• Published 17th Jul 2014
  • 560 Views, 11 Comments

Allies of Equestria - Shadowlux100



A changeling and a royal guard team up and become part of Celestia's secret team of freedom fighters.

  • ...
1
 11
 560

The Day Off

The sun beamed through the window, soft and warm in the room. Courageous Shield blinked awake to it. Stretching, he stood and looked outside. It was near noon. He’d never slept that long. He wasn’t allowed to. In a bit of a shock, he quickly dressed and trotted out into the main hall. No one seemed to be in the immediate vicinity.

“Somepony should have waked me up at ten!” he huffed inwardly and slowed his pace just a tad. His officer was going to be mad at him for sleeping in.

"Oh, Sir Shield!" the voice made him stop mid-stride. It was the guard from last night.

"Good mor-er... After noon solider." he corrected himself.

"Did you sleep well?"

"I did, but why didn’t the captain wake me?"

He shrugged, "Said something about a princess' order. He’s out on the grounds if you want to talk to him."

Shield dipped his head in respect, "Thanks." Princess' order?

Shield headed off to the nearest exit of the castle to the grounds. He was more curious than concerned of this 'order' of his. Especially if it let him sleep in. The captain was patrolling with a small group around the greens when Shield spotted him.

"Oi! Captain!" he called out.

"Ah, Shield. I was wondering when you would get up. You're not one to sleep in."

"Tell me about it," Shield stepped closer, "What’s going on?"

"The princess gave you today and tomorrow off from duty. No idea why, but orders are orders."

Shield nodded a bit slowly, "I’m as clueless as you, sir."

"Also, Shield, it seems you’ve been promoted."

Shield's ears perked up as he tilted his head slightly.

"Promoted to captain, Captain Shield."

He could hardly believe it. This was too good to be true. It couldn’t be real. "Thank you si- uh..."

"Call me Jade." his former captain smiled and saluted him briefly.

That’s right. His name was Jade, Jade Water. Shield had been calling him 'sir' so long that he almost forgot his real name. Shield saluted back, before turning back to the castle. “I gotta talk to the princess.” he thought as he plotted a course to the top of the castle. The doors at the top of the stairs held a guard as usual, but the guard simply saluted him and let him knock on the door without question.

"Please come in." it was Luna’s voice this time. Shield stepped in and closed the door behind him. Luna was lying down in the center of the room, resting from guarding the night.

"Thank you for this council, ma'am" he bowed.

"Of course Captain." He wasn’t use to that just yet. "What brings you here?"

"I was just inquiring about an order I got from Princess Celestia." Shield spoke with a bit of anxiousness. Talking to the princesses was never a stress free endeavor.

"Relax, I have this for you." Luna smiled and levitated a scroll over to him and into his armor pocket.

"This is from my sister," she continued.

"Ah, thank you again princess." he bowed.

"I hope you will take good care of our new friend, Shield."

So she knew already, "Y-yes ma'am." he saluted.

"Go enjoy your day, farewell."

He nodded and bowed, "Yes ma'am."

He found himself back on the main floor of the castle in no time at all. “I don’t even need to wear this today.” He said as he shifted in his armor. His next path led him back to his room, where he took of the armor. The note fell out if his pocket as he did so. “Oh, right.” Opening it he read:

'Dearest Captain Shield,

Congratulations on the promotion, I have a few things I would like you to do. First, enjoy two days to yourself and Chryla. You two need to know each other to be friends, right? Second, keep her and our secret to us. Nopony will understand her. We know that firsthoof. Third and finally, relax and get some sleep. There is something of great importance I need from both of you in a few days. Thank you and congratulations again. I know you will do Equestria well.
-Princess Celestia'

So it was true. Captain. He smiled genuinely. He put the note down and suited himself up with a small saddle bag meant for pegasi just in case he wanted to buy anything in town today. The letter put him in a good mood, but also made him confused. “What could she possibly need her and me for?”

"Oh! Shield!" he nearly ran into Chryla heading out of his room.

"Oh hi Carefree," it felt weird, that name.

"Why aren’t you in your armor?" she backed up to give him some space.

"Oh, I have the next few days off. Uh...princess' orders."

"Really? That’s odd, I do too." she tilted her head.

"Oh. Cool," he smiled to her, “I was planning on going into town would you like to er...come along?"

Her ears perked up. "S-sure! Could we stop at my room so I can get ready?"

"Not a problem." he gave another smile, "Lead the way."

She stared in the other direction and he followed. At first it was a bit awkward, the Shield tried to lighten the mood. "So actually I got promoted."

"Oh really?" she perked up.

"Yup. Captain Courageous Shield now."

"That’s cool! Congrats, sir." she giggled a little.

They got to her room on that, "I’ll be right out."

"Okay." he smiled yet again.

He stood at her doorway, shifting on his hooves. ‘What do I talk to her about?” She only took about three minutes, now only equipped with a saddle purse over her usual stewardess uniform.

"There we go," she beamed.

Shield laughed, "Great."

"This is actually the first 'day off' I’ve had in some time." she added, starting to walk out.

"Me too honestly." he sounded staggered, but only a little.

"Then let’s make it worthwhile, hm?" she grinned again.

"No doubt." he remembered the letter as soon as the words left his mouth.

"Any definite plans for what you want to do today?" They walked along towards the city after passing through the main gate.

"I was hoping to get to the jeweler to get my badge polished and maybe get some treats at the bakery. Anything you need?"

"Not particularly, I’ll just window shop if anything."

Shield nodded. "Okay."

There was a break in their conversation. They were a bit of the way to town and nopony seemed to be near them. "So...uh..." Shield started.

Yes?" she heard the nervousness in his voice.

"How exactly did you get stuck back here?" he spoke in a different tone, trying to keep it friendly.

"Sigh...I know you have a lot of questions for me. So I guess starting now won't hurt." she smiled a little bit less.

"When the banishing spell went out, I was in the castle halls. A lookout if you will, and I got slammed against a wall. Some of the changelings near me eventually got pushed out of nearby windows, but my leg got stuck on a light fixture on the wall."

Shield nodded, "Then what happened?"

"I knew that they were all gone, and I had to act fast. The painting near me had the pony now known as 'carefree' in it and I copied her, assuming nopony looked like her."

Shield listened well, "I see. Did anypony ever expect anything?"

She smirked a little, "Hmhm, well I’m a good changeling so no. Although it was pretty hard to learn how you're kind talked so fast."

"They treated my leg, and I acted in shock so nopony got suspicious about me not talking."

Shield nodded again, they were entering the city now, "That was smart."

"Thank you." she smiled, but there was more behind it as she looked back forward a bit slower.

"Everything okay?" he asked.

"We’ll talk about it later."

Her tone was unreadable to him, "okay..."

"Hey cheer up," she stuck her tongue out, "I just wanna relax today."

Shield got flustered for a moment, "R-right. My bad."

The town was busting as usual, unicorns, a few pegasi and earth ponies going all about their businesses in the city of Canterlot. Shield led the way to the jeweler and stepped inside after letting Chryla in first. She trotted in and started looking at the jewelry in a display case as shield handed his badge over to the clerk there.

"It will be ready in half an hour, sir." the clerk smiled.

"Thank you." he smiled back "Alright Carefree, let’s go."

She trotted to the door after him happily and stepped out into the street. They chatted about nothing important as they walked, getting to know another better.

"So where are you from Shield?"

"Cloudsdale, where most pegasi are born. I passed flight school and made it my goal to get to the guard."

"Cool. Did you have any friends?"

Shield smiled with a bittersweet feeling. "I did have one really good friend, but after flight school she moved to Manehatten and I haven’t seen her since."

"Oh that’s too bad..." her ears drooped.

"Hey no worries," shield smiled, "we promised that we'd see each other again."

Chryla smiled, "That’s why I admire you ponies."

"What do you mean?" shield's head tilted to one side.

"You’re kind thrives on friendship and happiness. Almost the exact opposite of mine. It’s a wonderful change."

Shield smiled again, "I’m glad our hospitality has been that good.” They walked to the market place and paced up and down the aisles of the outdoor bazaar.

"There it is!" shield grinned.

"There what is?" Chryla had to trot to keep up with him as he picked up his pace. The stand smelled wonderful, it bore so many different products that all looked delicious.

"This stand is my favorite, its really rare I get a chance to buy things here." Shield almost drooled openly.

"Wow…it all looks so good." Chryla stared at it all in wonder.

"Howdy!" an orange pony popped out from under the stand, "I just had to check my stocks. What can I do ya for?"

Shield's ears flicked, "Did you run this stand last time ma'am?"

"Last time? I’ve always run this here stand! Sweet apple acres is mah responsibility after all." the pony beamed.

"Oh!" Shield exclaimed.

"What is it Shield?" Chryla was just as confused as the orange pony.

"You’re Applejack. I remember you from the…er..."

"Eyup! That’s me!" the orange pony beamed, "Those changelings didn’t stand a chance." Shield felt Chryla's mood dampen. "Anyway, whatch'yall need?" the enthusiasm seeped out of her words.

"Hm let’s see..."

"Shield...how much do you usually get?" Chryla's eyebrow rose.

"16 apple fritters, 4 apple pies, 3 bushels of apples, and 20 apple cupcakes please." Shield looked up into space as he listed them off his mental list.

Both Chryla and Applejack were speechless. A-are ya sure sugarcube?" Applejack sheepishly grinned back at him.

"Jeez Shield..." Chryla didn’t have much else to say.

"Yeah. I need to catch up on my usual load." Shield looked like it was no big deal.

"I don’t even..." Chryla breathed.

"Okay then…er...that'll be 1600 bits." Applejack still was skeptical.

"Sure thing." Shield pulled a bag of golden coins out. It swelled outward and the seams couldn’t take any more.

"That should be 1700, at least that’s what I counted last time." Shield spoke after dropping the bag with a thud on the stands' top.

"Uh...alright sir." Applejack was still dumbfounded.

"Keep all of it," Shield smiled to her again.

"Heh, always love the nice customers. I’ll have your order in a jiffy, so you can go wondern' while ya'll wait." Applejack beamed.

"Alright! Thanks again!" Shield grinned back as he led Chryla away from the stand.

It was only a few steps until Chryla spoke out, "1600 bits worth of apple products?!"

"I guess I can get a bit excessive." Shield chuckled.

"Ya don’t say." Chryla laughed back. They laughed some more as they walked to another few stands. Some time passed and Shield told Chryla more about the apple stand.

"I love Sweet Apple Acres. It’s my favorite producer of apple products."

"How long have you supported them?" Chryla smiled.

"Since I was a colt. I’m going to go there someday. I want to see where it’s all made." Shield nodded with a determined look.

"Weirdo." Chryla laughed.

"Whatever." Shield stuck out his tongue.

Some time passed, and Shield went back for his order.

"Alright. You got all of it. Thanks again!" Applejack called to them as they walked away.

"Thank you, Applejack!" Chryla called for Shield because his mouth was full. He had his saddle bag full on both sides, another bag draped around his neck and carrying two more in his mouth. Chryla had to carry his badge when they got that back too. The walk home was quiet, needless to say.

"Are you sure you don’t want help?" Chryla sighed again. Shield shook his head. She just laughed a little.

The castle had little activity going on as they returned. Chryla lead him to the kitchen to store most of his stuff. "Hey Carefree?" he couldn’t use her real name out loud just yet.

"Yeah?" she tilted her head.

"Can you even eat anything...er…food-like at all?"

Her eyebrows raised, "I can, it just doesn’t do me anything."

"Can you taste it?"

“Yeah?"

Shield cut a pie in half. "Here, for accompanying me today."

"Oh you don’t have to Shield, really." she smiled.

"Come on, I have 1500 more bits worth. The least I can do is share." he grinned.

"Oh alright." she laughed again.

They ate the pie and discussed what their favorite tastes were and the best food they’ve ever eaten. They talked a good hour before Shield looked at the time.

"It’s getting pretty late. You should get some rest." Shield spoke after a brief silence.

As if on cue she yawned. "Yeah, you too."

"Take care." Shield walked out of the kitchen.

"You too Shield." she smiled and waved as he left.

It wasn’t long before Shield lay down to rest himself. It was a pretty long day. “I’m glad Chryla and I can get along so well.” he yawned himself and fell asleep only moments after closing his eyes.

Luna stepped into the room. "Sister. What do you have planned for the changeling?"

"I guess I haven’t shared that with you have I, sister?" Celestia smiled.

"I need an elite task force sister. In case something goes wrong in Equestria and I can’t fix it myself."

"What does this have to do with the changeling?" Luna’s eyes narrowed in question.

"She can impersonate anypony she sees. That is very useful. Shield can provide protection and force to the team when necessary." Celestia spoke as-a-matter-of-factly.

"Who else is on this team, sister?"

"The allies. Allies of Equestria."