• Published 28th Jul 2014
  • 1,155 Views, 58 Comments

Et Deficiens In Nobis - Silver Melodies



The mane six have been through a lot together, and they've saved Equestria many times, yet Twilight doesn'ty feel like she truely knows her friends. She feels like they're hiding something. And she's not the only one who feels thi

  • ...
4
 58
 1,155

Lies

Twilight didn't know what to do. She knew Rainbow Dash was hiding something, especially after their most recent encounter. The way Rainbow had backed out, urgently and hastily. It wasn't just that one day either. There had been several instances where not only Rainbow Dash but the rest of her friends had backed out of a conversation or left in hurry without saying why or after coming up with lame excuses.

~O~O~O~O~O~

Applejack had finished hauling her cart of apples to her apple stand, ready to sell the whole lot of them away. Her family needed the money, and with winter approaching, they were running out of time. Twilight was wandering through the busy market when she spotted her friend's stall among the many there. and decided to say hello.

"Hey Applejack." Twilight said. "How's the farm doing?"

Applejack picked up an apple and handed it to the unicorn. "Oh, it's all doin fine. Jus a little short on money is all."

Twilight gladly took the apple, biting into it with a bit of haste, as she was hungry, having not eaten all day long. "Mmm." She swallowed her bite before proceeding. "And how's Apple Bloom? She's doing better in her studies."

"Oh, she's jus busy doin other things." Applejack took a small stack of bits from a customer in exchange for a bag of apples

"Oh? She has seems a bit distracted to me. What has she been doing?"

Applejack's eyes widened for a second, seemingly shocked at the question. "Uh... she's doin, uh... farm work, of course. Yep, that's what she's doin!"

Calling Applejack a good liar would be like calling Discord the Element of Harmony. If her stuttering and rushed voice wasn't enough conviction, Applejack eye's darted back and forth, like they always did when she lied. Twilight leaned in closer.

"Applejack." Twilight set her apple down. "Why are you lying to me?"

"Ah'm not." Applejack stomped her hoof. "Now staph askin questions, ya hear?"

~O~O~O~O~O~

Twilight trotted down the street with a bit more speed in her movement. She had some questions for a certain ground bound Pegasus, and she wanted answers. No more hiding, no wondering, no more mystery. Twilight's friends were hiding something, and she needed to figure out just what it was.

With her goal set in mind, she determined not to return to her home until she got at least one answer out of them. If she was lucky, she'd get at least an idea of what was going on, something she could look into and study. Maybe even a mystery. That'd would be fun! She'd read many books about mysteries and detectives and knew just what to do. All she needed was clue, a lead, a little line to grasp onto.

Seeing as how Rarity was currently at the spa with Fluttershy, it wouldn't be nice to barge in and question her out in public. After all, the secret could be dark or personal... or both! Rainbow Dash was working, so she was out of the question. Pinkie Pie was a little crazy, and Twilight wasn't sure she'd get any credible information out of her. That left the one and only Applejack. She should be able to wrangle information out of her easily enough, given how terrible a liar the farm pony was.

The sun had reached its highest peak when Twilight arrived at her destination. Putting on a determined glare, she stomped up to the door and gave it a firm rap. After waiting for a minute, she gave it another knock, then another. Still no answer. This time she pounded on the door several times. Maybe they were all upstairs and couldn't hear her?

Just as she was about to pound on the door again, it swung open rather quickly, almost causing her to swing at the air. She looked down to see Apple Bloom standing there, a frown on her face. Her hair was a bit disheveled, and her eyes drooped.

She finished mumbling before addressing Twilight. "...never get any rest. Oh, hey Twilight." She looked up at her intruder with tired eyes. "Ah was jus takin a nap, you can come in, Ah guess."

Twilight stepped inside and took a quick look around. "Is Applejack here?"

Apple Bloom yawned. "Nope, she's off sellin apples ta ponies in different towns." The filly plopped down on the couch. "Ah'm home alone, and Ah finished ma chores, and Ah was gettin some rest when ya came bangin... Ah mean, knockin on the door."

Twilight could easily detect the anger in Apple Bloom's voice, but she realized what a perfect opportunity this was to finally question Apple Bloom about what was going on. As a filly, she should easily crack. Granted, is was a bit underhanded and a little mean, but she was done with living in the dark. She had to know, and she would know, through any means.

"Actually, that's good. I need to ask you some questions, and it'll be easier without Applejack around." Twilight sat down opposite of Apple Bloom, who was no looking more or less interested if somewhat confused.

"Okay, like what?"

"Well, I was just curious, because Applejack won't tell me. I noticed you seem a bit distracted with your studies and have even turned in a few late assignments."

Apple Bloom nodded meekly, giving an over exaggerated sigh. "Yeah, Ah'm just so busy these days."

Twilight smiled internally. Score. "Which I was going to ask you about. What are you doing that makes you so busy? Maybe I can help?"

The last part was, of course, a lie. She didn't want to help, she just wanted to know, and she had hoped that throwing that bit in would get the filly to open up.

Apple Bloom nearly reeled in shock at the question before quickly recovering, settling for a small gasp instead, but one easily heard by Twilight. The filly looked around for a minute before staring back at Twilight with a quizzical look. "Uh, why do ya need ta know that?"

Suppressing an eye roll, Twilight answered. "I told you. I want to help, so you can keep getting good grades in your studying."

"Ah'm gettin graded? Ah thought it was like a private tutor...er...y thingy." Apple Bloom seemed even more confused. "Where do ya enter our grades, anyway?"

Sensing the filly was about to chase the rabbit, Twilight tried to refocus the subject. "Listen, you do get graded, and I don't want to see you fail, so..."

"Ah don't get it. Here Ah though we were, well, special or somethin, an then ya tell me Ah'm gettin graded? What kind a cool school grades ya?!" The filly threw her hooves up for emphasis.

"Apple Bloom, I..."

"Ah guess Applejack's gonna be upset now. Seein as how Ah'm gettin graded, Ah'm probably gonna find out Ah'm failin next, an she'll be mad at me!"

Twilight tired to intervene. "No, no, you're not failing, you're just..."

Apple Bloom looked on the verge of tears. "Do ya know what she can do when she's mad? She'll lock me up, throw away the key to ma room, board up the windows, chain me to ma bed..."

Twilight was beginning to think this was bad idea, and tried to excuse herself from the house. "um, well, I gotta, uh... go read a book, yep!"

"Okay, you go read a book! Ah'll just sit her and fail ma grades! Applejack will be so upset!" The filly let out an exasperated moan mixed with a cry as Twilight excused herself, quickly shutting the door and leaving the farm at a brisk pace.

"Well..." Twilight glanced back to the farm. "Seems like that was a bad idea. Next time, I'll press a pony who doesn't break down like that." She just hoped she hadn't hurt the poor filly.

Now she didn't know what to do. She had no other friends to turn to today, and she had nothing on her to-do list. Her whole day was empty and she couldn't do anything. She had no way of finding out what she needed to know.

She stopped suddenly, standing between the opening of the fence surrounding Sweet Apple Acres as a devious grin spread across her face. A plan began to form in her mind, and soon, she had all the details worked out. If she couldn't talk to them, maybe she could spy on them! Rarity and Fluttershy would be at the spa for several hours more, so she could just sneak in and listen! They might unknowingly spill some information she needed to know!

With her plan in mind, she set her sights on the spa, and more specifically, those inside it. She would find out something today, and she wouldn't stop until she did, even if it killed her.

Which hopefully, it would not.

Author's Note:

Whoa, been a while since I updated this, so here's the next chapter! See, I'm not dead, and neither is this story!

I just have writer's block, you know? It's a hard thing to break.

Comments ( 49 )

Woohoo! I'm glad to see this updating again.:twilightsmile: I like the way this is going, except for one thing. Twilight seems to be slightly out of character. She wouldn't just leave Apple Bloom like that. She would try to reassure her or slmething. But she wouldn't leave her! Also, if Apple Bloom is failing, she's want to help, not be a powerful bystander. That's not something she would do. She would want to know so that she could help.

That's really the only problem I could find, though, and I'm really excited to read the rest of the story.

(This was meant to be on Chapter 3, but something is off with somethig, cause it won't let me.)

5028113 Hmm, I see your point, but I'm coming from the side of, Twilight is tired and not ready to deal with this s**t. She was surprised, worried, but just not in the mood.

Glad you like it!

5028119 Okay then, but you could probably make that a bit more clear in the story itself.

5028134 Well, I thought I'd made it plenty clear, but okay, I'll do that in the future.

wow, way to be sympathetic, twilight. you make a little filly cry, and then just leave her all alone? when did you become so heartless?

5028168 Or it could just be me being stupid again. That's always a possibility-- one I had not considered this time, therefore proving it. So, now that I think about it, you would be well off just ignoring that until someone else agrees with me. Sorry.

5028290 Ah, seems I made a mistake.

I was just thinking in the mind set of, "I'm too tired for this, I don't want to deal with a filly, I have more important things to do, etc."

5028291 No, you're not stupid. Stop saying that.

5028375 Yeah... I might have to edit that part. :twilightblush:

5028385 You're not. I'd be able to tell if you were stupid.

5028394 Uh huh. And how would you do that? Besides, I can be stupid at quite a few things. There is stuff I just won't get. There is stuff I'll never pick up on. Stuff I will never know.

5028383 i mean, i get that she was tired and felt that she had somewhere she needed to be, but i don't think that twilight would just blow off a little filly that was having a mental breakdown. especially if she was the cause of it.

5028395 So? If that's your definition of stupid, then I'm stupid too.

5028398 She could see that the filly was a little bit... over exaggerating. I put a few parts in there where it said Apple Bloom was blowing things out of proportion. I should add a little more, probably.

5028404 No, a lot of stuff. I can justificably call myself call myself stupid. Either way, my math scores are just proof of that. I lowered my score too much with nothing but stupid mistakes that a kindergartener wouldn't make.

5028435 I'm supposed to be in twelfth grade and I'm having to retake basic algebra because I failed it.

5028460 So? Different minds think differently. These are just stupid mistakes that I'm making.

5028499 You think I'm not making stupid mistakes? I'm starting to fail math because I don't turn in homework because I'm too stupid to remember it.

5028525 You can't always control memory.

5028525
5028499

Now both of you just shut up! :flutterrage: You're both wonderful human beings with wonderful things that make you important despite your flaws! :pinkiesad2:

5028550 I know. I suffer from short term memory loss (not as extreme as some, but still)

5028552 Aww, why thank you! :twilightsmile:

5028563 So how is that your fault?




5028552 Important is subjective.

5028579 I don't believe that. You matter to someone. :rainbowdetermined2:

Comment posted by Unbridled Dolly deleted Sep 20th, 2014

5028587 You disagree with him? You think you don't matter to anyone?

Comment posted by Unbridled Dolly deleted Sep 20th, 2014

5028598 Well I don't very much appreciate it. I spend my time, every day I can, trying to make sure you're okay. Even if it doesn't work, at least I try, and here you are, being sarcastic about it. Thanks. Glad to know my friendship means something to you.

Comment posted by Unbridled Dolly deleted Sep 20th, 2014

5028644 Stop. Okay? Stop, now. I'm not doing this. When you feel like not toying with me and messing with my emotions, then we can talk. If you comment one more stupid thing here, I will ban you, okay? I'm not dealing with this. I'm having enough trouble in my life without my own friend trying to screw with my emotions.

5028598 Hey, no matter what anyone tells ya, if there is no one else on earth that cares, the freaking Creator of the Universe cares for you and loves you, so much so that He sent His only Son to die for ya, so you don 't feel like you're worthless.

And if ya don't believe that, then, well, gosh dangit, I care! :rainbowdetermined2: I know for a fact that you are an awesome person!

And so does 5028607! There are people who think you're important!

5028671 Oh cool! Yousa be a christian?

Unfortunatly, she is not.

5028671 I'm an Aethiest Jew, I don't believe in Jesus. And, again, I never said whether that was sarcasm or not. That is up to anyone to interpret how they want.




5028666 And that is what I meant that whole long while ago when I said, "I can be cruel at times." Sorry. It slips out sometimes, whether in real life or not. I won't toy with your emotions. I'll do my best to prevent it. And I'll even go back and delete my previous comments about it. Alright? (Sarcasm unintended)

5028666 Hey, whatever you do, don't give up caring. I don't know your personal struggles, but I do know that if you give up, darkness and depression win. I have personally decided to stick around to be an encouragement to both of ya, but you can't quit! :rainbowdetermined2:

5028699 At any rate, just don't tell yourself that you're stupid and unimportant, because you're not. :pinkiesad2:

5028713 It's easy to convince oneself otherwise at times.

5028720 I know. The brain is a VERY powerful thing.

But sometimes, you just gotta fight what your brain is telling you. It's hard. Seemingly impossible, even. It's in times like those where ya gotta focus on the people who are trying to help.

There is no 'just getting over it' and people who say crap like that are stupid, but building self-esteem can be done, even if you just take small steps.

5028749 I've never managed to fight back against something like this. I seriously doubt that I'll start now, and I'd prefer not to get my hopes crushed by reality.

5028699 Okay...

5028704 I won't ever stop caring. But I can't be there 100% of the time... and I can't last forever. Everyone has their limits.

Thank you.

5028758 I'm sorry. I'll try not to do it again.

5028758 Well, now you're not alone. :rainbowdetermined2:

5043166 Not to fear, more is on the way! (as soon as I can find time to write)

5044489 eeyup! Know how u feel.

Login or register to comment