• Published 17th Jul 2014
  • 560 Views, 11 Comments

Allies of Equestria - Shadowlux100



A changeling and a royal guard team up and become part of Celestia's secret team of freedom fighters.

  • ...
1
 11
 560

The First Step

"Shield!!"

Chryla was slipping from his grasp. The enemy was approaching fast and shield couldn’t pull her up over the ravine and defend himself at the same time. His wing was damaged so he couldn’t fly her out. This was bad.

She slipped lower, "I’ll save you, j-just hang on!" shield yelled.

"Shield...they're coming...just let go." tears flooded her eyes.

"No!"

"Then I will...seeya Shield." tears dropped off her face as she closed her eyes in a sad smile. Her grip loosened to go limp. This made her slip faster.

"No! Chryla please hang on!"

Her hoof left his grasp.

Shield woke up with shock. He cried out as he sat up and looked around. His heart rate slowly calmed down. “Just a dream...” Hoofsteps drew his attention to the door; somepony was walking away from the guardroom. Shield stood up shakily, and hurried to the door just in time to see Princess Luna rounding the corner down the hall. “What is she doing down here..?” Shield sighed and walked back to into the guard room. Today he returned on duty, so he dressed into his royal armor for the part.

He stopped moving before he even reached the doorway. “But I’m a captain now…what do I do?”
Princess Celestia's letter flashed into his memory. Nodding to himself, he started to her room high above the castle floor.

"The princess was expecting you, captain." the guard bowed and let him through without any trouble. Shield stepped into the room, quietly and held his head high. He obviously was holding in his shakiness again, princesses were top authority and he had spoken to two of the most powerful very frequently as of late, that doesn’t happen often.

"Oh Shield, you’re here!" Princess Celestia stepped into the room.

"Your majesty." he bowed then saluted her.

"At ease captain." she chuckled.

“Not that easy to do ma'am.” he thought to himself.

"I’m glad you made it up here. I'll ask for Chryla a little later. I figured you'd have more questions anyway." she continued.

"Ah, yes princess. What...is it exactly that you need me-er, us for?" Shield tilted his head.

Celestia's tone changed, "Equestria is a massive territory. I really can't be everywhere at once. Even with magic. I called you and Chryla out to join an elite task force named 'Allies of Equestria.’ There are a few members already but their embassy missions were miniscule compared to what I need now."

Shield was baffled, "How long have you wanted me on the task force?"

"A while, but I never could just take you out of the guard for it. It's your life." she continued.

"Your majesty, I wouldn’t have minded. I’d do anything for the good of Equestria."

She smiled, "I know, but embassy missions aren’t your favorite."

“Got me there.” he thought.

"Shield, what sealed the deal was Chryla. After I saw how you handled the situation, I 're-tasked' the allies. I have bigger and better plans for them now."

"S-such as?" Shield spoke again.

"You’ll know as they happen."

“Alrighty then.” he thought.

"Chryla will do well with camouflage, and you speed and strength. The other allies will show what they are for soon."

"Do I get any names?" Shield questioned.

Celestia's smile resonated in the voice. "No worries Shield, you'll get to know them soon enough."

Frustrated, he dropped the subject, "By the way your majesty, thank you again for the promotion and holidays."

"Not a problem. I foresee that this isn’t the only time this will happen."

“What?” Shield thought as his eyes widened.

"Please fetch Chryla for me." she finished.

He stood at attention, "Yes ma'am."

"At ease captain."

Shield trotted to the stewardesses chambers. “I know she’s the princess but she could be more descriptive…” he sighed to himself. Chryla was tending to the formal dining room, according to another pony, so he headed there.

"Carefree?" he called out to the gigantic room.

Her head popped out from under the big table like a gopher, "Shield!" He couldn’t help but laugh a little as she made her way over to him. She was carrying a feather duster in her mouth and had some dust on the end of her nose.

"You missed a spot, Carefree." Shield blew out and puffed the dust away. Chryla sneezed and dropped the duster.

"Meanie!" she shoved him as he laughed again.

"Sorry, sorry!"

"Whatever," she smiled, "What’s up?"

"Celestia wants to see you." Shield’s tone dropped only a little.

Chryla nodded, "Okay, let’s go then."

"Welcome back." Celestia spoke again as they re-entered the princesses room.

"Good morning your highness." Chryla curtsied.

Shield dipped his head in a bow. Luna walked in as he finished, and there was a look in her eye that he couldn’t make out as she looked at him.

"It’s time for your first assignment." Celestia plotted to the dresser on the far side of the room.

"Assignment?" Chryla tilted her head.

"Shield will tell you on your way to the mission." Celestia levitated a scroll to Shield and into his armor pocket.

"Yes ma'am." Shield saluted her.

"Uh, yeah! Yes ma'am too!" Chryla mirrored the motion.

Celestia smiled, "Your uniforms are at carousel boutique in Ponyville. That will be all you need." Shield saluted again, Chryla did the best she could to mimic his form. "Go. I’ll expect you to see me after the mission."

"Sooo..." Chryla spoke after they were a ways from the castle.

"So," Shield looked up from the letter that Celestia gave him, "we’ve got to go to Cloudsdale to give another new member the news of the allies."

"Weird..." Chryla puffed air into one of her cheeks. Shield wasted no time telling her what the allies were as soon as they were out of earshot of the castle. She took it pretty well.

"This is a huge responsibility...I hope I can handle it." Chryla looked at her hooves.

"You’ll do great." Shield smiled.

"Thanks, you too." was that a blush she had? "So why Cloudsdale?" Chryla continued.

"Most likely a pegasus." he nodded to her as he put the note away in his saddle bag.

"Any idea who?"

"Nope."

They strode into Ponyville and to the boutique. Inside there were many beautiful dresses and such all laced in jewels.

"Whoa..." Chryla breathed out as she gandered around the room.

"I’ll find the pony in charge here, you can look around if you want." Shield smiled at her.

"Mmhm..." she hardly acknowledged him.

He chuckled and started off towards the front of the store. "Well hiya!!"

To say he jumped four flanks into the air was an understatement. "Gee…didn’t mean to scare you." the filly spoke again.

"It’s alright. Just a warning would have been nicer than a jump-scare." Shield let his heart rate fell again.

"My name is Sweetie Belle! My sister owns this place." the filly continued.

"That’s cool. Do you help her much?" Shield always felt he was alright with kids.

"Uh huh!" Sweetie Belle nodded, "but today I have a meeting!"

"Oh?" Shield smiled.

"See my flank?" it gleamed as white as her coat, "I’m going to my cutie mark crusader meeting today!"

"That sounds like lots of fun," Shield nudged her with his hoof, "Don’t have too much fun and I hope you find your cutie mark soon."

"Thanks mister...er..."

"Shield. Courageous Shield."

"Thanks mister Shield." she beamed as she whipped on a red cape and ran out. Shield looked up to what seemed to be the sales counter.

"-and she was wondering if you could come." a purple unicorn was talking to a white one.

"Why of course I’ll go! Pinky knows how to throw a party." the white one responded.

Shield cleared his throat to get their attention. "Yes? How may I help you?" the white one answered him.

"I’m here on an order pick up?" Shield stepped closer.

"Wait…have I seen you before?" the purple one spoke to him.

"Hmhm, I’m glad you at least remember what I look like, Twilight. I’m honored." Shield dipped his head.

"Oh! You’re Sir Courageous Shield! That’s right!" her eyes shone as she remembered.

"A royal guard?!?" the white one raised her voice a little.

"Oh no…Rarity it’s no big deal." Twilight said with false hope of calming her friend down.

"No big deal?! This is high ranking business we are talking about!!" Rarity trotted out from behind the counter and curtsied, "Welcome to the carousel boutique! I am honored to have a guard in my store."

"Hey it’s no problem! Really!" Shield felt a little flustered.

"But it is! Ah, no matter. I assume you’re picking up the order from Princess Celestia?"

"Yes I am."

"This way please!" Rarity started off. Shield followed but was closely followed by Twilight.

"Can I help you Ms. Sparkle?"

"Did you come alone?"

"Oh. Nope. Just a sec." Shield called out to the rest of the store. "Hey Carefree! Back here!"

"Coming!" she trotted to them. Twilights eyes narrowed.

"Uh…hi, I’m Carefree. I’ve tended to you a few times while you met with the princesses."

"Hi...outside of that have we met before?" Twilight looked her over more. Shield became a little uncomfortable.

"N-not to my knowledge." Chryla continued.

"Hey! I said follow me!" Rarity poked her head out from a room.

"Let’s not keep her waiting, hm?" Shield tried to lighten the tension that Twilight had.

"Right. Sorry Carefree." Twilight apologized.

"Not a problem, Twilight."

They walked to the room Rarity was in. She had two black uniforms on model ponies. They were equipped with many pockets and seemed to have built in scarves that were meant to cover the face. The one meant for Shield had holes in the back for his wings.

"Why in Equestria would Celestia need these?" Twilight tilted her head.

"Uh..." Shield didn’t know what to say.

"You could ask her in a letter Twilight, we don’t know either." Carefree spoke for him. Chryla's eyes darted to Rarity for a moment.

"Alright…she never told me about this… "Twilight's skeptical feeling could almost be seen around the air.

Rarity cleared her throat, "W-well they must be important. Celestia paid a pretty penny for these. I offered to do it for free because it was a royal proposal. She denied me though and paid full price…"

"What are they made of?" Shield spoke.

"Special anti-soak and wind-breaking fabric." Rarity 'swooshed' her mane, "I just made them look good is all."

"So water and windproof?" Chryla asked.

"Yes dear! Also, I designed them for very wide ranges of mobility for any which way the wearer needs to go." Rarity finished.

"Wow... Whoever gets these is lucky." Chryla smiled.

"Yeah they are." Twilight chimed in. "well I’m going to go. Spike is probably bored. See you later Rarity! Bye Carefree and Sir Shield!" They all waved as she trotted out. Rarity levitated the suits into bags.

"There you go dearies, and please do come again!" Rarity bowed once more.

"Definitely!" both Chryla and Shield called as they left the boutique.

They trotted a few steps away before Chryla spoke,"They were nice."

"I agree, but Twilight seemed to be onto something…she’s bright." Shield sighed.

"Hey no worries. I’m sure Celestia will say something." Shield nodded. "So...to Cloudsdale?" Chryla questioned.

"To Cloudsdale."