• Published 17th Jul 2014
  • 797 Views, 31 Comments

Trouble in Neo Neighpon - ZeroChill



Betrayed by the cyber society she was raised in, Twilight Sparkle must face against corruption within society and powerful entities if she wishes to clear her name.

  • ...
5
 31
 797

Confrontation

Twilight Sparkle walked down the hallway with steeled nerves. As she was halfway across, several black turrets appeared from all sides of the walls. She arched her body, ready to evade any sort of fire. Much to her surprise, sparkling mist fired out of the turrets. Twilight Sparkle curiously looked at the mist as it hit her body. She looked at her right hoof and saw all of the filth from the sewer drop to the ground.

“Sanitization process complete. Please proceed.” A robotic voice within the hallway announced. Twilight Sparkle raised an eyebrow in suspicion.

"...Okay?" She said confused before smiling and glancing down at her front hooves. “Well, at least I’m free from that disgusting filth.” The nozzles retracted back into the walls while Twilight Sparkle soldiered down the hallway. As she approached the blue door at the end of the hallway, the door automatically lifted itself.

Beyond, there was a giant factory with luminous lines on the black conveyor belts and metallic arms that sparked blue electricity at their ends. The products that were pumped out of the machines on the conveyor belts were strange apparatuses and other forms of machinery. In this room, various ponies lurked the floors and the steel-grated stairs and platforms. Twilight Sparkle’s eyes drifted towards a folding gate from near her doorway. After the gate lifted itself, two anti-gravitational trucks painted in jet-black drove inside of the area into a giant empty space.

“What is going on here?” Two cloaked figures dropped down from the open seats and approached the cargo trailer behind. As the doors to the trailer opened, Twilight Sparkle gasped in horror at what she witnessed; several ponies were bound and gagged by duct tape. Each of the ponies fruitlessly squirmed as their eyes widened fearfully. Their voices were muffled, but their screams can be heard through the tape.

“Shut up!” One of the cloaked figures shouted as it pulled back its right sleeve and revealed an electric pitchfork for a hoof. Electricity surged at the ends of it before the figure jabbed at one of the screaming ponies. The struck pony squealed loudly before he slumped over onto the ground. The remaining conscious ponies bound in the truck fearfully looked into their oppressors.

“Now, if you all don’t want to suffer a twelve-hundred watt shock, I suggest you all remain quiet and cooperate with us.” The other robed figure stated. The ponies who lurked the floor of the factory walked over to the truck. One by one, the bounded ponies were lifted off and were carried through a white door towards a distant wall opposite from where Twilight Sparkle was. As the ponies were lifted out of the area, the factory floor was seemingly empty.

With the entire room analyzed with her sharp eyes, Twilight Sparkle nodded to herself and ran across the floor. Just as she got towards the center of the room, a feminine voice rung from above her.

“And where do you think you’re going?” She stopped in her tracks as soon as the words hit her ears. A white pegasus mare dropped from the ceiling in front of her.

“Get out of my way. I don’t have time to deal with somepony such as yourself.” Twilight Sparkle angrily stated. The mare chuckled to herself.

“Such anger, such decisiveness! I was correct in letting you follow me through the city.” She replied enthusiastically. Twilight Sparkle looked at her with a murderous expression and circled her towards her right.

“Blurred Horizon I presume?” She cautiously asked. Blurred Horizon had a condescending smile on her face as she walked in the pattern as the pony before her had done.

“And you must be the ever-so prodigious Twilight Sparkle. For somepony of your age, you have such mastery over your own technological prowess and developmental skills. We’ve been expecting you for a long time.” She stated.

“It felt way too easy. I wondered why walking into this complex was easier than hacking into a foal’s toy.” Twilight Sparkle strongly stated with a stoic expression. Blurred Horizon’s grin doubled in size and hostility.

“Did you like the little trip we went on? It was quite the eye-opener, was it not?” She asked in a devious tone.

“It wasn’t surprising, but it shouldn’t exist on the streets. The technology we were given in this age was not meant to be used for abuse or criminal acts.” Twilight Sparkle replied. Blurred Horizon laughed harder and with more insanity.

“You are such an innocent-minded filly Twilight. Who do you think brought this technology into existence in the first place?” She asked. “Look all around you; doesn’t this place seem a bit complex for a simple gang-run factory?” Twilight Sparkle cautiously scanned the machines that pumped out machinery. Then, she looked into Blurred Horizon’s eyes.

“Now that you mention it… this factory does seem a bit advanced. What exactly is being made here?” She asked with a mix of curiosity and anger dripping from her voice.

“Everything!” As Blurred Horizon shouted this, her mechanical wing became cloaked in blue electricity. The tip of the wing pointed itself towards Twilight Sparkle’s direction. The electricity cloud around it focused itself around the tip before a powerful laser fired towards its target.

Twilight Sparkle rolled to the right and dashed towards Blurred Horizon. She jumped into the air and swung her right hind leg horizontally. Blurred Horizon quickly lifted her left front hoof and blocked the strike. With the force pushing against her leg, Twilight Sparkle jumped backwards and landed a fair distance away. She quickly held out her left hoof. Right before her right hoof touched a button, a bolt of lightning shot at the space between her hoof and her gauntlet. The lightning struck her chest and caused her to wince.

“Do you think I would really let you hack my biotech implants? You would have better luck trying to clear your name.” Blurred Horizon teased. Twilight Sparkle’s eyes burned with anger as she leaped towards Blurred Horizon with her right front hoof cocked. She launched her hoof towards Blurred Horizon’s face, who simply smiled and lifted her left front hoof. Both hooves collided with each other and Twilight Sparkle fell onto the ground with her hind legs.

“So it really was your gang that framed me!” She shouted loudly. “Why did you do it???” She asked. Blurred Horizon gave a sly grin as she stood up on her hind legs. She bent her legs and extended her left hind leg past Twilight Sparkle.

“Because then I wouldn’t be able to do this!” On the announcement, she swept her leg towards Twilight Sparkle. Twilight Sparkle jumped into the air and somersaulted above Blurred Horizon. With her left hind leg, she kicked Blurred Horizon’s left flank. The blow launched Blurred Horizon halfway across the area and planted her face upon the ground simultaneously. Twilight Sparkle landed on all four of her hooves and turned around.

“Had enough yet?” She stated. As Blurred Horizon got up from the ground, she moved her left front hoof across her lower lip. A few drops of blood were smeared onto her hoof. She smiled and turned around.

“That was a nice move you did there. As much as you don’t want to admit it, you have a killer instinct inside of you. Do you see this?” She stated as she held her hoof out. “You caused me to shed blood on purpose. If you did that without so much as a bat of an eye, then you will very easily shrug off murder like it was nothing.” Twilight Sparkle’s face scrunched into disgust and lifted her right front hoof back.

“I’m not a killer like you are. I don’t take lives just for power or for thrills.” She preached as she held out her left hoof once more. Blurred Horizons smiled and bent her knees down. She moved like a phantasm as she dashed towards Twilight Sparkle. Twilight Sparkle’s eyes have widened in surprise.

In the next moment, she felt a strange force grasp her left hoof and lifted it. As her eyes looked upwards, she saw a bipedal Blurred Horizon that grasped her hoof. With a sadistic smile, Blurred Horizon crushed Twilight Sparkle’s mechanical hoof with a crushing grip. Twilight Sparkle shrieked loudly as pain wracked her body.

“What’s the matter Twilight, can’t handle a little pressure on your implants?” Blurred Horizon cruelly asked as the electricity from her wing sparked. The electricity traveled down into her back and up through her hoof. As the moment it struck her hoof, the pain Twilight Sparkle felt transfigured into searing agony. With the sounds of her screams, Blurred Horizon’s teeth were clenched out of enjoyment as her grip began to bend the metal of Twilight Sparkle’s hoof.

“Stop this at once!” Twilight Sparkle managed to shout through the paralyzing pain as she kicked Blurred Horizon’s face with her right hind leg. The blow of the strike knocked the wind out of Blurred Horizon’s lungs and caused her to drop Twilight Sparkle. As she backed some distance away from her, she dropped onto her front hooves. Her white cheek now had visible bruising underneath it. She tapped it slightly with the reaction of her nerves there screaming loudly.

“You’ll pay for that!” She shouted. Just as she crouched, however, she felt a dull pain on her mechanical wing. As she looked back towards it, the pain sharpened with a thousand needles suddenly that plunged through her flesh. As she looked forward, she saw that Twilight Sparkle had her left front hoof held out with several holographic screens of code above it.

“I couldn’t risk something like that again, so as soon as you dropped me, I went to work on hacking your implants. You’ll be shorted out soon.” Twilight Sparkle announced with a confident smile on her face. As she looked upon Blurred Horizon’s face, the smile began to descend into a shocked maw; Blurred Horizon’s mouth was open with a frightening grin.

“Do you think something as easy as ‘shorting out’ can stop somepony like me?!” Blurred Horizon shouted. She staggered towards Twilight Sparkle and walked up to her face. With her mechanical wing, she stabbed into Twilight Sparkle’s mechanical hoof and twisted it. Blue 0s and 1s uploaded from her wing into the hoof. Twilight Sparkle’s eyes widened from the strike as she tried to move her hoof away. Blurred Horizon moved her snout next to her ear.

“I just uploaded a virus that will cause your implants to go haywire and slowly kill your body from the inside. Reboots don’t work on it and only my death shall rid the virus from your system.” She stated with glee. “I’ve forced you into the rules of nature; it’s either you kill or be killed!” In that moment, Twilight Sparkle winced as she felt a feeling of strong compression overtake her organs. She looked into Blurred Horizon’s crazed expression and looked in her hoof. She kicked Blurred Horizon onto the ground on her back. The wing that pierced her hoof was dislodged.

Twilight Sparkle shoved her chest inside with her right front hoof. Her heart’s beats quickened to the point where she can hear them inside of her head. She loomed over Blurred Horizon with a face clenched in pain.

“The circle of life Twilight… It’s either kill or be killed. No matter what changes are made, that rule will never be changed. It is the reason for the very existence of your hoof and my wing there.” Blurred Horizon stated. “Kill me or die!”

Twilight Sparkle faltered as her right hoof was extended. Ultimately, she moved her right front hoof over Blurred Horizon’s mechanical wing. Her blood chilled as she tightened her grip around the wing. She turned her head back, shut her eyes and cleanly tore the wing out of her body. Various wires covered in blood and other bodily materials appeared on the other side of the wing. Blurred Horizon’s mouth and eyes shot open as the trauma stopped her breathing. Her hoof went limp as a smile of genuine happiness appeared on her face. Twilight Sparkle looked back at the corpse with a crestfallen expression on her face.

“I… took a life to save my own… Was there really no other way?” She somberly stated as she glanced upon her right front hoof. Spatters of foreign blood were present on it. She tilted her head towards the door across the factory floor. “I hope I never have to take another life again…” She softly said to herself.


Spike stood within the sidewalk of Neo Neighpon in a brown trench coat. His eyes glanced at all of the pedestrians that walked along the streets. As his eyes scanned the area, he picked up on the sight of a gray-coated unicorn stallion with yellow eyes. His horn was made of metal down to the center. His pink mane and tail looked frizzled and worn out as he ran towards various ponies on the street. Spike’s ears stood up as the stallion began to speak to a red-coated unicorn mare with a blue mane in front of him.

“Please sir, you have to help me. I-I don’t have enough energy to sate my implants! Please, offer me some of your energy so that this won’t kill me!” The stallion desperately pleaded.

“I’m sorry sir, but none of us have free energy to throw around. You should have thought about that when you paid for whatever you paid for.” The mare stated.

“You don’t understand, I had to pay for my son’s hospital bills! They charged an exorbitant rate that I barely kept up with! I had to pay with my auxiliary energy so that he wouldn’t die! Please, help me!” The stallion explained.

“Sir, no is no. If you beg one more time, I’m going to report you to the EPF.” The mare replied with an irritated tone. The stallion’s eyes widened as she walked away.

“Please, give me some of your energy!” The stallion shouted loudly. A nearby officer glanced over to the stallion, who grasped the hind leg of the mare he spoke with. The mare held her right front hoof up and glanced back at the stallion who grasped her leg. The officer ran over to the mare’s side.

“Is this stallion bothering you ma’am?” He asked in a strict tone.

“Yes officer. This stallion won’t leave me alone because he wants my energy.” She stated with a strict tone. The officer’s helmeted face looked down to the stallion on the ground.

“Sir, you realize that you are disturbing the peace around here, do you not?” He asked plainly.

“Please officer, give me some of your energy. Anything! I feel my implants already taking over my body out of hunger, please!” He pleaded.

“Sir, I’m afraid we have to take you off the streets. Can’t you see these people are busy trying to avoid your situation?” The officer said with disdain in his voice. The stallion aimed his horn towards the officer. The tip of his horn levitated off and charged with an electric current.

“Sorry, but I need that energy bad! You can’t take me awa-“As the stallion said this, the officer lifted his right front hoof and aimed it towards his face. A plasma bullet shot out of it and struck the stallion underneath his chin. The stallion fell onto the ground, knocked out. Spike, who observed the actions unfold before his eyes, shook his head.

“It seems like the situations haven’t changed much since I was last on these streets.” He said to himself.

“That’s one of the things that will never change it seems.” Celestia said as she approached Spike from behind. Spike sharply turned around with a wide-eyed expression.

“Are you going to tease me again, are you Celestia?” He said slightly defensively.

“Don’t be so hasty Spike. I did what I had to do.” Celestia replied. Spike took a deep breath and returned to his previous position.

“So, aren’t you supposed to be going after Twilight?” Spike asked. Celestia shook her head.

“The EPF is waiting outside of the complex as we speak. As you know, the Sunset Suicide Squad is the leading manufacturer of these implants you and I have. That also means they are the main suppliers of the energy we are given. If we do anything that would even slow them down, then all these ponies’ lives would worsen than how they are now.” Spike chuckled underneath his breath.

“That’s a fact I almost forgot. This entire city runs on all these biotech implants we are given. Those same implants are also what cause the world to be in such a bad shape. Ironic how life works, doesn’t it?” Spike asked with a sad smile. “I mean, I just saw one of your officers stun a stallion who desperately needed energy to go back home alive to his family. It doesn’t get any more messed up than that.” At the sound of these words, a crestfallen frown appeared on Celestia’s face.

“Even if I’m the commander, I don’t make the rules that the EPF holds in high regard. I only initialize the rules to be carried out. That authority belongs to the Supreme Cabinet, and it’s as crooked as you can imagine.” She stated. Spike shrugged his shoulders and scoffed.

“It’s all about the money it seems. They make rules that big businesses and such like and their pockets are lined up with gold and energy for years to come.” He mused out. Celestia smirked towards Spike’s direction.

“You seem to be well-knowledgeable in the ways society works. Why did you leave the Sunset Suicide Squad anyways? From what I know, you are a big shot in the gang and would have easily made it to the admin promotion if you wanted to.” She asked.

“I grew tired of everything. I grew tired of stepping over the lives of innocent ponies. I grew tired of corruption. All I wanted to do was to just live my life secluded from the rest of everypony else’s. So, I left and left Shimmer bound to life support just to make my point.” Spike explained with a fond smile. “Life can’t be that easy, especially since it was the first time I met Twilight.” Celestia chuckled at Spike’s words.

“I remember. Twilight explained to me about how she met a strange character and quickly befriended him. Then, I got a call about a disturbance that involved you afterwards.”

“You remembered correctly Celestia. If I had anything to say about Twilight, I’d have to say that she’s innocent. She’s innocent in mind and heart.” As Spike said this, he frowned. “A pony like her shouldn’t be in a world like this. She was better off being in a more natural world filled with sunshines and rainbows, not one wrapped in steel and desolation.” He turned his face towards Celestia’s face. “Do you honestly believe she was behind those crimes?” He asked.

“Truthfully, I do not. I know how Twilight is. She’s the kind of pony who would always the interests of others before her own interests. But, the Supreme Cabinet prioritized her arrest above all else. As somepony who took Twilight in from the slums, it hurts me to just to be one of the ponies who has to bring her to justice.” Celestia stated with a sad tone.

“And that’s why you aren’t present at the compound right now. You don’t want to face her tearful face when she is dragged out by the officers. For a commander, you can be quite pathetic.” Spike teased. Celestia stared daggers into his eyes.

“I still am a commander Spike. I could arrest you and easily make it look like you are guilty of the charges I will give you.” She threatened.

“Geez Celestia, take a chill pill. I was just joking. I know that if pomp comes to circumstance, you toughen up.” Spike stated. Celestia smiled at the words of Spike.

“I know that you know that Spike. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have committed any sort of crimes after you got out of the gang.” As she said this, the apparatus on her chest flickered red seven times. “It looks like I have to go now. I need to check up on the situation of the complex. You know, it was nice talking like this again with you.” She stated.

“Likewise. I hope we can do it again?” Spike asked. Celestia gave a simple nod before a yellow light enshrouded her horn. With a brilliant flash, Celestia disappeared from the area. Spike looked down upon his wrist at the black watch underneath. “It seems like it is almost time for me to play an important role in the story.” He stated as he began to walk down the street.


Twilight Sparkle stood in front of the door where the ponies were taken into. Her hooves still wobbled from the confrontation with Blurred Horizons. Her breathing cycled at an irregular rate. Nonetheless, she stood strong as she faced the hoof.

“There are ponies beyond this door. I can’t afford to let myself fall weak because of what happened, otherwise many more innocent lives would end up perishing. If Sunset Shimmer did find something amazing, then it must not lead to any good.” She thought to herself. She stepped into the door space, ready for what lies beyond.

Author's Note:

The third chapter and stuff is already happening. Also, Why u all stop with the comments?!