• Published 25th Aug 2014
  • 5,543 Views, 197 Comments

The Price of Failure - Humanity



What lengths would you go to in order to undo the worst mistake of your life?

  • ...
35
 197
 5,543

Chapter 13

Man, what a night… My head hurt when I woke up in the morning. How much did I drink last night? I had one hay of a hangover when I woke up. But why did I drink so much last… Oh… Right.

It only took me one look in the mirror to be reminded. My eyes were bloodshot and my cheeks stained from tears. I cried myself to sleep again last night. Just like the previous night. And the night before…

I felt too tired to cry, but I felt too awake to go back to bed. Just… Darn it! Why’d this have to happen?! I loved you, you idiot! Why’d you have to pick Fluttershy?! If you stuck with me, I would’ve always been there for you! Why didn’t you ask me to be your mare… No… We were the idiots… We didn’t keep our promise and…

…I just can’t let it go. I needed to get outta there. Get some fresh air. So I went out for a little flight. But my head was hurting too much to really see straight. What did Twilight say that one time? The best way to prevent a hangover is… To stay hydrated or something?

Well, I got to Ponyville no problem. But when I was passing by Rarity’s place, I noticed something down there on the tree outside her house. I stopped and flew by again and saw it one more time. When the sun hit it just right, something would shine.

I flew down there and took a closer look. It was…a bracelet hanging by a little branch. And didn’t I see that somewhere before? It was all silver with a line of opals around… Wait a second. Wasn’t that the bracelet James got Rarity way back when? Why was it outside? A really good way to get it tarnished.

I decided to give it back to Rarity, so I grabbed it and hung it on my wing before landing outside her door. Something really weird must’ve happened for it to be out there. So I rang the doorbell and waited. Didn’t take long to get a response. The door creaked open and there Rarity was. But her mane looked a bit frazzled. That’s how you know she’s stressed out.

“Oh… Good morning, Rainbow Dash. Can I help you?” Looked like she had been crying too. So I walked inside while she let me in.

“Uh… Not really. I’m just dropping something off. I found this hanging outside your place.” I said while I extended my wing to show the bracelet. “This is yours, right?”

The weird thing is she cringed as soon as she saw it. “No… Please, get that away from me… I don’t deserve it.”

“Don’t deserve… What’re you talking about? He got this for you outta the kindness of his heart, right? Doesn’t that mean it’s important to you?” I’ve never known Rarity to turn down any jewelry, especially from a guy she totally has the hots for.

She started crying right away. “You know what I did! I hurt him just as much as Fluttershy did, if not more! I never even took into consideration the bracelet around my ankle! He gave me his love and I threw him away! I don’t deserve such a precious gift!”

Always has to be dramatic… Well, that didn’t sit well with me. I reached out and slapped her across the face with my wing. Didn’t hit too hard since it was all feathers, but it got her to shut up. “Rarity… It isn’t like me to get sentimental about stuff, but… Listen, all right?”

All she did was nod. She was shaken up, but she was listening. I don’t blame her for being so hurt. I know I am too, but I’m just hiding it better. I can totally see her and James making a really nice couple. They would’ve had some gorgeous kids too. “Don’t say you don’t deserve this, all right? You loved the guy, right? And I know you were precious to him too. Hay, I know if you two got together, you’d probably ride him every night like a bull!”

I know she wanted to say something to that last line, but she was too upset to really say anything. So I went on. “Rarity… I know you hurt him. But let’s all be honest here. That wasn’t really you. Discord… He made you do that. Under all that he did to make you act like…whatever you were, you still loved James. And you’re still the mare he loved. The mare he got this for, right?” I then held out the bracelet out to her. “So… You should keep this. He’d want you to have this anyway, right?”

It took a few seconds, but she grabbed the thing with her levitation magic and looked at it a bit more closely. “He… You’re right… He would want me to keep this…”

She unclipped the thing to let it open and then closed the bracelet over her right ankle. “I just could not see through my guilt… Thank you for returning this to me, Rainbow Dash… I will never part with it again.”

“Hey, no problem… Now… Sorry to cut this visit short, but I need to get going. I gotta head over to Twilight’s place to find a cure for this hangover.” I then started to head out the door, but Rarity caught up to me.

“Hangover?! How’d you get that? You’re not one to drink, Rainbow!” No wonder she was so surprised. I get clumsy with my flying when I’m drunk.

Well, I looked back at her while rubbing my head. I’m telling you, hangovers suck. “Well, how else am I gonna loosen myself up enough to cry without caring about my reputation?”

Darn it, my head hurts… I better stop here. I think I’ll just cry myself to sleep again tonight… Just… Why, James…? If you dumped her and went with me instead, we’d be living the good life right now…