• Published 25th Aug 2014
  • 5,543 Views, 197 Comments

The Price of Failure - Humanity



What lengths would you go to in order to undo the worst mistake of your life?

  • ...
35
 197
 5,543

Chapter 16

Author's Note:

My apologies on this story, but I have an announcement to make. With The Price of Failure being a complete tragedy along with the current segment of The Lost Element's current arc also being quite dark and depressing, I am finding myself becoming somewhat overwhelmed. Therefore, until the current conflict in The Lost Element is resolved and I move on to writing happier chapters, I will be placing this story on hiatus. It is quite taxing to have to go back and forth between two tragedies following the same timeline.

Furthermore, due to The Lost Element being used in the Tournament of Canterlot fundraiser contest, this story shall be on hiatus until early next year. I have to prioritize so as to not fall behind other competitors.

I have been dreading this day all week… It feels like it was so long ago when I last saw him alive. Today is the day we…say goodbye one last time.

I looked myself in the mirror. Almost noon. I looked so tired… I keep dreaming about him… And every time I wake up, I keep trying to go back to sleep so I could see him again. But it never works…

I heard a familiar voice speak from just below me. Somewhere in the lower section of the loft. “Twilight? Are you ready to go?”

I looked down. There was Spike standing with an adorable yet somber black bowtie at the base of his neck. And in his hands was a yellow diamond. “I’m ready… And you look fine, Spike. But…what’s the diamond for?”

Spike really does not understand death very well at all. He has never attended a funeral. But he knew something was wrong. I could see it in his eyes. “It’s… Well… He gave me one of these around the time we first met. I was thinking…maybe I could give it back to him before he’s gone forever.”

That was just…so sweet of him. It really showed he cared. And I could not help but smile while I trotted down the steps and gently nuzzled his cheek. “I’m sure he would appreciate that, Spike. Let’s go. It won’t be long before the funeral starts.”

After levitating him onto my back, I made my way outside. The weather today was…so dreary. It was strangely fitting of what was going to happen. Spike and I did not say a word while we headed through town. The reception was being held at the town square. The entire town of Ponyville was filled with a somber presence. Nopony I saw was smiling and a fair number were heading in the direction I was. It truly was a day of mourning.

I reached the town square and… I was rather surprised by how many had gathered. Faces I did not know and some I did know. I suppose it was not entirely surprising. As he was the only human in Ponyville, if you saw James, you knew who he was in the same way that you would know who Spike is if you saw him.

My nerves became shot as I drew closer. Through the crowd, I could vaguely make out the form of a coffin. And I knew that I would see his face if I got much closer. Spike noticed that I came to a halt and asked, “Twilight, are you OK?”

“Spike… Could you go on ahead for a moment? I…need to prepare myself for this…” I did not want to let Spike see James lying dead in the coffin by himself, but… I had to prepare myself.

“Uh… All right… But…I don’t wanna go too far without you. I’ll go wait by Applejack over there.” He then hopped off of me and ran over to Applejack, who was standing near the edge of the crowd.

It has been ten days since the day we…failed him… If only I could go back and change it all… Tell myself to never leave his side after we met up in the labyrinth… I could use that spell to go back for a moment…but it would not change the present… He is gone…

I did not have very long to collect my thoughts. I heard somepony coming up from behind me. And then…I heard a voice I almost did not recognize. “Twilight Sparkle… Is this where…he is?”

There was something familiar about that voice but…I just could not put my hoof on it. So I turned to face whoever was behind me. The pony was covered in a black cloak, though her forelegs could still be seen as they were exposed. I had seen that light shade of blue before… I looked directly at the face hidden by the hood and asked, “You’re…Trixie?”

She lifted her hoof to her hood and lowered it, revealing her face. I recognized her right away. The Great and Powerful Trixie. Or, as she called herself the last time around, Trixie the Illusionist. Her eyes were filled with…such a profound fear. “Tell me, Twilight… Is it true? Is he truly…no longer with us?”

Of all the ponies in the world I was not expecting to see, Trixie was definitely close to the top of the list. She and James had only known each other for a few days. But at the same time… He helped turn her life around. I suppose I should not have been surprised she would manage to attend. “He… Well…”

I could not bring myself to speak, so I instead motioned my head towards the direction of the coffin I could only barely see through the crowd. Trixie leaned to the side to see around me. “I… Please, excuse me…”

“No… I’ll go too.” I whispered before we both made our way through the crowd. I kept hearing quiet discussions with the other attendees. Some discussed the first time they ever laid eyes on him or brief encounters with him. Others lamented over how young he was when he…died… When we reached the coffin, Big Macintosh was standing in the way. Only the space to the left was lifted to reveal its occupant. The big stallion had swapped out his yoke for a black vest around his neck. He was looking at whoever was lying in the coffin with a solemn frown before lifting his head while looking and sounding like he was struggling to not break down in tears. Finally, he turned and walked away with his head hanging low. And right before us… There he lay.

There he was… My mind became a haze. It was the first time I had seen him since ten days ago. And now… His flesh was pale… His complexion…looked almost artificial in appearance. His hands were clasped over his lower chest while… He looked amazing in that white jacket. Almost as if Rarity herself made it for him. But still… He… My friend was lying dead before me. The last time I saw him, I at least still had some hope that he may have been holding on by a thread. But now I knew for certain… He truly was gone…

My emotions were a mess… I did not know what to think or say. I felt tears building at the edge of my eyes, but… No words came. I must have been in shock. I had never truly lost a friend before… But before I could even try to put my thoughts together, Trixie stepped forward and rested her hoof on the side of the coffin. “It’s… It feels like it’s been too long, friend…”

I said nothing while letting Trixie speak what was on her mind. “How did this happen… It’s only been a month or so since we last… I was planning on stopping by to see you and catch up on lost time after my very next tour… Perhaps even spend some time around the fire during the Hearths Warming Eve season… I never forgot about you, my friend… You are still…Trixie’s only friend…”

It was then I saw them. The tears started falling while Trixie all but collapsed at the coffin’s side. But her hoof never left the spot where it was resting. “You don’t know what you did for me… Ever since that night, everything has been going splendidly… More and more ponies are attending my performances… Those who once booed and hissed at me now applaud with tremendous gusto. They throw bits and flowers and cheers at my feet like long ago… But even with all these luxuries I had all but forgotten the feelings of, I never forgot about you… You were…the best thing to happen to me in quite some time… I wish I could’ve told you that…”

I could hardly believe how humble Trixie was sounding. So many tears and such emotion in her words… James… Are you seeing this? Do you know what you did for her? I remember how she was when she first arrived in Ponyville close to three years ago. And the Trixie before me at that moment… Nothing short of a far cry from the pompous jerk I first saw her as. You changed her… And she knows it.

Trixie did not move from that spot at all while she seemed to be struggling to find the right words. It was during that time that I happened to notice two of the royal guard standing at opposite ends of the coffin. I suspect that they had brought James and his coffin from Canterlot themselves.

I did not wish to disturb Trixie, so I left her be for the moment. I had to get away from that coffin regardless. My emotions were just swirling around in my head. But once I escaped the crowd in the immediate area, I froze when I saw three ponies approaching from the direction of the train station, two of whom I know very well. My tears burst forth from my eyes as I felt my inhibitions break down. “Armor…!”

I ran to my brother and buried my face into his neck. I felt him hold me like so many times before. I was so glad to see him there. I felt a wing drape over me in an embrace. Cadence was with him. Nopony said anything for what felt like forever, but I heard Cadence speak softly into my ear. “I’m so sorry this happened, Twilight… How did a man filled with so much love… I just don’t understand it…”

Shining Armor then whispered to me while he rubbed his hoof along my neck. “He was a good man, Twilight… You should be proud that he was your friend. I know I’m glad to have met him.”

“Miss Sparkle…” I heard a voice I was only partially familiar with. I turned my head and saw my brother’s second-in-command in the royal guard. Estoc. Unlike my brother, who was clad in armor while lacking his helmet, Estoc was wearing his full suit of armor and bowed his head. “As someone who personally knew your friend, you have my sincere condolences over this tragedy. I wish there was something I could’ve done to help prevent it…”

“Thank you… That means a lot…” It was really all I could say. I was still trying to squeeze out all the tears I could that I had been holding in for too long.

“Estoc, have Fuller and Lance been stationed where requested?” My brother asked Estoc while I started to pull away from him. My tears had slowed for the moment.

Estoc looked over at the crowd behind us before looking back at Shining Armor. “Yes, captain. They are positioned at the sides of the coffin as per protocol.”

“Good. Carry on then.” My brother commanded before Estoc started to head towards the crowd again.

I was left confused on why the royal guard had any real presence at this funeral. I know that James and my brother had a friendly relationship, but for the rest… “Armor… Why is some of the royal guard stationed here? And now that I think about it… Why have I seen several of them positioned around Ponyville on my way here?”

A great frown spread across his face. “It was under the orders of the princesses. From what I understand, your friend’s final act was that he destroyed a great threat to this world. I don’t know what was going through your friend’s mind at the time, but the truth of the matter is James died a hero’s death. He rid this world of Discord forever. That alone is worthy of acknowledgement.”

I would hardly call his actions that day as being heroic. But in the long run… Yes. James…did destroy a grave threat to Equestria in his final minutes. The people of Equestria would view that as an act of heroism. And besides… This was all our…

Once again, I felt my tears flow as I was reminded of what occurred that day. Cadence was quick to respond and held me in a tender embrace. “I know, Twilight… He will be missed. Princess Celestia will be attending soon with her sisters. She just had something to tend to with Nightmare Moon just as we were departing.”

At the mention of Nightmare Moon… I felt a twinge of fear fill me. The last time I saw her, she tried to…kill me. “Wait… Nightmare Moon? She’s coming?”

“I don’t see why not. From what I saw, she and James were exceptionally close. Is that a problem?” My brother said in reply. I suppose he had not been informed of her violent outburst. Or at least the reasoning behind it…

I was not sure of how to tell him. I did not want him to worry, especially during such a somber event. We were all under quite a bit of emotional duress. “Uh… No, not really… I’ve just been worried about her. That’s all…”

“Yeah, I heard from the guards stationed just outside the high tower chamber that she’s been…rather unruly.” Armor spoke while also looking noticeably worried. “But I’m sure she’ll keep a straight face for this event. I don’t think Celestia and Luna would appreciate her scaring away everypony else who’s come to pay respects.”

“We should go, dear. We only have so long before they close the coffin. Are you coming, Twilight?” Cadence said while taking a few steps towards the crowd.

I really wanted to see him. To say goodbye. But my nerves were still frayed. I could not approach him just yet. “Not yet… I still need to prepare myself…”

Cadence gave me a very sympathetic smile. I know she could understand what I was going through. “We understand. If you need us, we’ll be very close by.” I smiled in return, but it instantly became a frown once they started to walk away.

I was looking into the crowd from the outside. I wanted to get close, but… It strangely felt as if something was holding me back. I could see some more familiar faces in the crowd. Zecora was attending while covered in her brown cloak. I saw Filthy Rich and Ruby Ring in the crowd with a very distraught Diamond Tiara. I was almost expecting her to look happy considering her first encounter with James, but… It looked like she was crying. Did she just see him?

“Morning, Twilight! What’s up?!” I really was not expecting such a loud and cheerful greeting on such a gloomy day and during an even gloomier event. And sure enough when I turned around, I found the greeting came from a…rather unsettlingly cheery Pinkie Pie. I mean she is always pretty cheery, but if there was one day where she should not be, today is that day!

“Um… Good morning, Pinkie… Are you all right? You look…a little too happy considering the…um…funeral we’re at.” I said in return while starting to feel a…pretty creepy vibe coming from Pinkie Pie I had never felt before.

“Of course I’m all right! I’m especially all right now that I know James is home! How long has it been since we last saw him? Ten days? Well, whatever it’s been, it’s been a while! So of course I’m feeling all right!” She spoke while giggling happily. But every once in a while, she would…twitch. And rather violently at that. Almost like she had felt a very sharp pain, but did not yelp or shriek in response. I was tempted to ask her about it, but knowing Pinkie Pie… She would deny anything was wrong.

“Uh… Yeah, he’s home. And he’s right over there. But…um… Would you mind not being too loud today? It a bit of a…special occasion.” I was hoping that Pinkie Pie smiling and acting cheery was all just an act around me or something along the lines of trying to brighten the mood. Although considering how well I know her, I was shocked she was not more torn up over her friend’s death. Something was not right…

“Oooh, so it’s THAT kind of special occasion. OK! Nothing but quiet whispers from me for the rest of the day! Anyway, I better go check on James. Gotta make sure he knows we need him in the kitchen this week!” What in the world was wrong with that mare… She just went trotting off towards the crowd as if nothing was wrong.

I had a bad feeling of what Pinkie Pie was going to do, so I decided to stay close behind her. When we reached the coffin, I saw a tearful Derpy Hooves being led away by Cheerilee. It was so good to see both of them there… I know James and Derpy always had a friendly casual relationship and Cheerilee only had nice things to say about him whenever I asked. Even so, I could not bear to look at James at the moment. So I moved further down the length of the coffin so its lid obstructed my view of his face. Even though he was nothing more than a corpse, she seemed blissfully oblivious of the truth that was right in front of her.

Even though she was constantly smiling, Pinkie Pie at least honored my request to keep her voice down. “Hey there, James. I haven’t seen you in a while. Have you been OK? I’ve really missed seeing you at work. It’s not as enjoyable without you. We’re gonna need you all three days next week, OK? You’ll be coming in to work, right?”

What she said next was what really alarmed me. “OK, great! And we’ll have plenty of chocolate drops too! Huh? Oh, Gummy’s fine! And yeah, don’t worry. I’ll make sure he stays outta the apple-bobbing tub at the next party I set up. I dunno about all the following parties though. He can be tricky to keep an eye on!”

Why… What was wrong with her? She was acting as if James was actually talking to her... And that powerful twitch… She kept showing it every several seconds, usually during a lull in her speech. It was even starting to scare me. I had to get away from her. I was worried that she was going to do something really freaky.

However, I didn’t get far before I literally ran right into somepony in the crowd. “Oops… I’m sorry, Flut… Wait, Fluttershy?”

I have not seen Fluttershy very much at all since we came home from Canterlot. I have even been quite worried about her. But…those eyes… “It’s good to see you here… I haven’t seen you in a while. Are you… Flutter…shy?”

That gaze she was giving me. Her eyes… They were so…empty. Lifeless. They looked more like the eyes of a doll than a living person. There was…nothing I could see in them. “Fluttershy… Talk to me. How have you been? I know this isn’t an easy time for us, but…”

All she did was stare at me while only occasionally glancing in different directions. But…she never said a word. Almost as if she had become mute. No matter what I said, I could not get a word out of her. But then again… She probably was not there for conversation. As much as I wanted to do something to help her, I knew there probably was not anything I could do. “Do you…just need some time alone…?”

That question did get a bit of a reaction out of her. I almost did not detect it, but Fluttershy did show a slight nod. I nodded in return and stepped out of her way. All I could do was watch in silence while she shambled towards James’ coffin. Pinkie Pie had apparently finished her ‘conversation’ and was nowhere to be seen. For a moment, Fluttershy did not move from that spot. She did not say anything. But eventually, she did do something I was not surprised to see. She practically collapsed onto the edge of the coffin. She would frequently shudder violently, a sure sign that she was quietly crying. I knew there was nothing I could do, so I left her to have a moment of silence with the man she loved…

“It just doesn’t feel right, Twi… He’s right there and…I still just can’t accept it. Why’d it have ta end like this…?” I heard Applejack say from next to me before I could even notice her next to me. When I looked at her, I saw that she had left her favorite hat at home and instead was wearing a black version of it. A fitting choice of headwear for the occasion.

“You know that’s a question we’ll never have an answer to… But how’s your eye? Did you take the patch off yet?” I said before looking right at Applejack’s face. It seemed that the patch she had been wearing over her black eye had been removed.

Applejack leaned her head towards me to let me get a better look. “Yeah, it’s fine. I took it off a couple days ago.” But she then glanced over at the coffin, where Fluttershy was still likely crying silently. “But it ain’t anythin’ like Fluttershy’s goin’ through… I wish there was somethin’ we could do…”

I do not even remember what we discussed. Just pointless small talk. I really appreciated Applejack’s presence there as it was helping distract me from…the horror of knowing who was in that coffin. I think she was feeling the same way. Spike just stood there while looking around. I think he was at a loss of how to feel.

Fluttershy stayed at the coffin’s side for so long that the guards had to escort her away so that others could step forward to pay their respects. She did not put up much of a fight though. Almost as if she…had no will. The next visitors to approach the coffin were Eleina and her son. I think his name is Button Mash. I do not know either of them particularly well, although I did join him and James at the arcade once. It was a good time. I guess they were friends too…

Eleina did not say anything and allowed Button to stand next to the open end of the coffin. He had swapped out his beanie hat for an adorable little black and white vest. He seemed to understand the grim situation, although… It really did not seem that he could fully understand that his friend was gone.

He propped himself up on the side of the coffin and started to talk. “Uh… Hey there, James… I haven’t seen you in a while… Um… You look really good in that jacket. I mean really really good…”

It did not take him long to start to get a grasp of what had truly happened. And when he placed his hoof on James’ hand, it became heartbreaking to watch. “I was hoping we could play again at the arcade on Sunday again… I’ve gotten pretty good with the archer in Equestrian Heroes… Almost made it to the second last level last time. Maybe next time you… Ah… Ah…”

He was struggling to not cry. Trying to be tough like a lot of boys do. But he could not hold it in for long. Button Mash burst out in tears, wailing while his mother held him close and gently tried to shush him. She had to take him away from there so as to not disturb the visitors. For a child to lose a friend and see him lying dead… I know every child learns about death at some point, but to actually witness it so young…

“Twilight… Are we gonna say goodbye too?” I heard Spike ask before I noticed him looking up at me. After seeing Button Mash break down like that, considering that they are of similar age, I guess he was feeling a bit scared of what he would see. I could tell he wanted me to be there with him.

I looked at Applejack, who then motioned her head towards the coffin. It had to be done. So I looked at Spike and nodded. “Yeah… We should do it while nopony is doing it.”

Together, we headed over to the coffin while I stood by his side. My nerves… I was finally standing right next to him for the first time since… That memory flashed over my vision for a second. I could still see him lying in a pool of crimson blood, his bloodstained armored hand lying in a circle of our cutie marks drawn out in…

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of Spike’s voice. He was looking at James over the side of the coffin with that yellow diamond still in his hands. “Uh… Hi, James… It’s me. Spike… I… I just wanted to say goodbye and… Uh… Just…give you something.”

He started to reach out with the yellow diamond in his hand. And then I knew why it seemed strangely familiar to me somehow. “You see this? It’s the same as the one you gave me a long time ago. So I… I thought maybe you could take it with you…”

He reached out and gently lifted James’ right hand. It… I had all but forgotten. The flesh looked scorched… I can still remember the moment when his gauntlet became mangled from intense heat... But when he touched it, I saw Spike quiver while he seemed to cringe. It was his first time seeing someone dead. And the first time he had ever touched a corpse. And he is still only a child… “Twilight… He feels…cold and…heavy…”

I tried to hold in my tears. I still was not ready to let them fall. “I know, Spike… That’s because he’s dead…”

There was something about those words that seemed to awaken some sort of horror within him. As if until that moment, he could not properly comprehend death. Even so, while looking noticeably unnerved, Spike gently clasped James’ fingers around the diamond and returned his hand to where it was lying before then. “I’m really sorry for all the times I slammed the door into you… I always had my hands full and couldn’t really see much over those stacks of books… You were always a really nice guy. I mean really…”

He started to cry. Just out of nowhere, Spike’s voice dissolved into incoherent sobs as he tried to talk. I know he and James were never the closest of friends. His duties as my assistant usually kept him preoccupied to the point of seldom being with me whenever I met up with him. But they were always on good terms with each other. I still remember the day when Spike had a free day and spent it at the local arcade with James and Button Mash. He said what a good time it was…

Finally, when Spike could not take it anymore, he turned away from James and held onto me tightly while burying his face into my neck. I wrapped a leg around him while trying to not look at the coffin beside me. I was not ready to face him… But we were both interrupted by a familiar voice. “I know, Spike… It’s…difficult to see a dear friend go…”

Rarity. A wide-brimmed black hat rested atop her head while a black veil hung over her face. Upon seeing her, Spike instantly broke away from me and embraced her while burying his face into her neck while her own posture mirrored my own from a moment earlier. “I pray I am not too late… Is the reception still going?”

“It is… We’ve even had a few unexpected faces show up… Did you see Trixie?” I asked in return, trying to distract myself from what was right behind me.

“Trixie? I’m hardly surprised that she would… Hm?” Before she could speak further, there was the sound of a bit of commotion in the crowd. Especially from the direction of the train station. Rarity turned to look through the group of ponies while gazing intensely. “What’s happening? Why is… Oh, that little…”

Spike seemed to notice something in Rarity and backed away suddenly while he dried his tears. However, I could not make out anything in the crowd or at the very edge of it. “What’s wrong? I don’t see anypony out there.”

I saw a look of silent rage in Rarity’s eyes just behind the veil before he began to march angrily in the direction of the source of the commotion. “I do.”

This change in her mood had me worried, so I followed behind her. Spike stayed close to me and even climbed onto my back. When we reached the edge of the crowd of visitors, I saw who was likely the cause of it. I know that tall white and blond stallion anywhere. And Rarity did too. “How dare you even show your face here, you wretch!”

It was Prince Blueblood. I have never had the chance to get to know him personally, even during my earliest days as Princess Celestia’s student. And I can honestly say I am glad that was the case. Regardless of the negative attention his presence was bringing, he still tried to get in a few words. “Yes, Miss Rarity. But I am only here to…”

What Rarity did next was something I did not see coming at all. Before Blueblood could even finish his words, she reached out and punched him straight across the face! Even among the locals of Ponyville, this got quite a bit of noise out of the bystanders. Nopony could believe that someone had just attacked a prince. Although I still have to wonder why he has that title…

I could hear Rarity’s voice breaking in a frightening fusion of wrath and sorrow as I am sure tears were starting to stain her cheeks while Blueblood staggered to avoid falling from the blow. “Was knowing he is no more not good enough for you?! Felt you had to arrive in person to get the final laugh?! What are you planning?! To gloat over his corpse?! Spit on his grave?! Mock his name while you still live and he lies dead before you?! Answer me, you abomination!”

Blueblood was clearly cowering before her. He had great difficulty bringing himself to speak in her presence. But before he could even try to do so, we heard another voice come from nearby. “That is quite enough, Rarity.”

All eyes turned to face the source. We all knew who it was. Princess Celestia with Princess Luna and Nightmare Moon at her sides. I initially cringed upon seeing the Princess of Dreams with her, but felt myself calm slightly when I saw her face devoid of anger. All I saw in those eyes was great exhaustion and sorrow. Princess Luna then stepped forward while looking rather displeased with Blueblood. “You know you were not invited to this, Blueblood. I must ask you to leave.”

“Please, just let me explain!” The prince suddenly called out while rubbing his swollen cheek with his hoof. All were silent. “My personal feelings towards that man mean little at this moment. It has come to my attention that this man died purging Equestria of a grave threat. As prince…I am duty-bound to see this hero off.”

I could not even begin to guess why he even wanted to attend. Considering what happened at the Grand Galloping Gala this year, I would have expected Blueblood to have nothing but loathing for James. I could see that Rarity still held her doubts while she gave him that glare, but she soon turned her head away. It was Nightmare Moon who broke the silence with an exhausted brooding stare. “Very well then, prince. You may remain to pay tribute. But be warned. At the first sign of any form of disorderly conduct, you will be on the next train back to Canterlot. In a crate, if necessary.”

Blueblood did not show any signs of wariness or intimidation. As if his intentions were quite sincere. “I understand, your highness.”

Bit by bit, the crowd began to disperse and return to whatever they were doing. Rarity clearly did not want to be in his presence and walked away. And Spike followed her. Before I could even think on it, I heard a familiar voice speak up from nearby. “Man, never thought I’d see Rarity get such a good shot in against old Blueballs. Did you see that, Twilight?”

Rainbow Dash had only just arrived. And judging by the dark spots under her eyes, she did not sleep well last night. Or possibly some other reason. Blueblood seemed to flinch at those words, but walked away without confronting her. I turned to Rainbow Dash, but…those bloodshot eyes… “Hi, Rainbow… Uh… Are you all right?”

She rubbed her head and her eyes. She clearly was in a bit of discomfort. “Hangover. I already whipped up a remedy for it, but it hasn’t completely kicked in yet…”

I have noticed that Rainbow Dash has been visiting the local pub rather frequently. Almost every other day. And whenever I do see her, she’s usually either slightly intoxicated, actually drunk, or suffering from a hangover. She… Rainbow Dash loved James dearly… No, that is not quite right. She still loves him. And she is suffering. “Have you been…drinking lately?”

The only times I ever saw Rainbow Dash touch alcohol is during events that had hard cider. Just that and nothing else. But for her to be experimenting with other more potent types of strong drink when she is clearly not somepony who can hold her liquor… She replied to my inquiry with a shameful frown. “What else can I do to numb the pain, Twilight?”

She really was not looking herself. All the brazen confidence and energy I usually saw in her was gone. I know we have all been suffering from this fracture in our circle of friends, but Rainbow Dash has definitely been taking it harder than most. I wish there was some sort of advice I could have given her, but there was not. I too have been tempted by bottles of scotch and whisky whenever I am out shopping lately. Like some strange natural compulsion…

“It is a natural compulsion. Alcohol is usually the first port of call for those who wish to drown their sorrows when plagued with a heavy heart.” A voice I only barely recognized spoke from nearby. And when Rainbow and I turned to face him, I recognized the source of the voice immediately. “Miss Sparkle and Miss Dash. It’s been quite some time.”

“Uh… What’s your name again? Fancy Boxers?” Rainbow Dash asked while looking a bit intoxicated. I suppose she still was not entirely out of the influence of alcohol.

I decided to correct her right there. “No, Rainbow. Fancy Pants. But… Why are you here? I’m surprised a member of the Canterlot elite would ever visit a funeral for a commoner.”

Fancy Pants sighed while he used levitation magic to habitually clean his monocle with a handkerchief being stored in his vest pocket. “My social status means little when it comes to paying respects to a good man. I only had the luxury of encountering Sir James roughly twice, although my occasional public soirees with royalty would often allow details to be divulged to me regarding his escapades. Your friend was indeed a good man, Miss Sparkle. And let nopony tell you otherwise.”

I could only vaguely smile at his warm words. “It’s an honor to hear that from you, Fancy Pants.”

“No, there is no need to thank me, Miss Sparkle. I was merely saying the truth. Such a calm and pleasant fellow with ample wit. How this came to be… My mind simply cannot fathom it. But to spend his final moments ridding us of a grave threat… Truly, he died a hero’s death. I only wish it did not have to be this way…”

Once more, I withheld the details regarding exactly how and why James died. Those who were attending his funeral were there to say farewell to the friend they knew, not to the monster he briefly became. But before we could discuss anything further, I saw them drawing near. “Princess Celestia…”

Fancy Pants was quick to turn around and promptly bowed before the three princesses standing before him. “Ah, your highnesses… My sincere condolences for your loss. I know he was a dear friend of you all.”

“Your words honor the fallen, Fancy Pants. Thank you. Please, do carry on.” Princess Luna spoke with a somber smile. Fancy Pants then rose from his bowed position and began to make his way into the crowd nearby.

Rainbow Dash and I were on the verge of bowing as well, though we hesitated when our gaze took note of Nightmare Moon looking directly at us. But before we could jump to conclusions, she shook her head at us. “Calm yourselves… My wrath has burned away to mere cinders by this point. All that remains with me is…emptiness. The source of my wrath is no longer alive to receive it…”

“Oh… That’s cool, I guess… I mean… I’ll just be over there.” Rainbow Dash replied before she nervously scampered off. I guess she was not entirely trusting of Nightmare Moon to stay calm.

I hardly paid her any mind. My attention was directed to my wise and kind mentor. I felt my inhibitions once again fade while my tears spilled over as she held me close to her. “Once again… I am dreadfully sorry this occurred, Twilight…”

“I know… It’s just… It was only for a year… And I just can’t accept that he’s gone…” It almost felt like a dream. A dream I was hoping I would awaken from at any second.

“So many have gathered… More than I anticipated.” I heard Princess Luna say while she gazed into the crowd of well-wishers. I too was surprised by how many were attending. Then again, as I wrote earlier, it would be difficult to not know who he was after living in Ponyville for a year.

“Have you paid your respects yet, Twilight?” Princess Celestia asked me quietly while her sisters looked on.

It was rather ironic. Even though I was the first person in Equestria he ever met, I was likely going to be the last one to pay my respects. I slowly pulled away from my mentor and bowed my head. “Not yet… I still need to prepare myself… Please don’t close the coffin just yet…”

Princess Celestia showed a somber frown while she spoke to me. “We won’t, Twilight. We must give everypony the chance to say their farewells. It would not be fair to him to deny someone he was close to.”

Together we began to head back into the crowd. When the coffin came into view again, I saw Mitta standing at its side while Ruby was by her side. I heard her try to speak, but it almost immediately turned into quiet sobbing while Ruby embraced her friend. I can still remember the night James brought Mitta out of the Everfree Forest, still clad in his armor. And her joy when the curse was lifted from her. And now she was seeing her savior lying dead before her…

Mitta was led away before Prince Blueblood stepped forward while keeping his distance. But he certainly was not expecting Fancy Pants to pass him by, judging by that shocked glance. “Fancy Pants? You’re here as well?”

“But of course, my lord. I must see this good man off. Anypony with eyes could see that.” Fancy Pants replied rather bluntly. I guess even he was never entirely pleased with the prince either.

Fancy Pants soon stood by James’ side, his head bowed while he removed his monocle. “It’s been too long, Master James. Too long, indeed. To see you meet such an untimely end… I only wish I could have had the pleasure of your company a few more times. You were always good company and a pleasure to speak to. Slow to speak, but filled with wit. An awkward, yet sincere elegance to your presence. You were indeed a good friend to those who knew you. I… I just pray you know that you will be sorely missed, old chap. Many mourn for you this day, that I can be sure of.”

He stepped aside while Rarity stepped forward. She lifted her veil to reveal her eyes. Fancy Pants then whispered quietly to her, “Go on, Miss Rarity. Speak whatever you must.”

I heard a gasp and sob come from Rarity before she spoke with a shaky voice. “He… Hello, darling… I… I know I probably should not even be showing my face to you now, but… This may be the last time I can ever say…”

She paused for a moment to wipe her tears away. “No… Compose yourself, Rarity… My love… Please… Believe what I am about to say… The one who struck you… Who cast you aside as mere rubbish… That was not me. And yet it still was… Darling, I… There are no words to describe how direly I wish to take back what I did… There was nothing more precious to me than your boundless love…”

Very slowly, she reached out and rested her right hoof upon his lifeless hand. I could still see that silver bracelet resting around her ankle. “You know not what you have left behind, my love… Perhaps we do not deserve you after what we did to you… But no matter what… You will always be…my prince…”

I felt my heart ache as I listened. I knew Rarity had always been very close to James since the very start. If things had been different… I would not be surprised at all if they ended up becoming a couple. Finally, she could not hold the tears back any longer and broke down sobbing before our fallen friend. “Please forgive me… I will never forget all you gave me… Goodbye…sweet prince…”

Practically wailing, Rarity had to be led away by Fancy Pants. And all the while, Prince Blueblood never looked away from them. Watching constantly. And once Rarity had left our sight, he stepped forward. I felt my body tingle with a sudden surge of anticipation. What was the prince going to do?

I was expecting Blueblood to possibly even spit on James’ corpse. But instead, he merely stood there in silence with his head slightly bowed. Eventually, he did finally speak in a calm and quiet voice. “So, it has ended like this, has it? You, fallen in battle purging this world of a great evil. And I, continuing to live on in grandeur. And in spite of such, many gather to mourn your passing in similar numbers that would attend a royal wedding.”

His tone was never once condescending or even bitter. A far cry of the prince I had seen every now and then. “I loathed you… Many times, I plotted of how I would humble you at our next encounter. And yet… I am left wondering. So many shed tears for you this day, yet so many cast me angry glares. What was your secret, you rogue? What did you possess that I so sorely lacked? If I were to meet my end tomorrow…would I be just as fondly remembered?”

I could hardly believe what I was hearing… Was the prince becoming introspective now that someone he despised was lying dead before him? But never once did I see a tear fall. “I want to know what it was that drew so many to you. Why do so many mourn your passing when you were a mere commoner while so many shun me as a member of royalty? I always viewed you as a fool… Or perhaps…it was I who bore the jester’s cap?”

For a good half minute, the prince stood there silently before he continued speaking. “I want to know… I wish to know what it was that made others smile in your presence. What made you so fondly remembered. Perhaps someday, I will earn the adoration you did. And perhaps…even see the world as you did. But for now… Rest, hero.”

I could only watch in silence while Blueblood walked away with his head bowed. But more than anything, I could not believe his show of sincere cordialness in the presence of the closest thing to a rival he had ever known. There was something…different in him as he stood before my friend.

“Never thought I’d see that hoity-toity blowhard actin’ all humble like that. I’m guessin’ James got ta ‘im somehow…” I heard Applejack say from next to me. I guess she had seen him too.

I spoke my interpretation of what I had witnessed while turning to face her. “Well… They were enemies, in a sense. But neither side was really evil. I guess when one falls; the other is left wondering what they were really like in their final moments. A type of mutual respect, perhaps…” But it was while I was looking at her that I noticed that somepony was missing from the reception. “Wait… Isn’t your sister here?”

Applejack showed a small frown. “Well… She was earlier. So were the other two Crusaders. They didn’t stick around long, though. They ran off somewhere, but I didn’t hear anythin’ ‘bout where they were headin’…”

I had been worrying all morning about Scootaloo. Ever since he adopted her last year, James had been the only family she had ever known. I have barely seen her at all since ten days ago. I could only wonder how she was handling the loss…

There was a slight commotion in the crowd. And it was easy to see why. Everypony was making way for Nightmare Moon. I already had a sinking feeling in my gut. It was likely the first time she was going to lay eyes on James since the last time she saw him alive. And soon, she stood before the coffin with her face frozen in a solemn stare while her sisters stayed just behind her. The air was heavy with anticipation. I knew something ugly was about to happen.

I was close enough to hear her soft words. Slowly, she reached out to him. “No… This isn’t true… You were armed and armored… You could not have fallen… I know you’re still there, friend… I know you still draw breath…”

She could not let go. She did not want to believe he was gone. And soon, I could see the tears building at the edge of her eyes while she gently, yet frantically shook his body with her hoof. “Come on… Open your eyes… Please… It’s too soon for you to go… Our time together has been too short… Please arise… It was only back in May when you… You could not have met your end against…”

Nightmare Moon stopped speaking as I heard her begin to choke. I took a step back as she swayed her head from one side to the other while squinting her eyes shut. Finally, she lifted her head and roared at the sky as everypony stepped back. “Discord, how dare you…! What drove you to do this?! How dare you take him from me?!”

Wrath… Pure rage was in her breaking voice as the tears flowed. Princess Celestia stepped forward and was about to speak up, but Nightmare Moon continued to scream at the sky. “All you knew was how to bring misery! But never before did you maim your victims like this! Show yourself, monster! I know you’re laughing at us! I know you’re reveling in this victory! Coward! Show yourself! Return him to me!!!”

Before any of us could intervene, massive bolts of magic lightning burst forth from her horn into the sky. Over and over, Nightmare Moon unleashed her colossal magical might into the sky while wailing in a frightening combination of wrath and sorrow. Her cries were painful to hear… Even when Princess Celestia and Princess Luna held her in a twin embrace with their wings, she still continued to scream and wail while pleading in tears before she fell to her knees. Just… What was he to her? I could not help shedding tears at such a spectacular display of sorrow. James… It was thanks to you that she still lives. She never forgot that, I am sure…

I was expecting Nightmare Moon to stop soon, but she did not. I had to get some distance between us. It was just…too painful to hear. I wandered through the crowd for a short while. But after a while, Rainbow Dash came to me. “Hey, Twilight…? Just letting you know that they’re closing the coffin in a little while. You gonna pay your respects?”

Of course… I still had not said goodbye yet. But Rainbow… “Thanks… I’ll go right now. But… Did you say goodbye yet?”

She turned her head away, the building of tears clear in her eyes. “All I could do was cry… I barely got a word out… Just…go say goodbye… I can’t talk right now…”

Her voice was breaking as she spoke. I could tell she was in no shape to hold a conversation, so I left her to her sorrow and made my way back to the coffin. I steeled my nerves as I made my way through the crowd. Nightmare Moon was nowhere to be seen, but I saw my brother standing to the right side of the coffin with Fuller clad in armor. Shining Armor glanced at me while I stood by James’ side. His expression was one of silent support, nodding to me.

I gazed down at my friend. Still pale… Still stiff as stone. “Hello, James… I don’t have long… I… I’ll try to be clear with my words…”

It was difficult trying to find the right words to say. Usually, I could come up with an entire speech for such occasions. But this time, the words felt like ash in my mouth. It was a struggle to find the right words to say. So…I started from the beginning. “I… I still remember the day I first met you… When I found you standing outside Sugarcube Corner… How nervous you were…and how lost and insecure you seemed… I never would have imagined how close we would end up becoming… I was the first person you ever met in Equestria, right…?”

The tears started to flow again. I could remember those good days. I even felt myself smile as I recalled them. “You were so quiet and serious, but so caring towards your friends… Thoughtful and analytical… I loved that about you… It drew me to you in ways I never thought I would feel. I loved you… It was like you were my other half… I thought my circle of close friends was complete after the first few days I spent in Ponyville… But like an extra piece of a puzzle, you…opened a spot in the puzzle to fill. I knew friendship, but…I didn’t know what it was like to love until I met you… I learned quite a bit from you…but…”

I could hear my own voice breaking. It started to happen before I was even aware of it. “I… I only knew you for one year… But…I wish I could go back and change things… If I knew this would happen to you, I wouldn’t have let you come with us into that labyrinth… I don’t know what we’re going to do…now that you’re gone… The puzzle is incomplete now that one of the pieces has been destroyed… I just… I promise I won’t forget you… You were… You are and always will be my…”

I could not continue speaking. I could barely see. I could not string words together. I staggered away and found myself being held in a feathery embrace. Cadence. She was with me. “I’m here, Twilight… It’s all right… I know you loved him so dearly…”

I leaned against my old friend. I could always confide in her. “Why, Cadence… I loved him…but I couldn’t do anything to stop this…”

She was silent for a moment. Usually, her responses always came quickly. But not this time. “I wish I had an answer. I wish there was something I could say, but… I’m sorry, Twilight…”

The tears did eventually stop. And when it did, Cadence looked towards the crowd. It seemed like everypony was stepping aside to let someone through. “Who’s that? Three…fillies?”

Three fillies… The Cutie Mark Crusaders? I lifted my head and tried to see. Indeed, it was they. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo. They were standing very close together while carrying a folded crimson cloth across their backs. At first, I was confused as to just what it was. But after a few seconds, I felt myself gasp as I recognized it. “That’s… Oh my god, they’re about to…”

The three fillies did not say a word as they stepped forward. They then stood by James’ side, each of them showing the looks of both sorrow and confusion. Typical for a child who was only then witnessing death for the first time. My brother’s horn was coated by his magic aura, as was the open lid of the coffin. It slowly began to close over James’ upper body. And the entire time, Scootaloo did not blink once. She never took her eyes off of her brother until his coffin was sealed for the final time.

It was then that the three fillies put their plan into action. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle helped Scootaloo climb up onto the coffin while they shouldered the mass of the fabric they were carrying. Fuller was quick to step forward to stop them, but my brother stuck out his leg to halt him. Armor shook his head with a frown, silently ordering Fuller to not interfere. I was sure he knew what it was they were doing.

Everypony looked on while the other two Crusaders partially unfolded the fabric before using their heads to fling it up to Scootaloo. She caught it and backed up to the left edge of the coffin with it hanging by her mouth. With a flick of her head, it unfolded and was draped over the entire coffin. The form was obvious. A crimson sheet of fabric with the Cutie Mark Crusader emblem embedded in the center. I knew what it was. The cape Sweetie Belle had weaved for James when he was admitted into their group a year ago.

To see the three girls doing this for him… There was not a dry eye in the audience. His cape draped over the coffin like a flag… It was somber, yet beautiful. Once the ‘flag’ was in place, Scootaloo hopped down before looking at it with her fellow Crusaders. They did not say a word, but the tears falling from their faces said it all. Except for Scootaloo. Her expression remained constantly still as stone. But regardless, the three fillies then held each other in a tearful embrace, the sounds of muffled sobs coming from Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. It showed just how much he meant to them. A Cutie Mark Crusader, even to the grave.

With the reception having finished, I saw Estoc using levitation magic to bring a wooden podium over to the space in front of the coffin. The three Cutie Mark Crusaders began to move away from it as well. When I saw that they were heading in my general direction, I noticed that my dearest friends were all lined up in rows beside me. The first time we had gathered together since the day he… Even Spike had returned to my side. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle gravitated towards their sisters while Scootaloo went to Fluttershy’s side.

Applejack looked down at her sister with a somber smile and pulled her tearful face close to her in a tender embrace, as did Rarity with Sweetie Belle. “That was an awfully noble thing y’all did right there… You should be proud…”

“I know he would be honored if he could’ve seen that…” Rarity added while cradling her sister against her. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle only nodded and quietly whimpered while resting their faces against their sisters’ bodies, but Scootaloo… She did not shed a tear. She seldom even blinked. And Fluttershy… Those eyes still seemed so lifeless. Her wing halfheartedly rested over Scootaloo’s back as if she was barely even aware of what was happening around us. And Pinkie Pie… She was still smiling. But at the same time…she would frequently show brief expressions of…uncertainty or doubt. As if she was struggling to convince herself that what was happening before her was not truly our final farewells to our friend.

Once the podium was in place before us, Princess Celestia herself stepped forward until she was standing behind it. The whispers of quiet conversation that rippled through the air fell silent. My mentor was clearly showing signs of emotional duress, though she was doing an admirable job of keeping her sorrow contained. Her eyes glanced back and forth while we looked on in silence. Finally, she began to speak. “Thank you all for coming. We are gathered here today to honor and remember the life of a man who was a friend to many.”

There seemed to be a small stack of paper or flashcards resting on the podium since I could see Princess Celestia’s eyes glance down from time to time. She must have written out an entire speech before she arrived. “A man who was easy to notice, yet difficult to forget. A man who you likely had all seen and known in one way or another. A man…whose time in this world was cut short far too early. We are here…to bid farewell to a true friend of Equestria.”

It was then that she stepped away from the podium, clearly to allow somepony else to speak. The next speaker was not who I was expecting. My brother stepped forward from James’ coffin and stood at the podium, still clad in armor minus his helmet. I could hear him sigh deeply before gathering his resolve to speak. “As captain of the royal guard, I see many types of ponies in relatively short amounts of time. Many backgrounds, many faces, many personalities. But it was a rare day to come across someone as meek, yet stalwartly pleasant as James.”

Shining Armor paused briefly before he continued. In particular, Estoc, Fuller, and Lance were paying especially close attention, as they never once looked away. “I first met him just this April during the Grand Galloping Gala. During exchanges of letters and occasional visits from my sister, I had been hearing nothing but good things about the first human ever seen in Equestria. I had to pull a few strings to attend. And when I finally met the man… I was not disappointed. Reserved, quiet, and slow to speak, but genuinely warm and friendly once completely relaxed, he was the type of man who you would always want to invite over for dinner. I even recall him being somewhat nervous in my presence at first, apparently due to my standing in the royal guard. Truly a modest sort of fellow.”

I actually felt myself smile as I recalled that time… I remember their first meeting just this year. And it was only six months ago. I could see my brother smile as he too likely remembered that night before he continued speaking. “But perhaps the most unexpected thing I ever saw him do was take up the sword. Knowing him as well as I thought I did, I always felt he was too meek and gentle to ever be willing to bring harm to others. And I was right. He was never one to seek to bring harm to others, but was willing to raise his sword for the sake of those dear to him. The heart of not a warrior, but a guardian. He even bested me in a mock duel during a spot of training I oversaw. A victory I will never have the chance to reclaim…”

That little bit of information surprised me. On the night we departed to stop Nightmare Moon from bringing about an eternal night for the second time, did he…really spar with James? And how did James beat him? Regardless, my brother spoke once more. “Such men are truly uncommon. Most of the men I’ve trained are often filled with macho gusto and enthusiasm, not the calmer and more thoughtful attitude I saw in him. James was…a good man… And I am honored to call him my friend… His name will not be forgotten among the ranks of the royal guard…or among the rest of us… Even to this day, it pains me to know that maybe… Just maybe, I could’ve been there for him with a cadre of men at my back… But I know I’ll never know what that outcome would have been… My friend… Wherever you may be now… Please know that you are not forgotten…”

With his head bowed, my brother left the podium. I was expecting Princess Celestia to take the stand again. Instead, probably one of the most unexpected ponies I could think of stepped forward and stood behind the podium. Lyra Heartstrings.

I have never been close to Lyra, but I know that she and James had developed a friendly casual relationship. Even so… It was perplexing to see her, of all ponies, standing at the podium. She seemed somewhat nervous along with being disheartened. But finally, she brought herself to speak. “I know some of us sometimes wonder what’s out there. If there are any worlds out there like ours. And what a wonder it is to actually meet someone from such a world. I got to experience that wonder for myself roughly a year ago when I met…him.”

Lyra seemed tempted to turn around to glance at the coffin behind her, but she resisted. “Studying myths revolving around humans has been a pastime of mine for a while now. So… When I had the chance to actually meet one, I jumped at the chance to get to know him. He was shy and reserved at our first meeting, always letting me speak first. But when asked of his world in general, he… His response was always filled with such bitterness and even anger. A world becoming increasingly overrun with greed, hate, and so many other evils. But at the same time, he would occasionally show respect and sympathy to the good people in his world that do try to make the world a better place, even if their efforts prove fruitless in the long run…”

I could tell Lyra was speaking off the top of her head. Everything she said was coming from memory. And what she spoke was no secret to me. I too had known of James’ bitterness towards the world he came from. The passion and disgust he would show in the rare instances we would discuss it… As if he had been holding in those feelings for so long without an opportunity to vent them. “Over the months, I started to see it in him more and more… Especially with our final discussion about the world he hailed from. A disappointed, bitter, and tired man. The more times we talked, the more…exhausted he seemed to become. And yet, despite the anger he would show, he never once expressed any genuine hatred towards the world he once called home. Only disappointment. And yet… Once the bitterness and anger had run its course, he would always be such a gentle and happy person. His presence was often distant, but always warm. He was someone who cared… Someone who always listened. One would not become so angry of the deterioration of his home if he did not.”

I was impressed by just how deep Lyra’s words were. Nopony spoke. But everypony listened. “I can’t imagine how hard it must be to stay caring towards a world that barely even cares about itself… How does someone stay so warm and gentle when having to live in a world that continues to deteriorate year after year? I have sometimes wondered… If there were more people like him in the world he came from… Would it be a better place? But when it came to his views of Equestria, it was a very different story. He never once showed displeasure towards our world. And I could see a silent passion in him whenever he spoke of this world. He was a man…who loved Equestria.”

She was right… James had always been fond of our world. Very fond of it. He seemed so confused and even slightly uncomfortable in our world at first, but that fairly quickly faded away. It was then that I heard Lyra’s voice beginning to break. “He was always full of love… Always willing to make friends. And he was mine. I learned so much from him… I know that…if nothing else…he was at least happy to have died in the world he loved. I’m sorry… I don’t think I can say anything else…”

Nopony voiced any displeasure at Lyra leaving the podium so suddenly. She hurried back into the crowd while clearly in tears. And once more, Princess Celestia took the stand. Only by that point, I could see that she too was on the verge of tears as well. “We have heard powerful words today. And while I was not as blessed in my personal knowledge of our departed friend, I still…saw much within his soul.”

I was very curious of what my mentor was going to say. For the longest time, I thought James had always been much closer to Princess Luna and Nightmare Moon than her. But that did not stop Princess Celestia from speaking. “If I could describe our fallen friend in three words, it would be these. Modest. Caring. Loving. Even with the all the power in the world in his hands, he remained humble. He never once looked down upon me or anypony else. He showed great care towards those around him, thinking of others before thinking of himself. And yet, despite his humble and quiet nature, he was bold in wit and possessed a sharp tongue when the situation warranted. Always a pleasure to have in one’s company. And yet, always the last to speak. Always the first to listen.”

The more she spoke, the more I noticed her voice becoming shaky. It did not take long for tears to begin streaming down Princess Celestia’s face. She was showing a slight somber smile, yet was also clearly in pain. Finally, she lifted her face, gazing at the cloudy sky with barely a ray of sunlight shining through the occasional gap in the clouds. “Such men are truly a rarity… And it was an honor to know him in the short time he was with us… James… Bearer of Humanity… May you live on forever in our hearts…”

It was then that Princess Celestia bowed her head before folding a wing forward to hide her face. She was crying. To be moved to tears… I doubt there was anypony in the entire crowd of attendees who was not at least somewhat driven to tears by such a show of grief. I know Pinkie Pie and Rarity were struggling to not collapse in sorrow, as was I, even though Fluttershy and Scootaloo were still eerily silent.

Finally, it was time for the last act of the funeral procession. Transporting the dead to the cemetery. The podium was promptly removed before Shining Armor and Estoc stood at the left sides of the coffin, my brother at the front with Estoc on the other side. Fuller and Lance stood at the far right, mirroring their superiors’ positions. My brother, his face stern, spoke out. “Lift.”

The four of them lowered themselves before rising to a standing position. The coffin rose with them, each carrying it by the corners with the coffin hooked on their armor. The crowd began to disperse to allow them to proceed. And then, they began to carry the coffin forward. Together, we all followed in silence. The mass of attendees followed the coffin in droves.

The trek through Ponyville was… It was sorrowfully silent with only the quiet clopping of hooves filling the air. And nopony said a word… I was in constant close proximity with my dearest friends, although it was difficult to see who was around us with so many different ponies close by.

Ponyville’s streets, at least the ones we passed through, were deserted due to the procession. But every time we happened to pass somepony who did not attend, they would stand by and cast a silent gaze at the passing coffin. All the while, the crimson cape remained in place much like a flag adorning the coffin of a fallen hero of legend like in so many fantasy novels of chivalry… It only served to compound the heavy sense of loss that hung in the air like an omnipresent miasma. Every once in a rare moment, I would catch my brother briefly glance to his right at the coffin. I could see him actually trying to not show any tears.

I am not even certain how much time passed. I mind was just swimming with so many thoughts… But before I knew it, we had arrived at Ponyville’s cemetery. Since the town has not even been around for a full century, it is not terribly spacious at this time. Although I very rarely ever pass by it. A wrought iron fence with a limestone brick base surrounds it. So many tombstones and grave markers lined the ground. But we did not get far before we stopped at the most recent addition to the field of stones.

The crowd around us began to spread out and surround the freshly dug grave. I attempted to get a look at the tombstone, but my view was obstructed by the coffin as my brother and his men secured it over a metal frame that would lower it into the ground. The crowd fell silent as Shining Armor and his men turned to face the coffin at the four corners with heads held high, standing at attention as Princess Luna stood at the end opposite the tombstone.

She looked pained, as she should have been. I was amazed she was even attempting to speak. But it could not end on a silent note. At least, the Princess of the Night bowed her head and spoke with tears beginning to flow. “Bearer of Humanity… Heart of doves, soul of love… Rest now, forevermore.”

It was brief…but filled with powerful meaning. James was…her dearest friend. And she knew him better than most. It was all that needed to be said. At those words, Shining Armor, Estoc, Fuller, and Lance swiftly raised a hoof to their foreheads with their heads held high, giving a prolonged salute to our fallen friend as the coffin began to slowly descend into its grave.

However, a voice from nearby began to speak up quietly while a tone of panic was starting to set in. “No… They can’t do that… They can’t do that to him!”

Scootaloo. She was starting to push her way through the crowd towards the coffin. “Outta my way! Don’t bury him! That’s my big brother in there!”

She could not accept it… The little pegasus was getting close to the coffin with only a few more rows of ponies barring her way. And yet, I could not bring myself to stop her. Fortunately, Rainbow Dash spoke up before rushing forward. “I got her…”

I watched as my friend flew over the mourners and dived down to snatched Scootaloo up by the back of her neck. But of course, she did not take it well. “Hey! No, lemme go! He’s still alive! I know he is! James, get outta there! Come out!”

Scootaloo began to shriek and call out in tears before Rainbow Dash turned and flew towards the edge of the cemetery with her in tow. I wish there was something that could be done… But it is up to Scootaloo to come to terms with what she has lost…

The mourners began to disperse and head towards the edge of the cemetery the further the coffin was lowered into the ground. My brother and his men never once budged, though I could see a tear or two trickling down Shining Armor’s cheeks. And once the coffin had been lowered from view, I saw it. The tombstone that stood behind it.

It was polished granite, a faint sheen showing its craftsmanship and quality. And displayed prominently in the center was a form I recognized all too well. His cutie mark. The form of two doves face-to-face with talons locked and wings spread, forming the shape of a heart between them. It was likely a type of white stone embedded into the granite before the final polish was applied. Above and below, words had been carved in.

Here lies James. Heart of a dove, friend of Equestria.

It was beautiful…yet simple. It felt fitting. In the end, my friends, myself, my brother and his men, Cadence, and the three princesses were the only ones who remained. When my brother lowered his hoof, the other three royal guardsmen mirrored his movements. It was then that their stone faced expressions softened to show the underlying sadness.

There were no words. There was nothing that could be said. We all came together in varying forms of displaying comfort. Tender embraces, a gentle caress, to name a few. In the end, we all bid one last silent farewell to the open grave. If nothing else, I felt a sense of closure. We did all that we could to give him the best farewell possible.

Our next destination was the town hall. The interior was being used to provide refreshments and a warm meal to those who paid their respects. The food was prepared by Mr. and Mrs. Cake, but did not consist exclusively of pastries and the like. It was all good and I was rather hungry. My friends and I stayed close together and sat at the same table. We talked and even smiled a little bit. It was a bit…calming to talk about better days, remembering some of our best memories of our friend… But that little pain in my heart never faded.

Even so, not everypony inside the town hall was smiling. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were constantly comforting a heartbroken Nightmare Moon, Pinkie Pie still seemed…unstable as that is the only term I can use to describe her, Fluttershy was still dreadfully silent and listless, and… Trixie. She was at a far table; head buried in her arm while several bottles of hard cider were piled around her. Drowning her sorrows…

After some time, I began to notice that it seemed somepony was missing. I saw Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle at a table with Spike, silver Spoon, Diamond Tiara, and Button Mash, but… I was noticing the lack of a certain pegasus filly. Scootaloo was nowhere to be seen. And yet, I somehow knew in my gut where she likely was.

I slipped away from my friends and left the town hall after claiming I needed to use the nearest restroom. But that is not where I went. I headed straight for the cemetery. It took me a moment, but I located the tombstone that had just been added. The metal frame used for lowering the coffin had been removed and the grave had been filled with soft soil. And right on top of that soil was exactly who I was looking for.

Scootaloo was digging and pushing at the soft ground while constantly speaking in a panicked and shaky voice. She was trying to dig him up… “Hang on… I know you’re still alive in there… You can’t die… Rainbow Dash said you’d all come home soon…”

I had no idea what to do. I could only stand silently and watch. She was desperate… James was the only family she ever knew. As the minutes went by, her futile digging began to slow. “Why… This isn’t funny anymore… You didn’t die… They wouldn’t do all this if…”

Tears were falling. Scootaloo’s eyes showed utter shock and horror mixed in with deep sorrow. She was starting to understand what had happened. Finally, she ceased digging and began to lift and bow her head while tiny whimpers that may have been gibbering words squeaked out of her mouth. She crawled through the dirt as I felt something touch my ear.

Rain. A rainstorm was beginning to pour down. But I never looked away from Scootaloo. She gazed at the tombstone before her in silence before suddenly burying her face in her arms. I only heard one word come from her. And that one word broke my heart. “Daddy…”

What have we done to this child… As the rain began to soak the cemetery, the only other sound I heard was Scootaloo’s wails. My own vision became clouded with tears. I could not bring myself to approach Scootaloo to comfort her with my heart filled with shame. I turned and ran.

It hurts too much to write anything else… He is truly gone now… What are we going to do? What can we do? For once… I do not have an answer. I feel so lost… Someone… Anyone, please tell me what we should do…

Comments ( 62 )

So emotional a masterpiece of a emotional play with words I found myself crying and I hardly ever cry but it's so tragic but so loving and the music added to the stories presence it'a a very emotional piece that many would read just to have a loving story of tragedy but the love felt in it and sadness with grief A master piece chapter. I hope you have a great day Humanity and I look forward to the next chapter of the lost element and next years update for this story.

So just to be clear, The Lost Element will be on hiatus along with The Price of Failure?

5472539 No. The Lost Element is my top priority for the rest of the year.

...I have nothing to say. This... This was emotional torture...
Wow... That was probably the saddest thing I've ever seen...
It's never easy when a true hero dies...
"Dang..."
I just wish we could do something, dammit! This feeling of helplessness... It sucks...

5472727 If I may ask, what section proved the most torturous to read?

5472734 The whole story, honestly. Like I said, the worst feeling possible for me is the feeling of helplessness, and that pervaded throughout. The CMC scene was probably the saddest part, though.

sadness that is all I can say

God this is probably the most depressing one yet of the series. First NM shooting out and shouting towards Discord, and then Scoots trying to dig out James. Jesus please help them!

I can honestly say that this is the most emotional story I have ever had the honour of reading. You did a great job writing this brilliant piece of literature.
And James... I really like his character. And I totally agree with Lyra; If everyone were more like him, the world would be a better place.
I don't really like to think that James is gone. I like to think that even though he is no longer with us... he is all around us.
R.I.P, James.

To return from death, a feat written in religious texts and fiction. A feat that no mortal can reproduce and yet all seek it on some level. Regardless, I loved the sorrow this chapter instilled in me. Scoot's last words... Haunting doesn't even begin to describe it. Well done. I look forward to the rest of your works in time.

5473895 I know it's been a while, but what relevance does this song have to this chapter?

5562148 I thought it fitted in with the ending of the chapter at the time.

Oh Danny boy, The Lights, the Lights are calling...

Dem FEELS!

it has ben 2 days since I finished this chapter I am not sure how I missed it for this long but any way, it has taken me 2 day to find a way to post this.
this chapter is just so emotionally charged yes I was crying in several places this is a true work of art a real masterpiece and then you totally tore my hart out of my chest with the last part with scootaloo one word did me in totally "DADDY"
this is the kind of chapter that this pony will remember the rest of my life.
:heart:
Harts Fire

5472734 OMG. This made me bawl like a newborn infant! Especially due to me experiencing these emotions firsthand when my Nan died in 2009... *chokes up* PLEASE LET IT BE A HAPPY ENDING!!!!! :fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::applecry:

It is with a truly unknown source of will that I manage to compose myself with in order to type out this response. You....you sir....are both a true artist, and an incorrigible bastard. These sixteen chapters, these fifty six thousand two hundred and thirty one words.....they are truly a literary masterpiece. From the heart wrenching wail of rainbow dash as she holds her beloved as his life fades from his eyes, to the descent of pinkie pies ever present madness, to this final current chapter....it all works. It draws out such unbridled sorrow from even the coldest of hearts. Like a great rain falling down upon the land, bringing shadows and a cold, dreary sorrow, that one word from a forlorn child. "....daddy." breaks the dam and the sorrow flows....my good author, you have my utmost respect, and from now until your mind no longer is able to produce such glorious heartache, I patiently, yet eagerly, await any and all updates this may recieve.

6128468 It is an honor and a pleasure to receive such thorough and well worded praise. It is what keeps me going and I appreciate it.

How far into The Lost Element do I need to get before I'm where this story starts?

6145295 the chapter titled Mortal Chaos.

6147878 Holy crap, I have a long way to go. Thank you

6128559 Good choice of music,though it could've been better if music such as Amazing Grace was used. Also, when will the next update be?

6325798 Not certain. I have to be in a very specific mood to write for this one.

This chapter.....so many feelings. :raritycry:

Rest In Peace. (╥﹏╥)

I dunno...after I first few chapters I feel like...there should be warning...like not for weak-hearted?
very good job in passing on the emotions...I wish you were not that good when writing this... :raritycry:

I've read the lost Element and that was one of the best reads ever. But Seeing a alternative 'ending' has made me have some serious feels. There a very few stories that can actually make me shed at least a tear and fewer that can make me cry. You sir have made a story that actually made me cry.
media.giphy.com/media/nnnwOSZYM3WXC/giphy.gif
new1.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/4014307+_7a60c1d881db51f2684bec1a2da0153c.gif

I absolutely love love The Lost Element, and I also really love this too. The Lost Element is by far the best thing I have ever read in my life. I positively loved the chapter Kindred Suns, (or at least that's what I remember what the name was) I loved how James spent the entire day bonding with Celestia. Keep up the great work. I also wanted to ask if there could be a chapter where James spends the day with Mita, or at least spends a good amount of time with her, because ever since Luna lifted her curse, Mita and James haven't spent much time together.

6581845 That is honestly a part of the story I have been lamenting for a while. The tragic thing about Mitta is that once she was removed from the concept she had long been associated with, she stopped being as interesting. She still has one more moment to really shine in the sixth volume, but she has sadly become more or less of a background character by now as I am uncertain what else to do with her. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas to throw my way, I'll see what I can do.

6582008 You would think that since James saved Mita from being eternally stuck in a hell hole, that they would be better friends and do more things together. But, I guess I see what you mean, she is more of a background character than anything really. I really liked her though.

6582032 Well, the next Nightmare Night should be coming up soon. Perhaps that could provide ample opportunity.

6582080 That would be a great opportunity. And how many total chapters do you think that The Lost Element will have? Because I think that there will be quite a bit more since you haven't even brought up anything about Chrysalis (I think that's how you spell her name).

6582095 No idea, although I suspect it just might reach the triple digits.

6582159 Well, I'm more than fine with that, the more chapters, the longer the story, the longer the story, the more to read. And just can't get enough of it.

WHEN WILL THIS BE CONTINUED!?!:raritydespair:

6881618 Not certain. I need to be in a certain mood to write this.

6883617 Really sad for better writing or really happy to keep from getting depressed?

6884181 I'm a generally happy person, so I have to be feeling pretty melancholy to write something like this.

6582159 hope not..... I read one that was 200 chapters long!!!

6894660 You don't have to keep replying to every other comment, you know.

6894673 sorry my friend! I suffer with ADHD and Aspergers Syndrome,thus making me think this is an actual conversation.
Again, my apologies!:twilightblush:

PS. May I download a copy so I can read/continue this in my own spare time If... that's okay with you? *meep*:fluttershysad

6894709 Nothing's stopping you. The option is there.

Damn dude you really know how to screw with emotion I think you nearly got me

I have no idea what to say, as someone that knows the pain of loss as a child this just brought out some feelings I have not felt in years. You are such a good writer and I look forward to reading more of your work, your writings is honestly in my point of view the best I have read. I hope you keep writing for years to come, I know so long as you do I will keep reading your stories.

Will time travel be involved? Doctor Who stuff? I like those kind of stories. And I cried at the end. :fluttercry:
Richie: If only I were present in this world.

7960776 With what little I can give you...

Things will get worse before they get better.

7960961 Oh man... Ironic though I was reading this when I got the notification for the original. It was kinda hard to switch back, but iI managed.
Richie: Sounds like someone's either gonna go insane, or try to off themselves. You still gonna name the kid Gladesong?

7960961
I feel the best thing to do here would be to level out the sense of dread here with an equal amount of dread, so I'm just gonna just leave this here...

IS THIS STORY DEAD?:pinkiesad2:

9096469
No. Just on hold.

9096496
Any idea when this'll be updated?

Login or register to comment