• Published 19th Jul 2014
  • 1,717 Views, 92 Comments

The Black Apple - Duke of Canterlot



Apple Bloom has met her father and the two seek to change Equestria forever.

  • ...
20
 92
 1,717

Our Town

Apple Bloom and Gilda landed in Our Town. Apple Bloom was disgusted. This was a village where all the homes were identical lined up in two rows parallel to one another, symbolizing the = sign. The only house which stood out was the one at the end, it was probably where Starlight Glimmer lived. It seemed so artificial. As long as ponies obeyed Apple Bloom and saw her as the ruler of Equestria, Apple Bloom didn’t care about organizing anything else or interfering with their lives. What kind of pony could actually like this sad sack of a town?

All the ponies must have been hiding in their houses because she didn’t see anyone. Apple Bloom would have been disappointed if it turned out that they all died already.

However, Apple Bloom saw three grinning ponies with equal cutie marks.

“Welcome to our town”, said a male earth pony.
“Yes, where we are no different from another besides name”, said a female unicorn.
“Do you wish to be one of us?”, said a male pegasus.

“Ah’m an alicorn, what do you think?”

“Alicorns and griffons are welcome here if they wish to be one of us”, said the male earth pony.

“You have no cutie mark to take from me”, said Gilda flexing her muscles.

“This is so creepy. At least tell us your names. Ah am Alicorn Apple Bloom – Queen of Equestria. And this is Gilda.”

“Night Glider”, said the pegasus.
“Sugarbelle”, said the unicorn.
“Double Diamond”, said the earth pony.

“Why do none of you have real cutie marks?”

“We once did”, said Double Diamond, “but our leader determined we were better off without them and thus they are removed.”

“Blasphemy! You are under my jurisdiction and thus ah am your leader. Help me and ah will give you your cutie marks back.”

“But our leader offers us harmony. You don’t appear to be one who is harmonious”, said Sugarbelle with a pout.

“Ah will get you your cutie marks back – what else do you want?”

“Where is this Starlight Glimmer? I’m gonna give her a piece of my mind”, growled Gilda.

The door opened in the house that stood alone. A young unicorn mare approached them. She had the = sign cutie mark like the others but her color appeared a little brighter. She had a lilac coat and a sinister grin.

“Hello, my friends. I suppose these two have read my letter. My name is Starlight Glimmer – the humble mayor of Our Town. Apple Bloom, do you wish to join my town as a permanent resident?”

“Uhh, you must have been stuck in this shit place for way too long. Do you know who ah am?”

“Of course, you have overthrown Celestia. But as I refused to consider myself part of Celestia’s empire, I refuse to consider myself part of yours – Apple Bloom.”

“If you knew what ah’m capable, you would be a lot more scared of me.”

“Why would I be afraid of a mare who speaks like she grew up on a farm?”

“My farm upbringing created my blood. Wanna taste it?”

“You think you’re hot shit because you’re an alicorn now! Puh-lease. I have the highest IQ of any pony in Equestria and can obliterate you.”



“That’s definitely not true. Even if you’re the second smartest pony in Equestria – you really have no clue what ah have done, have you?”

“I could have overthrown Celestia if I wanted to do so.”

“What else do you know about my path to power?”

Starlight looked nervous. In her isolated village, she really had no clue.

“Well, there’s a lot – sweetheart”, said Apple Bloom blowing Starlight a kiss.

“Where did..er..your griffon friend go?”

“Ah dunno. She’s probably exploring your quaint village. Gilda is a curious sort.”

“So maybe you two would wanna you know – just give up and join my village. I can promise you eternal harmony and happiness.”

“To me, all those grinning ponies look oppressed and without any sort of individuality.”

“You think you’re so special because of your cutie mark, huh? Why is that apple black anyway?”

“Ah don’t think you would be interested. It’s some lowly farm pony tale. Not one of your fancy shmancy wherever the fuck you’re from.”

“It looks so ominous. Are you sure you don’t want that mark removed? You can be good.”

“Oh please. Ah was a blank flank when ah was killing ponies ah found undesirable.”

“Killing ponies you found undesirable? That’s how you got to your power, I suppose.”

Apple Bloom heard a griffon’s squawk.

“What did you find, Gilda?”

“Nothing exciting. I just found this weird staff. Maybe I can use it as a back scratcher.”

Starlight’s eyes widened with fear.

“No, you fucking moron”, shouted Starlight, “that is my staff and you shan’t abuse it!”

Starlight lunged herself at Gilda to only be knocked backwards by Gilda’s powerful body.

“Ah reckon this thing is important”, said Apple Bloom, “hmmm, maybe we should figure out what it does.”

“Hey, you’re the genius. You can take a look.”

“Make sure Starlight is guarded while ah study this staff.”

Gilda pinned Starlight Glimmer down. Apple Bloom could see that some of the other ponies’ reactions had changed from their sycophantic grins. She could see a look of hope in Sugarbelle’s eyes. This thing was damn important.

Apple Bloom used her alicorn magic to activate the staff.

The staff began to glow. Apple Bloom was ready to use it but Gilda noticed something.

“Hey Queen Apple Bloom, this bitch painted the = cutie mark on her flank.” Gilda flew Starlight Glimmer up in the sky and threw her in a lake.

Starlight Glimmer emerged from the lake and her true cutie mark could be seen by all: a purple and white star with two blue glimmering streams.
“She’s a tyrant”, shouted a male unicorn, “let’s give her what she deserves.”

“Now hold on just a minute”, said Double Diamond, “we all want to beat the shit out of Starlight – but Queen Apple Bloom, that staff you have is the Staff of Sameness. It made our cutie marks = signs.”

“Oh, this thing”, said Apple Bloom, “it’s just a piece of wood. Ah can give you all your cutie marks back.”

Starlight was furious.

“They remain under my reign! You were born an earth pony – no way your magic is as good as mine!’

“Ah am a quick study.”

Apple Bloom focused on all the ponies. They would get their cutie marks back. They would know Apple Bloom as a hero. With a quick plethora of magic, Apple Bloom gave every pony in Our Town their cutie mark back.

The crowd cheered.

“You..you….you took away our utopia”, snarled Starlight Glimmer, “now you must pay.”

Apple Bloom giggled. This unicorn was obviously impressed with herself. Starlight and Apple Bloom began to generate powerful beams of magic.

Apple Bloom had to admit that Starlight was talented at magic. She doubted even Twilight knew how to rob ponies of their cutie marks. However, Apple Bloom had the raw strength of an alicorn on her side. Apple Bloom’s magic overpowered that of Starlight Glimmer – causing the unicorn to be stunned into place.

That was easy, thought Apple Bloom.

Apple Bloom walked over to the stunned Starlight Glimmer and said, “ah am here to pass judgment on your crimes. Now it is time to decide on your sentence. The crimes you have been charged with are treason against the rule of Queen Apple Bloom and the theft of cutie marks from dozens of ponies. Ah think a jury of your peers should decide on your verdict. Ah know this jury is biased but they know you best and the pain you brought upon them. What do these ponies think?”

“I speak for all of my fellow prisoners here”, said Double Diamond, “when I say that Starlight Glimmer is guilty of both crimes and you can do whatever you like to her.”

“Excellent, the sentence is death! My top assassin, Gilda, shall kill Starlight Glimmer in any way that she wishes.”

Apple Bloom moved to the side and Gilda approached Starlight – studying the stunned unicorn for a moment. Gilda showed her claws to the audience and flew up in the air. Gilda made a powerful dash downwards right towards the stunned pony.

There was a cloud of dust. Once the dust dissipated, Apple Bloom could only see a confused Gilda. Huh, what the hell happened?

Apple Bloom looked up in the sky and saw Starlight Glimmer floating in the air.

“Of course, you would underestimate me – Apple Bloom. That spell was pathetic. I was just waiting to see what you two would do. You’re not as strong as you think. I can beat you in a magic duel so easily. And then I will take my power back over Our Town. And you fools who wanted me dead are going to pay! You’re ready?”

“Oh, it’s on, bitch”, shouted Apple Bloom, “I’m gonna win”.

Author's Note:

Apple Bloom vs. Starlight Glimmer
Find out what happens in the next chapter of "The Black Apple".