• Published 29th Jul 2014
  • 2,993 Views, 73 Comments

Making Adjustments - DerpyStarlet



Star Soar always knew he was different, he could never figure out how. He finally finds the how out, by getting his cutie mark. But what could be the best day ever, turns into an emotional rollercoaster.

  • ...
11
 73
 2,993

Apple Acceptance

Applejack sits outside the house in wait, Applebloom has to come back sometime. Applejack is determined to wait for Applebloom, however long it takes. Applejack tries to ignore that voice in her head that wants to talk about what happened with Dash. The revelation came as a shock to her, how had she not known that one of her friends was gay? It's unnatural, yet Dash seemed hurt. `Of course she seemed hurt, she's not right in the head.` Applejack reasons. Yet, that's not how it seemed.

Dash had seem heartbroken, and betrayed. As the element of honesty, Applejack had learned how to see the truth in peoples emotions. Beneath the hurt was not guilt, but a look of utter betrayal. How had Applejack betrayed her? She was the one that was wrong! But then, why does Applejack feel like she might be the one in the wrong? Applejack ignores the hurt in her gut, she was right and she knows it. No matter how much doubt they try to plant in her.

Applejack continues to wait in silence as the sun starts to set, Big Mac had come by earlier to ask her what she was doing. She had told him that she was waiting for Applebloom, nopony had bothered her since. She'd already eaten, so she wasn't hungry. All that's left to do is wait, wait for Applebloom. Applejack shoots to her hooves as she sees movement in the distance, but frowns as she notices that the figure is a white pony. It's not Applebloom, but Rarity that's walking to her.

"Hello, Applejack, beautiful night isn't it?" Rarity says as she walks up. Applejack softens a little as she sees her friend, it's a welcome distraction.

"Hey there, Rarity, what brings you 'round these parts?" Applejack asks.

"I was hoping we could talk Applejack," Rarity says, her smile faltering a little.

"What about?" Applejack asks.

"A couple of things actually... I hear that you had a falling out with Dash earlier?" Rarity says cautiously.

"I'll say, can you believe it? She's wrong in the head! That colt Star too, you best keep Sweetie away," Applejack warns.

"You'd tell me to break up my sisters friendship on account of him being different? Would you abandon Rainbow Dash because she's the way she is? Our friend, who has been nothing but loyal to us, you'd abandon her because of something so trivial?" Rarity accuses.

"No, I'm gonna try to fix her! The kids are impressionable though, we can't have them learning the wrong things." Applejack argues.

"And who are you to say what is right and wrong?" Rarity asks.

"I shouldn't have to say it, it's obvious! I thought you of all people would understand. You ain't queer too are you?" Applejack questions menacingly.

"I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't use such slander. But no, Applejack, I'm not `queer`. That doesn't mean I don't accept them. A pony should be able to do what they want, love who they want." Rarity retorts.

"It's not right, you can't make a family that way! The Apple family has been sustained on heterosexual couples having kids and carrying on the legacy, queers can't have kids! It's unnatural!" Applejack fumes.

"The apple family has been sustained on Apple loving ponies. What if Applebloom hates apples?" Rarity suggests.

"What're you talkin' about? Applebloom loves apples!" Applejack exclaims in confusion.

"Does she? Or does she just act like it because she's afraid of rejection? Afraid that she'll let down the family. If she doesn't love apples, is she still an apple? Say that she loves pears, would you cast her out of the family because she can't carry on the apple legacy? If she hated apples, could you accept her?" Rarity questions, Applejack freezes.

"I... I..." what would she do? Would she do just that? No, apple is family and family sticks together. But like Rarity said, if she can't carry on the legacy, is she still an Apple? Of course, once an apple, always an apple.

"What if she were scared that no one would accept her because of how she feels? Applebloom, the Apple that hates apples. She'd be afraid of rejection, she'd be afraid to tell people. Do you know what she'd end up doing? Lying, to herself and everyone else around her. Because she feels that not even her family could accept her for how she is. Applejack, element of honesty, the Apple that drove her sister to lying because she couldn't accept that she was different." Rarity mocks.

"No, that's wrong I'll help bloom. I'll-" Applejack is cut off by Rarity.

"You'll fix her? What if it's not a problem? What if it's just the way she is. Some ponies have certain tastes, certain preferences that they just can't help. Taste is one of those. You try to `fix` her, she'll just end up lying to you and herself to be accepted." Rarity retorts.

"I... I can accept her. I'll make her know that she's accepted and still part of the apple family," Applejack says.

"Let's say that Applebloom were gay? Could you still accept her? It's the exact same situation as the last, so you should be able to accept her right? Except with this one it's worse, much worse. Some ponies couldn't care less what Applebloom likes to eat, but that's not the case. Even more ponies would care if she's gay, would you? If she wasn't welcome anywhere else because of her sexuality, would she be accepted here? Or would you try to `fix` her, make her lie to herself and everyone around her about her preferences. If she were to marry, it would have to be a lie, because she can't face the world honestly. All because her sister couldn't accept her, is that what'll happen?" Rarity asks.

Applejack is frozen now, frozen in shock. If Applebloom were gay, that's probably exactly what would happen. And Applejack probably wouldn't have been able to see the truth. She would have been too caught up in what she thought was right, but in truth she would be completely wrong. She would not only be encouraging a lie, but enforcing it. It goes against everything she was ever taught, but it's how she was raised. How could she have ever believed something that conflicts with her morals?

And now, thanks to what she used to believe, she may have pushed away her friends and family. Applebloom hasn't come home yet, maybe she ran away. She could have ran away after feeling that she couldn't be accepted, and she would have been completely justified. Maybe Rarity was right, maybe she is like that. Maybe she drove Applebloom away with her actions. Maybe Applebloom hates her.

Not only that, but she drove Dash away too. And she knows that Dash is for a fact, gay. `Dash probably hates me, Bloom hates me, Star hates me. I wouldn't put it past the rest of the crusaders to hate me, and maybe even our other friends. I hurt Dash, how can I face her again?` Applejack thinks to herself, tears are pooling in her eyes. Rarity moves closer to comfort her friend.

"Do you see it now, Applejack?" Rarity asks. "Do you accept Dash, and Star? Do you accept anypony who may have feelings that make them different?" Rarity asks softly.

"I do, but... I hurt them Rarity. How do I make it up to them Rarity? And Bloom, she hasn't come back yet..." Applejack says dejectedly.

"Applebloom's at my house. She was really hurt by how you treated Star, she asked if she could stay the night. I let her, but I think you have some apologies to dish out." Rarity says, laying a comforting hoof on Applejacks back.

"Will that be enough? I realize now that the things I said and did were just plumb awful," Applejack sniffs sadly.

"She's your sister, and Dash is your friend. I'm sure they'll be willing to forgive you," Rarity says.

"What about Star?" Applejack asks.

"I'm sure he'll forgive you too," Rarity assures her. They sit there for a while more, just silently enjoying eachothers company. Applejack, not wanting Rarity to leave. Rarity, not wanting to abandon Applejack while she could still need help.

"Rarity?" Applejack looks over at her friend.

"Hmm?" Rarity looks back in acknowledgement.

"Thanks for helping me, I was being stubborn." Applejack admits.

"Don't mention it, darling. Now, I'd hate to leave you here, but it's getting quite late. I do have to make sure the girls make it to school in the morning, and I'm sure you have responsibilities tomorrow as well." Rarity says, turning to Applejack.

"Right, I'll see you around then. Have a nice night," Applejack says. She wipes her face dry one last time and pulls Rarity in for a goodbye hug.

"Goodnight, Applejack." Rarity leaves after that, Applejack heads to bed. She thinks on all that's happened, and she feels a new hope for understanding.

~~~~~~~

Applejack is feeling pretty happy this morning, the hope from last night has blossomed into something beautiful. She's planned to visit Dash and make up for how she acted, then she's going to make it up with Applebloom and Star. Gone is the former bias and prejudice, Applejack now has a new outlook. It still pains Applejack to think of how she acted, but she brushes off the thought. She's not like that anymore, she's better.

Applejack is interrupted from her morning routine by a knock at the door, she has no idea who it could be. Most ponies in town are barely waking up at this time, much less going anywhere. Especially Sweet Apple Acres, so who could it be? Applejack moves to the door and opens it up, she doesn't expect what she finds.

"Applejack, please don't chase me out. I have nowhere else to go," Applejack stares wide eyed at the pony before her. He's a wreck. He has various bruises lining his body, and tear streaks along his face. He has saddlebags full of what appear to be personal possessions. He's looking at Applejack fearfully, and pleadingly.

"Braeburn? What the hay happened to you?!" Applejack exclaims.

"They ran me out cuz'. They ran me right out of Appaloosa, only after a couple of swings at me..." Braeburn shudders at the thought.

"Why'd they do that?!" Applejack asks in outrage.

"It's because I'm... I'm... I'm a coltcuddler!" Braeburn covers his head, no doubt expecting a beating. "Please, if you don't want me here I understand. Just, please, don't hit me..." Braeburn cowers and Applejack looks at him in shock. Her conversation with Rarity comes back to her mind as she looks at Braeburn, rage and horror filter through her. How could the Appaloosan Apples treat Braeburn like this? But Applejack knows exactly why, it's because they don't accept him.

Applejack moves to Braeburn and embraces him in a hug, he whimpers at the contact. Slowly he realizes that she's not hurting him, he looks at her tentatively.

"You... you're not mad? Or disgusted?" Braeburn asks.

"Of course not, you're family through and through. I don't care who you like, I ain't gonna tell you what's right. You're always welcome here, and you remember that. It don't matter what others say," Applejack replies.

"But, it ain't natural..." Braeburn says sadly, Applejack pulls him away from her and holds him in front of her.

"Braeburn, I don't want to hear any of this. You are who you are and that's that, it don't matter if you're different. Apples forever, and Apples together." Braeburn nods and Applejack pulls him back into a hug.

"Thanks cuz', you're the best," Braeburn sighs in relief onto Applejacks shoulder.

"You can stay here for as long as need be, granted you help out with the farm." Applejack assures him.

"You don't know how much this means to me," Braeburn replies.

"T'ain't a thing. Like I said, family helps each other out." Applejack ushers Braeburn inside and to the kitchen table. Applejack starts on making breakfast for Braeburn and Braeburn sits at the table quietly. He looks around the house at all the decorations, it's been a while since he's ever had time to stop and admire the house. He rarely comes over, and when he does he's busy doing other things.

"Braeburn? What're you doin' here?" Granny smith is looking at Braeburn in surprise.

"Granny, Braeburn will be staying with us for a while" Applejack says slowly.

"And why's that?" She asks, suddenly very suspicious.

"I was chased outta Appaloosa," Braeburn says quietly.

"Why?" Granny asks accusingly.

"Because I'm a c-coltcuddler," Braeburn says nervously.

"You-?! Get outta here, we don't need no queers here!" Granny Smith shouts in rage. Braeburn looks at her in fear, Applejack steps between them.

"Granny, I won't have none of that! Braeburn is staying here and that's final. I will not let you scare him off, you hear me?" Applejack yells back.

"He's a queer, it ain't natural!" Granny spits.

"He's family, and I won't have you insulting him! I don't care if he's secretly a seapony, he's always welcome here!" Applejack retorts.

"I raised you smarter than this, Applejack!" Granny Smith fumes.

"No, you raised me to be biased and unfair to others! I'm done being like that! I will not stand for it on my farm!" Applejack snaps.

"Why? You a queer too?" Granny asks.

"So what if I am? What's wrong with that?" Applejack challenges, and she means it. She and Granny stare off for a few seconds, then Granny Smith turns and leaves the room in a huff.

"Did you mean that? Are you...?" Braeburn trails off.

"No, but I ain't about to let her win because of that." Applejack answers.

"Applejack, why are you being so accepting? Don't get me wrong, I love you to death for it, but I remember you being a lot different about this stuff. I mean, Granny did teach you that way... I guess, what I'm asking is, what changed your mind?" Braeburn asks timidly.

"Actually, it was only last night. Yesterday, I hurt three ponies close to me by being... a bigot, as Applebloom so simply put it. I wasn't sorry though, I honestly thought I was right. Then... I had a different friend talk to me. She put my actions into perspective, and I've changed for the better. Now I gotta go make nice with those ponies. So, make yourself at home in the guest room. I'd suggest staying outta Granny's way. If you have any problems, I'll be back soon." Applejack turns to the breakfast she made braeburn and plops it in front of him. Braeburn nods thankfully and Applejack leaves.

"So, you're a coltcuddler?" Braeburn jumps at Big Macs voice behind him. Braeburn cowers under Macs gaze, he just nods slowly. Mac stares at him for a long while, Braeburn gulps in fear. "Huh," Mac simply turns to the door and leaves, Braeburn watches in relief. A big smile erupts on his face, things are starting to look up.

~~~~~~~

I open my eyes and look around me, it's still strange waking up in a room that's not mine. However, I'm comforted by the fact that Applebloom and Sweetie Belle were in the room with me. Sweetie Belle had given up her bed once again, and I had graciously declined. This left Applebloom for the bed, Sweetie and I took the cots. I look over at the bed and notice that it's empty, Applebloom must be up early. I look out the window and notice that the sun is barely up, which is still earlier than I usually wake up. It makes sense, we went to sleep a little earlier. I don't understand how Sweetie Belle is still asleep, even if she's always been a deep sleeper.

I attempt to get out of bed as quietly as possible, but I still end up being louder than I'd like. Thankfully, Sweetie Belle sleeps like a rock. I move down the stairs to the living room, Applebloom is sitting by the window. I walk over and sit next to her, she doesn't move.

"Hey, Bloom, you okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I should be asking you that though, I ain't the one about to face the school." Applebloom says, turning to me.

"What do you mean?" I ask, though I have a good idea what she's talking about.

"You're cutie mark. So far you've gotten mixed responses from a handful of ponies, who knows how all our classmates are going to react?" Applebloom says.

"Well, I'm gonna guess that Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are gonna think I'm a freak. That's one thing you could always count on," I chuckle softly at the dry joke, Applebloom just looks at me in concern.

"Are you sure you're okay with that?" Applebloom asks.

"I've handled much worse so far," I assure her, it doesn't really put her at ease.

"I worry about you Star, all this fear can't be good for you. I don't want you to become terrified of the world, I wish other ponies could just accept that you're different." Applebloom says sadly.

"I do too..." I agree. We sit there for a while before Applebloom speaks up again.

"I been thinkin'," Applebloom starts.

"What about?" I motion for her to continue.

"About what Twilight said," Applebloom says I look over to her. She has that face she gets any time she's thinking up some sort of plan. "Twilight was mentioning that ponies in your position normally make up a separate identity, I'm going to assume that this separate Identity is some sort of attempt to separate how they feel from how they are. Like, you are Star, a pegasus colt. But, you feel different than that, right?" I look at Applebloom in surprise and nod. I hadn't expected anything so deep from my friend, not to say she's dumb or anything.

"Yeah, something like that..." I agree.

"Right, that's what I thought. So, do you want a second identity? Twilight said that's what normally happens, but in the end it's all up to you." Applebloom asks. I think it over.

"Why do I need a separate identity to be who I want?" I question.

"Well, I imagine that the whole point is to keep the lives separate. Like a secret identity. In the comics, secret identities are used to protect that pony and those around them... I don't know why you'd have to protect those around you, but maybe you do." Applebloom shrugs. I mull it over, I know what she means by secret identity. It makes sense if you put it like that, but it would really only be for your benefit. It seems like a lie though, like you can't be yourself. So you become somepony else to be yourself.

It just seems like an unnecessarily complex lie, especially when you think about the comics. They have a so much harder time because of their secret life, yet they can't throw away that second life. That second life is still a part of them, but they struggle to keep it seperate. I have a choice here, whether to make a second life for myself or not. The fact that I have the choice to do so shows that I'm not who I feel I should be. What if instead of splitting who I am and who I feel like I should be, I merge them. What if who I am is who I feel like? If I feel like a filly, could I be a filly?

"I don't want to be two ponies. I just want to be me, Bloom." I tell her. If I am going to be a filly, how would I go about doing that? "Bloom? How do you be a filly?" I ask her, she looks at me in surprise.

"I dunno, you just are... you just feel like one, look like one, act like one, it's not really a thing you do consciously..." Applebloom replies.

"Bloom, I think I know now. I feel like a filly, can you help me with the other parts?" Applebloom looks at me with a smile.

"I can sure try," Applebloom assures me.

"Thanks Bloom," I thank her.

"No problem. We should probably get Sweetie Belle up, we need to start getting ready in a while," Applebloom says.

"You go get her up, I need to ask Rarity for something." I tell her. She nods and we part ways, I move to Raritys door. I realize that the light is on, I knock on the door. Rarity answers the door, she smiles down at me.

"Good morning, Star. Did you need something?" Rarity asks.

"Actually, yes. You wouldn't happen to have some hair dye or a spell to change hair color, would you?" Rarity thinks on it for a second.

"I do happen to have some hair dye. It's leftover from one of the crusaders earlier attempts at cutiemarks, and I haven't found any use for it since. Why? Do you want to use it?" Rarity asks.

"Only if you have any in my eye color or close," I respond.

"I'll see what we have." Rarity moves back into her room, I wait at the door frame. "Fate seems to favor you, I have the perfect color! Now, do you want a full dye, or just a couple streaks?" Rarity asks cheerily. I think on it for a second, then I make my decision.

"Streaks please!" I answer enthusiastically. Rarity smiles and ushers me into the bathroom.

~~~~~~~

Applejack is being carried up to Dash's cloud house, she was not outside practicing like she'd usually be. This in itself was enough to worry Applejack, so she went to ask Twilight for a cloud walking spell. She'd also asked a pegasus she knew well enough to carry her up to the door. After she's up on the doorstep, Applejack dismisses the other pony. Now that she's alone, Applejack takes a deep breath to compose herself. Then she knocks on the door.

Rainbow Dash answers the door, her eyes widen to the size of dinner plates. Rainbow's eyes are bloodshot and puffy, there are obvious tear streaks along her muzzle. Her mane looks more unkempt than usual, and her coat is in a similar state. Rainbow Dash has a blanket draped over herself tightly. In total, she looks like a wreck.

"Applejack?" Rainbow asks meekly.

"Rainbow, I'm sorry about what I said! I wasn't right, I was so wrong! I was being callous and unfair, and I can only hope that you don't hate me. I understand that you may like mares, and that's alright. I didn't understand before, but I do now. Please forgive me, Rainbow." Applejack pleads.

"Really?" Rainbow asks after a while, her voice raspy.

"Really! I don't want our friendship to stop because I was inconsiderate before," Applejack insists. "I realize now that some ponies are just like that, and that they deserve my support and respect. I'm here to give you just that, support and respect. What do you say Rainbow, could you forgive me?" Applejack asks earnestly, leaning in eagerly towards Rainbow Dash for an answer.

Rainbow doesn't answer for the longest time, she seems to be mulling something over. Then, she darts in and plants a kiss on Applejack faster than she can react. Applejack's eyes widen, but she doesn't move. She stands stock still, even after Rainbow pulls away. The kiss hadn't been longer than two seconds, but it had felt much longer. Days could have passed, and Applejack wouldn't have noticed. Her mind is focused on the kiss, and how she felt about it.

It had been unexpected, but not unwelcome. It was passionate and sincere, and it had felt wonderful. Applejack had been kissed before, but none of them had felt like that. Just forceful enough to be pleasurable, but it still had the softness of a lover. The lip lock shouldn't have felt as good as it did, and now Applejack is hungry for more.

"I'm sorry! I know I shouldn't have, but you were just so beautiful! I know you aren't like that, but I love you! I love you so much, and I have for a long time! I couldn't resist... I know you must hate me now, after a stunt like th-" the rest of Rainbow Dash's words are muffled as Applejack plants her lips firmly on Rainbow Dash's. Rainbow Dash melts into the sweet embrace of their lips and leans into the kiss blissfully. Applejack pulls her hooves around Rainbows neck, and Rainbow Dash pulls her hooves around Applejack's lower back. The two's kiss last's much longer than the first, and they both enjoy every second of it. Slowly, they pull away slightly and look into each others eyes.

"Applejack? I... I didn't expect..." Rainbow Dash trails off.

"Neither did I." Applejack admits. "I reckon this means that I love you too Dash," Applejack says.

"But, I thought you only liked stallions?" Rainbow says.

"I thought so too, but I've also never thought about mares that way. I think that I still like stallions, but I think I like mares too. I like you dash, and I'd love it if you could be my special somepony," Applejack says sincerely. Her thoughts go to all the friendly competition and playful actions made between two friends. She had liked Dash then too, she just hadn't noticed it. She should have known sooner, but she was too stubborn. That's in the past now, now she just has to accept her feelings for Dash as they are.

"Yes, yes, yes! A thousand times yes!" Rainbow nuzzles deeply into Applejack's chest and Applejack rests her head on Dash's. They stay like that for a while, Applejack mulls over her emotions for Dash. It's all new territory to her, so there's a good amount of disorientation. Applejack simply smiles at the thought, she'll get through it. With no small amount of help from her new marefriend.

~~~~~~~

"Whoa, Star. Nice hair," I smile at Scootaloo's compliment as I open the door to the Boutique.

"Thanks," I reply. There are magenta streaks of color in my hair now, they match my eyes. I gesture for Scootaloo to come in and she obliges.

"Is Scoots here? Oh, you are. Hurry up, Sweetie! We don't wanna be late!" Applebloom yells up the stairs. There's some random thumping, scraping, and banging upstairs. Sweetie walks down the stairs innocently, like nothing happened.

"What was that?" Applebloom asks incredulously.

"What was what?" Sweetie Belle asks in confusion.

"All that- you know what? Never mind, I don't care no more. Let's just hurry up and go. Scootaloo's Scooter is still dead, so we'll have to walk." Applebloom says.

"I thought you were getting a new magical battery?" Sweetie Belle says.

"I meant to do it yesterday, but I forgot in all the excitement." Scootaloo sighs.

"Enough dilly-dallying! We don't want to be late!" Applebloom says.

"Relax Bloom, we have thirty minutes to get there. And it's not that far," I tell her.

"Ain't no problem in being careful," Applebloom defends, I just roll my eyes as we walk out the door. We head in the direction of the school, making our way slowly but surely. Then I see a pony I was hoping I wouldn't have to see yet, Diamond Tiara.

"Hey there Cutie Markless Losers, still as lame as ever?" Diamond Tiara approaches our group, flanked by none other than Silver Spoon. "And who's this? Another poor filly you roped into your club?" Diamond Tiara looks at me curiously, then a hint of recognition hits her. "Star? Oh, you looked a lot like a filly. I should've known that nopony would be stupid enough to join your club," Diamond Tiara scoffs.

"Tiara, look." Silver Spoon points at my flank and Diamond Tiara notices.

"Oh, Star, you have your cutie mark! What are you doing hanging with these losers when you could be hanging with us?" Diamond Tiara bumps Scootaloo away from me and looks at the mark quizzically.

"Hey!" Scootaloo detests.

"What's your talent, Star?" Silver Spoon asks in confusion.

"Modeling as a filly," I say nervously.

"A filly?" Diamond Tiara mulls this over. "Makes sense, why wouldn't you want to be a filly? All the glamorous and upper-class positions are suited for mares. Look at the princesses for example!" Diamond Tiara exclaims, my mouth drops open in shock. Of all the ponies to be accepting, Diamond Tiara was the last pony I expected. "Modeling huh? It's obvious that's a high class profession, meaning you're fit to be as fabulous as us. Why don't you ditch these low class ponies and roll with the ponies of privilege?" Diamond Tiara suggests. I stare at her blankly, completely dumbfounded.

"I'm sorry, but my answer is no." I answer after a while.

"Are you sure you want to throw away a gracious opportunity like this? It may never come again." I nod my head, "Hmph, your loss. Come on Silver, let's ditch these losers." Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon continue walking to the school.

"Was anyone expecting that? Applebloom asks, we all shake our heads. "Yeah, thought not..." Applebloom says. I shake myself out of my stupor and continue walking to the school house, the others follow after.

"So, are we going to talk about what just happened?" Sweetie Belle asks.

"It happened, what more is there to talk about?" Applebloom asks.

"It's totally not like her! She always finds the smallest stuff to insult us about, how could she not be a bigot?" Sweetie points out.

"The great Neighpoleon once said, never interrupt your enemies when they're making a mistake." Scootaloo says, we all stop and look at her. She stops and looks back at us, "What?" She asks in confusion.

I shake my head, "despite how strange it is, Scootaloo's right. Let's not question blessings," I say with finality.

"What do you mean strange?" Scootaloo accuses, "I'm right tons of times!" Scootaloo defends, striking a self-righteous pose.

"Yeah right, your plans end in one of two things. Property damage, or tree sap." Applebloom scoffs.

"That's not entirely true! And you girls plans aren't any better," Scootaloo grumbles.

"She's got a point you know," Sweetie Belle agrees. Applebloom just rolls her eyes in response, we continue to the school house. We arrive with seven minutes or so to spare, I take this time to ready my supplies. I pull my notebooks out of my cubby and set them on my desk, I also grab my pencils and set them out. Miss Cheerilee enters and sees me, she looks at me in surprise.

"Excuse me, miss? Are you a new student here?" Cheerilee asks.

"No, I've been a student for a while Cheerilee. I'm just a little different," Cheerilee looks at me in confusion. "It's me, Star Soar," I tell her.

"Star Soar? Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't recognize you with the new... look. Are those contacts?" Cheerilee asks in confusion.

"No, that's just my eye color now." I respond, hopping back to my seat. More students start to pile into the building, a lot of whispers. I can make out a few, but a lot go unrecognizable.

"Who's the new filly?" Somepony asks.

"That's Star Soars seat," Somepony points out.

"Look at her cutie mark, what does it mean?" Somepony asks. I slowly duck my head lower as the whispers go on, everypony eventually gets seated. Cheerilee thrusts her attention to the board as she starts the lesson, everypony looks at her quizzically.

"Miss Cheerilee, aren't you gonna introduce the new filly?" A young colt I know as Rumble asks. Cheerilee looks over nervously at me and then at Rumble.

"You all know Star Soar," Cheerilee says.

"Star Soar? That's a filly, isn't it?" A random filly from the far side of the room asks.

"No, I see the resemblance now. He looks way different now, what's up with his eyes? They were yellow before, right?" The whole class mumbles agreement with the random colt who points that out.

"He's got a cutie mark now," somepony else points out.

"Oh yeah, what does it mean Star?" Somepony asks. Everypony looks at me expectantly, I shrink under their gaze.

"My talent is modeling, as a filly," I say. If I had a bit for every time I've said that...

"As a filly?" Somepony questions.

"What, like dresses? But, you're a colt." Somepony else points out, they're all giving me weird looks. Even Cheerilee looks a little confused, but no one looks disgusted.

"Is that why you look like a filly now?" Rumble asks.

"Y-yeah," I answer shakily.

"Ok, class. If we could just get back to the lesson," Cheerilee taps the board with a hoof and everyone turns back to her, she sighs in relief. I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding, things are going okay. They don't really understand, but they don't hate me for being the way I am. Really, that's all I could ask for. I remember that theres a lesson happening, so I pay attention to Miss Cheerilee. I manage to pay attention at just the right moment to hear her instructions, apparently we're doing some sort of project today.

"Ok, class. For this project we'll be learning about the Dichotomous key. This basically means categorizing things down until we have just one thing in each category, for this we'll have a demonstration. Everypony will participate, so get up." We all get out of our desks and look at Cheerilee expectantly. "Okay, now the first and most obvious way to divide this big group is gender. Now, fillies on the right side, colts on the left," the class divides among itself and I automatically walk to the right side. Miss Cheerilee notices, she walks over to me.

"Star, you're on the wrong side. You're a colt," Miss Cheerilee says.

"But, I feel like a filly," I reason nervously.

"But you aren't, you're a colt," Miss Cheerilee insists, "therefore, you must be over there." Cheerilee motions, so I hang my head and start to move. Even if I feel like a filly, I'll never be accepted as one.

"I say she stays over here," Diamond Tiara says, ever the defiant one. "My daddy says I can be whatever I want when I grow up, why can't she? If she wants to be a filly, she can be a filly," Diamond Tiara says, I look at her in shock and thanks.

"But HE is not a filly, he's a colt. However much he may think otherwise," Cheerilee insists.

"A famous thinker, Reign Carts, is well known for a famous quote. I think, therefore I am. In Stars case, she is a filly." Scootaloo speaks up, everypony looks at her strangely. She just scoffs and rolls her eyes at the gestures.

"Scoots is right, and I think all the ponies here agree." Applebloom says, everypony shakes their head. Diamond Tiara looks at Cheerilee smugly, glad to have won this argument. Cheerilee looks nervously at all the students, knowing that she's fighting a losing battle. She relents and returns to giving out instructions, there are no more disputes. Eventually, everypony is alone. Everypony divided into their own unique category, making us all different. We all have similar over-arching categories, but we are all still individuals. We all are different, and similar in some regards.

I look over at Scootaloo, Applebloom, and Sweetie Belle. Each one different than the last, yet they all have so much in common. I look at Diamond Tiara, I wouldn't have thought that she would defend me. Though, she wasn't really doing it to defend me, I know she was just arguing for the sake of arguing. She does it all the time, I'm still going to thank her for it later. I don't like her all that much, but I think that I could. I wish that we could be friends, all of us. Sweetie, Bloom, Scoots, Me, Silver Spoon, and Diamond Tiara. It's wishful thinking, I know that it isn't going to happen.

I can still hope though, can't I?

~~~~~~~

"Thanks a lot for helping me back there, Scoots." I tell her as we're packing up our stuff to leave.

"It was nothing, im surprised miss Cheerilee bought that." Scootaloo replies.

"What do you mean?" I ask in confusion.

"What I said wasn't true, not fully at least," Scootaloo scoffs at the thought.

"You mean you made it up?" I gasp.

"No, there really was a famous thinker Reign Carts that said that, but that's not what he meant. He used it to prove his existence in the universe," Scootaloo waves a hoof in exaggeration. "I figured Miss Cheerilee wouldn't think about it intensely, and she didn't. But hey, if it works," Scootaloo grabs her helmet from her cubby and her scooter from the corner. "See ya later Star," I just nod numbly back. I didn't realize Scootaloo knew so much, I give her less credit than she deserves.

I head outside and Applebloom heads out alongside me, we both stop before we go much farther. Applejack is waiting at the gate. My ears fold back instinctually and I avert my eyes, lest I catch any of the hateful glares she's giving me. I don't see Appleblooms face, but if I had to imagine I'd say she's pretty mad. I feel her direct me away from Applejack, but Applejack notices and calls out.

"Applebloom, Star!" Her voice doesn't sound angry, it sounds sort of sad. It sounds almost, regretful. I look over to her, anxiety filling my veins. I can feel my body shaking all over as I see Applejack galloping towards us, Applebloom has planted herself firmly between us.

"Go away sis! We have nothing to say to you!" Applebloom demands, Applejack stops just a few paces away. I look up and see Rainbow Dash hovering close behind her, she flashes me a cocky smile. I look at Applejack and I don't see an angry mare, I see a sorry pony. I walk out from behind Applebloom a little more as Applejack collects her thoughts.

"I'm so sorry Bloom, Star. Words can't express how sorry I am. I was a plum awful pony and I couldn't even see that because of my own stubbornness. I owe you more than an apology Star... if theres anything you could ever need, I'll try my hardest to help you get it. You're welcome on the farm anytime, and you'll always be welcome in the Apple household." Applejack says, my eyes widen in shock at her apology. Applebloom is in a similar state, but she manages to shake herself out of it first.

"What made y'all change your mind?" Applebloom asks in suspicion.

"A couple of things, this being one of them," Applejack reaches up and plucks Rainbow Dash from the sky, catching her in surprise. Applejack then pulls her into a passionate kiss, rainbow stops fighting it after a few seconds. Applebloom and I just stand there, completely dumbfounded. Eventually they stop and Rainbow pulls away quickly.

"Applejack! I thought we were going to take it slow," Rainbow scolds, her cheeks are burning bright red.

"Since when does Equestrias fastest pegasus take anything slow? Besides, I haven't heard anything about taking it slow. Applebloom has a right to know what's going on in my life," Applejack says decisively.

"You should tell Scootaloo too, she'll be glad to know that you finally got together," I tell her.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll go tell scoots in a sec- hold on. What do you mean finally? You four knew?!" Rainbow asks incredulously.

"No, just her. She didn't tell us anything until recently," Applebloom explains.

"Wait, just Scootaloo? How did she...?" Rainbow trails off. "Hey AJ, you good handling these two on your own? Okay, thanks, bye!" Rainbow Dash is gone in ten seconds flat, we try to wave away the dust she leaves in her wake.

"Star?" I freeze as I hear my fathers voice behind me. I turn slowly and find him looking at me in confusion, he shakes his head and looks at me with regret. "I know you might not think highly of me right now... but I wanted to apologize anyway. I... panicked, because I was afraid. It's no excuse, nothing can excuse what I did. It's an explanation, just to let you know I didn't mean what I said." I look at him in shock, then at applejack.

"It seems like there are more ponies that want your forgiveness, if you're willing to give it." Applejack says. I look back at my father, then I rush up and embrace his leg in a hug.

"I forgive you, both of you," I say. I feel his hoof on my back, stroking it comfortably. It's the acceptance I had wanted.

Things were tough for a while there, but the worst has passed. I'll still have to deal with lots of judgement from ponies, like cheerilee, but I have my friends and family now. That's really all I ever needed, their acceptance. That's all anypony really needs, especially if they're planning on making adjustments

Author's Note:

I took forever to get this, and I'm sorry! School, and college, and stuff. Also, I was trying to think about the story and where I wanted it to go. I realized I didnt want to draw it out too long. Instead I went for the short to the point story. But... there will be one more chapter. Sometime... it'll be an epilogue of sorts. And I realize the story was very... fast. I probably should have drawn it out more, but... I digress.