• Published 16th Jul 2014
  • 3,954 Views, 99 Comments

P.O.N.Y. - SAmaster



A crossover between My Little Pony, and RWBY. Human versions of the MLP cast. RWBYverse version of Equestria. Twilight attends Starswirl Academy to become a Huntress, along with her team must overcome various trials.

  • ...
14
 99
 3,954

The Visitor pt. 2

“Ice-Cream!” Derpy cried as she carried frigid delicious bowls of the sugary substance in her arms to her teammates.

After returning safely from the Everfree Forest Headmistress Celestia dismissed all the students for the rest of the day. Looking for a place to settle down and coordinate both teams plus shining found themselves in Sugarcube Corner relaxing on frozen desserts.

“Have as much as you like everyone!” Pinkie Pie announced. “It’s on the house!”

“No its not!” Mr. and Mrs. Cake both stated far away in the kitchens.

Meanwhile Shining finished his story to his two siblings, the three of them sharing their own table towards the back.

“I am glad I managed to find you and your team before anything happened.”

“Oh please, I could have handled anything on my own.” Twilight said.

“Those Grimm seemed really agitated.” Shining stated.

“And you didn’t see the look on Celestia’s face when she found out the security had gone down.” Spike added.

“Look, its not that I don’t appreciate either of your concerns-“ Twilight told her brothers. “But I can take care of myself. I’m training to be a huntress. A rather good one at that. I can take care of myself.”

Shining sighed. “Yeah, you’re right, I guess it’s just that it’s been so long since I’ve seen you I can’t help but worry. You did seem to do a good job out there.”

Twilight shined under the admiration. “Well thank you. At least I’m not the one that ran off with the army. Do you know how much Mom and Dad worry about you?”

“Says the girl who wants to be a monster slayer.” Spike added. “Its gotten to the point where I couldn’t even risk my life if I wanted to.”

“Oh like you’d choose to do anything that required the least bit of effort.” Shining said rubbing his younger siblings hair. “Anyway though, what should we do while I’m here? I only have the week left before I’m redeployed. I already stopped off in Canterlot to see my friends there and the folks. I want to make sure I catch up with both of you before I go.”

“But what about your new friends in Ponyville?” Someone asked as they grabbed Shining from behind. He turned to see that it was his temporary roommate Vinyl.

“Hello Vinyl.” He responded.

“So who is this?” Twilight asked.

“Acquaintance.” Shining said before Vinyl could come up with something outrageous to say. “I bumped into her on my way to find you, and my scroll fell in the fountain, which of course had the only way I had to contact you, so she and her roommate let me stay with her until I could find you.”

“Is that so.” Twilight said, adjusting her glasses and glancing distrustfully at Vinyl.

“And Octavia promises that she’ll get your Scroll fixed and returned to you before you leave. She even offered to use her own money.”

“I’m sure she did.” Shining said.

Rainbow Dash arrived on the scene to add in her two cents. “So… Twilight Shining-”

“Nice to meet you.”

Rainbow Dash moved her attention to Shinings younger brother. “Twilight Spike-”

“Yep.”

And finally her attention rested on her teammate. “So that makes you-”

“Yes.” Twilight said, cutting her off before she could begin. “My family name is Twilight and my given name is Sparkle.”

Vinyl couldn’t help but snicker at this, muttering under her breath- “Sparkle.” Meanwhile Rainbow Dash kept an enormous smug grin on her face.

“You never told any of us that before.” Rainbow Dash said.

“That's not an accident.” Spike said between mouthfuls of ice-cream. “She’s been like that ever since- how long do you figure Shining?”

“I think… since the end of Magic Kindergarten probably.”

“Yeah. Makes sure everyone calls her by her last name. Only our parents can really get away with calling her Sparkle.”

“But why?” Vinyl asked, leaning over Shining. “Sparkle sounds like such a pretty peppy name.”

Twilight glanced at both Rainbow Dash and Vinyl and adjusted her glasses before responding. “Its simply a personal preference, and it makes me sound like an air-headed cheerleader.”

“What’s wrong with being a cheerleader?” Pinkie Pie asked upon coming to the table to refill Spike’s bowl. She was gone before anyone could answer her question.

“Anyway-” Rainbow Dash said. “You never mentioned you had another brother.”

“Neither have you big guy.” Vinyl said referring to Shining. “This ones a bit of a looker too.”

“You didn’t mention me?” Spike asked rather upset.

“I must have.” Shining said.

“Nope.” Vinyl told him. “Though he’s a little bit on the small side for my liking.”

“Hey! I’m a growing boy!” Spike protested as he shoved more ice-cream into his mouth. He turned his gaze to Shining. “I can’t believe you didn’t mention to me your new friends.”

“I’m sorry Spike, I promise I’ll make it up to you.”

“Yeah, well we’ll see.”

“So how come you never mentioned this guy?” Rainbow Dash asked again.

“Would saying that you never asked be a simple enough answer?” Twilight responded.

“You know… now that I look at the three of you-” Vinyl said adjusting her own shades. “Tiny Twilight doesn’t really look much like the two of you.”

“I’m not Tiny.” Spike grumbled into his bowl.

“Spikes adopted.” Shining said.

“Oh.” Rainbow Dash said.

“Don’t worry about it.” Spike told her, wiping some of his ice-cream off his mouth with his sleeve. “It's no big deal. Its not like its ever meant anything really.”

Shining nodded. “Yeah, we’re family all the same.”

“Quiet you.” Spike said, going back into his bowl. “I’m still mad at you for not mentioning me to your friends.”

***

The three siblings left the impromptu party early, just before the karaoke session started, as each of them agreed they deserved some rest. Shining finally found out where his brother and sister were staying and remarked on how fitting it was that Twilight finally got to live at a library.

“I know right!” Spike said.

“Haha.” Twilight said joylessly as she entered through the doors. “We should tell Mrs. Ink-Spot about you showing up. She’s in charge of the Library, the Headmistress was the one who set up a deal with her.”

“Well she’s probably not around here this late.” Spike stated. “Sides, it can wait until the morning.”

“I suppose.” Twilight said. “Let's show him to our room.” She said, leading her elder brother into the main reading room in the large oak tree that dominated the library, and up the spiral staircase to where their room was. “Here we are. Unfortunately we only have the two beds.” She said upon surveying the room. She glanced at her two brothers and very slightly blushed. “I guess if need be… you and I could share a bed.”

Shining took a look at the bed's himself, putting down his rifle by the door and proposed his own solution. “How about me and Spike share the larger bed, and you sleep in Spikes bed?”

“How come I don’t get to get my own bed?” Spike asked.

“Because there’d be more room if you and I shared a bed, and besides Twilight might be our sister, but she’s still a girl.” Shining told him. “That sound fair?” He asked Twilight.

Twilight mulled it over. “Yeah… yeah that seems fair.” She consented. “Well I suppose we should settle down. Spike and I still have classes tomorrow, assuming that the Headmistress doesn’t count them, and you must still be tired.”

“Yeah.” Shining said. “We can figure out what we want to do tomorrow.”

***

The next day Spike went to the Academy alongside Twilight. Shining was left to sleep in at the Golden Oaks library. There were no notices on their scrolls, so they saw that indeed it was business as usual for the academy despite the hiccup yesterday.

Spike went up to the Headmistress’ Office, and found her staring intently on her scroll. “Hey Boss?” He said, trying to get her attention.

“Oh Spike!” The Headmistress lifted her attention from her scroll to her young assistant, and quickly put away her device.

“You okay?” Spike asked, putting away his backpack. “You seem… distracted.”

Celestia quickly regained her elegant composure and gave a reassuring smile to Spike. “Its okay Spike, I was just reviewing some data about what happened today. I’ve managed to have everything sorted out however, it's nothing you should concern yourself with.”

Spike nodded. He wasn’t stupid, he could tell when people were keeping things from him, more often than you’d think, but he let people think that he was buying what they were selling. If someone, including Celestia, didn’t want to tell him something, then that was fine by him. He knew if that were the case he probably couldn’t do much anyway.

Still though, that wouldn’t stopping him from helping anyway. He’d let Celestia keep whatever it was under wraps. For now.

“Alright then. Do want some coffee before we get started on our work today?”

Celestia gave another, more honest, smile to Spike. “I would appreciate that greatly.”

***

Twilight wasted no time in returning to the Golden Oaks library. She had spent all her spare time that day trying to compose a schedule of events for her and Spike and Shining to do during his stay in Ponyville. She herself had neglected to explore much of the city while she was here, so this would probably be a good experience for all three of them.

She returned with Spike to find that Shining had already made his acquaintance with Mrs. Ink-Spot, and was making himself useful while he waited for Twilight and Spike to return.

“Hey there guys!” He said, broom in hand, sweeping the floors while Mrs. Ink-Spot beamed at the young man, and the good job he was doing cleaning the Library. “As you can see I’ve acquainted myself with the kindly old librarian.”

“Oh please!” Mrs. Ink-Spot admonished as she sipped her tea. “I’m not nearly so kindly.” She then turned to Twilight and Spike. "I had no idea we'd have company over! If I did, I might have been able to prepare.”

“That was mostly because we didn’t know.” Spike told the Librarian, dumping his bag at the earliest opportunity. “Until Twilight bumped into him while she was fighting a Deathstalker.”

“Ooh! Sounds exciting!” Mrs. Ink-Spot said.

“It was Florence!” Shining told her.

“… its good to see that you’ve made yourself comfortable here.” Twilight noted. “Well get ready, I have a whole days of plans scheduled for us to do.”

Shining beamed at his sister. “That's my Twily. Always ready with a set of lists. Is it okay if I leave then Florence?”

Mrs. Ink-Spot waved him off, setting down her tea. “Oh, you’ve done more than your fair share here today Shining. You came here to spend time with your family after all, I certainly won’t keep you from that.”

“Thanks Florence. Well I’ll just grab my jacket, and we’ll be off.” Shining put away the broom, and grabbed his red military jacket that had been hanging on the coat-rack. He waved goodbye to Mrs. Ink-Spot as they left the Library, and entered the beautiful warm day that awaited him as his siblings. “Such a nice lady. So Twily, what is the plan for today then?”

Twilight smiled, bringing out her Scroll that had all of her plans installed in it. “Well, I thought maybe we could go shopping.”

“Shopping?” Spike asked.

Twilight nodded. “Ponyville apparently has a rather splendid marketplace. There are some sights to see, we could maybe grab some snacks, and Shining could find some souvenirs.”

“Alright, sounds great!” Shining enthused. “Lead the way then.”

Twilight guided her brothers from the Golden Oaks library, through the various scenery of Ponyville, along the streets and canals towards the Marketplace. Along the way they caught each-other up on stories of their lives, Shining told his siblings stories from his time in the army, and Spike told his older brother about his time at Starswirl Academy.

“It’s a little odd not taking any combat classes while everyone else in my classes do, but hey, it’s always nice to get free periods, and the less I work the better.” Spike told him. “And some of the people there are fun. There are these two guys, Snips and Snails? They’re a riot!”

“Good to see you’re having such a good time here.” Shining said. “What about you Twily?”

“What about me?” Twilight asked as she looked up from her Scroll which she was using as a map.

“Are you having as much fun here?”

“Oh definitely!” Twilight said. “The classes are engaging, the assignments are challenging, and I’m learning something new everyday!”

“Uh-huh.” Shining said, accustomed to Twilight's love of school. “What about your teammates? Have they been good friends to you thus far?”

Twilight was quiet after that, directing her attention back to her Scroll. “I think we’re here.”

Just as she said they had entered the Marketplace without their really knowing. It was full of market-goers flitting from one stall hawking its wares to another. Storefronts lined either side of the street, with trees applied liberally throughout to provide shade, and various banners and streamers hung overhead blowing in the breeze to give the place a festive air.

“Sweet.” Spike remarked. “Where to first? I don’t know about you guys, but I could really use some more candy to add to my stash.”

“You are going to rot your teeth out one day.” Shining said disparagingly.

“Yeah whatever.” Spike said grumpily. “Like you’re one to talk, I don’t ever see you eat anything healthy.”

“Yeah, well-” Shining tried to retort. His eyes settled on a produce stand. “Just you watch.” With that he marched to the stand, and paid a few bits for a juicy red apple. “See?” He asked Spike. “Healthy.” And with that he took a bite.

“Alright, well if you two are done-” Twilight interjected. “Shall we get started?”

“Get started what?” Shining asked between munching his apple.

“Walking? And stuff?” Twilight said, starting a pace down the street.

“What's the hurry? Spike asked upon catching up with her. “We have all day.”

“I know.” Twilight said.

The three went up the street, continuing their idle chatter and perusing each stall and store-fronts wares doing to the best of their abilities to enjoy one another's company. Shining then deposited his apple-core in a nearby bin once he had finished with his snack.

“Ah, what a delicious and nutritious treat!” Shining said, patting his belly.

“You can quit the act you know, I’m not buying it.” Spike told his elder brother.

“Well it was rather tasty.” Shining confessed. “Produce on frontier towns always are. Hey that reminds me Twily, one of your teammates is from the Apple Clan, right?”

Twilight nodded. “Applejack.”

“Small world, I met some of the Manehattan branch while I was stationed there.” Shining explained. “Nice people, if really snooty. Would not want to get on their bad side though. What's your teammate like?”

“Stubborn.” She said in a word. “Not too long ago she was overworking herself at her own plantation, she started sleeping through classes, and ended up skipping a few days. It took the entire team, her family, and her collapsing in front of us for her to buckle down, get some sleep, and pay attention to classes.”

Shining gave an impressed whistle. “Well… if she’s a hard worker, at least I know you’re in capable hands.”

Twilight decided not to give a rebuttal to that.

“Candy!” Spike cried upon spying a sweet shop, which he promptly raced to.

It was a small, tiny place, crammed in the space between two buildings, with only enough space on the front for a door and a small window that had on display several sweets, candies, and sugary treats, with a solitary table with an umbrella waiting on the outside.

Over the door frame hung a sign labeling the shop as ‘Sweetie Drops Confectionary’.

Spike rushed inside and was accompanied by his brother and sister. The inside had candy crammed in every available space, on shelves that lined every inch of the walls, hanging from the ceiling, in boxes and barrels, in cots and containers, and many a jar, every kind of sugary delight that one could imagine, crammed into as little space as possible.

The only place that was clear was the floor, and a small space on the counter that held a cash-register and a bell. Spike wasted no time in ringing the bell incessantly until someone appeared to service him.

Said someone emerged unseen from behind the counter, her hair ruffled and her clothes disheveled. “Yes!” She said somewhat grumpily.

“Where do you keep the rock-candy?” Spike asked.

“To the back.”

“Thanks.” And with that Spike ran off to rummage through several containers of sugar.

“Bon-Bon?” Shining asked when he got a good look at the server. She was dressed how she typically was, save for the addition of an apron that held a name-tag on it.

“Yes? Oh, Shining was it?” Bon-Bon asked. She looked over to glance and Spike and Twilight. “I see you are out with your family, and stumbled upon my family’s sweet shop by accident?”

“Yeah, pretty much.” Shining said. “Hey, what were you doing behind that counter-”

“I can answer that!” Cried Lyra popping out from behind Bon-Bon. Bon-Bon quickly clasped her hand over Lyra’s mouth.

“No she can’t!” Bon-Bon cried with a rather strained smile on her face. “Forgive me, I’m expecting a delivery soon, and my nerves aren’t helped by running the store by myself, and having my ‘friend’ here come to the store to try to barter free sweets from me.”

“No problems.” Shining said, while Twilight readjusted her glasses. “Anything we could help with?”

“Shining-” Twilight moaned. “We’re here spend time with each-other, not do other people's chores.”

“However-” Lyra interjected. “If you did want to do our chores, we wouldn’t say no.”

“Ignore her.” Bon-Bon said. “I can take care of the delivery myself, and as you can see the store-front is hardly busy in the mean-time.”

“And I return!” Boasted Spike as he came back with bags bulging with his favored sweet under his arms hoisting them onto the counter.

Shining raised an eyebrow at Spike’s hoard. “I hope you don’t expect either of us to pay for all that.”

“The boss gives me my own spending money you know.” Spike said, grabbing his wallet.

“Which he spends on nothing but food and comic-books.” Twilight told him.

“Of course.” Shining said.

Bon-Bon rang up Spike’s purchase for him, while Lyra absentmindedly sucked on a lollipop. The two said their good-bye’s to the Twilights, and Spike left with his wallet much lighter, but his arms bulging with rock-candy.

They took approximately two paces before crashing into something.

“Ew!” Twilight cried, trying to disentangle herself from the mess, covered in some sticky liquid.

“Hey!” Cried a raspy and familiar voice. “Watch where you are going egghead!”

“You watch where you’re going!” Twilight cried back. She found that she was covered in honey, and at the sight of an upturned cart. Two of her teammates were standing over her, Rainbow Dash was glaring at them, while Fluttershy was cowering behind her like usual. Spike stood to the side, happily munching on his recently purchased sugar, watching the scene.

Bon-Bon and Lyra swiftly stuck their heads out of the door to see the commotion. “You have got to be kidding me…” Bon-Bon despaired.

Shining helped his sister back on her feet, getting his hand sticky with honey for his trouble. “You okay?”

“Just… sticky and gross…. blegh!”

“You going to do something about this?” Rainbow Dash raised at Twilight, her temper flaring. “We had to do a lot of work to get all this honey, and it's probably ruined now!”

“My parents are never going to trust me again.” Bon-Bon despaired some more. Lyra patted her on the back in an attempt to comfort her.

“I’m covered in Honey.” Twilight said, taking off her now useless glasses, so covered in the sickly sweet syrup that they were useless as a visionary correction implement. “I think that is punishment enough.”

Rainbow Dash fumed. “We needed this money at the shelter!”

“You can still sell the stuff that isn’t broken can’t you.” Twilight shot back, clearly not enjoying herself right now.

“Hey- hey, lets not fight here.” Shining stated, trying to play intermediary. “Look, we’re sorry about the honey, is there a way we can make it up to you?”

Rainbow Dash looked at them, cross, before Fluttershy whispered something into her ear. “You sure?” Rainbow Dash asked, to which Fluttershy nodded firmly. “Okay then. We could use some extra help at the shelter. You guys come over and take care of some things, and we’ll call it even.”

“That sound excellent.” Shining said before Twilight could object. “We’ll be there early tomorrow, is that fine.”

“... fine.” Rainbow Dash grumbled.

“Good, now with that sorted out, lets do something for Twily and her clothes. We’ll see you two later.” Shining said, escorting his sister down the street. Spike decided to follow them.

That left Lyra and Bon-Bon staring at the upturned honey cart. “So…” Lyra said. “Want to see what's salvageable?”

***

“I think today might be ruined.” Twilight disparaged, stickiness permeating every part of her body she could feel. It was beginning to dry and harden under the warm sun.

“I don’t know, I think we could salvage it.” Shining said. “We just need to find a place to wash you off, and get you some new clothes.”

“It would be nice to see you in something other than a sweater-vest.” Spike added, tagging along behind them.

“What’s wrong with sweater-vests?” Twilight asked defensively.

“Did I say there was something wrong with sweater-vests?” Spike jabbed.

“Look, here’s a clothing store.” Shining said, pointing to a humble, yet regal boutique. “Lets see if we can do anything here.”

The three entered the doors of the Carousel Boutique into its perfumed interior. Twilight despaired at all the dresses that lined the walls and mannequins that were far too fancy and frilly for her more practical tastes, but bit her tongue owing to her need to change and change quickly.

The store clerk soon noticed them, and wasted no time in tottering over in her heels to assist them. “Why hello there! How may I be of service to you today- oh Twilight? Is that you?”

“Rarity?” Twilight asked. 'As if today couldn’t get more sidetracked.’

“Oh how pleasant to see you here!~” Rarity gushed. “You brought your brothers to see where I work, how sweet of you!” Rarity gave Twilight another look. “Oh my, whatever happened to you darling?”

“Honey.” Twilight grumbled. “You work here?”

“Of course, I’ve mentioned it at lunch haven’t I?” Rarity said. “Oh we must do something about your state, you’ll need a full change of clothes, and my yes, a bath certainly.”

“Oh, I don’t think that will be necessary-” Twilight said, her need to spend the least amount of time with her teammate beginning to outweigh her need to rid herself of her sugar-coated state.

“Yes it will!” Spike cropped up. “I mean, R-Rarity is being awfully nice, it would be rude to say no when she’s being so generous. Right Shining?” Shining nodded. Spike elbowed him in the ribs. “I said right Shining?”

“Ow, yes, yes!” Shining said.

“Then its settled then!” Rarity cheered. She took only a moment to find the one part of Twilights that wasn’t covered in honey, and led her away, promising all kinds of girly makeovers.

A hush descended on Shining and Spike as they watched Rarity apparate their sister away.

“So you have a crush on this girl then.” Shining surmised.

“Big time.”

***

They unintentionally spent the rest of the day at the Carousel Boutique. Rarity put Twilight through an entire makeover, in addition to being given a bath, Rarity did the astute students hair and even makeup, which Twilight was typically loathe to wear, and clothed her in a selection right from Rarity’s own wardrobe, taking Twilight sullied clothes and promising to wash them herself.

Twilight staggered out of the Carousel in heels she was unaccustomed to, often having to lean on either of her brothers in case she tripped, (along with a pair of jeans Twilight marveled Rarity could fit on her, a purple tank-top and a white jacket Twilight had buttoned all the way) back to the Golden Oaks Library, eager to rest for the day.

They were up early the next day to fulfill the promise Shining made to Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy to help at their shelter. Fluttershy had remembered to write down some directions for them.

The walk there was pleasant enough, though Twilight was making it plain that she wished to get their obligations to the animal shelter out of the way so she could back to her scheduled events with her older brother, especially after how yesterday’s plans had been derailed. The two of them, Shining and Twilight, went past the more urban areas of Ponyville closer to the undeveloped lands that were mostly used as a kind of unofficial park, on the opposite end of Ponyville where the wall separated them from the Everfree Forest. Largely a small series of hills, plains, trees, ponds and streams.

When they found the small cottage, that only had a small signpost to signify its role, Shining knocked on the front door. After a few minutes of waiting, he tried knocking again, and ringing the doorbell a few times.

Rainbow Dash greeted them at the door, with a frown on her face. “What are you two doing here?”

“We’re here to lend a hand like you asked, remember?” Shining said.

“Let me rephrase that- what are you two doing here so early!? Its sunrise!” Rainbow Dash stated, shielding her eyes from the early morning sunbeams that landed on her face. Her current state of dress also hinted she may have just gotten out of bed, dressed in a simple blue sleeveless shirt, and a pair of shorts.

“We said we’d be early.” Twilight said. “And the sooner we can get your pardon, the sooner I can get back to spending time with my brother before he’s shipped to who knows where.”

Rainbow Dash face stayed scrunched, but she let them inside the shelter, nonetheless. She lead them to the pastures where they kept the animals, and rattled off a short list of things that needed done, and then took shelter back inside, probably to try to get some more sleep.

Twilight gave a short sigh, and tried to get to work. While she was a stranger to most forms of manual labor, much more fond of books, and study, and cerebral activities to gettting her hands dirty, she truly was eager to spend quality time with Shining Armor.

Shining Armor meanwhile took to the work quickly and easily, not as much perturbed as his sister was about the situation.

Time passed by quickly enough until they were well into the morning, the sun no longer simply peeking above the horizon.

“Maybe we should rest for a bit.” Shining suggested, leaning on the fence he had just finished repairing.

“I’d like that.” Twilight said, having accrued more dirt on her hands in the past few hours than she typically did in a month.

They rested like that for a several minutes, sweating under the heat of the sun. They’d made good work since they arrived, but neither Rainbow Dash or Fluttershy had come to relieve them. As they rested on the fence, they spotted someone gradually making their way towards the shelter. Eventually he passed them by while they sat on the fence. He gave the two an odd look.

He was probably the same age as Twilight, a rather short lean man, though of relatively short stature. He was a faunus, a Jack-Rabbit Faunus to be exact. A set of horns protruded from his forehead, and along pair of rabbit ears stuck up high in the air. His features were fair, he had a dark set of eyes, and a small button nose, his hair, white, was put in a short ponytail. His clothes were all white as well, though littered with work-stains, a pair of cargo pants, and a plain t-shirt.

“Hey there.” Shining greeted him.

“... what are you doing here?” He asked.

“Volunteering.”

After a brief stare-down the stranger then proceeded into the shelter.

“Well that was odd.” Shining remarked.

After a few minutes the two heard some ruckus inside the shelter, and then out popped Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy, with Rainbow Dash dragging the newcomer behind her. “Angel, this is Egghead and Eggheads brother. We needed the help so we dragged them to come over. Egghead and Eggheads brother, this is Angel, he works here with us.”

“Nice to meet you!” Shining said with a smile, extending his hand. Angel kept a glare on him, but accepted the handshake.

“Likewise.” He grumbled.

“Ignore him.” Rainbow Dash said. “He’s a grump.”

“You’re a grump.” He grumbled. “I just would have preferred it if I knew there’d be strangers over here. And it’s Angelo.”

“Oh get over it.” Rainbow Dash told him. “Angel.”

“Anyway, is there more that needs done?” Shining asked. “We cleaned out the stalls, fixed the fence, hosed off the animals, washed the windows, and weeded the garden.”

Rainbow Dash blinked a few times. “She did all that?” She asked, referring to her teammate.

“Well maybe it's more accurate to say that I cleaned out the stalls, fixed the fence, hosed off the animals, washed the windows, and weeded the garden.” Shining surmised. “And I was thinking that the law needed mowing, and that we could put a new coat of paint on everything.”

Rainbow Dash blinked a few more times. Then she turned to Angel. “Didn’t we ask you to mow the lawn last week?”

“I don’t remember.” Angel denied, avoiding eye contact.

“You’re a real go-getter aren’t you?” Rainbow Dash asked Shining.

“I just like being of use to people.” Shining admitted.

“Ahem-” Twilight spoke up. “Don’t you think that we’ve done enough for the day?”

“Nonsense!” Shining said, completely obliviously. “If there’s work to be done, why not do them?”

“I agree with your brother.” Rainbow Dash said. “If you don’t keep on top of these things they’ll pile up until they are out of control.”

“Gee, I wonder how you managed to let so much work accrue up.” Twilight retorted sarcastically.

“You just… just do those things your brother said. .” She stated. Fluttershy tugged at her jacket at whispered some things into her ears. “What?” Fluttershy whispered again. “Aw come on, it's hot out!” This time Fluttershy whispered something that took her a few seconds to complete. “Fine, fine. We’ll help as well.”

“Excellent!” Shining enthused. “Lets not waste any time then.”

And so they went back to work together. Shining was a very good manager, going with Angel to get all the brushes and paints, and hashed out what should be what. Fluttershy, through Rainbow Dash, added her own inputs, but very quickly everyone had a brush in one hand, and a bucket of paint in the other. Soon enough they were finished, sweating in the heat, covered in paint, but not before the day had started growing into noon and everyone was in need of a rest.

“Good work everyone.” Shining praised.

“Can we stop now?” Rainbow Dash whined, almost ready to collapse, though that was mostly for show.

Shining mused, and looked over their hard work before nodding. “Yeah, I think so.”

“Good.” Rainbow said before throwing herself onto the grass.

“Please tell me we are done now.” Twilight said, seeking the shelter of the shade beneath an oak tree.

“Well…” Shining took another look at the pastures. “I think we can just mow the lawn, and then it seems we’ve done all we can. Unless your teammates can think of anything else that can be done.”

They looked at Rainbow Dash who simply groaned into the grass and dirt where her face was currently located.

“That settles it then.” Twilight said with a wry smile. Her time had been wasted enough lately. If they finished early she could still take off items of her checklist of things to do with her brother. And she’d be out of the sun.

“I wonder when Spike will be coming with our lunch.” Shining mused as he joined his sister in the shade.

“Right about now I think.” She answered.

“What makes you say that?”

“I see him down the road.”

Shining turned and saw his little brother carrying along a basket full of goodies to the shelter.

“Amazing timing that Spike.”

Spike waved at his siblings when he caught sight of them. He jogged along the rest of the path until he caught up with them, placing the basket down, and hopping the newly mended fence. “Hey guys, you done yet?” He asked.

“Almost.” Twilight said. “Hopefully.”

“I made you guys sandwiches.” He said, revealing what he brought with him, already sliced and wrapped in napkins. “BLT’s, ham, tuna, the works.”

“Thanks.” The two said, grabbing one for themselves each.

“Hey Fluttershy, hey Rainbow Dash.” Spike said greeting Twilights teammates.

“H-Hello Spike.” Fluttershy mumbled. Rainbow Dash just groaned again.

“You guys want a sandwich?” He offered. “Don’t worry, there’s more than enough for everyone.”

“Um…” Fluttershy hesitated, but nodded. Spike moved the basket over to where she was kneeling and let her peruse it. “Um… I’m a vegetarian.” She explained as she looked over the food.

“Oh sorry, I didn’t make any vegetarian sandwiches.” Spike said. “Maybe next time. I did bring some chips and some soda though.”

Fluttershy nodded, and accepted a can and a bag of potato chips. Rainbow Dash turned her head from the earth slightly to glance at Spike, then to her two new volunteers. “You got your little brother to make you lunch?” She asked.

“I happen to be a decent cook I’ll have you know.” Spike told her. “Mostly because nobody else would bother to cook for me. You want something?”

“Ham.” Rainbow Dash said, going back to planting her face into the grass.

“What about you?” Spike asked, turning to Angel, digging in his basket for Rainbow’s sandwich.

Angel squinted at Spike. “‘Sup.”

“‘Sup.”

“Vegetarian.” Angel told him.

“Spike.” Said, grabbing some soda and chips for the Faunus.

“Angelo.”

“That is an awesome name.” Spike said with awestruck awe in his voice.

“... You really think so?” Angel asked, seeming rather taken with the complement.

“Totally! I mean, I think Spike is still pretty awesome, but your name is still awesome too!”

“Gee… thanks.” Angel said, grabbing the soda with a grin on his face. He opened the soda and it exploded over his face. “Why you little…” Angel spoke with great contempt.

“Sorry! The soda’s must have been shaken up accidentally!”

“Come here!” With that Angel gave chase to Spike around the pasture.

Shining paused as the scene unfolded before him, while his sandwich was half finished. “Should we be concerned?”

Twilight took another bite of her sandwich and adjusted her glasses. “I don’t think so.” She went back to eating her lunch.

The two ran around the pasture, Angel having a surprising amount of energy and stamina to chase Spike around, seeking sweet vengeance, but Spike was both quick and nimble, and managed to evade his grasp. Unfortunately perhaps Spike was too quick and nimble since he managed to make his way into the locked pens.

“No! Um!” Fluttershy tried warn them as the two rapscallions worked their way around the pens. Unfortunately it was not enough as their roughhousing managed to loosen one of the locks, and agitated the animals.

Finally Angel managed to grab Spike by the scruff of his hoodie, and held him close to his caffeinated drenched face. “Gotcha!” He declared. Unfortunately Angel didn’t get to enjoy his moment of victory over they young boy, as one particularly ornery animal finally broke free of the lock holding to the door, and bowled the poor Faunus over in a bid for freedom.

Boris the pig was a gentle enough sort. He liked rolling in the mud, and resting in the sun just like any other pig. He rather liked his home at the shelter as well. He didn’t even mind staying inside his pen when he had to. What Boris the pig didn’t like was having to people making a bunch of noise and ruckus around him when he was trying to sleep. It put him in a mood. And once he got in a mood, he tended to be rather... aggressive.

“Uhm, Twilight?” Shining said.

“Yes?”

“Think we should be concerned now?”

Boris the pig glared at the two, a pair of strangers he didn’t recognize. Boris the pig did not like strangers.

“I think we just might.” Twilight said.

Boris the pig charged, the two siblings fled in either direction, trampling the picnic basket Spike had brought. One of Boris’ underrated skills was the ability to cause a ruckus of his own. He very easily chased everyone around the pasture, even including Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, who he rudely woke up from her rest, keeping them disorganized so they would have trouble ending his rampage.

He bashed against the fence and the pens, spilling the cans of paint that had been left lying everywhere and onto everything. Nothing was left standing.

Shining was the first to recollect his wits. He realized that what was going on was only slightly worse than the artillery fire at Rattlesnake Run. He tried to get Boris’ attention with a hooping and hollering. Something that easily succeeded, since Boris was trying to get everyone to keep quiet so he could sleep. Boris charged, but before he could bowl over Shining, he summoned his shields made of hard-light that Boris crashed upon.

Dazed only for a moment, Boris charged again, and this time Shining gave some ground. Encouraged, Boris kept bashing himself against Shining’s magical shields, as he slowly led Boris back to his pen. Boris steeled himself for one last charge against Shining, confidant this time he would knock him down. At the last second, Shining armor stepped to the side, and Boris charged straight into the pen. Shining quickly shut his pen, and reattached the lock back on. The lock held against Boris renewed efforts for freedom.

Everyone took the reprieve to regain their breath and their bearings. The entire pasture had been wrecked; all their efforts had been rendered nought.

Twilight surveyed the scene before her, and sighed. “We’re going to have to fix everything again, aren’t we?”

***

Their volunteer work ended up lasting long into the afternoon, by the end of which they were too tired to do much except rest at the library. Twilight became more determined to redouble and retriple her efforts back on to her schedule before Shining left Ponyville to return for active duty.

They were to rise early in the morning, all three of them, and follow Twilights schedule to the letter, she was very insistent on that. She had them all lay out their clothes for the day the night before-hand, and wanted to make sure they were each washed and perfumed for the events she had planned, treating it with much gravitas. Spike and Shining didn’t really want to dispute anything, so they went along with her hassle. Twilight even went so far as to decide to bring her Caduceus with her, just in case there was any trouble that would need a touch of magic.

It would be the last day they had together in Ponyville before Shining’s trip was over. Twilight wanted to make it count.

Twilight woke early, at 7AM on the dot. She woke both her brothers to get them prepared for the day. The schedule listed that she would be the first to bath, Spike would cook them breakfast, the Spike would do his hygeine, and then Shining, and by 8, they would all be dressed, and ready to go.

However as Shining exited the shower himself, drying off his hair as he exited the bathroom, he found something that wasn’t on the schedule. He heard what seemed like bickering, and entered the old part of the library that had been built into the trunk of the great oak tree, and looked down over the railing to see his sister speaking with his two temporary roommates, Vinyl and Octavia.

“Oh hey there you two.” Shining said, coming down the stairs. “What are you two doing here?”

“Hello sailor.” Vinyl said appreciatively.

“We’ve come to pay off a debt. Or at least something close to it.” Octavia said, producing Shining’s scroll.

“Oh hey! I almost forgot about that!” Shining said, skipping down the last few stairs to grab his scroll from them. He tested it out to make sure it was still working, and everything seemed to check out. “Thanks!”

“Guess now you owe us a favor, since we put up our own money to fix it after all.” Vinyl said.

“Oh, its our money when we want to ask someone else a favor now is it?” Octavia asked skeptically.

“Hush you.” Vinyl said quickly.

“I’m sorry you two, but we’ve made plans today.” Twilight said. “And unfortunately Shining will be off leave soon, and needs to leave town tomorrow.”

“Come on just hear us out!” Vinyl said, slapping an arm around Shining’s shoulder. “After all, you wouldn’t want to say no to two friends who you owe a favor two.”

Shining carefully removed Vinyl’s arm from his shoulder. “You two dunked me in a fountain. Which was the reason my Scroll needed repairs in the first place.”

“Which is what I told her.” Octavia added.

“Just give me one minute, okay?” Vinyl requested. “See after our impromptu karaoke session at the Sugarcube Corner, all of us got together, thought, hey, we got some actual talent, lets bring our instruments along, have a band night! We pretty much got both teams, we just need you and Ms. Egghead.”

“Really now? A band night?” Shining asked, intrigued.

“Yes, actually.” Octavia said. “I do have some skill with my Bass after all, Lyra has her Lyre, Rarity claimed to have a good singing voice, and Pinkie Pie said she plays a variety of instruments. And Vinyl is an amateur DJ, for what its worth.”

“Well… I did use to play the Flugelhorn back in High School.” Shining admitted.

“Unfortunately though, as I said earlier, we’ve made plans.” Twilight stated.

“Well hang on Twilight-” Shining interjected. “I was thinking, the weather doesn’t seem too good, looks like we might have a storm scheduled tonight, so-”

“You are not suggesting we throw away our plans, yet again, are you?” Twilight asked tersely.

“Just that we might not have a choice, and you know this could be a good alternative.”

“We are not changing plans.” Twilight told him.

“Well then, if you ever change your minds, you know where we’ll be.” Octavia said, starting to back towards the exit.

“Come on, I want to stay, don’t you want to see this?” Vinyl asked.

“We’ll be leaving.” Octavia restated, dragging her roommate with her out of the library.

“Whats the big deal Twily?” Shining asked his sister.

“My problem is that the entire time you’ve been over here Shining, something or other has gone wrong!”

“Yeah, but that’s no reason we shouldn’t hang out with your friends.”

“Thats all you’ve been doing since you got here!” Twilight yelled. “All you’ve wanted to do is hang out with my ‘friends’, every time we’ve been out we’ve gotten sidetracked into hanging out with them! Not me!”

“I just wanted to get to know your friends thats all!”

“Well if that's all you want, you can just go do that, don’t let me stop you, you haven’t yet!”

“Twily-”

Twilight didn’t let him finish his rebuttal. With her back turned to her brother, she used her telekinesis to fling him out the library doors and onto the street. She finished off by loudly slamming the doors as well.

Shining slowly got up from the pavement at a loss at what to do.

“Well I don’t think it can get any worse than this.”

At that the storm clouds above his head let loose their volume of rain onto him and the rest of Ponyville.

“I had to say it. I HAD to say it.”

-----

Shining started walking aimlessly, looking for a place where he could find some shelter in the rain.

“And I just finished drying my hair too.” Shining muttered to himself. “Should have grabbed my jacket.”

At that moment the Scroll in his pocket vibrated. He fished it out, and found a message from Spike.

‘Don’t worry, I’m doing damage control, I’ll let you know when its safe to come back.’

Shining sighed in relief. Well at least he still had a friend in his little brother. He made his way into a small park, hoping to find a tree that would provide good shelter from the rain. By chance, he spied a girl in a familiar grey uniform.

“Derpy? Is that you?” He asked as he approached.

“Huh?” She turned to see Shining, and quickly adjusted her hat. “Oh hi there.”

“Mind if I sit down next to you?” He asked. She nodded, so he took a spot on the bench next to her.

“What are you doing out here?” Derpy asked him.

“I got kicked out.” Shining explained.

“What happened?”

“I think I said, or did the wrong thing to my sister.” He said. “I guess she got fed up with me not trying to follow her schedules better. I forgot how stubborn she can be about these things. I probably should have paid her more attention.”

Derpy nodded, and kept silent waiting for him to go on.

“I’d been trying to get to know all the people she’s met here in Ponyville. Hang out with them. I think though Twilight wanted me all to herself. Or maybe that's just me being egotistical. You know, she’s a different person from when I joined up. I guess I’m a different person too. If we were the exact same people we used to be, I bet we’d get along just perfect, I’d know exactly what to do around her. It’s amazing how much people can change in such a short time.”

Derpy nodded again.

“So what are you doing here?” Shining asked.

“What?”

“Hanging out alone, in the rain? I know why I’m here, I’m a loser. But I thought your team was at the cafe, why are you here, not there?”

Derpy kind of sank into her seat, trying to make herself smaller. “I um, I… I messed up.”

“That makes two of us then.”

Derpy kept her eyes, low, and started playing with her hands. “I’m a clutz.” She explained. “I’m clumsy, and I constantly mess up.” Shining waited for her to continue. “All the time too! And when I do, everyone gets angry at me for it. I just- I suck as a mailman, I suck as a team leader, I just can’t do anything right!”

“Well… I don’t think that.” Shining told her. “I don’t know how you are as a mailman, but I think you do a decent job as a team leader.”

“You don’t understand.” Derpy said. “You have it easy. You have a family that loves you, you get to be a hero everyday, and you’re not a loser like me.”

“I don’t think that.”

Derpy ripped her hat off, and looked Shining in his eyes for the first time. “I’m sitting in the rain alone so nobody can see me crying. I’m cross-eyed. I mess up everything I touch. I might just end up loosing my job. So yeah, I’m a loser.” Derpy then put her hat back on her head, and averted her gaze. “People used to call me Derpy because of my eyes. My real name is Darlena. It was to make fun of me. Now it's what everyone calls me because nobody uses my real name.”

“... I was going to say that I’m a loser too.” Shining said.

“No you’re not.” Derpy told him.

“I’ll let you in on a secret.” Shining said, leaning in. “I’m actually a giant nerd.” Derpy turned to face him, still not looking him in the eyes. “It’s true! I played the Flugelhorn for Faust sake!” Derpy seemed unconvinced. “I was in Math Club.” That seemed to help convince Derpy. “Yes. Math Club. If I tried to talk to a pretty girl I’d end up speaking gibberish. Usually worse than gibberish. I routinely got picked on by the Polo club. The entire Polo club. Up until High School my little sister was the only friend I had. Imagine being in High School, with your only friend being your little sister. So yeah, I was the King of Nerds. And just because I joined the army, doesn’t mean I stopped being one either.”

“But you’re so…”

“Composed?”

“I was going to say buff.” Derpy said. Shining was only wearing a thin white t-shirt, and the rain had caused it to become see-through.

“Well, I guess, that is one thing the army did change.” Shining remarked. “Still a nerd on the inside though. Also still out in the rain with you.”

Derpy sighed.

“And for what its worth, I meant it when I said I think you make a decent team leader.” Shining told her. “I saw you in action, you managed to keep calm when things went awry, and you do your best to stay upbeat, not to mention that your team listens to you. I think those are very important qualities as a leader.”

“Thanks.” Derpy said. “I try my hardest. Its just that most of the time that doesn’t seem enough.”

“You can’t ask anything more of yourself.” Shining told her. “And if someone else does, I don’t think they are worth you worrying about.”

She nodded. “That… makes a lot of sense I think.”

“Good. Its nice to know I’m doing something right today.” Shining sighed, leaning back to stare at the steel-grey skies. “By the way, I actually think your eyes are kind of cute.”

Derpy blushed rather heavily at that. “R-Really? You, you think so?”

“Yeah.”

A smile spread across Derpy’s face. “Thanks.”

“Your welcome.”

After a moment's hesitation Derpy leaned over and placed a small kiss on Shining’s cheek. Shining jumped at the surprise, and looked back at her with shock on his face.

“Umm… I have a girlfriend.” He said, his voice having jumped a couple octaves.

“O-oh.”

“Yeah.”

They sat in the rain like that in awkward silence.

“Are you two close?” Derpy asked.

“Very very close, yes.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah.”

“Well, a-anyway, I think you and your sister will sort things out.”

“Really?” Shining asked.

“Hm-hmm.” Derpy nodded. “I have a little sister too. And we fight sometimes too. I think it happens with all siblings. But we always forget about the fights not long after they happen. And they’re usually just us trying to do the best for the other, and not really understanding. You know, because we love each other. And, well, I think that your sister is probably the same way.”

“...thanks.”

“Your welcome.” Derpy got up from her seat, her clothes dripping with rainwater. “I think I’ll go join everyone at the cafe anyway. I hope everything works out with your sister Shining.” With that, she readjusted her hat so it no longer obscured her eyes, and marched with purpose to Sugarcube Corner.

***

Shining did relocate to a spot with more shelter from the rain, though he remained just as soaked there as in the rain. When he received an all-clear text from Spike, he made his way back to the Library, with butterflies in his stomach.

He found Twilight and Spike waiting in the main rotunda for him, Twilight looking very remorseful when she saw her brothers disheveled state.

“Hi.” Shining said, hoping that one word would break the tension.

“Twilight has something to say.” Spike said, looking at his sister expectantly.

“I’m sorry for what I did earlier. It was immature of me. I was frustrated at what had been happening during your trip. I felt that we should have you all to ourselves during your trip here.” Twilight said.

Shining smiled. “It’s okay. I probably should have been paying more attention to my little sister while I was here to visit. I’m sorry I didn’t. Hugs?” He threw his arms wide open.

Twilight got up, and gave him a hug, which he returned. Spike got up and joined in. “You’re soaked.” Twilight said.

“It was raining.”

***

They ended up staying in for the rest of the night. They played games, talked, and ordered a pizza.

The next day they found themselves in the train station, with Shining dressed back in his uniform, and with his bags packed, each of the Twilights giving their goodbyes.

“Well, I’ll try to visit as often as I can.” Shining told them. “Though, don’t tell the folks this, but I got into some trouble a while back, and I’m probably going to be reassigned, so visits will be hard to schedule.”

“We’ll miss you bro.” Spike said.

“I’ll miss the both of you.” Shining said. “I had a great time while I was here.”

“Really?” Twilight asked.

“Of course.”

“You got dunked in a fountain by two strangers when you first came here, you found me in a Grimm-Infested forest while we were fighting for our lives, I got covered in honey, we were attacked by a giant boar, and I kicked you out into the rain!” Twilight surmised.

“All of which are going to make great stories to tell my army buddies.” He said with a smile. “Anyway, I should be boarding my train now. You two stay out of trouble. Well as much as you two can.”

“Will do!” Spike said.

“See you soon big brother.” Twilight said.

With that, Shining boarded his train, and within minutes it roared to life, and left the station.

Twilight sighed, and started making the journey out of the station. “Its a bit of a relief that he’s finally left.”

“What, you don’t think his visit here was that bad do you?” Spike asked.

“No, of course not, I was glad to have him here, you know, despite everything else.” Twilight explained. “But there’s something I had to wait for Shining to leave before I started.”

“And what’s that?” Spike asked.

“There’s something going on in this town.” Twilight said. “Something big. And the headmistress knows about it. And she’s not telling us about it. I need to figure out what it is.”

Author's Note:

Sorry if that this chapter took so long to write, and if its not up to par with previous chapters.

This chapter for whatever reason was incredibly difficult to write, along side all the technical problems, like losing all progress on the chapter multiple times, and loosing laptops to write on, my current one is so bad I can't even write at all on it, meaning I have to use public computers to keep writing a the moment.

Again, I have not given up on this story, but while hopefully the next chapter won't be as difficult as write, or take as long to post, please know that it may still be a while. I thank everyone still keeping track of this story for staying faithful.

Comments ( 16 )

I am really glad that you were able to get up another chapter. This chapter was a nice change of pace, with Twilight and Spike being able to be with Shining Armor. It seems that Twilight ias alot of tension between her and her team. And I liked how you made Angel into a faunus in this story.

Yes another chapter I'm so happy that you're continuing this! :pinkiehappy:

Le Nod, I am also happy that you have continued. This is one of my favorite AUs.

Also I like what you did with Angel *ahem* Angelo. Its a really different twist that i haven't seen before.

Lastly, Keep up the good work and don't worry about the wait. I have found that your writing is well worth the wait.

I hope you find a new computer to write on. 0u0

KO please tell me the next chapter won't be long cause this story is getting as rainbow dash would say :rainbowdetermined2: it's 20% cooler.

KO please say the next chapter is coming soon.

6463476

I'd cite that as a big inspiration, yes.

KO when's the next chapter I'm hungry for more adventures.:pinkiehappy::pinkiecrazy:

6464033 KO hope the next chapter is coming soon to see more action.

6464033 KO please say the next chapter is coming soon PLEASE. :pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::rainbowdetermined2:

6547081

I'll be honest, I've been slacking off a lot on the newest chapter. I've had a busy schedule, and have been focusing on some other stories.

Good news, I have started.

Bad news, its only one page.

Good news, if you want you can check out other RWBY stories on my Fanfiction.net account between now and when I finish the newest chapter.

6549995 KO that's fine as long as this story isn't dead I'm happy to know that this is still continuing. :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::rainbowdetermined2:

6550012
I just need a kick in the pants every now and again.

Sorry for bugging you but do you know when the next chapter will be out

Quite good so far

Comment posted by thedarkalicorn deleted Mar 4th, 2019

can some one take up the story since the author is dead?

Login or register to comment