• Published 15th Jul 2014
  • 2,383 Views, 24 Comments

The True Story of Pinkie's Childhood - MistyShineStar

  • ...
4
 24
 2,383

Help Me Be Okay

Pinkie and Dash had finally finished their meal and started on their journey back to the hospital. Pinkie hadn't said much- she only really listened to Rainbow talk about herself, but that was perfectly fine. She understood what it felt like to be so excited to have a new baby sibling. She could still remember when Marble was born. It was an early Saturday morning, and she was born on the same bed that she and everyone else in the family had been born on. There were complications with her birth that almost killed her, as she had her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck when she came out of the womb. Her mother had refused to go to the hospital. Luckily, Marble survived just fine, though it had caused a few neurological issues she would deal with in the future. She was truly a beautiful baby.

"Dashie," Pinkie suddenly piped up, "How would you feel if...maybe...Scootaloo couldn't stay with you?"

The smile on Rainbow's face fell. She stopped pushing Pinkie's wheelchair for a moment. "Why wouldn't she?"

The pink pony bit her lip. She wasn't really sure how to answer that. "Just theoretically," she replied lamely.

Luckily, that seemed suitable enough for the pegasus. "I don't know. I think I would do everything I could to keep that from happening. But if there was absolutely nothing I could do..." to Pinkie's surprise, Dash smiled. "I think I would just want her to be happy. I would be just fine as long as Scoots had parents that loved her."

Pinkie Pie thought for a few minutes as Rainbow continued to push her wheelchair. "Look, I have to level with you," she said suddenly once again. "I'm adopted too, Dash. And adoption is when a foal is given different parents than the ones they were born from." When Rainbow looked confused, Pinkie continued. "Your mom is giving away Scootaloo to someone else."

"No she's not," Rainbow Dash said simply. "You're playing a prank on me. That's sort of a mean joke, Pink."

"I-I'm not joking," Pinkie said in a choked whisper. "I'm sorry, Dash."

Suddenly, she stopped in her tracks. Then she started running at full speed, pushing Pinkie's wheelchair with her.

"Dashie! What are you doing!?" Pinkie screamed. At this point, Rainbow was flying and gripping the wheelchair at the same time, causing it to go at full acceleration. The earth pony gripped the sides of her wheelchair as she watched the scenery around her turn into nothing but streaky blurs.

She didn't respond. Dash could feel hot tears fly from behind her as she continued to push the chair. Pinkie squeezed her eyes shut and prayed she wouldn't fall out.

Then she was still. Pinkie carefully opened one eye. She was in a hospital room right behind Rainbow, who was staring down two blue ponies. Pinkie assumed they must be her parents.

"Why are you giving her away?" Dash said with a stomp. "I didn't know you were giving her away! She's my baby sister! I want to keep her!"

"We can't afford it, sweetheart," the older mare said quietly. "She has problems, Rainbow. Health problems. I love her with all my heart, but we don't have the money or the resources to help her."

"What's wrong with her?" Rainbow further demanded.

This time, her father answered. "Dash, all ponies have a little bit of magic in them. That's what helps unicorns cast spells, or helps earth ponies lift rocks, or..." he paused. "makes pegasi fly. Scootaloo doesn't have enough magic. We didn't even know if she would survive the night. She's going to need magical therapy and supplements for the rest of her life. We don't have the money for it."

"I can raise money!" Dash shrieked, more hot tears falling off of her face. "I can...I can do it somehow! I can run a lemonade stand! I can get a job!"

Her mother smiled sadly. "Oh, honey, that's so sweet. It won't be enough, though, Dash. There's nothing we can do. I promise that her new parents will love her just as much as you do. They'll provide her with everything she needs. She'll be happy, sweetheart. She'll be very happy."

"I understand," Rainbow said, still crying bitterly. Her mother lifted a small bundle of blankets from her bed and gave it to the young mare. A small, orange foal was wrapped up in them.

"I'm going to be there for you, little buddy," Dash said. "Always, no matter what." Then, more quietly, she whispered, "I'm going to become so rich and famous that I can give you everything. I'm going to be a Wonderbolt."

--

"I'm sorry that I dragged you into that," Dash said as she wheeled Pinkie back to her room.

"It's okay," she sighed. "I'm sorry I told you like that. It was none of my business."

"Don't apologize, Pink. I'm glad you told me. And....I think....I think that everything's going to be okay."

She pushed Pinkie Pie through her hospital door. She hesitated, then let out a hasty and awkward "Thank you" before closing the door.

It wasn't long before it opened again.

Mrs. Cake walked through the door and approached Pinkie. She opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted by Pinkie holding her in a tight embrace. "I'm sorry, mom. I love you so much. Thank you for everything." She felt Mrs. Cake's tears staining her coat.

"I'm sorry too, Pinkie. I'm so sorry. I never should have sheltered you so much. You deserved to know."

They stood there like that for what felt like hours. Finally, Pinkie spoke up again. "I'm ready to go home."

Author's Note:

The last time I worked on this, I was 12. I'm now about to head off to college. I was going through my old writings recently, and I realized I never finished this. I think you guys deserve some closure, even if I'm not really a big fan of MLP anymore, so I hope you enjoy.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment