• Published 31st Aug 2014
  • 3,508 Views, 149 Comments

Rarity's Quest to Save Literally Everything - PegasusMesa



Saving the world one day at a time, over and over again.

  • ...
16
 149
 3,508

Not With a Whimper, But a Bang

Darkness engulfed Carousel Boutique in a thick, velvety blanket. Every inch of the living room lay under heavy shadows while outside, dark clouds swirled in the sky. The tree branches whipped around in a wild wind that threatened anyone foolish enough to leave their home. The boutique’s walls shook from the wind’s ferocity.

Inside the shop, something slunk through the murky darkness and made its way towards and then under a couch. Wide, bright-green eyes stared out as the creature shivered in fear. Suddenly, the sound of slow hoof-steps came from somewhere in the boutique, their sharp clacks clearly contrasting with the constant wailing of the wind. The creature’s eyes darted back and forth as the steps grew louder.

“I know you’re in here,” a mare called in a singsong voice right outside of the room. “Come out, come out, wherever you are.” The voice’s source, barely visible in the stifling shadows, slid into the room and dropped something very heavy to the floor before beginning a slow circuit around the room.

The creature under the couch kept its eyes fixed on its pursuer as the pony continued her search. Finally, her steps brought her to the couch, where she stopped momentarily. A sudden flash of lightning nearly blinded the hidden creature and illuminated the room for a brief instant. Only a second later, the accompanying thunder cracked so loudly that the walls shook.

The searcher continued on past the couch. A soft sigh escaped the creature’s mouth as it finally realized safety from the torments that had surely been in store had it been discovered. For the first time ever, it had escaped—

A magical aura grabbed hold and yanked it out, dangling it in mid-air.

“Found you!” the mare cried in delight. The creature yowled and thrashed, but no amount of effort could save it now. “You thought you could get away, didn't you?” The yowling cut off with a loud splash, followed by several seconds of silence as the mare dunked the hapless creature underwater. While the mare’s maniacal cackling filled the building and echoed off of the walls, another bolt of lightning lit everything. Suddenly, the laughter stopped. “Perhaps some light would help. This atmosphere is a bit grim, n’est-ce pas?”

She reached over and flicked a switch, and an electric chandelier in the ceiling burst to life, bathing the room in its bright glow.

“Ah, much better!” Rarity said as she clapped her hooves excitedly.

In the room’s center sat a metal tub, filled with hot, soapy water. It bubbled for a moment before a drenched cat’s head emerged and fixed her with an icy stare.

“Oh, don’t be like that, sweet Opal,” Rarity said. She took up a cloth and zealously scrubbed Opalescence between the ears. “You know that this hurts me far more than it hurts you.”

Opal’s glare promised to make that much come true before the day ended.

Rain began to fall outside, fat, heavy drops that started out few in number but soon increased until they thundered at the boutique’s roof. More lightning flashed. “Another storm,” Rarity mumbled. She squeezed a bottle of shampoo over Opal’s back. “Honestly, what are those pegasi thinking?” Small pieces of hail began to fall along with the rain.

Opal lunged for freedom, getting halfway out of the tub before Rarity pulled her back. However, just as she prepared to attack the grime on Opal’s stomach, the bell over the front door jingled. It was just barely loud enough to be heard over the sound of the storm.

The door blew open to admit a pegasus stallion, who darted inside and out of the weather. Rain and hail blew in after him and immediately soaked the carpet. “Whoa!” he shouted as he strained to shut the door behind him. The wind pushed back, however, preventing him from making any headway. Rarity shot to her hooves, only to halt in place when a voice whispered in her ear.

Help us,” it breathed, eerily close.

Her head whipped around only to find that nobody stood behind her. She caught a fleeting glimpse of Opal’s dripping tail vanishing up the stairs, but that was all. “Is… is somepony there?” she asked, frowning.

“So, uh, you think you might be able to give me a hoof here?” the stallion asked. He had almost gotten the door shut when a particularly powerful gust of wind blew it back open to bang against the wall.

“Oh! My apologies!” Rarity gave one last confused glance behind her before moving over to help. With both of them working together, they forced the door closed. Rarity fought to bring her breathing under control. “Are—are you—alright?” she gasped.

“Just wet,” he answered, lying on his back on the soggy carpet.

Rarity fetched one of the towels meant to dry Opalescence and handed it to the stallion, who rolled upright and accepted it gratefully. “Well, that was certainly exciting,” she said. “Now if I might ask, what brings you to my humble shop in such awful weather?”

Instead of answering, he shook himself dry and rubbed his head vigorously with the towel. “Darn unnatural weather,” he muttered. “Hope it didn’t get the scroll wet.”

Rarity’s ears perked. “Scroll?” For the first time, she noticed that a capped tube was slung across his chest.

“You don’t have anything to drink, do you?” he asked as he threw the wet towel aside.

“Of course! Where are my manners?” She trotted into the kitchen. “Might I offer you a cup of hot tea?”

“Just water’s fine,” he said, stretching his wings and sighing in satisfaction.

Rarity’s head poked back out. “Dear, I would have thought you’d had quite enough water for one day,” she said drily. A moment later, she fully emerged with a pitcher of ice water and a glass in tow. She poured a glass, which the stallion took and greedily slurped at. “I don’t believe I caught your name, Mr…?”

He finished the drink and wiped his mouth on the back of his hoof. “Just a royal courier with a message for a Ms. Rarity,” he said, placing the glass on a nearby wooden table. He uncapped the tube and slid out a parchment scroll.

“Oh, dear,” Rarity said with a sigh. “If it’s from the League of Nobles Against Bovine Immigration, I've already told them that I’m simply not interested in paying—”

“This one’s from a bit higher up,” the courier said. “I speak here on behalf of Her Royal Majesty, Princess Luna.”

Slack-jawed, Rarity dropped to her haunches. “Oh.”

“So, if I may…” He opened the scroll, cleared his throat loudly, and read:

“‘To the Honorable Miss Rarity, Owner of Carousel Boutique, Companion to Princess Twilight Sparkle, and One-Time Bearer of the Element of Generosity,

“‘I bid thee Greetings, and hope that thou findest thyself in Good Health.

“‘My Purpose in writing this Letter to thee is to request thy Services, as they pertain to the Design and Manufacture of Clothing. Regretfully, the Clothier who had been responsible for such things at Castle Canterlot hath seen fit to abandon his Duty in favor of pursuing a career in competitive bird-watching. Thus do I find myself in a Dilemma. I require Suitable Attire for the morrow’s viewing of Bridle’s Comet, but do not have anypony to provide said Suitable Attire. Oft hath Princess Twilight Sparkle praised thine Abilities, so I thusly decided that thou wouldst serve as an Appropriate Replacement.

“‘Enclosed is a list noting my Measurements, as well as a voucher for thy Deserved Compensation. I will grant thee Audience one day hence after Noon so that I may view thy Work.

“‘I thank thee for thy Cooperation and wish thee a Pleasant Day.

“‘Sincerely, Princess Luna, Lady of the Night, She of the Moon, Slayer of the Rock-Gorging Dragon, Creator of the Moonwich’...”

Rarity hadn’t heard a word past “appropriate replacement”. Her jaw hung open as she considered the implications. She cannot be serious! A dress fit for a princess by tomorrow afternoon?

“...‘Shepard of the Stars’,” the courier continued in a monotone, “‘Purveyor of Dreams, Five-Time Annual Equestrian Snowball Fight Champion’…”

There is nothing that says I must take this job, Rarity thought, chewing on her lower lip. But, it would be absolutely awful to let Princess Luna down…

“...‘Las Pegasus Junior Soccer League Participant Ribbon Winner, Conqueror of Prickly Pete’s Five-Yard Hoagie Challenge’...”

She put a hoof to her chin. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to help, just this once. I must make it clear that such short-notice orders are unacceptable in the future, though!

Meanwhile, the courier’s voice droned on. “Rarity, you must help, or else everything is doomed...”

“Very well, I acc—” Rarity paused and frowned. “What?”

“...‘Guest Judge on Equestria’s Got Talent, and She Who Went the Whole Way Around On the Swings Once’.” He coughed softly as he rolled up the scroll. “I’m sorry, is something wrong?” he said when he noticed her expression.

“Would you mind repeating that one part?” Rarity asked, frown deepening.

“You mean about the swings?” The courier chuckled. “I wouldn’t believe it either if I hadn’t seen it with my own two—”

“No, no,” she interrupted. “The part about everything being doomed unless I help.”

Now the courier frowned. “I have no idea what you’re talking about,” he said, tilting his head. “Are you feeling alright?”

“Yes, I—” Rarity paused and swallowed. “My apologies. I must have misheard you over the rain.” Suddenly, she realized that the rain had stopped sometime during the reading of Luna’s letter. “Odd weather, wouldn’t you agree? Anyway, you may tell Princess Luna that I gratefully accept her request, and will see her tomorrow after noon.”

“Right,” he said slowly, holding out a smaller piece of paper which Rarity accepted. “Here are the measurements and other details.” The rolled-up parchment disappeared into its tube. “I’ll inform Her Majesty of your answer.” Without another word, he opened the door and darted out.

“Hmph,” Rarity said, glancing after him. “Some ponies have no manners at all. He could have at least thanked me for my hospitality.” She turned and examined the messy room. “I suppose I should get started now, if I want to finish Princess Luna’s order on time.” As she carried the tub full of now-cold water outside to empty it, her mind wandered back to what the courier had said.

I’m certain I didn’t mishear him, she thought. Back inside, she gathered up the wet towel and empty glass and took them into the kitchen. But why would he say the world is ending? Perhaps it was a joke he likes to play. Yes, that’s probably it. She pranced upstairs to her workroom, where she gathered a number of materials before glancing at the complex instructions Luna had provided. This is going to take a while.

The courier’s odd words forgotten, Rarity focused herself wholly on the task of dressing a princess.



Three hours and two pots of coffee later, Rarity still remained confined to her workroom, slaving over Luna’s order. Her tongue stuck out at an odd angle as her pencil wildly scribbled figures onto a diagram. On a nearby mannequin, something vaguely resembling a dress had begun to come together. Bolts of dark blue and purple cloth draped over each other, with strips of black to provide accent.

Because it was summer, the sun still had yet to set. It spread a peach hue across the western horizon, giving no indication that only a few hours before, the sky had been hidden by a violent storm. Rarity flinched as a ray of sunlight reflected off of a diamond and into her eye.

“Yes,” she murmured. She checked her diagram for a moment before she nodded in satisfaction. “Yes, this looks to be about right.” A pair of scissors, held aloft by her magic, floated over. She glanced at the clock. If I skip dinner and stay up all night, I can be finished by early morning. Then, assuming that I can catch the ten o’clock train to Canterlot—

Rarity, help us,” someone whispered into her ear. Rarity shrieked and spun in place, only to once again find nobody there. She was completely alone.

“This is—this is ridiculous,” she said, holding a hoof to her heaving breast. “Are my nerves really so strained?” She gave her heart a moment to slow before taking the scissors and trotting to the mannequin. “I must remain focused. I must!”

She groaned when she heard the downstairs bell chime.

“Rarity, are you here?” a voice shouted up. “It’s Twilight!”

“I’m in my workshop, dear!” Rarity shouted back, not turning away from her work. She began to cut slowly and precisely. “Come on up!”

Within seconds, the workshop door opened the whole way and Twilight Sparkle walked through. “Rarity, I need to—” She paused and glanced back. “Come on, Meri, it’s alright! She won’t bite you!” Another pony stood out in the corridor, but didn’t enter the room.

“Of course not, dear,” Rarity said distractedly. She continued to cut the fabric.

“As I was saying,” Twilight said, turning back to face Rarity, “I wanted to talk with you for a bit.”

“Of course, dear.” Rarity glanced at her diagram for a moment before she returned to her cutting.

Twilight frowned. “Er… okay. I’m going away for a few days on a research trip, so I just wanted to let all of my friends know.”

“Have fun, dear,” Rarity said with her gaze still fixed on her work.

“Well, it’s more of a practical trip,” Twilight said. “Merigold, here—” She gestured to the pony in the corridor “—is going with me to help out. C’mon in, Meri!” Merigold didn’t respond.

“That’s nice, dear,” Rarity said, taking a quick mouthful of coffee.

Twilight glanced at the coffee mug and made a face. “Are you still drinking that stuff? Isn’t it supposed to be terrible for you?”

That stuff?” For the first time, Rarity looked into Twilight’s face. “Twilight, that stuff is premium Griffonian coffee, hoof-ground by myself and brewed to perfection. Just because most ponies don’t care for it does not mean it is anything short of delightful.” She slowly and purposefully took another sip. “Besides, it helps my focus.”

“Focus with what?” Twilight asked. She pranced over to inspect Rarity’s workbench. “Do you have a big order? I’m not interrupting anything, am I?”

“I hate to act rudely, darling, but I do in fact have a very, very important dress that I must finish as soon as possible.” Rarity frantically scribbled notes onto her diagram. “Princess Luna herself has hired my services, and I simply cannot let her have anything but my very best.”

“Rarity, that’s fantastic!” Twilight gushed, clapping her hooves together.

“Yes, I quite agree,” Rarity said with a light smile. “However, she requires the dress by tomorrow afternoon, and I only just found out about it today.”

“Well, then…” Twilight cleared her throat and turned to the door. “I—I guess I shouldn’t distract you, then.”

Rarity reached out to put a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder. “I do appreciate it, dear. I promise, next time you come by I’ll have the time for you. And if I don’t, I’ll make the time.”

“Thanks,” Twilight said over her shoulder. She walked to the door but stopped before leaving. “Oh, right! One last thing—if any of you girls need me for something really important, I left Spike with Applejack.”

“Understood,” said Rarity, who had already returned to her work. Her eyes remained fixed on the dress’s diagram. “Goodbye, darling.” The door closed, and Rarity glanced up at last to see that she was once more alone. She put a hoof to her chin. “Perhaps I should have offered her something to eat.”

Through the window, the sun touched the horizon.



At long last, with the moon at its zenith, Rarity leaned backwards and examined the result of her toils. Princess Luna’s dress, in all of its majestic glory, adorned its mannequin.

“Hmm…” Rarity glanced at the list that Luna had provided just to make sure that she didn’t miss anything. “This appears to be in order.” On the wall, a clock chimed as the hour hand struck three. “And I do believe that a short nap appears to be in order, as well.” She laid her head on her workbench, closed her eyes, and—

“Has anypony ever told you you’re adorable when you’re sleepy?” asked a voice.

With a shriek, Rarity fell off of her stool and banged her head on the workbench’s edge. “Ow!” she cried, rubbing the injured area. She opened her eyes with the full expectation that she had once again imagined the voice. Thus, it was to her surprise that she found herself looking into a stallion’s frowning expression.

“I guess not,” he answered himself. On his head he wore a bowler hat, which he tipped in her direction.

“Wh-who are you?” Rarity demanded. She pushed herself upright, holding onto the workbench to steady herself. “Why are you in my boutique?”

“Hello to you, too,” he said. He picked up Rarity’s mug of cold coffee and drained it in one swig. “Blech, how do you drink this swill?” He shook his head in disgust.

Rarity’s legs finally stopped shaking. “Sir, I’m going to have to ask you to leave—”

“Relax, I’m here for a good cause.” He threw the mug over his shoulder, and it shattered against the wall. “You can call me Hay Budget.”

“That doesn’t—” Rarity’s voice caught in her throat. “That was my favorite mug, I’ll have you know! And I’m terribly sorry, but what kind of odd name is Hay Budget?

Hay’s eyes narrowed. “The name of a guy that isn’t judging others,” he snarled. “I’ve got something kind of important to tell ya, but if you’re going to be rude—”

I beg your pardon!” Rarity said. “You have the nerve to trespass in my home, break my things, and then accuse me of being rude?” She sighed and rubbed her temples. “Mr. Budget, I am afraid that I must ask you to leave.”

“Now, just hold on a second,” he said, holding a hoof out towards her.

Rarity’s scowl deepened. “Do not make me repeat myself!”

“If you would just listen—

“I will not!” she said. She butted his side and pushed him towards the door. “If you have something to say, then come back in the daylight like a respectable pony!”

Hay stumbled, nearly falling on his face. “I’m trying to tell you that the world’s gonna be destroyed!”

“I said—” His words registered and Rarity quickly stepped away. For a long moment, heavy silence floated between them. “I’m sorry,” she finally said, “but could you repeat—”

“I know I didn’t stutter,” he snapped. He scratched under his bowler hat, and Rarity could see that it hid a unicorn’s horn. “The world is ending. It’s a simple concept.”

“But—I—” Rarity fought to speak clearly. “How do you expect me to believe that? Nopony in their right mind would!”

Hay Budget sighed. “Look, do whatever you want with the information. I came, I saw, I told.” He walked over to the window and glanced out. Rarity noted that he had a limp in his right foreleg.

“This is preposterous,” she said to his back. “The world ending, simply like that? I won't believe that until I see some proof.”

He glanced back at her and smiled widely. "You want proof, eh?" Unnaturally white teeth glinted in the moonlight. “Oh, I think we’re gonna get along real well,” he said in a soft voice. “I gave you the news, and you can do with it as you will. I think I’ll be seeing you again very soon, though.” A chittering laugh burst forth from his lips.

Rarity frowned. “Whatever do you mean by that?”

“Catch ya in the next life,” he said, waving farewell.

“Now hold on,” Rarity said as she reached out—

—and lifted her head from the workbench, where she had dozed off. She blinked dazedly in the sunlight streaming in through window.

“Hay Budget?” she asked, voice thick with fatigue. Nobody else was in the room with her. At the back of the bench, her mug sat half-full with cold coffee. She recalled Hay Budget tossing it over his shoulder and shattering it on the wall. “Just a dream.” She yawned so loudly that her jaw cracked.

Rarity ambled into the hallway and into her washroom, where she planted herself before the mirror. She licked her lips as bleary eyes gazed into the mirror.

Eyes that shot open as soon as she saw the image that stared back.

Her shriek echoed off of the walls and startled a flock of birds into flight from a tree right outside. “No, no, no!” she cried, grabbing her mane and examining it closely. “It’s impossible! It cannot be! It simply cannot!” However, after another moment’s inspection, she fell backwards and put a hoof to her forehead. “It is! Oh, why must these things happen to me? Why me? Why?” The last word came out as a garbled sob.

Hanging down across her forehead, for all the world to see, was a lock of hair, nearly half of which had split-ends.



It was a scowling Rarity that stared out the train’s window as the scenery blew by. The sunny weather had disappeared, replaced by gray clouds that grew darker by the minute. Small sprays of mist fell, but nothing that could be considered stormy. At least, not yet.

I do hope that Twilight didn’t have to travel in the rain, she thought. I should have asked her where she planned to conduct her research. I’ll make certain to show plenty of interest in it next time I see her.

Rarity had ended up sleeping later than she intended to, and just barely caught the ten o’clock to Canterlot. Unfortunately, this had left little time for her to prepare herself, other than stowing Luna’s dress in a garment bag. As for her mane, the most she had managed to achieve was wrapping a scarf around her head in order to hide her shame. She hadn’t even had time to set up an appointment with her hair-dresser, followed by a well-deserved visit to the spa.

Her lips blew a most-unladylike raspberry as she propped her head on a forehoof and tried to stay awake. Coffee, she thought idly. I must find coffee before I meet Luna.

“Is it getting ready to storm again?” a mare from the seat behind Rarity asked. “It was sunny just an hour ago!”

“When is the weather going to settle down?” her stallion companion answered. “You know, I’ve heard that there’s been flooding in Manehatten and Baltimare. I heard Princess Celestia herself went up there to help with relief efforts”

Rarity’s ears pricked up.

“It’s like the weather teams have lost control,” the mare continued. Rarity craned her head so that she could eavesdrop more effectively.

“Rarity,” the stallion said, “if you don’t do something, everything will be gone.”

Her blood chilled as she twisted in her seat and glanced back. “I’m—I’m sorry, but were you talking to me?”

“No, I’m speaking with my wife,” said the stallion, who cocked an eyebrow at her. “Do we know each other?”

“No, of course not,” Rarity said with a nervous laugh. “I’m afraid my head is in the clouds. Please forget that I said anything.” She quickly settled herself back into place.

A chime sounded over the car’s intercom. “Attention, passengers,” a pleasant voice said, “we are approaching Canterlot Station. All disembarking passengers, please be prepared to offload the train. It’s the end of the world unless Rarity does something about it.

“Oh, you must have heard that!” Rarity said, once again turning back to face the couple behind her. “About the end of the world! I’m certain I didn’t imagine it!”

The mare frowned. “I’m sure I do not know what you’re talking about.”

“If you will excuse us,” her husband said, “we need to prepare to get off.” He kept his eyes fixed on Rarity until she glanced away.

This day cannot get any worse, Rarity thought as she gathered her belongings. The train began to slow. I missed my beauty sleep, I had no time to prepare myself, my mane is simply ruined, and now I’m hearing things.

The train rolled into the station and, with one final hiss, came to a complete stop. Rarity shuffled out onto the platform in the midst of a crowd. Canterlot Castle loomed overhead, appearing for all the world as a sentry watching over the entire city. Rarity sighed and went to find a taxi, hopefully before the heavens opened up and proved to her that there was indeed plenty of room for her day to worsen.

By the time she managed to arrange transportation in a particularly rickety carriage, noon had come and gone with nary a tea shop to be found. As the taxi trundled up the hill towards the castle, her head lolled on her shoulders while she fought to maintain consciousness. Fortunately, the cobblestone road was uneven enough that the sudden bumps and drops kept her awake.

At long last, Rarity arrived at Canterlot Castle. She handed twenty bits to the carriage driver and, hefting the garment bag, trotted up to the front gates, which stood open. One of the two sentries standing guard glanced at her.

“Welcome to Canterlot Castle,” he said in a bored tone. “What business do you have here?”

“Oh, well, you see—” Rarity coughed to clear her throat. “My name is Rarity. I believe Princess Luna is expecting me for—”

“Right, the dress-maker,” the other guard said with a knowing expression. “Her Majesty made sure that all of the guards knew you were coming.”

“Is that right?” Rarity said, chuckling nervously. “Well, perhaps you could take me… to see her?”

“Sure,” the first guard said. He turned around and cupped his forehooves around his mouth. “Hey, Piddles! Are you in there?”

The pounding of hooves heralded the arrival of another guard, this one much smaller than the others. His armor didn’t fit nearly as snugly. “Sirs!” he said, snapping a smart salute.

“Newblood, take this refined unicorn up to have audience with Princess Luna,” the first guard said. He waved a hoof in Rarity’s general direction.

“Oh!” Piddles said as he turned his attention to Rarity. “Are you Miss Rarity, then? The dressmaker?”

“Er, yes, I am,” Rarity said uneasily. She shifted her weight from hoof to hoof. “If it’s all the same, I do need to see the princess…”

“Ah! Right!” Piddles spun on his hind legs and marched towards the castle. “This way, please!”

As she followed young Piddles, Rarity’s gaze roamed the walls of the palace. Tapestries hung everywhere. One depicted Luna’s return, while another showed Twilight’s coronation. Rarity recognized a third, which exhibited the marriage of Shining Armor and Princess Cadance. On the bottom of the tapestry, ornate golden letters read, The world is counting on you, Rarity. Next along the wall was—

Rarity shook her head and re-read the words. “When love conquered the darkness,” she mumbled.

In the back of her mind, she heard Hay Budget say, “The world is ending. It’s a simple concept.” She even heard his high-pitched laugh—

Except he isn’t real, she thought firmly. Rarity, you are tired and stressed. Absolutely nothing bad is going to happen. Aside from your mane, of course. Oh, my poor mane—

“Um, Miss Rarity?” Piddles’ nervous tone brought Rarity back to the present. She stood fixed in place in front of the tapestry. “Her Majesty is waiting.”

“I apologize,” Rarity said, falling back into step behind him. “Lead the way.”

The rest of the trek to Luna’s private meeting chambers was less thrilling. Twice, Rarity found herself nodding off, only to stumble and nearly plant her face in the marble floor. Fortunately for her, Piddles was either oblivious to her embarrassment or too much of a gentlecolt to mention it.

At long last they halted in front of an ornate wooden door. “I will now announce you to Her Majesty!” Piddles said. He opened the door, walked in, and threw a salute that clattered against his helm, knocking it askew. “Your Majesty, I present the honorable Miss. Rarity!” His voice echoed on the inside of the turned-around helmet.

Rarity took a deep breath and pranced inside.

She had been expecting an ornate room. Maybe a red carpet, but definitely a throne. Instead, what she saw was a small square table with a lavish meal laid upon it. At the table sat Princess Luna, who immediately straightened on her stool.

“Thank you, guard,” she said as she stood to acknowledge her guest. “You may leave us.”

“Yes, Your Majesty!” Piddles saluted once more, which only spun his helm even further around, and exited the room.

Rarity watched him depart, then turned to the table. “H-hello, Princess Luna,” she said as she fought the urge to yawn, “as you may know, I am Rarity—”

“Yes. Rarity. I do know.” Luna’s jawline firmed and she looked Rarity in the eyes. “Thank you for agreeing to help me, and for coming all this way.”

“It’s truly no problem, Princess,” Rarity said with a slight bow. She stiffened when a rich, familiar aroma drifted under her nose.

“I took the liberty of having this small repast prepared,” Luna said, picking up a mug in front of her and sipping from it delicately. “Normally I sleep at this hour, but I was feeling a bit… peckish. However, if you have already eaten—”

Is that coffee?” Rarity’s gaze had fixed on a steaming ceramic pot at Luna’s elbow.

“Er, yes.” Luna took a deep breath and swayed slightly. “I realize that it likely disgusts you, but it helps me maintain my wits when fatigued.”

“Disgusts me?” Rarity said. She fixed Luna with a confused expression. “Why would it disgust me? Coffee is the greatest thing to come from Griffonia since griffon-feather pillows.”

Luna leaned forward, wide-eyed and smiling. “Truly?” She lifted the pot towards Rarity. “I just assumed. Everypony else I know in the castle detests it. Please, do have some.”

“Thank you,” Rarity said, dropping onto the stool. She filled her mug to the top, then took a deep drink. “Oh, my, that is good.” Warmth blossomed in her stomach and she immediately felt cheerier, even though the caffeine had yet to take effect.

A crooked smile appeared on Luna’s face. “You are the first I have met that thinks so.” She sipped lightly from her own cup. “I convinced my sister to try some a month ago. She accused me of attempting to poison her.”

“Some ponies just cannot recognize quality,” Rarity said. She gasped and raised a hoof to her mouth. “No offense to Princess Celestia, of course. I will admit to not enjoying the flavor at first, but after a little while—”

“—it grows on you!” Luna finished, nodding sagely. Suddenly, a loud rumble ripped through the air.

“What was that?” Rarity asked as she glanced around. “It didn’t quite sound like thunder.”

Luna scratched the back of her head and chuckled softly. “That, ah…” She cleared her throat. “That may have been my stomach.” Another similar rumble bubbled forth. “Please, help yourself to whatever you wish.” Her hoof reached out to snag a plate of eggs.

Despite her hunger pangs, Rarity resisted the urge to gorge herself. It wouldn’t do to make a bad impression on Luna, after all, she thought as she daintily spread jam on a slice of toast. No, slow and steady wins the race.

Apparently, Luna had no such qualms. She piled her plate high with eggs and hay bacon before adding a liberal dousing of maple syrup.

“So, Princess,” Rarity said slowly, cautiously eying Luna’s meal, “have you had a pleasant day so far?” She almost blanched when Luna stuffed two eggs into her mouth and swallowed.

“As pleasant as can be expected,” Luna answered. She took a large swig of coffee. “I have actually been quite looking forward to this.”

“Beg—beg pardon?” Rarity managed to tear her gaze away from a smear of ketchup on Luna’s cheek..

“Not often do I get to enjoy the liberty of having a leisurely meal with somepony else,” Luna said. Already, she had finished all of the eggs and started on the toast. “Nor do I have frequent opportunities to engage in small talk.” She finally noticed Rarity’s expression and frowned. “Is something the matter?”

“No, of course not!” Rarity said through clenched teeth. Her eyes darted back and forth between Luna’s face and a brown splotch of syrup on the tablecloth. “I’m sure that’ll come right out!”

Luna glanced at the mess in front of her and grimaced. “I, ah, suppose it shall.”

A few minutes passed in relative silence. Rarity smiled when she saw that Luna had slowed her pace. “How fares your sister?” she asked at last.

The remainder of the meal passed quickly. Rarity was constantly amazed at Luna’s ability to eat and hold conversation at the same time. The talk drifted back and forth, moving between princessly duties, Manehattan fashions, and life in Ponyville, among other things. Partway through, a violent storm struck, only to blow itself out moments later.

Finally, Luna sat back and sighed in satisfaction. “I hope the food was to your liking,” she said, rubbing her stomach.

“It was delicious,” Rarity said. Her gaze fixed on Luna, and her brow furrowed. “Tell me, Princess—”

“I would prefer if you called me Luna,” Luna said. She sat forward with a groan. “I believe we are acquainted well enough at this point, would you not agree?”

“I could never do that!” Rarity said as her eyes widened. She put a hoof to her mouth. “It wouldn’t be proper! No, that’s simply—” Luna’s scowl cut her off. “Very well, Luna it is.”

The scowl immediately disappeared, replaced by a wide smile. “Wonderful! Now, what was it that you wanted to say?”

“I just wanted to thank you for the delicious meal.” Rarity drained the last of her coffee. “You truly know how to make a mare feel welcome.”

Luna’s eyes lit up. “Honestly?” Rarity nodded. “I am glad to hear it. I had feared that this might have been too much, considering we never truly met before.”

“No, you have done nothing but make me feel welcome,” Rarity said, reaching out and patting Luna’s hoof. “I’ve always been one for grandiose gestures, and this wonderful spread certainly counts.”

“Thank goodness.” Luna sighed loudly. “I did not ruin it.”

“Er, ruin what?” Rarity asked. She tilted her head to the side.

Luna covered her mouth with both hooves. “I, ah—” Her eyes darted from side to side. “I suppose I should tell you. You see, my sister always tells me to interact more with other ponies, so I might have invited you here for… that reason…”

“Oh, don’t be silly,” Rarity said, laughing. “You needed the dress anyway, so I would have had to come here even if you didn’t plan to entertain me! In the end, it all worked out.” When no response came forth, her laughter faded. “You… did need the dress, yes?”

“I maybe already had one available,” Luna said. She poked her forehooves together repeatedly.

For a long moment, Rarity did not move. “So you are telling me that I stayed up all night slaving over my workbench—” A scowl slowly spread across her face “—and got absolutely no sleep just so you could have social interaction?

Luna flinched. “That is not wholly true! I—I have wanted to meet you for a while! Twilight Sparkle always speaks quite well of you and tells me that we would get along splendidly!” Her face fell. “Or, we would get along splendidly had I not completely ignored the burden I placed on you.”

“You—you—” Rarity felt the heat recede from her face. “That—you truly have a lot to learn.” She fell backwards, suddenly drained. “As angry as I am, I cannot help but feel flattered at the effort you put into this just for me. And I must admit that I have wanted to meet the mysterious Princess Luna ever since the other girls met you last Nightmare Night while I handed out candy at home.”

“I expected more anger,” Luna said as she raised her chin. “Honestly, I am not sure why you have not left yet.”

“I suspect it’s because Twilight was right, as she always is,” Rarity said, allowing a tired smile to appear. “I cannot say that I did not enjoy this time—sleep deprivation notwithstanding, of course.”

“Very well!” Rarity shrieked when Luna slammed a hoof down on the table. All of the plates jumped, and one bowl nearly fell to the floor. “I have decided how to express my apologies best. Twilight Sparkle told me of your fondness for high society, so you shall accompany me to tonight’s ball in honor of Bridle’s Comet.”

Rarity’s jaw dropped open. Unconsciously, she brought a hoof up to rub at her frayed mane, still hidden under the scarf.

“Well?” Luna asked, leaning forward. “Will you accept?”

Rarity wanted to ask what she would wear. She wanted to explain how her ruined mane made it impossible for her to appear in public. She wanted to say that she desperately needed sleep, and staying awake in order to view a comet would not do anything to that end. Perhaps all three of those things came together and mingled into her actual response.

What?



“Is this alright?”

“Of course it is.”

“How is my mane? Can you see the split ends?”

“You hid them well.”

Rarity and Luna walked up a spiral staircase, on their way to the ballroom from which the viewing would take place.

“Are you absolutely sure this is alright?” Rarity asked, tugging at her silver dress’s neckline. “I mean, I am grateful for the gift, but—”

They reached the top of the staircase and entered a short hallway. “Of course it is alright,” Luna answered. A pair of guards snapped to attention as the two mares meandered by. “I outgrew that dress long ago, and you have shown me enough generosity to deserve further recompense. Besides, ‘twould be poor form indeed for me to invite you without making certain that you have appropriate attire.”

Rarity poked at her mane to make certain that it remained wrapped around her head. “I suppose this is true. I do have plenty of fashionable wear at home, though, so I couldn’t possibly keep it—”

“It brings out the color in your eyes,” Luna continued. A blush, barely noticeable against her dark coat, appeared on her cheeks.

“I—you—” Rarity’s face heated at the unexpected compliment. “Thank you, Luna. And I am glad that you like your dress.”

Luna glanced down at the purple-and-black number that she wore. “To be frank, I have never seen a better made dress in my entire life.” She struck a pose, then laughed into her hoof.

Rarity quickly looked away from Luna’s leg, which had clearly displayed itself through the slit in her dress. Perhaps I should have used a more conservative design. “Well, again, thank you.”

“Think nothing of it.” They approached a large pair of doors with a guard on either side. The guards bowed and pushed the doors open.

Rarity couldn’t help but gasp as she followed Luna into the massive room beyond.

The entire floor was made up of dark granite tiles that seemed to absorb all traces of light that the blue-flamed torches on the wall emitted. Columns made of crystal stretched all the way to the ceiling, which was composed entirely of glass. On a clear night, all of the heavens could be seen from this hall.

Unfortunately, at that particular moment, thick clouds hung in the sky, preventing what would have otherwise been a majestic panorama. Rarity sighed in disappointment and glanced across the room, where a massive… something, at least twice a normal pony’s height, sat hidden under a cloth. Beside it a small podium had been set up.

“‘Tis unfortunate that nature obscures the view,” Luna noted, directing Rarity’s attention back to the ceiling. She turned and plodded to one of many tables laden with beverages and hors d'oeuvres. “The royal astrologists promised a sight unlike any seen before.”

“What makes this comet so particularly interesting?” Rarity asked, cocking her head.

Everybody they passed bowed to Luna, who answered each with a nod. “A joint effort between the astrologists and a team of physicists produced a machine, by which a unicorn might manipulate celestial objects, much like how my sister and I do so.” They came up alongside a refreshment table.

“So they are using this machine to do… what?” She watched as a trio of cheese squares disappeared into Luna’s maw.

Luna swallowed heavily. “They plan to alter the Bridle Comet’s path so that it passes closer to Equestria and provides a more magnificent spectacle,” she said, reaching out for a plate and piling it high with cheese and crackers. “I admit, never before have I considered doing such a thing. If the pegasus weather team can clear these clouds in time, the sight should be magnificent.”

A waiter passed by with a tray of champagne glasses balanced on his back, and Rarity reached out to take one. “I may be mistaken, but doesn’t that seem a bit… dangerous?” She took a small sip of wine.

“I do not believe so,” Luna said through a mouthful of food. She caught Rarity’s disapproving glare and pointedly slowed her pace. “Apologies. I have personally examined their data, as has a number of other prominent scientists. All found the research to be sound.”

“Well, I suppose if you say so then it must be true,” Rarity said softly. “I hope it’s true.”

The world is ending,” she heard Hay Budget whisper again in the back of her thoughts. “It’s a simple concept.

“Mares and gentlecolts,” a voice called out, “may I have your attention?” A stallion had climbed the podium and cleared his throat. “In a few moments we will begin the demonstration, but first I would like to say a few words.”

Luna sighed and placed her plate on a nearby table.

“I shall begin by thanking our contributors, without whom none of this would be possible,” the stallion continued, tugging at his bowtie. “In particular, thank you to Princess Luna, whose support was invaluable. Thank you, Princess.”

Light applause danced around the room as Luna gave a solemn wave. She remained straight-faced, despite the faint blush that only Rarity could see.

“Next I would like to—” A mare wearing thick glasses tapped the stallion’s shoulder from behind and whispered a few words in his ear. He nodded before returning to his audience. “Everypony, my colleague informs me that the time has come.” He reached out and yanked the cloth, revealing a large machine that resembled nothing so much as a telescope.

Both he and the mare took up position at the machine’s base. He began to fiddle with a series of levers while his partner continuously glanced through a small lens.

“If the clouds clear within the next few seconds, we will have a perfect view,” the stallion said while he worked.

As Rarity watched them work, an odd feeling of dread blossomed in her gut. Her weight shifted back and forth while she fought to find a comfortable position to stand in. She gulped down the rest of her champagne, then blushed and looked around to see if anybody had noticed. She found Luna staring back at her.

“Are you well?” Luna asked, putting a hoof on Rarity’s back. “Is something wrong?”

“Honestly, I’m not certain,” Rarity said. She scanned the room for another waiter bearing drinks, but none showed themselves. “This feels—”

Suddenly, a cacophony of voices filled the room as everybody’s eyes turned upwards. The clouds had finally begun to dissipate, and a bright glow shone through the quickly vanishing cover.

“The moon is beautiful tonight,” said a nearby noble, turning her eyes towards Luna.

However, Luna paid the noble no mind. Her attention had focused wholly on the sky. “The moon cannot have risen that far yet,” she said faintly. “That—it must be Bridle's Comet.”

Rarity’s sense of dread grew stronger, sitting heavily in her gut. “What—what do you mean? It shouldn’t be so close, should it?” The cloud cover vanished entirely. The glow belonged to a large blue-white sphere that slowly grew larger and larger.

“You were right to doubt,” Luna said. She straightened her posture and flared her wings. “Everypony take cover!” Her horn flared brightly and a blue translucent barrier covered the entire room. To the scientists, she shouted, “Can you divert its path?”

“We’re trying!” the stallion yelled back, frantically working the machine.

The comet had nearly blocked out all view of the sky as it approached. Its shadow covered all of Canterlot.

The world is ending. It’s a simple concept.

“Stop saying that!” Rarity snapped before she remembered that Hay Budget wasn’t real. But if I had listened…

The ponies in the room began to panic, but it was clear from Luna’s expression that nothing could be done. Still, she maintained her magical barrier. Rarity patted her consolingly on the back.

A moment later, Rarity’s vision disappeared in a blinding white flash before everything went black.

Author's Note:

Thanks to King of Beggars for helping to brainstorm all of Luna's titles. The best ones were no doubt his contributions.