• Published 28th Jul 2014
  • 1,155 Views, 58 Comments

Et Deficiens In Nobis - Silver Melodies



The mane six have been through a lot together, and they've saved Equestria many times, yet Twilight doesn'ty feel like she truely knows her friends. She feels like they're hiding something. And she's not the only one who feels thi

  • ...
4
 58
 1,155

Clouds

If anyone would have asked Rainbow Dash what the most important job was in Equestria, she would have answered being a weather pony. Not because she was vain, but because it was true. Without them, there would be no rain for the earth ponies crops, there would be no clouds for the rain, there would be random and often times dangerous weather. No rainbows, no sunny skies, no cool afternoon breeze. There would be no clouds to decorate the sky with flecks of white.

But behind that answer was a lie. Rainbow Dash knew what the most important job was. it wasn't one most, or really any, ponies knew of, but it was more important then anypony could ever imagine. Then again, it wasn't really a job, but more of a responsibility. Still, it was something not to be taken lightly to those entrusted with, or rather handed, the task.

The sky was empty as Rainbow glided through the sky, having been cleared during her shift not an hour earlier. She felt a sense of satisfaction having completed her job and finished work for the day. Now she could spend the remaining hours of daylight doing whatever she wanted. She had nothing on her agenda, so she decided to lazily cruise around Ponyville while she tried to think of something fun to do.

She passed over Sugar Cube Corner. The idea of pulling off a few pranks with everypony's favorite party pony crossed her mind, but she pushed it to the side. She didn't really feel like pranking today. She was more in a relaxing mood, given how tired she was, both from her job and the day before.

With a small sigh she arced her path towards the Golden Oaks Library. Maybe Twilight had a nice book to read. While Rainbow immensely enjoyed the Daring Do series, she also enjoyed other books as well. Of course, she didn't tell anypony. She didn't want her friends thinking she was an egghead.

With one swift motion she dropped out of the sky and landed in front of the library. The place looked like it always did. Big, brown tree, deep green leaves, clean windows, lamps hanging from branches. It was very serene. Rainbow almost wished she lived here. Despite being awesome and having a love for danger, she still had a taste for peacefulness. She didn't always have to be risking her life in dangerous stunts, or fighting evil with her friends.'

That last thought brought with it a pang of regret. If only Twilight knew. It would make life so much easier. But they had made a promise, taken an oath to never let others in on the secret in order to protect them from danger for as long as possible.

Pushing such thoughts aside, Rainbow Dash knocked on the door before her. She waited several seconds, then knocked again. As she brought her hoof up to knock again, the door swung open and a rather tired looking Twilight greeted her.

"Oh, hi Rainbow Dash. I was just finishing give these three fillies their lessons." She gestured to the fillies she was talking about. Apple Bloom was working with a bunch of vials and beakers and equipment Rainbow didn't know the names of. Sweetie Belle was levitating a pot of flowers, though seemed to be struggling a bit. And finally, Scootaloo was putting together a pile of junk Rainbow assumed was the filly's scooter.

"Would you like to come in?" Twilight stood to the side to allow Rainbow entry.

Scootaloo looked up from her work, a smile taking her face as she saw her favorite mentor and sister. "Hey Rainbow Dash!" She popped a wheel onto an axel. "Why are you here?"

Rainbow Dash chuckled and pointed to her little sister's project as she stepped inside. "Better focus on your work, squirt. you just placed the back wheel on the front axel."

The orange filly looked down in surprise before grunting in frustration as she fixed her mistake,. Sure, it was a small one, and it was probably insignificant, but Scootaloo wanted to be perfect at what she did. Rainbow almost smiled. That filly was so much like her, it was almost crazy. In fact, they were more alike then most ponies knew. They even shared a special secret, one neither of their friends knew of.

Rainbow turned to Twilight, seeing the weariness in her eyes. "You've had a long day, huh?"

Twilight nodded, a slight grimace on her face. "You have no idea."

Leaning in close so only Twilight could hear, Rainbow Dash whispered. "These three?"

Twilight laughed. "Surprisingly, no. These three fillies are advancing very quickly. They almost remind me of me when I was their age."

The cyan pegasus saw the fillies light up at the praise. They each lifted their heads if but for a moment, smiled, then returned to their work.

Twilight shook her head. "No, Princess Celestia asked me to help deal with the Griffon ambassadors. They are demanding more gold in exchange for their rare goods. Celestia of course said no, so now there's a war ready to break to out over nothing more then goods! So I have to try and write some appeasing letters to the Griffon King!" Twilight threw her hooves in the air, releasing an exasperated sigh. "Politics! War over goods? Really?!"

She took a deep breath. "Sorry, Rainbow. I'm just so tired of this." Her expression softened to a smile. "What can I help you with?"

"Well." Rainbow took a look around the library before leaning in again. "I need some books to read."

"But there are no more Daring Do books available right now." Twilight arched her brow.

"I know." Rainbow leaned in closer, whispering once more. "I need something else to read."

"Oooh." Twilight smiled, teasing her friend with a playful boop on the nose. "Look you, you little bookworm.'

Rainbow's eyes flashed open and she took a quick peek to make sure the filly trio behind them hadn't heard. "Twilight!" She said with hushed urgency. "I don't want ponies thinking I'm a book worm! Or worse, and egghead!"

"You say that like it's a bad thing." Twilight feigned a frown, throwing a hoof over her head, much like their friend Rarity did when she was being dramatic. "I'm hurt."

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes, cracking a grin. "Oh come on Twi. Do you have anything for me?"

A smile overtook Twilight's features again. "Actually, yes. I think you might enjoy this book series I just finished reading."

She trotted over to one of her many shelves and pulled out a book with a black binding. She gave a quick look over before returning to Rainbow. She handed over the book with a little giggle.

"This book is very similar to Daring Do, but the series is shorter, and it's set in a more demonic world, as opposed to reality." Twilight touched the cover of the book. "This is the first book, and it's the smallest one, so it should be an easy, quick read to see if you like it."

Rainbow took in the cover. It was very evil looking. A lone mare stood amongst a battlefield. Around lay several dead ponies, whom Rainbow assumed were the ponies friends. Before the mare stood one, lone monster, massive and menacing. It's head was that of a dragon, with the body of a manticore. Drool and blood dripped from it's maw, as it hungrily took in the prize before it. The whole battlefield was a small town, one that seemed to be very primitive. For some reason, it looked very familiar.

"Actually, one of the characters in this series reminds me of you. The exact same personality." Twilight giggled again. "Isn't that funny?"

Rainbow stared at the cover with searching eyes. "What's this story about?" She asked, her eyes not leaving the cover.

"It's a story about a bunch of super ponies, almost like demi-gods, fighting the demons that roam the earth. Of course, only the super ponies can see the demons. The ponies are called Mutants. It's really good."

With a sudden realization, Rainbow knew why the book looked so familiar. Her face tried to form an expression of shock, but she kept it in check. However, a small grimace made it to her lips before she put it away, something Twilight somehow managed to notice.

"Is something wrong Rainbow?" Twilight looked towards her friend with a bit of uncertainty.

"Uh..." Rainbow tore her gaze from the book to look at her friend. "Um..." Twilight leaned in closer, slightly squinting. "N-No... it's just... I-I was... writing a story, yeah. About the same thing. Now I have to start over." She looked back at the cover.

"Oh. I'm sorry Rainbow. This books been around for years. I should have told you so you wouldn't have gone through all that trouble already." Her face scrunched up. "I didn't even know you wrote stories."

"I... was going to surprise you." Rainbow shook her head. "It's fine." She looked up at Twilight. "Well, guess I better go... read this and make sure it's as good as mine was going to be."

"Yeah." Twilight smiled, but there was still a little worry in her face. She seems to be searching for something else. "Are you sure that's all that's wrong?"

Rainbow backed away towards the door, laughing nervously. "Yeah, sure was. Now I really gotta go." She turned to Scootaloo. "See ya squirt!" Then she took off before Twilight could say anything else.

The alicorn was left standing in the library with several very confusing thoughts swirling through her mind. What had just happened? Rainbow was obviously hiding something, but what was it? How would she find out? Would that be an invasion of privacy? Would that be wrong?

She turned to the three fillies. "Guys, you did you see how Rainbow was behaving?"

Scootaloo looked up from her nearly finished scooter. "What?"

A potted plant smashed into the orange fillies head, sending her reeling. Sweetie Belle gasped and cried out. "Oh! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" She rushed over to help her fallen friend.

Apple Bloom stood up in triumph. "Yes! Ah did it!" She presented a little pot to Twilight. "See?"

It was a pot of dirt. No plants, no liquid or anything. "Um." Twilight gave it a good, long look. "What is it?"

Without warning the pot exploded, sending shards of clay every direction, including Twilight's face. She cried out in pain as a large ball of plant formed out of the explosion. It floated for several seconds, then the green of the plant's skin melted away to reveal a mini cloud.

"Well." Apple Bloom huffed. "It was supposed ta be a growth serum."

Twilight nearly cried. This was such a long day.

Author's Note:

Ooh, what's the secret?

I'll never tell, hm hm hm hm.

Y'all probably already figured out the basic idea of where this story is going, but I still won't tell, just in case.