouble over a few baby ponies, I would expect that such blessings would be seen as a good thing.” He took a sip of tea, not noticing the silence in the room save for Candy Apple’s munching. “This is wonderful tea.”

“High Confessor,” Hearthfire began shakily, her own tea untouched. “You… do know that Newfoals aren’t baby ponies, right?”

Her tone gave him pause, Dietrich frowning in confusion. “Not baby ponies? Then what else could ‘new foals’ be?”

“Well, Newfoals are… humans and other creatures that have been turned into ponies to ‘cure’ them.” Hearthfire’s subdued explanation was broken with a scowl at the word ‘cure’, the mare focusing back on him with concerned eyes.

“…Pardon?”

“Princess Celestia and Princess Luna told us that Humans, Diamond Dogs, Griffons, and Dragons were mean and dangerous, and that by making them Newfoals we’d be helping them,” Candy explained through a slice of cake, both Hearthfire and Dietrich frozen for different reasons.

Dietrich slowly looked back towards Hearthfire, the mare avoiding his gaze.

“She’s right,” Hearthfire admitted. “All of the Newfoals around town used to be other races that were converted, willingly or not.”

Holding onto a small teacup while sitting on the couch, Dietrich finally pieced together just what had happened. His face was a mask, with only a faint hint of confusion showing through.

“So that’s why you’ve all been treating my presence as some kind of oddity,” he muttered, more to himself than to her.

“I’m sorry, High Confessor,” Hearthfire apologised, tapping her forehooves together nervously. “I thought… I thought that you already knew.”

Dietrich didn’t reply, going over the thoughts in his head. Slowly, he realised just why his changeling friends were so afraid of ‘conversion’ and the ponies. Is that what the ponies had planned, to lure them in to convert them all to ‘Newfoals’? Looking at Hearthfire, the mare looking devastated and ashamed, he came to a conclusion.

Standing up and placing his half-finished teacup down on the table, he placed his helmet back on his head checked that all of his items still remained.

“High Confessor,” he stopped, looking down at the mare that he had been sharing tea with. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault,” he smiled, his voice deceivingly cheerful. He placed his hand on her yellow mane and gave her a short pat. “I know that you and the rest of your fellows are good at heart. Now I hate to leave on such short notice, but I just realised that I have some apologising to do.”

He removed his hand from the stunned mare’s head, before making his way towards the front door.

“Thank you for the tea and company,” he acknowledged, before leaving the house and shutting the door behind him.

“Sis,” Candy Apple asked from her seat, looking at her motionless sister with her head tilted. “Is something wrong with Mr High Confessor?”


Celestia raised her eye when a group of twenty-one ponies flooded into her throne room, all dressed in the manner of frontier settlers. She smiled when she noticed the grey stallion standing next to a large yellow stallion, knowing Sheriff Silverstar from her discussions with him about settling Newfoals at Appleoosa.

Her smile faltered at the worry in the eyes of her subjects, and the guards who shared equally concerned faces. The various nobles arrayed around for the Midday court whispered amongst themselves, the unexpected arrival of the newcomers creating quite the stir.

“My Princess,” one of the guardstallions greeted, saluting with his spear held tight. “These ponies bring dire news-“

“There are changelings and humans invading Appleoosa! “ the yellow earth pony at the front of the group interrupted. He seemed to realise who he was talking to a second later, and he quickly bowed. “I’m sorry for the rudeness, Your Majesty, but our very town is in danger!”

“Now, hold on there, Hayseed,” Silverstar suggested, the Sheriff trotting up before her before bowing. “Princess, there are changelings and one human, but I have to say that they don’t appear to be intending us any harm at the mo-“

“No harm?” Hayseed interrupted, standing back up. “Sheriff, you know what those critters are like. Your were that one that told us to get the guards! You’re standing here right with us!”

Celestia’s face remained neutral, but inside a seed of concern had sprouted. Here she was on her throne, listening to two of her ponies arguing with each other while their fellows watched with nods of approval. The news of the changelings and human was worrying, and of course their presence had sown distrust and fear. Inside her mind she sighed, preparing to step in and stop the fight.

“I suggested that we fetched the guards so you didn’t go and take the matters into your own hooves,” Silverstar explained calmly. “That High Confessor fellow is a big ‘un, and I ain’t thinking that the armour is just for decoration.”

Armour, High Confessor? This was certainly odd.

“And I came here to help explain the situation to her Highness,” the Sheriff continued to explain with a nod towards her.

“A very good choice,” she smiled, the cogs turning in her mind. “Let’s hear both sides of the story. Why don’t you go first, Haybale I believe it was?”

“Yes, Your Highness. As I was saying, Ma’am, there are changelings and a human walking in and out of the town willy-nilly. The changelings were caught in the apple orchards, but the townsponies are mind-controlled!”

Celestia rolled her mental eyes, only the former changeling queen had the power of mind-control so that was unlikely. Still, it was an interesting situation. “Why do you suspect that your fellows are under the influence of changeling magic?”

“Everypony is treating them all nice-like!” Haybale explained, looking back to his fellows for support. The stallions and mares all nodded, Sheriff Silverstar shaking his head on the sidelines. “The human is the main problem; he walks around like he owns the place, preaching his religious wobbly-gook.”

“He is religious?” she pressed, a flash of fear flowing through her. She’d seen the strife that human religions caused, the violent ideals nothing like the path of Harmony that all of her ponies followed.

“Of course!” Haybale nodded vigorously. “Most of the town is even listening to him, and he’s been converting them to his crack-pot ways! If it isn’t stopped, it’ll threaten all of Equestria!”

“Princess, I don’t think the High Confessor is meaning to cause trouble, he’s even been helping in the fields.” This got her full attention; she knew that Silverstar was a very honest pony. “I mean… maybe he’s just different.”

“You can bet your wagon that he is!” Haybale interrupted. “Him and those changelings need to be caught and converted right away!”

“Stallions, please,” she requested, raising a hoof for silence. Looking at all of the concerned ponies, a solution was forming in her mind. This human sparked her curiosity, nothing adding up about his presence. “Now, without any more arguing, can you describe this human to me?”

“He calls himself ‘High Confessor Dietrich von Shoemaker’, or something like it,” Silver provided. “He’s taller than you, and wears this big suit of black metal armour.”
‘Metal?’ she wondered, nodding for Silver to go ahead. She knew that the previous humans had seen themselves as more advanced than having to resort to metal armour, preferring a hard-type of plastic. So far, the answer had yielded more questions than answers.

“It’s got these creepy window things built into it,” Haybale continued, his eyes darting around to the sides. “Some even have bones and things in them, and he always talks about death.”

Celestia visibly frowned at that, Silverstar obviously noticing. “Now Princess, he sure is strange as I said before he really likes ponies. I saw him during the harvest, he was helping to pick the apples and singing with everypony.” The Sheriff fidgeted on his hooves. “He doesn’t even seem to know about the conversions.”

“He’ll get to know about them soon enough,” Haybale snorted, before turning his attention back to her. “Princess, I ain’t sympathising with him and I don’t think anypony should. He’s brought nothing but trouble to our town, and his brainwashed victims are growing larger every day.”

“Thank you, that will be all,” she acknowledged, once again the accusations were flaring up. “I trust that you are all weary?” The ponies all glanced at each other, before nodding their heads. She smiled at them warmly, gesturing to a guard at her side. “I thank you for bringing this matter to my attention, allow me to organise some hotel rooms for you all to stay in until it’s settled.”

“Thank you,” all the ponies replied while bowing, with varations of ‘Princess’ and ‘Your Majesty’ sprinkled all around. Nodding to her guards, she watched while they were escorted out of the room. Once they were gone, she looked towards her whispering nobles and smiled again. “That you all, but as you can tell I need to close court early today. I ask that you all refrain from spreading this news, lest it starts a panic.”

With almost identical agreements, the Nobles bid her a good day and left through the main doors, leaving her alone with her guards. As soon they did, a Sergeant approached her throne.

“Princess, what should we do?”

Celestia sat back, her face neutral. “Normally I would consult with Luna about a matter of this importance and urgency, but unfortunately she is absent.” She tapped her forehoof on the throne in thought. “Do we happen to have any conversion potion left?”

“We do, but it’s all allocated in case of… difficulties with the Buffalo.” The guard lowered his voice. “And there is also the supply set aside in case of the bat-“

“That supply shall not be mentioned or even inspected,” she quickly hushed. All of her Solar Guards were loyal to her, but she couldn’t risk Luna finding out about the additional batch of conversion potion set aside in case of complications with the Nocturnes. “Ensure that at least… twenty vials from the Buffalo supply are readied in case.”

“You wish for us to convert this human, and the changelings?”

“The changelings, yes,” she ordered. “The scene in this room today bears all the hallmarks of their race. Even if it is unintentional, they still cause fear and paranoia to spread and that is something we cannot allow.” She hummed in thought.

“And the human?”

“Bring him to me,” she informed him, with a nod to herself. “I wish to find out more about his strange appearance and motives. Many things do not add up, and after the barrier no humans should have remained. He will be the best source of answers, so please instruct those who you send to refrain from converting him just yet.”

“As you command,” the guard saluted, rushing off to carry out the order. Celestia had a final moment of thought, before she levitated a roll of parchment towards her. An inked quill followed soon after, and she began to write.

Dear Sister,
I hate to bear bad news and interrupt your visit with the Nocturnes, but I require your presence back in Canterlot in regards to a very strange matter...


Seraph sighed and ran her hoof over Chitter’s foreleg, watching while the two nymphs had a short play fight.

They were all sitting in a circle relaxing and watching the two at play, all ten changelings having the day off. Glancing around, she noticed with a smile that all of them were in pairs and seeming to be in good spirits. For the second time they’d been able to have a breakfast, and the extra food was doing wonders for everyone’s mood.

The crunching of boots on rock drew her attention, Seraph lifting her head in surprise when she saw Dietrich rushing into the main cavern. He was supposed to be in Appleoosa, why was he back so soon? Her surprise was doubled when he made a beeline for the closest ones to him, Haze and Swift Swap.

The human crouched down and embraced both in a hug, Haze and Swift frozen on the spot.

“I’m sorry, will you forgive me?”

To say Seraph was confused would be an understatement, the apology seeming to be directed towards all of them.

“Sorry for what?” Swift managed out, Dietrich increasing the hug.

“For my foolishness. Now that I know the reasoning behind your fear, it was incredibly insensitive for me to do what I did. I realise now what I could have caused for you all and that is why I must ask for forgiveness.”

It clicked, Seraph figuring out what Dietrich was rambling about.

“So, you found out what we meant by conversion,” she guessed, Dietrich nodding while letting Haze and Swift go.

“I did,” he confirmed. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Well, you seemed so… happy,” Double explained, his leg having been rewrapped with bandages.

“Yeah…” Seraph hung her head, fidgeting with her forehooves. She felt his eyes on her, how was she going to explain this next part. “Also, you know how we feed on positive energy like love from other creatures?”

“I do.”

“Well,” she hesitated. “When we first met you, we were actually hoping that… we’d be able to feed off you.” She looked back up at him with concern, Chitter sitting beside her and rubbing her back. Dietrich wasn’t moving, his helmet’s eyes locked on her. “Of course, we soon realised that you were better than just food, but we still didn’t want to really let you know. I guess we both made mistakes in a way.”

“I wanted to let you know, although not really out of kindness,” Chitter announced, his face locked in a frown. “Although I never really got to it in the end. So, what do you think about the ponies now that you know what they did to your race?”

“Oh, they have done nothing to my race,” Dietrich informed solemnly. “We may be the same species, but the poor souls who have been imprisoned against their will in foreign bodies are no comrades of mine. I must say that I cannot deny that my own people have and will do terrible things, however I do have to admit that I find it hard to believe that my friends in Appleoosa had any part in such terrible business. I believe them when they say they had no part, though.” He moved closer, Seraph and Chitter both smiling when he put a hand each on their shoulders. “It’s what they’ve done to your people which concerns me the most.”

Seraph didn’t know why, but at that moment it all came crashing down upon her. The memories of when she had found out what had happened, seeing the Equestrians destroy the hive post-conversion while the brand new Newfoals watched on, all of it flowed back to her.

Tears started to drip from her eyes, Dietrich noticing and immediately leaning forward. She felt cool metal wrap around her, the gesture incredibly gentle. Ribbing her head against the armoured chest, she could hear the faint hum from his suit and the subtle hissing whenever he moved.

“There, there,” he comforted, patting her back. She was vaguely away of a whisper, and Dietrich suddenly let her go. The black metal was replaced by black chitin, and she felt Chitter rest his head against her own. She also felt a drop of moisture fall on her shoulder, and a small sniffle sounded in her ear.

“Dietrich,” Sheen asked, Seraph unable to see him from her position. “Why is everyone crying?”

“It needed to happen,” she heard Dietrich tell the young changeling. “You’ll understand more once you get older, but for now it’s the best thing to do.”

A minute passed and she felt her sadness ebb, helped both by the hug and the words of the kindly priest. Breaking the embrace before pausing to wipe the reminder of a tear from Chitter’s cheek, she turned to Dietrich and saw that all of the others were also depressed with wet cheeks. Even the nymphs were lying down next to Sheen and Madeline, their eyes filled with concern.

“What do we do now?” Double asked, the most resolute out of them all. “Can we really face the ponies? I know that the ones in the town, or at least some of them, don’t mind us and insist they had nothing to do with the conversions. But what happens when other ponies hear about us, and if the Princesses send guards?” He turned to look at Dietrich, the priest sitting down next to the nymphs. “Dietrich, I don’t know why, but the ponies hate humans even more than us. If they catch you, you’ll be converted for sure.”

Dietrich remained silent, his head bowed in thought. They all waited for an answer, out of all of them the priest had the most influence with the town of Appleoosa. Cion glanced around when no answer came.

“We can’t stay,” she told them. “The ponies who wanted to chase Chitter out will likely have tried to get guards, we have to run into the desert to hide. Maybe we can try and skirt around and find another settlement, we’ve got enough food and water for a week and a half if we conserve it.”

She looked like she was going to say more, but a low muttering from Dietrich stopped her. They all looked at the priest and waited, Seraph leaning in to try and hear what he was saying. She caught a few words, and with a start realised that the human was praying.

“Dietrich,” Swift Swap asked, tilting his head. Dietrich continued for another ten seconds before he stopped.

“These Princesses, did they order the conversions?”

“As far as we know, the ponies listen to them above all else,” she explained with a head tilt.

He nodded and stood up. They all watched, confused, as he moved to their stockpile of food and water jugs and began to gather it all into a bunch. He then turned to look at them, his hands clasping together.

“My friends,” he began, gesturing towards them. “I thank you for your hospitality, and for the faith that you have placed in me. These days sharing food and conversation with you have truly been some of the most enjoyable in my life.”

Seraph was speechless while he approached her, Dietrich crouching down so that he wasn’t towering over her.

“Seraph, you are a very promising young lady,” he told her, an armoured hand caressing her face. “I have the utmost faith in you to keep the others safe. I know I haven’t had much time to fully teach you about the faith, but know that I’ll always consider you one of my most successful converts and greatest friends.”

He stood up, Seraph shocked at his words.

Was he leaving?

Sheen and Madeline rushed towards Dietrich, sitting down and wrapping their forelegs around his legs.

“Don’t go,” Madeline pleaded. “Please, you’re not leaving, are you?”

Dietrich let out a light chuckle, tinged with sadness, while he patted both on the heads. “I’m afraid that I have to. I assure you that you’ll be in my prayers, if I don’t come back.”

“Dietrich,” it was Double this time that spoke. With obvious difficulty, he sat up with help from Cion. “You sound like you’re about to do something foolish. Please, don’t risk yourself for us-“

“It is not that,” Dietrich informed, the two changelings grasping his legs letting go when he nodded down at them. The priest walked towards Double, one hand going towards a spot on his waist armour. Seraph caught a brief sliding movement before something was deposited into his hand, Dietrich holding it out towards Double.

Gingerly, Double held the short cylinder in his hooves, barely half the size of his horn. A small blue light was in the top, pulsing with a steady glow.

“It’s a short range communication device,” Dietrich told them while Double and Cion examined the object. “It’s fairly useless now, but if you ever hear any voices coming from it I want you to press the red button on the bottom.” He leant down and showed them all a cap that could be removed, a small red button underneath it. “Tell whoever arrives that High Confessor Dietrich Von Schreiber of the Mortisum Cult is a friend of yours, and gave you this so that you may seek asylum.”

“But why?” Haze asked, her mouth wavering. “Why do you have to leave?”

“Take all of the supplies and try to hide, like you have been doing. Ensure that the little ones grow up, and that you all remain safe.” He was seeming to ignore the question, continuing on while glancing at all of them. “I don’t know when, but my fellows will likely be trying to find me as we speak. Eventually the Lord will lead them to this world, and in doing so they will be able to help you.”

The Priest patted himself down, before making for the exit to the cave.

“You still haven’t answered,” Haze sniffled, Dietrich pausing.

“I leave to give the architects of this tragedy what they deserve,” his hand went towards his mace, Seraph’s breath hitching in her throat. Slowly, the hand went to the other side and rested upon the large holy tome. “I will obtain their confession, and absolve them of their sins. I will ask them to pardon you and to leave you alone, so that you may prosper as you were meant to.”

“It’s suicide!” Chitter objected, rushing to his hooves and galloping over to block Dietrich’s exit.

“It is my holy duty,” Dietrich explained.

“They’ll convert you without a thought!”

“Then at least I’ll know that I tried, and the Lord will be pleased with me for trying to save their souls.” Dietrich looked down at Chitter. “Please stand aside and follow my advice, my actions will no doubt have repercussions for you if you remain in this cave.”

“No,” Chitter objected with a shake of his head. “I’ll admit that I didn’t used to like you, but you’ve become like one of us. We need all of the friends that we can get.”

“Chitter, my friend, please allow me passage. I have my duties to fulfil.”

Chitter remained in the spot with a hard gaze, before a look of defeat crossed his features. He stepped to the side, Dietrich resuming his walking forward.

“I bid you all goodbye,” Dietrich farewelled. “I will never forget you.”

“No, you won’t.” Everyone, including Dietrich, looked towards Double with surprise. The leader of their makeshift group struggled to his hooves, a noticeable lack of pressure being put on his injured hind leg. “You won’t, because I’m going to go with you.”

“I will as well,” Cion stated, supporting Double and sharing his statement without hesitation. Dietrich shook his head at them.

“I cannot allow that, you have to look after the others-“

“We’ll go as well,” Seraph interrupted, a nod from Chitter confirming that he shared her idea.

“Us too,” Sheen and Madeline both announced, the nymphs standing up with them with chirps. Haze and Swift also stepped forward, meaning the entire group wished to accompany the priest on his reckless plan.

“I’m incredibly moved by such a show of support,” he told them all, a slight waver in his voice. “But the journey will be dangerous, and the result possibly deadly. I am ready to meet my god, but I cannot ask the same of you, especially the little ones.”

Double took a step forward, a limp in his step and a hardened gaze in his eyes.

“We’d rather go out together, all as friends,” Double told Dietrich, earning nods from the rest. “Dietrich, you’re our friend, we cannot ask you to do this and leave us behind. How could we hide, when we know what you’re going to do?” Double sighed, shaking his head slightly. “I won’t pretend to know exactly what you’re planning to do, or that I understand it, but I do know that we can’t run forever.” All of them walked towards Dietrich, crowding around him with a shared opinion. “It’s not much of a life, living in fear every day and every night. At least we can say that we went out with a show of friendship, and hopefully the ponies will see what we are.”

He smiled at the last part, Seraph finding herself agreeing wholeheartedly. Double was right, they couldn’t hide forever. Even with Dietrich, their time was numbered.

“I’m sorry,” the priest apologised with his voice sorrowful and heavy. “But once again, I cannot risk your lives pursuing something that is, admittedly, unlikely to succeed.”

Seraph looked him, waiting until he was looking into her eyes. “I have faith that it’s the right thing to do, and faith in you,” she told him confidently. “Without meeting you, I would never have been able to have any faith in anything again. Please Dietrich, Double is right. It may end up with us all dead or converted, but at least we’ll be ended together, making an effort to do something.”

“…Seraph,” he replied after a pause. “Do you truly have faith in me and this course of action?”

“I do.”

He nodded, no more questions needed to be asked about her certainty. Seraph waited while he looked to the others. “And what about you all?”

“I may not have full faith in your teachings,” Cion admitted, a fire growing in her eyes. “But I agree with Seraph, we all have faith in you.” Everyone else nodded, even the nymphs copying the gesture. Dietrich looked down towards the youngest members, before he let out an audible sigh.

“Very well,” he relented. “As much as I fear that I’ll lead you into the ultimate peril, I cannot ignore your offers.” He seemed to stare sadly at the nymphs fixing him with bright smiles. “Even if it endangers ones so young and promising.”

“What future do they have now?” Haze countered. “A life of fear and uncertainty.”

“You’re right,” Dietrich admitted, before walking back over to the food stockpile. “Fine then, let us pack our things, we have a long journey ahead of all of us.”
Seraph joined him without a word, the others quickly moving to lend their own aid.

They had a harsh journey ahead indeed, but it was one which they all had to make.


Under the cover of night, a mass of shadows stalked towards a large cave opening. The cool desert wind blew through the dunes, the eerie whistling drowning out the clink of their golden armour.

“One, Two, Three!”

On the count, the thirty solar guards rushed into the cave entrance with nets and stun spells ready. They charged into the tunnel in a neat file, eyes glancing over every crack and cranny. Armoured hooves thundered on the rocky ground, the determined stallions and mares rushing into the main cavern.

… To find nothing but a long-dead fire and a single piece of parchment.

“Were are they? This is the only cave out here.”

“Keep alert, they could be hiding.”

“Lieutenant, you might want to take a look at this.”

A unicorn with a large blue plume in his helmet headed over towards the Private who had requested his attention, his guards stepping aside to let him through. Trotting up to the pegasus mare, he stared at the yellowed parchment that she held in a wing.

Lines of black text in an unknown language covered the page, but that wasn’t the part he was interested in.

No, the Lieutenant’s eyes were locked on the crudely drawn picture of a large, black biped and what looked like very-badly done changelings waving goodbye to a mass of ponies standing near an apple tree.

The next picture, the one that froze his heart when he saw it, contained an image of the same biped and changelings walking together through the desert…

And heading to a city with two large crowns drawn over it, with the biped holding a book out towards what the Lieutenant assumed was supposed to be Canterlot.

“Oh,” he breathed out, the Private looking towards him with worry. “This just got bad, really bad.”