• Published 8th May 2015
  • 4,351 Views, 399 Comments

Spike's Shadow - DraconequusMaximus



Sombra has once again returned, but is now powerless. Spike is assigned to be his parole officer, but Sombra soon finds himself hopelessly entangled in a much darker part of Spike's life even his friends and family didn't know about.

  • ...
44
 399
 4,351

PreviousChapters Next
Meeting With The Sandmare And The Shaman

Sombra was floating in the void of his own unconsciousness, at peace with the utter darkness in his mind. This is how Sombra liked it, the dreamless nothingness. Sombra didn't need to think, or feel, or even scheme.

He could vaguely remember the events of his first sampling of poison joke, but even that couldn't make Sombra feel as comfortable as he was while floating in the endless darkness.

This empty, never ending space was the only place Sombra didn't feel any boiling hate or rage at all. It was perfect in it's simplicity, no bright colors, no loud noises, and no light. The only thing Sombra could see if he opened his eyes was his own hooves, though Sombra wasn't really sure how he could without light.

Unfortunately like most good things, Sombra's peace was short-lived.

The surface of Sombra's ocean of solitude was rippling. Something was emerging from the darkness, something not of his imagining. Something bright, something warm, and most importantly, something BIG.

Before Sombra could react a familiar set of purple claws tore through the blackness of his abyssal dream-space.

The metaphorical curtain of darkness was torn asunder, until a wide enough gap could be made for the owner of the claws. Sombra was speechless as Spike invaded the sanctity of his darkness, the one thing Sombra felt no doubts about.

The hole Spike had entered through was full of what seemed to be the night sky, but it soon closed itself off leaving Spike and Sombra alone in the void.

Once Sombra's mind started working again he realized he was absolutely livid.

Sombra ceased his floating and landed on the imagined floor of the monochromatic vastness. In his anger Sombra marched right up to Spike and smacked the confused dragon right in the face.

"How dare you! I have to deal with being your shadow all day, and now you invade my mind?! How are you even here! I don't know how or why I come here! It just happens! I spent a thousand years here, and then another fifteen thanks to you. Why do you keep ruining things for me?!" Sombra shouted at Spike.

Sombra actually lunged at Spike, continually striking him with his armored hooves.

Spike was taken aback, seemingly lost in what was happening. His eyes darted around, hoping for some kind of clarity, only to find inky darkness in all directions. Sombra kept punching Spike as hard and fast as he was capable.

An utterly futile effort, but Spike didn't want to let the distressed Sombra stop. If it helped him, Spike was content to let Sombra tire himself out.

Sombra! Cease your whining! I forced Spike into this place. Spike is the only one besides yourself that can be trusted to stay here with you safely. At least until we are sure about our suspicions.

Sombra ceased his ineffective onslaught, looking around for the source of the new voice.

"I know that voice. This is, ..." Sombra started.

"Luna." Spike finished, sounding only slightly less confused than Sombra.

Indeed it is me, Luna. I would come in person, but as I said before I cannot do so safely. Thus I ripped Spike from his dream and flung him into yours, Sombra.

This an enclosed island I constructed in The Dreaming, or a skerry. I sensed something malign in Sombra's consciousness over a thousand years ago and made sure to separate him from the sleeping minds of other ponies. Spike is here because I was ordered to bring him here.

Both Sombra and Spike took to looking up at that moment, as if Luna were looking down on them. Neither was any closer to understanding what was going on, but now they were much more apt to listen.

"So why am I here exactly? You said you were going to look into Sombra to make sure he was okay, and that he was safe. Does this mean you found something?" Spike asked.

There was nothing but completely empty silence for a moment, as if Luna was hesitating.

We, my sister, myself, and Discord believe Sombra has something to do with your bloodline's mission. I know you had your own suspicions, but we aren't able to pinpoint the source of the malign presence. If Sombra has had contact with one of the dark one's minions it is possible Celestia, myself, or Discord could become likewise infected.

This is why you are needed here personally as a proxy for the Eldest Mare. She cannot dream-walk here alone unless I remove the boundaries around the skerry, and it is too risky to do so. Instead, she will astral project here, using you as a surge protector of sorts, Spike. She is incorruptible, and will sort Sombra out if possible.

Sombra saw Spike understood whatever was happening, as Spike looked remarkably concerned for Sombra.

"If we can't fix Sombra what do you intend to do with him? He's still a pony, and if he was corrupted by one of Dootha's monsters we shouldn't hold him too accountable for his actions." Spike reasoned on Sombra's behalf.

When Luna didn't respond right away Sombra began losing his patience.

"Would anyone like to tell me what's happening?" Sombra asked either Luna or Spike.

Spike looked up into the blackness, waiting for Luna to answer his and Sombra's questions.

I do not know what will happen to you, Sombra. But all will be explained after our task here is complete. Just know, Sombra, if we are successful your memory may well return.

Spike looked back at Sombra, a question in his stare.

"Sombra? Is that true? Did you lose your memory?" Spike asked.

Sombra huffed, but nodded his head to signify that Luna was correct.

We merely need your master here to begin, Spike. Summon her spirit to this plane. You merely need to focus your magic and whisper her true name across the aether-flow of The Dreaming which exists even here in this skerry. Luna reiterated.

Spike nodded, understanding what he needed to do.

"Sombra, I'm gonna need you to just trust us for a minute. Somebody that has dealt with your kind of problem before will be here soon, and everything will be okay. Just do whatever she says, okay?" Spike implored Sombra, seemingly optimistic.

Sombra knew he had little choice in the matter, but the prospect of getting rid of whatever was blocking out his memories was worth any price. If Spike's so-called master could do such a thing Sombra would have to comply to Luna and Spike's whims.

"I will consent to whatever is in store for me. If this is just a dream than you may do whatever needs to be done, so long as my body and mind won't be altered any further than they are now." Sombra agreed.

Spike smiled and took a deep breath, steeling his nerves and calming his mind. Sombra watched Spike perform a series of breathing exercises, and then mumbled something repeatedly, likely some form of mantra. Once he was finished, Spike looked much more together than just a moment ago.

Spike slowly closed his eyes and focused the magic in his body.

"Kawijaksanaan." Spike said aloud.

Sombra had no idea what Spike had said, but it's mere utterance sent a chill down Sombra's spine. The inky void of the skerry seemed to pulsate, as if the entire dimension had reacted the same way as Sombra had. Other than that, the seemingly magical word didn't seem to do anything.

Sombra, Spike, and presumably Luna all waited for a time, only for nothing to happen. Sombra opened his mouth to complain, only to be silenced immediately when a long slash of pure light cut a swath through the inky darkness of the skerry.

A silvery-white mist filtered in through the wound in the blackness. Silent and beautiful, it snaked it's way into the dark world of the skerry before the wound closed. The mist gathered itself, swirling about to create an equine form that seemed rather incomplete.

It was feminine and tall, with glowing yellow eyes.

The equine's silvery-white form was a semi transparent shell, hollow and easily seen through. Below the base of it's head, there were slices just plain missing from it's body. The neck and legs were a series of translucent silver-white rings, and the sleek barrel looked like it had gashes patterned through it's form. It gave off the impression of being striped, though in an over-exaggerated way that made it seem as though she been maliciously sliced.

"I've never seen her like this before. The Eldest Mare title doesn't seem to do her justice." Spike thought out loud.

Sombra and Spike were awestruck, but Spike's face wore an amazed smile rather than a look of mild fear.

The ghostly specter stared at Sombra, or more accurately through him. Sombra suddenly found himself totally immobile, as the Eldest Mare carried out the task she had been called upon for.

It felt like an eternity to Sombra, but eventually the mare freed him from her powerful gaze.

It is much worse than we feared. Sombra is the host of the Devil-God Dootha himself.

Dootha tried to overwrite Sombra's consciousness entirely after taking his body, but the exposure to the elements of harmony wounded him. Once Dootha had regained enough strength to emerge once more it was again injured by the crystal heart, and Sombra's psyche was able to regain control.

The Eldest Mare's voice seemed to be made up of countless feminine voices, as if a grand choir of a thousand or more mares were speaking at once. Had Sombra been hearing her with his physical form's ears, he was almost certain he would have bled from them.

More importantly, Sombra felt the emptiness in his chest again. This time much more painfully, even though it was only his dream-body. Then a sudden lurching, sick feeling hit Sombra right in the gut. He needed no convincing, for Sombra knew the Eldest Mare's words were true as soon as they reached his ears.

Sombra knew that everything he knew of himself was a machination of some sinister force far beyond him.

Spike looked equally disturbed, and the color seemed to have drained from the scales on his face almost entirely. He seemed very close to panicking, and was desperately looking from The Eldest Mare to Sombra, and down to his own clawed hands. Spike seemed as though a truly tremendous weight was pressing down upon him.

If this is true there is no time to waste! We must either extract Dootha so Spike may do away with it as planned, or Spike will need to destroy them both. The safety of the world is at stake! Luna practically demanded.

Spike seemed to lose more of his normally bright purple hue, almost a pale lilac now.

"I can't hurt a pony. Even if Dootha is inside of Sombra, Sombra is still the one in control right now." Spike said looking to the ghostly mare, a pleading look on his face.

The Eldest Mare nodded in agreement, much to Spike and Sombra's mutual relief.

Dootha is bonded to Sombra almost completely. Dootha resides in the former location of Sombra's soul, taking it's place. Currently, there are none alive powerful enough to remove him. Sombra must reclaim his soul first, or Dootha will resume control once he finishes recovering.

We will continue as planned, but must greatly accelerate our preparations.

Spike will be forced to achieve his mastery over the magics of his ancestors very soon, and Sombra will be a key player in the coming events. We will speak more in the physical world, as being here drains me. I am already in your home in the waking world, Spike. The Eldest Mare told them sternly.

In a burst of white light, The Eldest Mare was gone.

There was no trace of her, and the inky blackness of the skerry seemed somehow infinitely darker than before without her. Everyone that remained was silent for a time, unsure of what to say. The only thing clear between Sombra, Spike, and Luna was that the Eldest Mare's words were absolute.

Luna decided it best to break the tension after several minutes of silence

Well then, I will do my part. I will come to your dwelling when I judge you ready to learn from me. I will tell my sister to do the same.

Sombra is now your responsibility more than ever, Spike. And you must keep vigilant in your watch. Do all you can to prepare, and to suppress the demon if possible. I will force you both awake momentarily, as I imagine your guest wishes not to wait.

With that, both Spike and Sombra began to feel drowsy. Before say could say anything they began falling, or at least experiencing the sensation of falling. It was a strange heavy sensation, and the fall quickly shifted from down to up right before the darkness gave way to light.

Back In Spike's Bedroom

The unconscious bodies of Sombra and Spike shot awake, both of them made alert once again. They both gasped for air, looking to the other to see if they had been dreaming. It was evident that both of them had indeed experienced the otherworldly dream-meeting.

Sombra and Spike were alerted to the sound of the door opening, an equine form standing there.

"I know things are still unclear, but we must prepare for the threat that draws near. I have already devised our first step, just now as the two of you slept." The figure's somewhat soothing feminine voice said from the doorway.

Suddenly without prompting the torches Spike used to light his room ignited into ordinary orange flames. Sombra could now see the figure in the doorway as a mare, somewhat unlike any Sombra had ever seen.

She was a light-gray color, and darker gray stripes marked her coat along much of her body. Though she seemed sleek, she was still more powerfully built than most ponies. Her tail was styled rather plainly, and the mane on her head was in a tall Mohawk that got shorter as it traveled back. Her neck was covered in gold bands, and she wore some gold rings on one of her forelegs as well, along with large golden earrings. Upon her flank was a stylized sun-spiral mark in the same dark-gray as the stripes.

"Hey, Zecora... So, I guess that wasn't just a nightmare then." Spike greeted unenthusiastically.

Zecora shook her head no, confirming Spike's fears.

"There is no way that ghost-mare is some striped earth pony. Earth ponies don't have any..." Sombra started.

Zecora's eyes had begun glowing the unearthly yellow of the Eldest Mare's eyes.

Sombra once again found himself unable to speak as Zecora's eyes gazed upon him, alleviating Sombra's doubt quite fast.

"Zecora is a Zebra, a striped species of equine far more connected to the universe than most other creatures in the world. Zecora doubly so, since she's spent thousands of years in this world, watching over things for when Dootha returned." Spike explained, much calmer now that he was in his own home.

Sombra looked her over, seeming rather unimpressed with her physical form when comparing it to her spiritual self.

"So that makes you an immortal as well I suppose? It's not really the most exclusive club then, is it?" Sombra joked, not meeting Zecora's eyes.

Zecora smirked at that. The kind of smirk a parent has when they're about to enjoy correcting an innocent child. There was no malice in it, but it bothered Sombra, not that he dared say anything of it.

"I am no more immortal than any other equine. I have merely lived and died a great many times." Zecora responded casually.

Sombra once again looked up to Spike for clarification. Spike in turn looked to Zecora who nodded, giving Spike permission to tell Sombra everything he knew. She would have done it, but thinking of so many rhymes on the spot was needlessly stressful.

"I think we should all go upstairs and talk about this. You're a part of this just as much as I am now, Sombra. Just... try and keep optimistic about things." Spike told Sombra apologetically.

Sombra followed Spike and Zecora upstairs, thinking about the being resting inside of him. Whatever Dootha was, Sombra knew that he was responsible for the loss of his memories. Sombra would be sure to make him pay for ruining his life.

Author's Note:

Okay, getting to the first major plot point! Woo! Just give me a little while to finish editing the other chapters necessary to understand this.

To further elaborate, Zecora's bloodline of horses became zebras, and from both the horses and zebras intermingling with each other and other compatible species and mingling their hybrid bloodlines over and over after countless generations, ponies were born.

Also, Kawijaksanaan means wisdom in Swahili, so I thought it fit.

Hope you guys will stick around~! :heart:

PreviousChapters Next